Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tiobkuhi

deconduo wrote: »
    Got the Eero 3-pack early on this year via Parcel Motel. No issues, super easy to set up and has worked flawlessly since we got it.

Do you think they would delivery to parcel motel now or is just not to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Currently waiting on my AP to be delivered - will update when I've got it installed.
    I've still got a hankering for a POE+ switch so I can do away with power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tiobkuhi wrote: »
    Hi,

Same issue... were you able to resolve delivery?
    Is the eero system good? House is hardwired.

Used Parcel Motel in the end.
    I was coming off Sky's broadband, and when you do and have Sky Q, you lose their mesh network which itself is pretty good.

I had forgotten how patchy the broadband around my house was until then. Even switching my Virgin router to Modem mode and using my Archer C7 as the router didn't resolve most of the issues. The Hub 3 in terms of signal strength isn't that bad, it's just not very good at device management. Things like internet radios, and even Echo devices, if not used in a while, often have to reconnect again or need rebooting which is a pain.

Only using the Eeros a day now so I'd need to give it a while for a better analysis but they're working pretty well. Good coverage around the house again and so far I'm not noticing drop outs, I'm just using the one satellite at the moment. I do lose a number of ethernet ports though, from 4 available on the router to just the 1 free on the Eeros after using the other to connect to the modem.

Couldn't be simpler to set up with the app and they're really well presented in the box, real premium quality about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone using Google Nest Wifi with Virgin Media? I've excellent Broadband from my current router, but converting the attic shortly and looking for something to extend. I'm sure cheaper options are available but I've a Nest Hello and Google Home in the house already and have been happy with both.

€200 for the router and wifi point.

My house will be 3 levels, about 60 sqm in each level. I assume I need the router and wifi point yeah? I can't just add the wifi point to my existing Virgin router?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone using Google Nest Wifi with Virgin Media? I've excellent Broadband from my current router, but converting the attic shortly and looking for something to extend. I'm sure cheaper options are available but I've a Nest Hello and Google Home in the house already and have been happy with both.

My house will be 3 levels, about 60 sqm in each level. I assume I need the router and wifi point yeah? I can't just add the wifi point to my existing Virgin router?

Change the Virgin Media router to modem mode. Connect the Nest wifi router to the Virgin Media router. Place one or more Nest wifi points in other parts of your home. Standard enough setup, works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yeh, I have virgin with a nest mesh. Have turned WiFi off on the virgin router

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yeh, I have virgin with a nest mesh. Have turned WiFi off on the virgin router

Is that with a hub 4.0? I’m looking to see if anyone has attempted that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

richardjjd wrote: »
    Is that with a hub 4.0? I’m looking to see if anyone has attempted that

Mines the white virgin router, but I'm sure the principal is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

If you are getting work done, make sure you get Cat 6 cable laid everywhere. If you have Cat 6 cable you can just add an access point anywhere without having to mess with your existing router. You will get better thoughput with a ethernet cable to the AP than with a Goole Nest. Of course if you are not happy with the current Virgin router that's a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thought I'd drop this in here.

I have a 3 node Deco M4 system in the house, connected to the standard Eir 1gb FTTH modem in the playroom. No issues with that really. In fact, when I ran a speedtest on the mesh network earlier in the telly room (which doesn't have a node), I got ~160 download.

I'm due to get a new SkyQ box with HDR, and this has a gigabit ethernet port.
    The Sky box only uses the 2.4GHz network.
    The UHD movies are 13gb+ to download.
    So to spare the network, What I'm looking for is, what I'd call, a wireless homeplug. Something that I plug into a socket for power, it connects to the 5GHz WiFi network, then I run an ethernet cable from that to the gigabit port innthd skybox, "hardwiring" it.
    Does such a thing exist? Does it have a name?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Soarer wrote: »

I have a 3 node Deco M4 system in the house, connected to the standard Eir 1gb FTTH modem in the playroom. No issues with that really. In fact, when I ran a speedtest on the mesh network earlier in the telly room (which doesn't have a node), I got ~160 download.

So to spare the network, What I'm looking for is, what I'd call, a wireless homeplug. Something that I plug into a socket for power, it connects to the 5GHz WiFi network, then I run an ethernet cable from that to the gigabit port innthd skybox, "hardwiring" it.
    Thanks.

What you mention does exist, but not off the shelf, you would need to get a Ubiquiti and configure it as a a wireless station client. But the problem here is 5ghz doesn't penetrate walls too well, there won't be great speeds beyond the room the router is in which is why sky use 2.4ghz. You could just get a set of powerline homeplugs see if they're faster than 2.4ghz wireless or just leave it alone and see how 2.4ghz works

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks.

Why do you need the WiFi at all then? Why not just get a homeplug? In regards to "sparing the network", most streaming services are great at judging the speed of the network and buffering to take into account the speed of the connection. The other thing is that even though the movie is 13GB in size it all doesn't have to be downloaded to view it, often there could be less than 100MB stored before playback can start

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Cheers lads.
    What you mention does exist, but not off the shelf, you would need to get a Ubiquiti and configure it as a a wireless station client. But the problem here is 5ghz doesn't penetrate walls too well, there won't be great speeds beyond the room the router is in which is why sky use 2.4ghz. You could just get a set of powerline homeplugs see if they're faster than 2.4ghz wireless or just leave it alone and see how 2.4ghz works

Used homeplugs before (prior to FTTH), and I don't remember the increase being great. Think the rooms might be on different electrical circuits or something.
    Clareman wrote: »
    Why do you need the WiFi at all then? Why not just get a homeplug? In regards to "sparing the network", most streaming services are great at judging the speed of the network and buffering to take into account the speed of the connection. The other thing is that even though the movie is 13GB in size it all doesn't have to be downloaded to view it, often there could be less than 100MB stored before playback can start

Like I said above, used the homeplugs before.

And my want is to increase download speed, not streaming speed. For Sky Movies, the clan like to trawl through the offerings maybe once a week, download what tickles their fancy, then have it ready to go a few days later.

I don't get a say...I only pay the bills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Cheers lads.

Used homeplugs before (prior to FTTH), and I don't remember the increase being great. Think the rooms might be on different electrical circuits or something.

Like I said above, used the homeplugs before.

And my want is to increase download speed, not streaming speed. For Sky Movies, the clan like to trawl through the offerings maybe once a week, download what tickles their fancy, then have it ready to go a few days later.

I don't get a say...I only pay the bills!

Leave it alone then, don't fix it until you know it's not working on 2.4ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Question on the TP Link Deco M4 if anyone can answer please - with the 3 pack, will both of the units not wired to the router need to be in range of the wired unit?
    Or does the furthest one just need to be in range of the other access point?

House is 2 storey and an odd shape. Router is in the top east corner, and there is no wifi signal at all in the room(s) downstairs to the west, if that makes sense. Thinking I'll have one access point upstairs at the opposite corner of the house in the router, which hopefully will give signal directly below it downstairs, and the put the other access point in a middle room downstairs - hoping that downstairs access point would only need to reach the upstairs access point, not the one at the router.

Deco M4 is €145 on amazon for 3 units - I had began thinking I'd get the Google Nest Wifi for this job, but at €240 in argos for just the 2 units, is the M4 the wiser purchase? Or is the functionality of the Nest worth the extra cost (I already have a fair few google home speakers so the assistant in the nest isn't particularly important)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You can get the Deco S4 on Amazon for Eur 111. The S4 spec is virtually the same as the M4 apart from it being smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Question on the TP Link Deco M4 if anyone can answer please - with the 3 pack, will both of the units not wired to the router need to be in range of the wired unit?
    Or does the furthest one just need to be in range of the other access point?

With any mesh system, each one only has to be in range of one other unit to be part of the mesh. So your first one is plugged into your modem - lets call it the base unit. The first remote unit needs to be in range of the base unit. The second remote unit only needs to be in range of the first remote unit - the coverage is extended.

BU ---- RU1 ---- RU2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

With any mesh system, each one only has to be in range of one other unit to be part of the mesh. So your first one is plugged into your modem - lets call it the base unit. The first remote unit needs to be in range of the base unit. The second remote unit only needs to be in range of the first remote unit - the coverage is extended.

BU ---- RU1 ---- RU2

Just so that I'm clear on this would there be any issue with RU1 ---- BU ---- RU2 as in the base unit positioned centrally and both remote connecting to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Gooser14 wrote: »
    You can get the Deco S4 on Amazon for Eur 111. The S4 spec is virtually the same as the M4 apart from it being smaller.

Just seen that, awesome. I hadn't seen the S4 doesn't seem to be mentioned on the TP Link website.
    Is the S4 the one to go for over the M4 or Nest wifi then? The price difference is massive with the Nest.

BU ---- RU1 ---- RU2

Perfect - thanks for that. Assumed as much but nice to have it confirmed.

tonc76 wrote: »
    Just so that I'm clear on this would there be any issue with RU1 ---- BU ---- RU2 as in the base unit positioned centrally and both remote connecting to it?

No, that won't be a problem at all. The beauty of mesh systems is that they don't interfere with themselves, and are seamless. The only problem you'd have would be if one unit was out of range from everything else entirely. Then you'd have to resort to an ethernet cable to link it in (or get another unit to put in between and shore up the gap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Shouldn't be an issue according to the examples on their website :

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m4/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Recently got the Deco m5 and have it all set up, but I'm continuously running into issues when trying to set up chromecast. Works ok on existing network, and I've tried options whereby you select forget network, but it never seems to recognise the Deco network name. Anyone ever experience this? Should I name the deco exactly the same as existing network I wonder.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Recently got the Deco m5 and have it all set up, but I'm continuously running into issues when trying to set up chromecast. Works ok on existing network, and I've tried options whereby you select forget network, but it never seems to recognise the Deco network name. Anyone ever experience this? Should I name the deco exactly the same as existing network I wonder.

I don't have a Chromecast, so I can't comment on the specifics of what you're seeing, but in general the best thing to do when setting up a Mesh network is to turn off your legacy wifi network first. The Mesh network should replace the legacy one, not attempt to complement/compete with it.

When setting up my Deco M9 network, I gave it the same SSID and password as my old network. Every device in the house (20 something things) automatically connected to the new mesh network without any issue or intervention. I'm sure there may sometimes be reasons not to do it, but my experience is that it made life much, much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭south

I don't have a Chromecast, so I can't comment on the specifics of what you're seeing, but in general the best thing to do when setting up a Mesh network is to turn off your legacy wifi network first. The Mesh network should replace the legacy one, not attempt to complement/compete with it.

When setting up my Deco M9 network, I gave it the same SSID and password as my old network. Every device in the house (20 something things) automatically connected to the new mesh network without any issue or intervention. I'm sure there may sometimes be reasons not to do it, but my experience is that it made life much, much easier.

I've the m5 and did exactly the same thing. Everything worked perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my parents finally upgraded their internet connection recently, house is a circa 3,000 sq foot bungalow with thick walls, router is in the middle currently but cant cover the whole house.

im lucky in that i have cat 6 everywhere so have hardwired unifi APs, they dont have that luxury so im thinking mesh.

they arent power users so just looking for whats best value currently,

TP Link Deco M5 unless there is something better vfm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Cyrus wrote: »
    my parents finally upgraded their internet connection recently, house is a circa 3,000 sq foot bungalow with thick walls, router is in the middle currently but cant cover the whole house.

im lucky in that i have cat 6 everywhere so have hardwired unifi APs, they dont have that luxury so im thinking mesh.

I picked up the 3 pack of Mercusys Halo S12 for €63.99 in Tesco a few weeks ago. Only give up to 100mb/s on WIFI, but that's more than enough for general web browsing. I probably would have got away with the 2 pack as the house is only around 1,500 sq ft, but it was only about €10 less than the 3 pack.

Got rid of the dead zones I had in a couple of areas of the house. Speed depends on how far I am away from the nearest node, but it's generally 30mb/s at the furthest point and around 90mb/s when close to a node.

No issues so far with it. Set up via a website that's a bit crap, but once that's all done there's no need to visit that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I am using TP Link Deco P9, I have similar requirements to your parents. Anything else would struggle, I bought this to replace old TP-Link AV600(I think). Which was just the power line adapters and then created a mini wifi zone at the end. Which to be fair for the price done the job perfect so could be an idea.

I didn't like dropping calls etc when moving from one hotspot to another but that might not be an issue for your parents and would be best bang for your buck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I am using TP Link Deco P9, I have similar requirements to your parents. Anything else would struggle, I bought this to replace old TP-Link AV600(I think). Which was just the power line adapters and then created a mini wifi zone at the end. Which to be fair for the price done the job perfect so could be an idea.

I didn't like dropping calls etc when moving from one hotspot to another but that might not be an issue for your parents and would be best bang for your buck

Yes turns out he had a tp link set up that works for now using same ssid so devices just roam across the two WiFi networks

Next time I’m down I’ll get them something better .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Yes turns out he had a tp link set up that works for now using same ssid so devices just roam across the two WiFi networks

Next time I’m down I’ll get them something better .

believe me I tried a lot of options and best I found was to use the electric cables in some capacity. Next option was running cables which I wasn't prepared to do

The design of a bungalow is awful for wifi, then add in block walls and it is nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Bought the Deco M4, Curry's have the triple pack for 120 Euro.

We're in a bungalow too with block walls, one end of the house was a total dead zone, the M4 has fixed that, it does exactly as it says on the tin.

Advertisement