Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there Poor Countries?

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭Annurca Apples

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So we should have 'selective' democracy or something?

I'd advocate for a system similar to the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No, democracy without referendums.

I particularly like that term, referendums are potentially the most democratic policy available in democracy

I'd advocate for a system similar to the US.

Course you would, plutocracy disguised as democracy, no thanks!

Course you would, plutocracy disguised as democracy, no thanks!

What does "cause you would" mean? What are you trying to communicate with those words?

Most people don't understand human nature, they have an idealised vision of it which doesn't play out in reality. Most people have a greater propensity to be a tyrant than they realise. This is why it's important that constitutional and political structures are in place to prevent any one person holding too much power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Greece was thrown under the bus, so that the status quo of the actual axis of power remained the same in the EU, it worked, for now!

Greek are lazy Fcukers.

What does "cause you would" mean? What are you trying to communicate with those words?

Its becoming apparent from your posts, please correct me if I'm wrong, you're into 'strongman leadership'?

YFlyer wrote:
    Greek are lazy Fcukers.

According to data, just as productive as the rest of us, it's clearly obvious they were thrown under the bus to protect plutocratic interests, particularly of European financial institutions, similar to ourselves, but more so

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Work ethic and productivity are as important as natural resources hence the reason Ireland is now going well whereas Greece is still a basket case. Places like Saudi and UAE would crumble to the ground if the oil revenue disappeared (which would not be a bad thing imo).

Ireland has benefited greatly from proximity and an inheritance of a work ethic that chases more than feeding the immediate family. Other places without that work ethic need to rely on their natural resources to generate wealth. The most successful countries (Germany, Scandinavia et al) have had generations of this work ethic to build upon.

Don't know about Greece, but when I was in Germany no one worked one minute over their contracted hours with out getting overtime, the same in France.

Still see the same as I work with a lot of people based in Europe. Irish people are stupid enough to work overtime with out pay or time in lieu.

Its becoming apparent from your posts, please correct me if I'm wrong, you're into 'strongman leadership'?

I'm not sure how "strongman leadership" is defined. I advocate structuring institutions and the constitution such that no one person can abuse their power, to the detriment of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Irelands transformation in a generation is unreal. The rise of people's income in 30 years has been quite dramatic. The cost of property, cost of living has increased dramatically. In Britian peoples wages have increased very little in the last 30 years , in Ireland they have risen substantially.

In the 1970s and 1980s Ireland had mass emigration, high unemployment, massive government corruption that was rampant. Prime Minster ( Haughey ) and Minsters would soon be exposed in tribunals. The church had massive control over people's believes and social actions. Sex outside marraiage was frowned upon , contraception limited , divorce abortion and homosexuality were all illegal. The countries finances were piss poor , limited industrial activity and widespead corruption , corrinism and gombeemisn. Ireland was the butt of international jokes. Irish Paddy man joke books sold by 100000s in UK. Ireland was seen as a country of priests , pixies and peasants especially in the Uk. Nationalism was strong , while a sectarian religious civil war was happenning in the north of the island which impacted the whole of the Island as the Ulster went up in flames for 3 decades.

This countries transformation in a generation is nothing short of incredible. From homosexuality outlawed to an openly gay Prime Minister , from mass unemployment and emigration to near full employment and inward migration , from a deeply religious catholic country to a liberal progressive country , from little or no industries to nearly every world famous company on our shores eg Apple , Intel , Google , Facebook etc. Its quite a turnaround in such a short period of time. Ireland was the sickman of western Europe up to very very recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

India certainly isn't a poor country but it has high levels of poverty, stuff you wouldn't believe

South Africa is not a poor country yet just outside Cape Town with its vast wealth are tens of thousands living in tin huts on the side of the motorway.

USA is not a poor country but you have big areas of major hubs now tent cities

Brazil is not a poor country but you have tens of thousands living in thrown up buildings on a hill overlooking 5 star hotels and high end apartments
    Sonny678 wrote: »
    Irelands transformation in a generation is unreal. The rise of people's income in 30 years has been quite dramatic. The cost of property, cost of living has improved dramatically. In Britian peoples wages have increased very little in the last 30 years , in Ireland they have risen substantially.

No question. My mother born in 1951 frequently talks about growing up in a two room (not two bedroom) thatched house with 5 siblings, no water, no electricity in west Roscommon. They are building houses as big as the White House in that area these days with 3-4 cars sitting outside

I'm not sure how "strongman leadership" is defined. I advocate structuring institutions and the constitution such that no one person can abuse their power, to the detriment of society.

...and you re advocating for an American type system!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

According to data, just as productive as the rest of us, it's clearly obvious they were thrown under the bus to protect plutocratic interests, particularly of European financial institutions, similar to ourselves, but more so

What data?

...and you re advocating for an American type system!

Where do you see the contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

rossie1977 wrote:
    No question. My mother born in 1951 frequently talks about growing up in a two room (not two bedroom) thatched house with 5 siblings, no water, no electricity in west Roscommon. They are building houses as big as the White House in that area these days with 3-4 cars sitting outside

That was the norm back then. 6 or 7 or 8 siblings in one house( two room, one bedroom house ) was normal, no running water, no electricity, outside tiolet and very little money. If anything many people lived in much worse conditions. Regards now , liam Gallagher tells a story when he goes to visit his relatives in Mayo he says they all have houses bigger then his back in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    How could 90% of people be unemployed, surely subsistence farming is a common feature?

Sorry - I meant the capital city of Niamey.

In the countryside, they are running subsistence farms. Drought and famine are common.

In the city, the family tend to be dependent on a single breadwinner.

90% still seems incredible in the capital city

Advertisement