Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-05-2020, 18:47   #271
Lady Haywire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph_D View Post
Not a farmer, but living in a house with a couple of fields that used to be farmed (sheep and cattle). We are pretty much rewilding them now. Hare and pheasant are commonplace. The odd fox, and a stoat a couple of weeks ago. Frogs, lizards (or maybe newt). Lots of bird life. The starlings in the attic have finally fledged so I’ll block the gap in the eaves. Many crows, pigeons, tits, robins, wrens. Nest in postbox starts the moment. Buzzards too, and possibly a peregrine falcon. Few mice as well!

Saw a crow trap in local farmer’s field the other day( since moved). What’s the story with them?
Larson trap? Crows are pests. I left the big sliding door on the shed open Monday night & the bastards of grey crows came in & robbed every nest of sparrows & starlings in the place.

We use the larson trap in winter, let them rear their young first. After that it's fair game!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-05-2020, 20:29   #272
Murph_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Haywire View Post
Larson trap? Crows are pests. I left the big sliding door on the shed open Monday night & the bastards of grey crows came in & robbed every nest of sparrows & starlings in the place.

We use the larson trap in winter, let them rear their young first. After that it's fair game!
Are they legal? Looks pretty cruel and crows are intelligent birds. Doubt if my neighbour is using them to protect nests.
20-05-2020, 20:37   #273
Lady Haywire

Quote:
Are they legal? Looks pretty cruel and crows are intelligent birds. Doubt if my neighbour is using them to protect nests.
Yes, they're legal. You have a call bird with food & water in his section, who's the main attraction to the birds in the surrounding area as they'll fly down to the trap to protect their territory. Should be checked each day & dispatch anything caught.

He could be protecting anything; lambs, bales, seed, bird cover for GLAS, preventing spread of disease from the birds dirtying in troughs etc
(3) thanks from:
20-05-2020, 21:31   #274
Murph_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Haywire View Post
Yes, they're legal. You have a call bird with food & water in his section, who's the main attraction to the birds in the surrounding area as they'll fly down to the trap to protect their territory. Should be checked each day & dispatch anything caught.

He could be protecting anything; lambs, bales, seed, bird cover for GLAS, preventing spread of disease from the birds dirtying in troughs etc
Appreciate the information. Lambs I suppose.
20-05-2020, 21:51   #275
ganmo

Quote:
Why do you say your neighbour wouldn't be interested in the smaller birds?
Advertisement
20-05-2020, 21:59   #276
Murph_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganmo View Post
Why do you say your neighbour wouldn't be interested in the smaller birds?
He’s not the nature loving type. Tends to destroy habitats rather than preserve them. Seems to have a particular grudge against trees, but also any kind of hedgerow or bush.
20-05-2020, 22:00   #277
bogman_bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water John View Post
Heard the cuckoo today. a few years since Iv'e heard him.
Go mberimid beo ag an am seo aris.
I was the same today.
Thanks from:
20-05-2020, 22:33   #278
minerleague

often hear the cuckoo but saw one yesterday. lucky enough to see otters twice
in recent years. also saw a stoat ( very small)last year> plenty foxes, less hares
than before, deer becoming very plentiful ( nice bit of forestry around)
20-05-2020, 23:07   #279
PoorFarmer

Saw my first cinnabar moth of the year today just in time for ragwort season.
BIL is after getting a herd of wild/feral goats on his place. Cleaned out about €500 of trees he had put in over the winter. Seriously unimpressed with them ðŸ˜
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 09:51   #280
80sDiesel

Taking of rewinding. Lovely place in West Sussex England called kneep wildland where they did a massive rewilding project.

The owner gives a great lecture here on the project and rewilding in general
45 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/oQtpk6Gsawc
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size