Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

gutenberg wrote: »
    Started Philippe Sands' 'The Ratline' about the Nazi Otto van Wachter, his wartime career and his escape after the end of WW2. I'm a few chapters in and it's already gripping.

I loved Sands' East West Street so couldn't wait for this one (had to wait for husband to finish it first, grrr!).

Great books! Was lucky to attend a lecture of his a few years ago. What an amazing speaker, so animated and engaging.

Disobedience by Naomi Alderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Great books! Was lucky to attend a lecture of his a few years ago. What an amazing speaker, so animated and engaging.

Disobedience by Naomi Alderman.

I saw him talk about the book at the virtual Hay Festival this year and yes, he was very engaging - can imagine even more so in person!

I've read Alderman's The Power and liked it, would be interested to know about her other books.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Small God's might be his best book in the series standalone or otherwise.

Unrelated to Prachett I would highly recommend the recently deceased Carlos Ruiz Zafons series Cemetery of Forgotten Books which begins with "Shadow of the Wind" outside of a cracking story the man had a real love for books

I loved Shadow of the Wind, no idea it was part of a series. How do the others compare?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 24,492 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I loved Shadow of the Wind, no idea it was part of a series. How do the others compare?

I think it is widely accepted to be the best of the 4 but my favourite is number 2 "The Angels Game" because I loved the protagonist and he's probably my favourite literary character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Reading Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor...he is a great historian and manages to write it in a way that you don't get too bogged down with a wall of dates and names. A very easy read for a war history book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Trudging through The Human by Neal Asher. Oh it is so tedious. I've liked his other books but this one is just not hitting the spot. Which leads me to admitting I had to look up the online dictionary to find out what a bell end was, regarding 52 ways Britain was.
    I'd never have guessed!
    Does anyone like Barbara Nadel's books set in Istanbul?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Reading Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor...he is a great historian and manages to write it in a way that you don't get too bogged down with a wall of dates and names. A very easy read for a war history book.

Berlin is equally as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

If you like Beevor you’ll also like Max Hastings books (at least I do!).

If you haven’t red them yet I’d recommend Hastings books Nemesis (about WW2 in the pacific region) and Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

I'm reading the first Game of Thrones book for the first time. I've already watched the series. I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'm hoping Winds of Winter gets released soon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Phoenix32 wrote: »
    ...I'm hoping Winds of Winter gets released soon!

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

griffin100 wrote: »

If you haven’t red them yet I’d recommend Hastings books Nemesis (about WW2 in the pacific region) and Vietnam.

Just finished Hastings' Chastise on the dambusters raid. Not as detailed or absorbing as the vietnam book, but still a decent read.

Tony Judt:Post War a detailed look at the rebuilding and aftermath of post WW2 Europe from the fall of Berlin up to 2000s

And a nice accompaniment to that is Robert Gerwarths The Vanquished which is the same jist but covering the interwar years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The Undoing project by Michael Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Slowly getting through zero zero zero by roberto saviano. heads not in place for reading much at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I read different books on the go. I've slowed down a good bit. Wasn't bothered with TV at the start of 'rona and with the decent weather, was outside a lot which is generally where I enjoy reading.

So at the moment, I'm reading

Black Swan- Only started it but really like the gist of it so far. Seems to be about how we as humans think that we can rationalize away everything as an impossibility unless we see it. We are great at talking retrospectively about things but completely incapable to see the bigger picture. And this affects everyone, just some people are able to waffle better to give the idea that they know what's happening.

1984- No introduction needed. Got obsessed with Soviet Union and totalitarian regimes over last few months and it took me to this book.

Europe- The struggle of supremacy 1453 to the Present- A bit rigorous for my liking but when you get into it it's good. Interesting to get an understanding of history from the German perspective. I feel in Ireland, everyting is from the Anglo POV.

I read different books on the go. I've slowed down a good bit. Wasn't bothered with TV at the start of 'rona and with the decent weather, was outside a lot which is generally where I enjoy reading.

So at the moment, I'm reading

Black Swan- Only started it but really like the gist of it so far. Seems to be about how we as humans think that we can rationalize away everything as an impossibility unless we see it. We are great at talking retrospectively about things but completely incapable to see the bigger picture. And this affects everyone, just some people are able to waffle better to give the idea that they know what's happening.

1984- No introduction needed. Got obsessed with Soviet Union and totalitarian regimes over last few months and it took me to this book.

Europe- The struggle of supremacy 1453 to the Present- A bit rigorous for my liking but when you get into it it's good. Interesting to get an understanding of history from the German perspective. I feel in Ireland, everyting is from the Anglo POV.

1453 onwards that must be some big book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

good shout as Vietnam and even the pacific theatre wouldn't be something I'd be too familiar with

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Mirror and The Light by Hillary Mantel - The concluding novel of the Thomas Cromwell saga. In many ways this is a brilliant novel. It brings the history to life amazingly well, the quality of Mantel's prose is top notch - she has a style that's poetic but yet very earthy and even horrifying when required, she's surely amongst the first rank of contemporary novelists - the plotting and the bringing together of disparate strands of narrative is often breathtaking, there's individual scenes and interactions between characters that are as good as fiction gets. It's first class historical fiction, first class literature really, and if you're a fan of the previous books of the series you'll want to read this. They're an outstanding series of books all in all.

But it does go on. The middle section sags and with the thing running to 900 pages there is a lot of middle section. Bring Up The Bodies was so tight and focused in comparison, whereas this just gives you more of everything, which isn't a wholly terrible thing, but a definite readers fatigue can assert itself after a while. For all it's brilliance there are times you find yourself wondering how many pages are left - if it was about 300 pages shorter I don't know if it would have been any the worse for it. I still recommend it though.

So after that beast I've decided to go for something light. I started Infinite Jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

breezy1985 wrote: »
    1453 onwards that must be some big book

Ah man, needed to open the double doors out the back to get it in. Thing is humongous.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished The Ratline. I enjoyed but thought the final section, the more 'investigative' bit, dragged on compared to the first half.

I'm now reading Isabel Wilkerson's The Warmth of Other Suns about the Great Migration of African Americans from southern states in the early 20th century, to escape Jim Crow laws. I heard the book discussed on a podcast and it sounded brilliant so I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

I recently finished Hidden Valley Road. I really enjoyed it. Fascinating study of an American family.

Currently reading 'The Uninhabitable Earth'. Sobering and thought provoking but I am also learning alot and it is prompting me to research and learn about many things so half way through and I recommend.

Deacon King Kong for me at the moment, it's pretty different. Get plenty of funny moments in conjunction with the more dark aspect of the Projects. If your a fan of things like The Wire, you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LiteraryFan

I too am reading A Traveller at the Gates of Wisdom – halfway through. It's very different to his other work, don't you think?

I see he's doing an interview with An Post tomorrow, might be interesting to see if he addresses his approach to this work compared to previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The Grand Chessboard by David Talbot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

James Hogan..... Echoes of an Alien Sky.

It's sci-fi and it's tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

A Private Cathedral
    (Dave Robicheaux #23)
    by James Lee Burke

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The dresden files by Jim butcher

I'm on #2 at the moment, fools gold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished City of Bohane and not really sure what to make of it. The plot was a bit thin but the study of A dystopic West of Ireland city In 2053 and its inhabitants was interesting. Reminded me of Gangs of New York for the costumes and violence and Deadwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

pavb2 wrote: »
    Just finished The City of Bohane and not really sure what to make of it. The plot was a bit thin but the study of A dystopic West of Ireland city In 2053 and its inhabitants was interesting. Reminded me of Gangs of New York for the costumes and violence and Deadwood.

Not read his latest, but my take on Barry is that his interesting and clever ideas are better suited to the short story format. City of Bohane didnt sutain my attention and Beatlebone lost me even before half way. Like the short story collections, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The dresden files by Jim butcher

I'm on #2 at the moment, fools gold moon

It's a great series. And easy reading.

Advertisement