Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 4a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Vodafone not stocking this? Found it much quicker to buy the Pixel 5 off them than direct from Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I think I'll have to cancel the 4a 5g order and reorder it. I won't get the phone until 34 days after I placed the order and have to wait before claiming the headphones. That leaves me outside the 45 day window to claim them. :(

Delivery date still says the 9th to 10th of December if I order the phone this morning. No benefit to ordering last week by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Heroditas wrote: »
    I think I'll have to cancel the 4a 5g order and reorder it. I won't get the phone until 34 days after I placed the order and have to wait before claiming the headphones. That leaves me outside the 45 day window to claim them. :(

Delivery date still says the 9th to 10th of December if I order the phone this morning. No benefit to ordering last week by the looks of it.

Why would you have to wait? I ordered on day 1 as well and expected delivery is the same as yours. How does this leave us outside the 45 days (if we get the phone after 34)?

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

if you reorder, it's likely that your shipment will be put back also...

• Advertisement

Issac wrote: »
    Why would you have to wait? I ordered on day 1 as well and expected delivery is the same as yours. How does this leave us outside the 45 days (if we get the phone after 34)?

A chronic inability to count by the looks of it! Guess I leave it as is! :D

:pac::pac::pac:

Did any funds leave your account (or go on hold)? I got the order confirmation but no sign of any holds on my account (used a Visa Debit card to order)

Did any funds leave your account (or go on hold)? I got the order confirmation but no sign of any holds on my account (used a Visa Debit card to order)

No nothing yet like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Bought the 4a last week from the google store - Ordered on Thursday morning received Friday afternoon.

Phone seems good (moved from Iphone)
    It has has a couple of paused moments but nothing major.

Not sure is its possible but on android is there a way to show the number of missed messages, phone calls etc rather than just a simple bubble beside the icon?

• Advertisement

Bought the 4a last week from the google store - Ordered on Thursday morning received Friday afternoon.

Phone seems good (moved from Iphone)
    It has has a couple of paused moments but nothing major.

Not sure is its possible but on android is there a way to show the number of missed messages, phone calls etc rather than just a simple bubble beside the icon?

Ah, the unread message count....the most annoying feature of iOS. It always showed over 3000 unread Gmail messages for me.

I don't think the stock launcher does unread counts, but if you use a launcher like Nova, you can enable them.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Ah, the unread message count....the most annoying feature of iOS. It always showed over 3000 unread Gmail messages for me.

I don't think the stock launcher does unread counts, but if you use a launcher like Nova, you can enable them.

thanks
    I always though this was a great feature on iOS but it could be as case that I am just used to seeing it etc
    Will try one of the launcher to see if that helps - thanks

thanks
    I always though this was a great feature on iOS but it could be as case that I am just used to seeing it etc
    Will try one of the launcher to see if that helps - thanks

One thing to bear in mind, at least with Nova, is that if you swipe the notification away, the count will also clear from the icon on your home screen. I'm not sure whether it persists with other launchers.

One thing to bear in mind, at least with Nova, is that if you swipe the notification away, the count will also clear from the icon on your home screen. I'm not sure whether it persists with other launchers.

Thanks - I was reading that alright.,
    I would have thought showing the count would be a fairly standard feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you have a ton of unread emails you are not using email as its intended. I think it illustrates that the whole Gmail Label thing isn't that intuitive for many people. IOS the same.

The Badge count can be very useful.On Windows Phone you could have multiple inbox tiles for different accounts and even folders. So you could have a important inbox, or folder on your home screen.

I thought they'd added badge counts to recent versions of Android. I thought I'd seen it on a Motorola One phone. Can't seem to find any option for on the Pixel 3a we have.

Thanks - I was reading that alright.,
    I would have thought showing the count would be a fairly standard feature

Its on the Redmi Phones we have. One of the reasons I bought it. Ditto on Windows Phones.

beauf wrote: »
    If you have a ton of unread emails you are not using email as its intended. I think it illustrates that the whole Gmail Label thing isn't that intuitive for many people. IOS the same.

The Badge count can be very useful.On Windows Phone you could have multiple inbox tiles for different accounts and even folders. So you could have a important inbox, or folder on your home screen.

I thought they'd added badge counts to recent versions of Android. I thought I'd seen it on a Motorola One phone. Can't seem to find any option for on the Pixel 3a we have.

Not using email as intended :pac:

My primary Inbox is clear, and that's all I care about. I don't need to know how many unread forum notifications I have, or how many spam messages.

I'm pretty sure that Android went the way of the unread dot a couple of years ago. It doesn't matter to me whether I have one unread message or 10, the dot tells me I need to look in the app.

Not using email as intended :pac:

My primary Inbox is clear, and that's all I care about. I don't need to know how many unread forum notifications I have, or how many spam messages.

I'm pretty sure that Android went the way of the unread dot a couple of years ago. It doesn't matter to me whether I have one unread message or 10, the dot tells me I need to look in the app.

Fine for you.

But others need more control on their email.

As for forum messages you can just filter them to they don't go into your inbox and thus, don't create notifications or badge counts.

beauf wrote: »
    Fine for you.

But others need more control on their email.

As for forum messages you can just filter them to they don't go into your inbox and thus, don't create notifications or badge counts.

Yeah, I understand how it works, and have plenty of control :)

I'm not questioning how you do it. Each to their own.

But if you want to do it differently, like have a count, or have multiple inboxes or folder on your home screen can it be done on a pixel with stock Android, without replacing the launcher?
    I vaguely remember on Windows Phone you could switch between unread emails notifications, or new email notifications. So you had more control on it.
    Neither is more right than the other. It just different personal preference.

• Advertisement

Any idea when the 4A 5G are due to ship? Need to make sure funds are in the account for the big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Any idea when the 4A 5G are due to ship? Need to make sure funds are in the account for the big day!

Money for the 4A 5G came out of my account on the 15th Nov. I ordered on the 5th Nov and the phone still has not dispatched.

Thanks - I ordered the same day and there doesn't seem to be any update on my order status (as in I'm not being told they tried to take funds and were not successful).

Delivery date is saying 10-14 Dec though and if I go onto the store for a new order It's giving an estimated delivery date of 25-27 Nov. Weird.

Yeah, I understand how it works, and have plenty of control :)

Do people actually go in and read the hundreds of rubbish mails they get every day and mark them as read? I certainly don't.

Thanks - I ordered the same day and there doesn't seem to be any update on my order status (as in I'm not being told they tried to take funds and were not successful).

Delivery date is saying 10-14 Dec though and if I go onto the store for a new order It's giving an estimated delivery date of 25-27 Nov. Weird.

Delivery date for me is the 3-4 Dec. I ordered the phone at 00:05am on the 5th so that might explain the earlier est. delivery date for me.

No charges have been billed to my credit card account. I ordered at 9am on the 5th of November.

I ended up just forcing a change of the card type that is to be charged. Still not sure why there is a delivery date of Nov 25-27 if you order today and I'm getting Dec 10-14 after ordering on Nov 5 (also at 9AM)

Do people actually go in and read the hundreds of rubbish mails they get every day and mark them as read? I certainly don't.

Few simple filters that take seconds to set up and you never need to.

I ended up just forcing a change of the card type that is to be charged. Still not sure why there is a delivery date of Nov 25-27 if you order today and I'm getting Dec 10-14 after ordering on Nov 5 (also at 9AM)

I'm tempted to cancel the first order but am terrified the new delivery date won't be met at all.
    I'm wondering if the new delivery date is nearer because they've already accounted for all the headphones?
    Hopefully we'll also get the phones next week but I'll be really annoyed if people order the phone today and get it within a weeks and we're still waiting until the middle of December

• Advertisement

My 4A 5G has been dispatched and it is due to arrive in the next two days. Original estimated delivery date was the 3rd-4th Dec.

Advertisement