Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

hudo wrote: »
    y4m0NERSauKEFdo9YTPCaWBAQwgRg-KYbjKNAUNiGLOq4EDiLPAS2_dMgxsG2GIg4rcdq2C63BYIvujNdcD9QJ-YI5i0uYePEFuq22KhmCryNJSt_Ay-iAzQyJzTmU0qBk1WCVd4zoqhsHwpIvQMzRqY6w_U2mq1NG5Q1SJvwvywAXmv4GUBkdd_vRcTHPlB3HaNFPj1dV8z3mOexqv3JdldA?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none

Got myself new headphone amp upgrade - xDuoo TA-10. Replaced Audioquest Dragonfly Red, which i used with Hifiman HE400s (now sold), but Audeze needs/deserves much more power.
    Considered Schiit Asgard 3, Burson Soloist, AudioGD r2r 11 and few others, but went with xDuoo since i have bunch of 12AU7 around so fun to do tube rolling and tweak the sound, had decent DAC and enough power for most headphones:) Also looks cool!

What tubes have you got there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hudo

Sheeps wrote: »
    What tubes have you got there?

Mullard, Radiotechnique, RFT, Philips, JJ, RCE, Primaluna Shuguang (not all on the photo). I was rolling them in my Primaluna preamp until i settled down with Philips Miniwat NOS

hudo wrote: »
    y4m0NERSauKEFdo9YTPCaWBAQwgRg-KYbjKNAUNiGLOq4EDiLPAS2_dMgxsG2GIg4rcdq2C63BYIvujNdcD9QJ-YI5i0uYePEFuq22KhmCryNJSt_Ay-iAzQyJzTmU0qBk1WCVd4zoqhsHwpIvQMzRqY6w_U2mq1NG5Q1SJvwvywAXmv4GUBkdd_vRcTHPlB3HaNFPj1dV8z3mOexqv3JdldA?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none

Got myself new headphone amp upgrade - xDuoo TA-10. Replaced Audioquest Dragonfly Red, which i used with Hifiman HE400s (now sold), but Audeze needs/deserves much more power.
    Considered Schiit Asgard 3, Burson Soloist, AudioGD r2r 11 and few others, but went with xDuoo since i have bunch of 12AU7 around so fun to do tube rolling and tweak the sound, had decent DAC and enough power for most headphones:) Also looks cool!

Got myself a set of those Audioengine's the other day for my work/gaming station. Very impressed with them. Nice setup there btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hudo

Got myself a set of those Audioengine's the other day for my work/gaming station. Very impressed with them. Nice setup there btw.

Yes I love that small speaker! Specially if you apply some EQ (download from link at the end of http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_A2_Plus/) with Equalizer APO. I also use EQ profile for LCD2f from https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Thinking of going for the Topping L30/E30 stack as my next purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Thinking of going for the Topping L30/E30 stack as my next purchase.

Have the E30 upstairs now running off a battery back, connected to the Schiit Heresy for my K712pros. The E30/L30 stack looks really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

My Topping stack arrived over the weekend. No pics as it felt a little inadequate after Gonzovision posted his big boy stack but loving it so far. :pac:

Connected to my PC via optical out, units linked together with a pair of JDS Stack RCA Cables and happily powering my HE4xx and iLoud Micro Monitor speakers.

I don't have much to compare it to really, the L30 with no gain is definitely delivering more power than the ZxR I was using previously and the E30 is maybe a tad more neutral/clean/precise. It's not a huge jump but it's definitely noticeable. I have a Massdrop O2 + SDAC unit powering a pair of MrSpeakers Mad Dogs in the office and I'm quite looking forward to getting them home to compare them more.

Long story short, I'd happily recommend it and the reviews I read beforehand are quite accurate. On a more personal note, there's not a hope in absolute hell I would ever replace this setup with a unit that didn't have an output switcher and power button on the front, that **** should be standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

thx789.jpg

I'm done for the rest of the year.

gizmo wrote: »
    My Topping stack arrived over the weekend. No pics as it felt a little inadequate after Gonzovision posted his big boy stack but loving it so far. :pac:

Connected to my PC via optical out, units linked together with a pair of JDS Stack RCA Cables and happily powering my HE4xx and iLoud Micro Monitor speakers.

I don't have much to compare it to really, the L30 with no gain is definitely delivering more power than the ZxR I was using previously and the E30 is maybe a tad more neutral/clean/precise. It's not a huge jump but it's definitely noticeable. I have a Massdrop O2 + SDAC unit powering a pair of MrSpeakers Mad Dogs in the office and I'm quite looking forward to getting them home to compare them more.

Long story short, I'd happily recommend it and the reviews I read beforehand are quite accurate. On a more personal note, there's not a hope in absolute hell I would ever replace this setup with a unit that didn't have an output switcher and power button on the front, that **** should be standard.

Can i ask where you purchased?

Audiophonics
    Electromod UK

I've bought topping from both of the above, really quick delivery.
    I also made the mistake previously of ordering on Amazon through Shenzen Audio, which may ship from China, so you may have to wait a while and pay customs.

• Advertisement

That's good to know. I was going to get on Amazon from Shenzen. Didn't think you'd have to pay customs through Amazon.

Sure, I got both units through Amazon, waiting until the stock from the HIFI College Store and Shenzen Audio stores was available via Fulfilled by Amazon. That way I had the delivery benefits of Prime but also knew if I had a issue caused by quality control, it'd be super quick and easy to send back for a refund/replacement.

If you're just buying from their store with the regular inventory then yes, it'll be dispatched from China so you'll have to eat the longer shipping time but you shouldn't have to pay VAT and import duty due to the manner in which they label the package. The few cases I could find where people did have to pay, ended up contacting the seller and getting reimbursed. All that being said, if I didn't have the FBA option, I'd go with the sellers Gonzovision listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

My Headstack, not the most efficient use of space :o

528656.jpg

Is that a Raspberri Pi?

Nope, a NUC running Roon/Rock. It's the heart of music through the entire house, great little piece of kit. The DAC above it is connected via USB, and a lot of Roon people would cry at that but it has a quality PSU and great isolation so I'm not too worried. Everything else in the house gets audio from it over the network.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Nope, a NUC running Roon/Rock. It's the heart of music through the entire house, great little piece of kit. The DAC above it is connected via USB, and a lot of Roon people would cry at that but it has a quality PSU and great isolation so I'm not too worried. Everything else in the house gets audio from it over the network.

Ah got ye....I've the core running on my PC connected to a Pi running RoPieee via ethernet, then USB to DAC. Tbh honest, Roon to DAC via USB sounds just as good to me....

All stacked up.

529413.jpg

A big step up from the K5 Pro i was using. The sound is so clear and detailed. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Fantastic looking setup!

That's the Topping L30/E30 right ? How do you find going between the Headphone setup and the A2+ ?

marko93 wrote: »
    Fantastic looking setup!

That's the Topping L30/E30 right ? How do you find going between the Headphone setup and the A2+ ?

It is yea. I've not hooked them together yet. Searching for a cable for them. You'd think i'd have one here somewhere. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but any suggestions for in-ear headphones to replace a pair of OneMore Quad drivers? Nothing wrong with the OneMores as such, just wanted to see what else is out there. Listen to a lot of jazz and folk and generally prefer warm, laid back sounding headphones with a nice bass response.

• Advertisement

All stacked up.

529413.jpg

A big step up from the K5 Pro i was using. The sound is so clear and detailed. Love it.

Respect, looks great. And plus points for the play bars in there too :).

Yea. One on the other side and Hue light strip too. Expensive but adds to a desk setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,813 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

46 Long wrote: »
    Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but any suggestions for in-ear headphones to replace a pair of OneMore Quad drivers? Nothing wrong with the OneMores as such, just wanted to see what else is out there. Listen to a lot of jazz and folk and generally prefer warm, laid back sounding headphones with a nice bass response.

There is a pair of Radius HP-TWF31 earphones on ebay in the US I would be all over if I wasn't already sorted with the next model up. 10-40,000 hz.
    https://www.radius.co.jp/en_product/hp-twf31/

I have had the model below and above those and the difference was marginal so I have no hesitation saying I think those would be a good fit with what you are after.

Radius is a brand not well known outside of Japan. The ones I have acquired I had to get directly from there.

Has anyone around here tried a Minirig or even the Mini model by any chance?

Looking at picking up either one of those or a new Echo for my bedroom and I'm not entirely sure which one to go for. Use case is wake up, turn off alarm on phone, turn on Spotify and hit play before getting up to grab a shower and get started for the day. It only needs to provide sound to the bedroom and ensuite, the other rooms in the place are covered, so it doesn't need to be particularly powerful, just sound good and have a relatively small footprint.

I'm asking here rather than Gadgets because it's the sound quality I'm really interested in, even if I did go with the Echo the Alexa functionality would be a bonus.

Any ideas?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Good deal for the Final E5000 on Amazon at the moment... I've a set on the way and really look forward to trying them. A very highly regarded set of IEMs but apparently need decent power to drive them. These are typically £219 and £159 at the moment, worked out at €180.

https://tinyurl.com/yxsgkq4q

Good deal for the Final E5000 on Amazon at the moment... I've a set on the way and really look forward to trying them. A very highly regarded set of IEMs but apparently need decent power to drive them. These are typically £219 and £159 at the moment, worked out at €180.

https://tinyurl.com/yxsgkq4q

I wouldn't get an IEM with such a small driver (6.5mm) as I quite like my lower frequencies. That's probably why it is so inefficient. At 93db/mw efficiency, they would require a bit over 30 times as much power to achieve the same sound pressure level as an IEM an efficiency rating of 108 db/mw.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I wouldn't get an IEM with such a small driver (6.5mm) as I quite like my lower frequencies. That's probably why it is so inefficient. At 93db/mw efficiency, they would require a bit over 30 times as much power to achieve the same sound pressure level as an IEM an efficiency rating of 108 db/mw.

Interestingly, it's their bass that is mentioned in lots of the reviews - how amazing it is for their size. Ability to drive is definitely flagged by lots and it sounds like a decent DAP required for sure. I have the Sony ZX300 (uncapped in the last few days) and it can easily now drive the likes of HD650 without any problem so I know it will be fine with these. What really sold me on these ultimately was so many comments around comfort and the relaxed nature of the sound. Anyway, I'll find out soon enough...

Some reviews on head-fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-e5000.23161/reviews

A couple of others around the web, there are lots - I spent a lot of time researching before I went for them! I was torn between these and the Sony XBA-N3AP which were working out about €50 or so more.

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2018/11/final-e5000-thick-sound-delight.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/11/18639387/final-e5000-earphones-review-price-release-date

Interestingly, it's their bass that is mentioned in lots of the reviews - how amazing it is for their size. Ability to drive is definitely flagged by lots and it sounds like a decent DAP required for sure. I have the Sony ZX300 (uncapped in the last few days) and it can easily now drive the likes of HD650 without any problem so I know it will be fine with these. What really sold me on these ultimately was so many comments around comfort and the relaxed nature of the sound. Anyway, I'll find out soon enough...

Some reviews on head-fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-e5000.23161/reviews

A couple of others around the web, there are lots - I spent a lot of time researching before I went for them! I was torn between these and the Sony XBA-N3AP which were working out about €50 or so more.

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2018/11/final-e5000-thick-sound-delight.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/11/18639387/final-e5000-earphones-review-price-release-date

I sincerely hope I am wrong and thet they are everything you want and are expecting.

I bought some well reviewed IEMs with 5.8mm drivers (JVC HA-FXD80) and was dissapointed in the bass balance compared with what the reviews said. I have ended up with IEMs with 13mm drivers and am now happy. The diaphragms of the current ones have 5 times the surface are of the old ones so it's not really surprising. Physics won.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I sincerely hope I am wrong and thet they are everything you want and are expecting.

I bought some well reviewed IEMs with 5.8mm drivers (JVC HA-FXD80) and was dissapointed in the bass balance compared with what the reviews said. I have ended up with IEMs with 13mm drivers and am now happy. The diaphragms of the current ones have 5 times the surface are of the old ones so it's not really surprising. Physics won.

They arrived today and I'm happy to report they are wonderful - I love my bass too and these have plenty but very nicely balanced... an incredibly impressive IEM, immediately prefer to my previous go-to Sennheiser IE8. I do need to crank the volume up on the ZX300 to about 80/120 where as would have been around 65 or so on the IE8s, these definitely would not suit a smartphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent sound system for my new pc. Movies, music and may be gaming in future.

I don't fully understand amps and DACs etc and would love advice.

My current aged pc has logitech z-2300 2.1 system with a sound blasterx g6 external soundcard for my generic steel series headset. All very cringy for you audiophiles.

Anyways, I was looking at speakers from Audioengine A5+, Presonus 4.5, Kanto Yu4 etc among many others

I've my eyes on decent headphones like Sennheiser HD599, Sony MDR-7506 among many others.

Obviously more research needed but I'd love a good quality system that will allow me to alternate between listening via headphones and speakers using a pc.

Any advice on DACs etc to compliment above?

Thanks

Advertisement