Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Will check both out. Thanks folks :)

5km in 31mins on running track, very very easy. Enjoying this slow running, hopefully not permanent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

rizzee wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a decent set of Bluetooth earphones? (not airpods or the likes, one with wire around the neck anyway) My watch has the ability to stream music to headset so must start making play lists for long runs and load it with tunes. I have really good Bluetooth headphones but they will be too bulky for long runs.

Alternatively a small mp3 player with maybe a clip to attach to clothes and earphones?

Back to running :) :

7km Tuesday, 8 km yesterday and heading on a 5km this evening. Really enjoying the slow running (6:00-6:15/km the last 2 evenings) and feeling really good after it with no pain or out of breath. Will get it even slower as the distance increases!

Getting the marathon shoes tomorrow, will be shopping around. Dunshaughlin 10km next Saturday so I'll get to break them in properly!

Bought a pair of these and finding them great. Slightly more than I'd normally pay but came with a 2 year warranty as well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018XNGQOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Taking the calculators aside, it doesn't really matter. It's what feels easy on any given day. Some Mondays my easy pace could be 7.50/mile after having Sunday as a rest day. Today it was closer to 8.20/mile after a hard session yesterday. If there's one thing you shouldn't worry about its easy pace.

Thanks P. I take your point. I find also that my easy pace falls into a range, depending on the day it could be +/1 30 sec/m. I'm a reasonably good judge it at this stage and if i get it wrong the HR trace or the Garmin 'recovery predictor' will highlight it for me. At the moment i'm looking at lots of plans, trying to figure out what's next and just noticing how much variation there is the pace the various plans prescribe while still all based on current fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ariana` wrote: »
    Easy pace! I found myself looking up a variety of online calculators/pace charts and there seems to be a huge variation in the pace prescribed as easy.

This is based on a 5k time of 23 mins:

10:26-10:49
    8:29-9:30
    9:55-10:55
    9:25-10:00
    9:24
    9:14-10:14

Why is there such a big variation between them? I understand most of these calculators accompany particular plans but is there that much difference between plans/training approach to merit the variation seen here - some of these ranges don't even overlap :confused:
    Thanks P. I take your point. I find also that my easy pace falls into a range, depending on the day it could be +/1 30 sec/m. I'm a reasonably good judge it at this stage and if i get it wrong the HR trace or the Garmin 'recovery predictor' will highlight it for me. At the moment i'm looking at lots of plans, trying to figure out what's next and just noticing how much variation there is the pace the various plans prescribe while still all based on current fitness.

I'd be interested too. I appreciate the ideal situation is where you run according to effort but I think that has to be learned. I'm reading Matt Fitzgerald at the moment and he states if you ask people to run at their easy pace, they will run at their habitual pace which might not necessarily be "easy".

Aside from that, though, why the range? I know one of the pace ranges in the table encompasses recovery too.

Do certain calculators prescribe quicker paces because they're associated with lower mileage plans and then it's okay to run a bit more quickly? Is it that some calculators are just out of date?

It's an interesting question.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Easy pace! I found myself looking up a variety of online calculators/pace charts and there seems to be a huge variation in the pace prescribed as easy.

This is based on a 5k time of 23 mins:

10:26-10:49
    8:29-9:30
    9:55-10:55
    9:25-10:00
    9:24
    9:14-10:14

Why is there such a big variation between them? I understand most of these calculators accompany particular plans but is there that much difference between plans/training approach to merit the variation seen here - some of these ranges don't even overlap :confused:

Plans will influence the calculators I imagine greatly

For example a training plan run off 3 days a week will probably aim for them runs to be at upper end because you are not running as much.

I know for example the reason I chose the runfastcoach one to go with the boards graduate plans was due to the higher number training days compared to what alot of people are used to running. The stimulus is the same at slower pace because overall volume is up

It is worth nothing that these calculators are designed to fit what the compiler has in mind as an example so the paces are derived from an example in there head so the training approach needs to be taken into account

Take McMillan his background is elite runners with good base under them which is why tend to be a bit aggressive,

Run Fast Coach has background working with Masters athletes so is less aggressive

Jack Daniels came from US system so alot of speed and turnover in legs but endurance can be lacking.

People rubbish some calculators based on there own times but often it is as important to know which one might suit you best and why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote:

I was just about to reply when I read the reply from KSU and it was essentially what I was going to say. Some plans will be designed in a way to force you to the slower end of the range. Other plans (like Hal Higdon for example) will probably allow you to go a little quicker. I just note that I've been through base phases in training where overall volume is relatively low and intensity isn't extremely high and my easy runs will be a little quicker (because I'm less fatigued). But in the middle of a hard block of intense training trying to peak for a HM for example I'd likely have to run a little slower. Whatever gets you right for your sessions really. Always always go with how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Picked up some Asics Gt 2000 7 this morning. Time to break them in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

I’m very new to all this. I ran the mini marathon in 54 and running my easy training runs at between 6.20-6.40 so think that’s about right. A minute slower than 10k pace. It’s what feels right. On longer runs (have run up to 17k so far) I would even slow that down to 7.

Re Dunshaughlin would love to say hello to some on the evening as I’m not in a club and very much running solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Strength training and running on the same day? Yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Strenght training and running on the same day? Yay or nay?

My training plan has me doing strength work twice weekly after easy runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Strength training and running on the same day? Yay or nay?

Put it where you can fit it into your life consistently. If you are doing it regularly, the pro s will outweigh con don’t worrying about where is most optimum. Majority of people aim for all or nothing perfection and when they struggle to fit it they give up all together it’s the same reason why many diets fail to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Easy days for me but I have done it the morning of a session without any issues. If you're new to strength work you will be sore but after a couple of weeks all is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Most strength training is done on my lunch break but was thinking of switching rowing and cross trainer for running about 20mins so I can increase my easy runs without adding another day running.

KSU wrote: »
    Plans will influence the calculators I imagine greatly

For example a training plan run off 3 days a week will probably aim for them runs to be at upper end because you are not running as much.

I know for example the reason I chose the runfastcoach one to go with the boards graduate plans was due to the higher number training days compared to what alot of people are used to running. The stimulus is the same at slower pace because overall volume is up

It is worth nothing that these calculators are designed to fit what the compiler has in mind as an example so the paces are derived from an example in there head so the training approach needs to be taken into account

Take McMillan his background is elite runners with good base under them which is why tend to be a bit aggressive,

Run Fast Coach has background working with Masters athletes so is less aggressive

Jack Daniels came from US system so alot of speed and turnover in legs but endurance can be lacking.

People rubbish some calculators based on there own times but often it is as important to know which one might suit you best and why.

The plans i was examining all had similar mileage and number of days running. But i didn't factor in the coaches having a different background or focus on a different general weakness in their athletes, that's a very interesting and not something i'd have considered.
    I was just about to reply when I read the reply from KSU and it was essentially what I was going to say. Some plans will be designed in a way to force you to the slower end of the range. Other plans (like Hal Higdon for example) will probably allow you to go a little quicker. I just note that I've been through base phases in training where overall volume is relatively low and intensity isn't extremely high and my easy runs will be a little quicker (because I'm less fatigued). But in the middle of a hard block of intense training trying to peak for a HM for example I'd likely have to run a little slower. Whatever gets you right for your sessions really. Always always go with how you feel.

I guess in the absence of a coach to guide/dictate the pace it's just something one has to judge for themselves so, the test is being able to hit the pace for the sessions without over-reaching.

Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Strava Premium - worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

DeepBlue wrote: »

The extra features (now called Premium and broken out across three packages - training, safety and analysis) are vaguely nice to have, but in reality I use the extra features sporadically at best. I mostly subscribe because I think it's a good service overall, in a kind of altruistic fashion. Probably not what their product managers want to hear.

If you're using the free version a while they usually start to offer 3 months free trial of the premium? I had it for a year at one point (i forgot to cancel the free trial of course :rolleyes:), I no longer have it and i don't miss it. IMO there was nothing in it that isn't in the Garmin Connect app or nothing that added any specific value to my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

If you're using the free version a while they usually start to offer 3 months free trial of the premium? I had it for a year at one point (i forgot to cancel the free trial of course :rolleyes:), I no longer have it and i don't miss it. IMO there was nothing in it that isn't in the Garmin Connect app or nothing that added any specific value to my training.

+1 to this. I started the free trial a couple of nights back but it hasn't told me anything I didn't know before. Between Garmin Connect, Strava free version and Runalyze I have enough data to do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

skyblue46 wrote: »
    +1 to this. I started the free trial a couple of nights back but it hasn't told me anything I didn't know before. Between Garmin Connect, Strava free version and Runalyze I have enough data to do me.

Had never heard of Runalyze. Will have to take a look at it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

Started to train for DCM a few weeks back and thinking about new runners. I had a gait analysis done back in September and got the runners suggested. Replaced these in April with with the same version but bought them online! . Just wondering now if I should go back and have another gait analysis done or just purchase the same runners again online (saving of 60%!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Neera wrote: »
    Started to train for DCM a few weeks back and thinking about new runners. I had a gait analysis done back in September and got the runners suggested. Replaced these in April with with the same version but bought them online! . Just wondering now if I should go back and have another gait analysis done or just purchase the same runners again online (saving of 60%!)

Just buy again online. You'd only be wasting money on a gait analysis. Your gait is highly unlikely to change in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Stem Cell for Knee injuries - Has anybody here done this yet?

Clinic in Dublin doing it - Medica

Based off of work done at Trinity & Co

Another promising device in the works - https://www.cartiheal.com/agili-c/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I've been a casual runner on and off for about 3 years now. I never tracked my distances or speed and I've never been in a formal race, I used to just run for X amount of minutes as exercise.

I signed up for my first race and have been following a training plan on a running app. Each session has had a time goal so far but this week there's a "speed" run where the goal is 3 x 1000.

My question is, what does that actually mean? Do I stop between each kilometre for a rest? Or do I run at speed for a km, then slow to a jog to catch my breath and then go again etc? Or does it mean just go for the 3k straight through but faster than normal?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

With intervals, there's a pause (standing, walking, light jogging) between each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I signed up for my first race and have been following a training plan on a running app. Each session has had a time goal so far but this week there's a "speed" run where the goal is 3 x 1000.

Run as hard as you can for 1000m, then jog slowly for 500m to recover. Repeat three times. You should read it as 3x 1000/500.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I've been a casual runner on and off for about 3 years now. I never tracked my distances or speed and I've never been in a formal race, I used to just run for X amount of minutes as exercise.

My question is, what does that actually mean? Do I stop between each kilometre for a rest? Or do I run at speed for a km, then slow to a jog to catch my breath and then go again etc? Or does it mean just go for the 3k straight through but faster than normal?
    There generally is a recovery period between each 1k rep, but there's no "standard", it depends on what the session is supposed to be doing. A 5k runner might have 60 seconds static rest. A 1500m runner might have 2 minutes or more between reps. A marathoner might have 30 seconds of easy running.

The training plan should specify what the recovery is, and if it doesn't, it's not a very good plan

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Strava question:
    If a run shows you with achievements such as 2nd/3rd fastest 10 mile, 15km, 20km etc - how do you find you what your fastest ones are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Strava question:
    If a run shows you with achievements such as 2nd/3rd fastest 10 mile, 15km, 20km etc - how do you find you what your fastest ones are?

If you go to your strava profile (using PC desktop instead of app) then you'll see your estimated best efforts down the right hand side of the page and if you click on the times it will bring you to the run where you did those best efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If you go to your strava profile (using PC desktop instead of app) then you'll see your estimated best efforts down the right hand side of the page and if you click on the times it will bring you to the run where you did those best efforts.
    Thanks - it gives the options for 1km, 1 mile, 5km, 10km and half. But I'm trying to find a best 10 mile effort and the fastest half is giving a 2nd fastest 10 mile effort.

Advertisement