Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 4a

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Got the notification for this a few days ago but have ignored it -- post back when it installs or if there are any issues that should be aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It looks like my Pixel 4A 5G is on its last legs, 15 months after I got it.

I've found it nothing but a disappointment, to be honest. My previous phone was a One Plus, purchased in September 2017 (so, almost 4 years of service), which had savage battery capacity.

The Pixel, on the other hand, seemed incapable of basic functions such as accepting phone calls.

Did I just get a Monday morning handset??

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Anyone have a suggestion for a modern replacement for a Pixel 4a (non 5G)?

Looking to keep to a similar size handset, just update the H/W to something a bit newer with fresher battery etc

Thanks in Advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

The built-in Google Phone dialler is terrible. I'm using TruePhone for the last year on a 4a5g for work and its flawless.

Prior to that, with the built-in dialler it would vary from call to call where the phone would vibrate but not ring, would vibrate and ring but nothing would show on screen to actually allow you answer the call, or outright wouldn't notify me at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is this the final security update that's out now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭wassie

Possibly. According to https://endoflife.date/pixel

Pixel 4a: Active & Security updates both finish in on 19 Aug 2023.

Pixel 4a(5G) Active & Security updates both finish in on 04 Nov2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

I have the 4A 5G just over two years and the only problem/s seem to be the battery isnt great (mobile data eats it) and it can get too hot an google photos wont upload

I got a Xiaomi powerbank that will do fast charge and a long long usb c to usb c cable so if needs be stick the powerbank in a bag an have the cable come out of the zip and charge the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

My mam is still using her 4a and was recently querying a mark on the screen. It's like a large smudge that can't be wiped off, it can only really be seen when the screen is black.

Is it just cosmetic or it something else wrong with it? She's concerned it's from leaving it charging overnight, though there's no battery bulge or crashing/wonkiness that comes with a bad battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭wassie

Looks more like physical damage to the glass, possibly even chemically etched.

If I where to hazard a guess, given the location on the screen, it looks like the area where a right handed person would be scrolling most often with their finger. Repeated exposure to any residual chemicals on the finger(s), such as makeup or cleaning agents, or long period may cause the damage. Again, this is just a guess and not definitive by any means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Will see what the 8 is like and perhaps get a 7 (assuming the price will drop). Can give the 4a to my sister as a spare phone, my nephew keeps messing with her Samsung or dropping it in water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'm still on the 4a , 2.5 years and have to say it's been great. Battery still excellent, which is a plus as I'd come from IPhones where battery would be terrible after a couple of years.

Cracked screen 2 weeks ago. Still usable but I need to get something new.

Any suggestions as a good follow on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

6a, it's great. I also moved from a 4a

That's what I'm thinking. Was only out of curiosity I was wondering about other options

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Probably out of my budget, don't really want to go over €350

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Has anyone got Wifi calling working on the 4a?

I've just got it enabled now on my own 6a with three, so trying my wife's 4a but don't see the menu option to turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you want the camera 6a. If you want better performance, screen, and battery arguably there's better bang for buck in Xiaomi and other brands. Personally I went for a 6a when I broke my 4a5G for the camera, stock (ish) android, and smaller size phone.

Advertisement