Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 4a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

WEST wrote: »
    My 4A 5G has been dispatched and it is due to arrive in the next two days. Original estimated delivery date was the 3rd-4th Dec.

Cool, you ordered on the 5th, didn't you?
    I'm getting excited now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

I did, very early on the 5th though :)

Trying to decide between the 4a and 4a 5g, as someone who likes to take photos outside and I'll doubt I'll ever use 5g in the next few years. Is it worth paying the €100 extra for the 5g version, for those budding photographers among us do you use the wide angle lens offen?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

My 4A 5G has been dispatched and it is due to arrive in the next two days. Original estimated delivery date was the 3rd-4th Dec.

Mine has just dispatched as well :D

Ordered a couple of cases as well:

Spigen Liquid Air:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08D6429BD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Caseology Parallax: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08D1V4F4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any experience of these?

I did, very early on the 5th though :)

My order's status has now changed to "Shipped".
    Due to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Finally got round to ordering pixel 4A 5G today :-)

Can anyone recommend a good case to put it in?

Impressed with the speed of delivery ordered coming up to midday yesterday and it was dispatched from a warehouse in or around Eindhoven and I should have it my hand by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Finally bit the bullet and ordered one after debating it for weeks. The Oneplus Nord was the other contender but I think the 4a will suit me better. Handy that's slightly cheaper in Argos this week than in the Google store so can collect it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Been using this for a few hours now and I love it! A breeze to set up. So smooth to use and very light and compact. Pleased that I took the plunge.

Mine is still in the box. Going to see if I can get the headphones before Christmas. If I can, I'll set up the phone. Otherwise, I'll keep the phone as a Christmas Day present to myself :D

• Advertisement

So much for claiming the headphones. I submitted the claim last Wednesday and still no update, despite them saying it'll take "up to 2 working days" to check the claim.

Heroditas wrote: »
    So much for claiming the headphones. I submitted the claim last Wednesday and still no update, despite them saying it'll take "up to 2 working days" to check the claim.

Things are moving really slowly with the promotions team. I made two claims for the Pixel 5, the first took a day to be validated, but the second had nothing after a week. I ended up calling them and they validated the claim over the phone.

Some people with the Pixel 5 have just started receiving their headphones after claiming a couple of months ago. I have one of my sets arriving today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Downloaded a 192MB software/security update the other day.

I'd swear my phone scanned what I posted earlier. Just received a message saying the claim has been validated and I'll receive the headphones within 60 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'd swear my phone scanned what I posted earlier. Just received a message saying the claim has been validated and I'll receive the headphones within 60 days :D

Absolutely 100%!!! Or more probably a vague coincidence.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Absolutely 100%!!! Or more probably a vague coincidence.

The former makes a better story though :D

*Put on tinfoil hat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Advise getting a screen protector for one of these! GF's 4a took a small fall over the weekend (out of the car as we parked, so not from a height.)
    It had a case on but still cracked the screen at the corner and rippled up.

Google offered to fix it or else their partner iSmash, but they're based in UK so I feel Brexit may make that more difficult than it needs to be. Opted for Google repair in the end as it _may_ be in Ireland..they're sending out box/prepaid label.

Suppose it's one of the downsides of going with a Google phone as they're likely not as common for spare parts repairs in Ireland ..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

How much is Google charging for repair? The same thing happened to me.
    Shlippery wrote: »
    Advise getting a screen protector for one of these! GF's 4a took a small fall over the weekend (out of the car as we parked, so not from a height.)
    It had a case on but still cracked the screen at the corner and rippled up.

Google offered to fix it or else their partner iSmash, but they're based in UK so I feel Brexit may make that more difficult than it needs to be. Opted for Google repair in the end as it _may_ be in Ireland..they're sending out box/prepaid label.

Suppose it's one of the downsides of going with a Google phone as they're likely not as common for spare parts repairs in Ireland ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

€114 for a prepaid label /box that they send out ... https://store.google.com/ie/repaircenter

Hopefully it will be a quick turnaround!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭aireng

Hi Everyone,
    I just bought a pixel 4a, love the phone but I can't get wifi calling to enable. I'm on Eir and all my other phones work with wifi calling. The option to turn it on is hidden and using the secret menu it shows but is greyed out and I cant change it. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

aireng wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I just bought a pixel 4a, love the phone but I can't get wifi calling to enable. I'm on Eir and all my other phones work with wifi calling. The option to turn it on is hidden and using the secret menu it shows but is greyed out and I cant change it. Any suggestions?

I've contacted eir about this on other phones and was told that they don't support it on the back end...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭aireng

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've contacted eir about this on other phones and was told that they don't support it on the back end...

Any way round it?

aireng wrote: »
    Any way round it?

Not that I know of... They'd prefer you to make calls in a way that makes more money for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭DopeTech

€349 now on Vodafone.ie Should be unlocked so you can use it on any network. Not sure if a topup is required.

DopeTech wrote: »
    €349 now on Vodafone.ie Should be unlocked so you can use it on any network. Not sure if a topup is required.

It was €300 with switch and save last time I looked (€400 with €100 discount for switching). If not in a rush, I'd wait for the next time they offer something similar.

The update regarding this is ... there is no update. I'm still waiting to receive the headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

How are current owners of this phone finding it? I am looking to upgrade from my Moto G4 and this seems a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Basil3 wrote: »
    It was €300 with switch and save last time I looked (€400 with €100 discount for switching). If not in a rush, I'd wait for the next time they offer something similar.

Just a heads up, €279 now, big thread in BA if you haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

How are current owners of this phone finding it? I am looking to upgrade from my Moto G4 and this seems a good option.

I'm loving it. I came from a Oneplus 5 which was a flagship in 2017 and it feels like quite an upgrade. The Pixel's camera is insane and it's just very nice to use in general; I really like the gestures and the fingerprint reader being on the back.

I liked the idea of a compact phone as I was just about able to use my OP5 with one hand so didn't really want to go bigger than it in size. I'm usually a no-case man but the 4A almost feels a bit dinky in the hand and the matt black finish on it feels great but the downside to that is it's a bit slippy so I got the official google fabric case which though pricey, is a really great case for the feel in the hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Getting this hopefully, anyone go down the road of putting graphene os on it? Any thoughts on the degoogled experience..

Advertisement