Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Arghus wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really that concerned about whether something is wireless or has ANC it's really a question of what's the best in terms of sound quality, and is portable, in and around that 350 or 400 price range.

I wouldn't rule out AKG 371, can be got for £104 on Amazon at the moment. Excellent portable closed backs. Very close to Harman target.

I got them for the office myself and they're great. I know the initial batch had build quality issues, but that's long been sorted.

Check out some opinions on them on headfi

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k361-k371.916764/page-32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Been looking to purchase some HIFIMANs, specifically the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YBWT8PK/?coliid=I3A6KQ4P0T8MRG&colid=2AXOTNN1YGDNZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Doesn't seem possible to get them in europe? Would there be an equivalent headphone anyone can reccomend? Primarily listening on Spotify, and combining with a Topping E30/L30 as per the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0868J7NRV/?coliid=I3ETQ0493MJFF4&colid=2AXOTNN1YGDNZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DNV2K8C/?coliid=I2NTW660RCPO3A&colid=2AXOTNN1YGDNZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YBWT8PK/?coliid=I3A6KQ4P0T8MRG&colid=2AXOTNN1YGDNZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Doesn't seem possible to get them in europe? Would there be an equivalent headphone anyone can reccomend? Primarily listening on Spotify, and combining with a Topping E30/L30 as per the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0868J7NRV/?coliid=I3ETQ0493MJFF4&colid=2AXOTNN1YGDNZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DNV2K8C/?coliid=I2NTW660RCPO3A&colid=2AXOTNN1YGDNZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

You can get the shipped from Drop US. You'd probably have to pay customs though, which might be grand if you have your mind set on the 4xx.

It's annoying Drop EU is gone, but better for my wallet.

I haven't heard the 4xx myself so can't really say what would be similar sounding and quality in that price range.

So maybe my recommendations are way off the mark in what you are looking for but I picked up the AKG K712pro in the new year and they're fantastic, and they scale really well. Pretty sure they were under £200 on Amazon Uk.

And the L30 would be plenty for them, as they can sound thin if not given enough power.

There's probably something in the Beyer and Sennheiser range that someone could point you towards as well.

I have the 4XX's. I prefer them over my HD650's. They sound so powerful and that's what i like about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really that concerned about whether something is wireless or has ANC it's really a question of what's the best in terms of sound quality, and is portable, in and around that 350 or 400 price range.

If you're eyeing up the XM3's then you should consider the XM4's. They're more or less the same with the exception of the audio processor and bluetooth. The MX4's allow for enough bandwidth over their bluetooth to support higher than CD quality where as with regular Bluetooth you'd be losing detail.

Of course it depends on the source material, if you're listening to lossless or not. mx3's should easily be good enough for mp3 at 320kbps and lower encoded lossless music under ~800kbps. The xm4's allow for up to 2mbps which would cover off most

That being said, there's probably better options out there for less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

You can get the shipped from Drop US. You'd probably have to pay customs though, which might be grand if you have your mind set on the 4xx.

It's annoying Drop EU is gone, but better for my wallet.

I haven't heard the 4xx myself so can't really say what would be similar sounding and quality in that price range.

So maybe my recommendations are way off the mark in what you are looking for but I picked up the AKG K712pro in the new year and they're fantastic, and they scale really well. Pretty sure they were under £200 on Amazon Uk.

And the L30 would be plenty for them, as they can sound thin if not given enough power.

There's probably something in the Beyer and Sennheiser range that someone could point you towards as well.

Funnily enough I was only researching the AKG K712pros in the last few days, all reviews seem great. Do you have an amp with yours?

Funnily enough I was only researching the AKG K712pros in the last few days, all reviews seem great. Do you have an amp with yours?

Ye they definitely need an amp. I have a Schiit Heresy and using a Topping E30 for a dac.

They're fantastic value headphones for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I was looking at the 4XX's but a bit concerned as there have been some quality issues with some of them with no sound coming from one of the drivers etc, it might turn out to be an expensive exercise if your set is defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I wouldn't rule out AKG 371, can be got for £104 on Amazon at the moment. Excellent portable closed backs. Very close to Harman target.

I got them for the office myself and they're great. I know the initial batch had build quality issues, but that's long been sorted.

Check out some opinions on them on headfi

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k361-k371.916764/page-32

It had been so long that I had forgotten that they were the ones you had recommended. I was just coming back to say that I went with the AKG 371s in the end, completely oblivious to the fact that those were the one's you were talking about!

They seemed to be the closest - after much research - to what I was looking for. Good quality, portable headphones offering good sound quality, my primary concern.

I was willing to spend 300-350 to get the best option I could, but there seems to be a vogue now for noise cancelling, bluetooth headphones at that price point - it was really hard to find a portable, sound quality first, pair that didn't include the bells and whistles that sacrificed the ultimate sound quality. Everything seemed to be much cheaper or far more expensive and impractical.

It's some craic reading/watching through endless reviews - none of which ever seem to be in agreement!

It had been so long that I had forgotten that they were the ones you had recommended. I was just coming back to say that I went with the AKG 371s in the end, completely oblivious to the fact that those were the one's you were talking about!

They seemed to be the closest - after much research - to what I was looking for. Good quality, portable headphones offering good sound quality, my primary concern.

I was willing to spend 300-350 to get the best option I could, but there seems to be a vogue now for noise cancelling, bluetooth headphones at that price point - it was really hard to find a portable, sound quality first, pair that didn't include the bells and whistles that sacrificed the ultimate sound quality. Everything seemed to be much cheaper or far more expensive and impractical.

It's some craic reading/watching through endless reviews - none of which ever seem to be in agreement!

How do you find them? I'm not a fan of their out of the box sound but with a bit of EQ they are really fantastic. And so so comfortable.

• Advertisement

How do you find them? I'm not a fan of their out of the box sound but with a bit of EQ they are really fantastic. And so so comfortable.

What settings are you using Grahamer, I'm using them out of the box and find them very good. Very neutral.

What settings are you using Grahamer, I'm using them out of the box and find them very good. Very neutral.

I use them primarily with my HiBy R3 Pro and have tinkered with the MSEB on it to get it to sound the way i want. You can really dial the sound in to different headphones as there a loads of sliders on it.

I use them primarily with my HiBy R3 Pro and have tinkered with the MSEB on it to get it to sound the way i want. You can really dial the sound in to different headphones as there a loads of sliders on it.

Where did you find them lacking out of the box? I imagine they lack a bit of detail in the highs alright, but that has never bothered me as have other headphones when I'm looking for detail.

Cool, I don't tend to eq much at all. The only one I've used is Oratorys settings for my AKG K712s in Roon, takes the sharpness out of the highs and adds a small bump to the bass.

That wasn't even manual, it provided 44khz wav which you upload to Roons convolution filter.

I tend to like detailed highs which i think my DT1990's give me but i found them to be a bit flat or something with the AKG's.
    It really is a great headphone though and thankfully none of the early QC issues have surfaced on mine.

Anyone ever try any of the ZMF range?

Just got them earlier, I like them so far, extreme early days though. The only closed back I have to compare them too is the Sony MRA 1A, which are extremely comfortable, but I was always a bit unsure about their sound quality for 200 quid - always felt a bit bassy and lacking in detail.

The AKG 371s are definitely brighter, which is great - I love being able to pick out details in music. They aren't mind blowing of course, being open backs for about a hundred quid, but so far so good. Definitely lacks a bit of bass, but that's okay, I want it to be there but I don't want to be overpowered by, they sound quite balanced.

Where did you find them lacking out of the box? I imagine they lack a bit of detail in the highs alright, but that has never bothered me as have other headphones when I'm looking for detail.

Cool, I don't tend to eq much at all. The only one I've used is Oratorys settings for my AKG K712s in Roon, takes the sharpness out of the highs and adds a small bump to the bass.

That wasn't even manual, it provided 44khz wav which you upload to Roons convolution filter.

Any recommendations in this department?

What I'd say before doing any eq at all is get used to the sound of the headphones. I'm not sure I believe in burn in per se, but there's a lot to be said for getting accustomed to the sound of a headphone over a week or two.

Then if you're not happy with a certain aspect, I find the easiest way is to use Oratorys preset

Here's the ones for the 371

and here's the logic behind it and usage instructions, depending on platform

Ye as I was saying earlier, I like the sound of them as is, of course there's unit variation and such that we can't account for. Think they were great value alright, grand to bring about as well, fold up nice and compact, a bit of leakage but nothing too bad.

Also nice to be able to plug something directly into a phone as well well without needing an amp. Not sure if it's my phone, but they do sound a bit better coming though an amp, marginal though.

Think I took ye up wrong on that one :-)

I have the Akg K712 pros which are fantastically resolving with a lovely wide airy soundstage.

Be along the same lines as Grahamers DT1990s I'd say. DT 1990s would be better build, bit more comfortable, less harsh treble out of the box, better definition overall, but both really good headphones.

I also have a pair of Hifiam Aryas, which are a different ball game altogether :D

I also have a pair of Hifiam Aryas, which are a different ball game altogether :D

I looked at the price there - ah heyor!

Maybe when I win the lotto, or at least suffer a financially lucrative physical injury!

Thanks for those recommendations all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

How do you find the Topping E30/L30 stack?

Looks like the RCA output on my ZxR somehow died in a power cut today and while the headphone out is still fine, looks like I need to start looking for a replacement.

Not only are the reviews of the Topping units stellar but it's also one of the only setups with both variable volume RCA outs and front facing input switches - both of which should make life a hell of a lot easier when jumping between my headphones and powered monitors during the day.

Oh, for what it's worth, I have a pair of the HE-4xx which I got from Massdrop a few years ago. Mentioned it in this post last year.

gizmo wrote: »
    How do you find the Topping E30/L30 stack?

Looks like the RCA output on my ZxR somehow died in a power cut today and while the headphone out is still fine, looks like I need to start looking for a replacement.

Not only are the reviews of the Topping units stellar but it's also one of the only setups with both variable volume RCA outs and front facing input switches - both of which should make life a hell of a lot easier when jumping between my headphones and powered monitors during the day.

Oh, for what it's worth, I have a pair of the HE-4xx which I got from Massdrop a few years ago. Mentioned it in this post last year.

I have the E30 paired with a Schiit Heresy, find it fine. I had an E10 before that which I moved, but not sure I get tell the difference between the two!

Sounds very clean to me. The E30/L30 stack looks class and is fantastic value. If I hadn't the Heresy already, I would have gotten the L30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I have the E30 paired with a Schiit Heresy, find it fine. I had an E10 before that which I moved, but not sure I get tell the difference between the two!

Sounds very clean to me. The E30/L30 stack looks class and is fantastic value. If I hadn't the Heresy already, I would have gotten the L30.
    Was there a reason you didn't go for the Modi instead of the E30 by the way?

After a weekend of reading it looks like my options are one of three stacks: the JDS Atom, Schiit Modi/Heresy and Topping E30/L30. Looks like there's some reviews coming in online for the later in the next week or so so probably going to hold off until then.

To be fair, there's probably not going to be much between them but on the amp side, it does look like the Schiit and L30 may be a bit more future proof if I was get anything harder to drive.

gizmo wrote: »
    Was there a reason you didn't go for the Modi instead of the E30 by the way?

After a weekend of reading it looks like my options are one of three stacks: the JDS Atom, Schiit Modi/Heresy and Topping E30/L30. Looks like there's some reviews coming in online for the later in the next week or so so probably going to hold off until then.

To be fair, there's probably not going to be much between them but on the amp side, it does look like the Schiit and L30 may be a bit more future proof if I was get anything harder to drive.

Modi was out of stock when I ordered the Heresy. The Hersey/E30 stack isn't the greatest looking of combos in fairness!

Will be upgrading to a Topping A90 sometime in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

HD6xx arrived today with a €48 charge with them for VAT and duty. Still worth every penny and I've only been listening for about an hour. Noticeably more clarity and separation than the X2HRs, with a similar enough sound profile. I've heard there is a bit of burn in required on these but so far without any I'm fairly impressed.

Ordered a D90/A90 stack, I'm done.

Ordered a D90/A90 stack, I'm done.

Famous last words. :D

Now I'm done, bar the balanced cable I've ordered for the Aryas.....

hp.jpg

Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 hudo

y4m0NERSauKEFdo9YTPCaWBAQwgRg-KYbjKNAUNiGLOq4EDiLPAS2_dMgxsG2GIg4rcdq2C63BYIvujNdcD9QJ-YI5i0uYePEFuq22KhmCryNJSt_Ay-iAzQyJzTmU0qBk1WCVd4zoqhsHwpIvQMzRqY6w_U2mq1NG5Q1SJvwvywAXmv4GUBkdd_vRcTHPlB3HaNFPj1dV8z3mOexqv3JdldA?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none

Got myself new headphone amp upgrade - xDuoo TA-10. Replaced Audioquest Dragonfly Red, which i used with Hifiman HE400s (now sold), but Audeze needs/deserves much more power.
    Considered Schiit Asgard 3, Burson Soloist, AudioGD r2r 11 and few others, but went with xDuoo since i have bunch of 12AU7 around so fun to do tube rolling and tweak the sound, had decent DAC and enough power for most headphones:) Also looks cool!

Advertisement