Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Butcher Boy. Pretty grim read.

Great book.

If you enjoyed it I’d recommend checking out ‘The Dead School’ and ‘Emerald Germs of Ireland’.

McCabe is a great writer.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Great book.

If you enjoyed it I’d recommend checking out ‘The Dead School’ and ‘Emerald Germs of Ireland’.

McCabe is a great writer.

+1 ... Black humour at its finest. Breakfast on Pluto is great too.

A Gentleman in Moscow, about 60 pages in and finding it a bit dull. The style of writing is nice and pleasant but I just find it a bit boring tbh, I'll give it another 60 before I make a call on whether or not to abandon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Arghus wrote: »
    The last paper and Ink book I finished was The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold

It is what it says on the tin - A look at the lives of five very unfortunate women. The historical research is very impressive and skillfully woven into a very readable whole. The book paints a very comprehensive picture of the misery and wretchedness of ordinary life for most people in the Victorian England of that time. Basically, you wouldn't have wanted to be working class back then. And the book manages to not be repetitive, showing how it was entirely different set of individual circumstances and history that led each of the women to their eventual end. And it is about the lives of these women, not about the manner of their deaths. It's a rare true crime book that can't be accused to being exploitative.

Recommended.

I started it right after you recommended it, then my daughter was in hospital for a couple of weeks and I couldn't get any reading done and back to it now.

I'm on his third victim (Elisabeth Gustafsdotter, Sweden), and comprehensive is right. Its like a short biography on each of the victims, with scant information on the actual murder scenes and investigations, which I'm finding quite tiring but I'll hammer away at it.

That said I'm finding the description of life as a poor person in London at the time very informative, it must have been absolutely dreadful. I love London so I keep finding myself going back to find the locations mentioned in the book.

Although not what I was looking for, and I'm finding the biographies of the victims tiring but that could be my situation at present, it is a very good book and I could see myself recommending it to people interested in Jack the Rippers victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs. I have to admit, I'm kind of loving it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just finished Fate is the hunter by Ernst Gann, aviation related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭bmc58

RED NOTICE by Bill Browder.Read it during lockdown.Read it and get a look at how the scumbag Putin works.The author got the Magnitsky act passed in the US Senate.Corruption is rife in Russia and those in high office are untoutchable.A chilling read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Currently reading The Last Jews in Berlin by Leonard Gross. It's a summary of the lives and survival tactics of a number of Jews who managed to remain alive and somewhat free in Berlin during the Second World War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Currently reading The Last Jews in Berlin by Leonard Gross. It's a summary of the lives and survival tactics of a number of Jews who managed to remain alive and somewhat free in Berlin during the Second World War.

I've visited holocaust museums in Israel, the Simon Wiesenthal Center in NYC and Auschwitz, now this is something I'd get my teeth into.

I'm reading "American Dirt", Jeanine Cummins. Frickin hell, it's a book that just grips you from the very first page. It feels like the best book I've read in a long time, and I'm only a few chapters in. Cannot put it down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Gone back to old school fantasy , one of my favourite books and read at a young age . Magician by Raymond E Feist.

Remember queueing up to get my trilogoy of Midkemia tbooks signed in Easons many years ago (all 3 got chewed to bits by a boxer pup !) . Was at the age where I was into DnD ande asked him if he was ever gonna release any modules for his universe ....he kindly told me to check out ADnD and nothing to stop me creating it myself :)

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs. I have to admit, I'm kind of loving it!

I read that a couple of years ago, enjoyed it but didn't like the movie.

American Dirt next for me so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭bmc58

Rereading The Stand by Stephen King

Brilliant author,if you like to be scared.

Just as an FYI, you can order library books online again. In case anyone else apart from me has been eagerly awaiting this date ... I've a very long list to start working through! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My library used to have a place where you could drop in unwanted books. It was great for decluttering my own read piile, as well as picking up other books that look interesting. They're not back to doing that yet, though I await that moment eagerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Just as an FYI, you can order library books online again. In case anyone else apart from me has been eagerly awaiting this date ... I've a very long list to start working through! :)
    Got an email that two books are ready for me this morning. Delighted, the all-Ireland loan thing was the best thing the libraries have ever done.

megaten wrote: »
    Got an email that two books are ready for me this morning. Delighted, the all-Ireland loan thing was the best thing the libraries have ever done.

It's great isn't it, and it's also super handy being able ro return anywhere in the country, I get around! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am having to make do with rereading some old books as I have not been out to buy any new or secondhand ones. I tend to buy in shops and not online. At the moment I am going through two books, one for evening reading, and one at the weekend. 'Teach us to sit still' and 'Othello'

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

It's great isn't it, and it's also super handy being able ro return anywhere in the country, I get around! :o
    It just expands the catalog by such a massive degree and makes the smaller branch libraries so much more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished Michelle Obama book which was enjoyable for an autobiography.

Next up Emma Donoghue The Pull of the Stars about Spanish Flu in Dublin in 1918 so should be an interesting read especially at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

I'm reading "American Dirt", Jeanine Cummins. Frickin hell, it's a book that just grips you from the very first page. It feels like the best book I've read in a long time, and I'm only a few chapters in. Cannot put it down!

I agree, fantastic read, it was so tense....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I am reading Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. It just feels like a teenage girls fantasy stuck in a 1920s Errol Flynn movie, father than a sci fi. I'll try to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭farmerval

Maybe you should talk to someone, a Therapist, Her Therapist, and our lives revealed by Lori Gottlieb

Basic story, a therapist in the midst of a personal crises attends another therapist, the book is about her own patients and also her own therapy, so a look from both sides of the couch.
    Well written, easy read yet quite revealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Homer's Odyssey - it's brilliant, keep imagining the old argonauts movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Dracula.
    No explanation needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Started John Lanchester's The Wall. Only a few chapters in so I'm reserving judgment. Interesting premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I just finished How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee. It was quite an emotional read at times. It is about a woman's experience as a comfort woman in Singapore during WW2. Horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The woods by Harlan coben....it's good trashy fun

I have to say I loved sphere by Michael Crichton the film was useless in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A Girl From Nowhere - James Maxwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

Mars Bar wrote: »
    A Girl From Nowhere - James Maxwell

I read that too as an Amazon free read thing.
    Was grand, if a little formulaic.

Advertisement