Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why arent many female comedians funny ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Jackpot time for the many of the pale, stale males that inhabit this place.

Cranking themselves off around the clock because they've no luck with the ladies.
    My nephew is one of those. He's always giving out because my son's never had a problem meeting girls whereas my he can't get a sniff of fanny. It might help that my son is athletic, well-read and doesn't spend fifteen hours a week playing Sonic on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

fatknacker wrote: »
    In order to be *really* funny you have to be self deprecating a man? .

I amended your post to fine tune how young Roger actually thinks, Fatknacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Wanda Sykes is an excellent comedian too. I saw her stand up lately, excellent physical comedic parts to it.

Conan O Brien has a podcast, it's just him interviewing comedians and actors he's known over the years, there's an episode with her and she's hilarious, very dry and dark.

Actually that's a good podcast for anyone who's nerdily interested in comedy, and probably tortuous for anyone who's not, it's a lot of he and the guest just gushing at each other and dissecting jokes. The Bill Hader one just descends into them doing their favourite Simpsons lines for each other.

The Michelle Obama and Stephen Colbert ones can be skipped, apart from that there's a whole first series that's very good and another on the way. Bill Hader, Mila Kunis and Nick Offerman/Megan Mullaly episodes are particularly great.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    My nephew is one of those. He's always giving out because my son's never had a problem meeting girls whereas my he can't get a sniff of fanny. It might help that my son is athletic, well-read and doesn't spend fifteen hours a week playing Sonic on the computer.

If they didn't spend all their fcuking time playing the fcuking nintendo and wash occasionally they might come within an asses roar of getting a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Conan O Brien has a podcast, it's just him interviewing comedians and actors he's known over the years, there's an episode with her and she's hilarious, very dry and dark.

Actually that's a good podcast for anyone who's nerdily interested in comedy, and probably tortuous for anyone who's not, it's a lot of he and the guest just gushing at each other and dissecting jokes. The Bill Hader one just descends into them doing their favourite Simpsons lines for each other.

Love Conan's podcast.

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee is very similar in dissecting jokes/humour. Both O'Brien and Seinfeld are masters in the field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

If they didn't spend all their fcuking time playing the fcuking nintendo and wash occasionally they might come within an asses roar of getting a ride.
    Back in my day the idea of a grown man playing any of them computer games would genuinely be seen as perverse.

I think they can just walk up to them and say triggered or make a mother in law joke and then the woman will laugh and the woman will have sex with them because evolution though?

I think they can just walk up to them and say triggered or make a mother in law joke and then the woman will laugh and the woman will have sex with them because evolution though?

Ah yes. The stone cold 'knickerdropper' line.

Gets them everytime.

Prepare to be 'debriefed' ladies, there's a new stud in town with a rapist like wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think its because of white male privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Only about three comedians are funny at any one time. Male or female. The rest are just flotsam and jetsam.

My thoughts too. Most comedians are dreck.

Jo Brand, Sarah Silverman and Aisling Bea frequently make me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Aisling Bea is okay. Katherine Ryan I find mostly funny. Tina Fey is probably my favourite of the modern lot with her work on 30 Rock.

Cecily Strong and Kristen Wiig are quite good too from what I've seen.

I love Tina Fey. Genuinely laughed out loud numerous times whilst reading her memoir.

Kristin Wiig is fantastic too though I think of her as a comic actress rather than a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Women are too normal to be funny.

Does anyone remember Smack The Pony? That was class.

I don't think Kate McKinnon has been mentioned either.

In a weird way I like when whatever variation of this theme comes up, I always remember or get reminded of loads of funny bitches I forgot about :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Yeah I like Kate McKinnon & Cecily Strong too but I think SNL is terrible the last 5 years or so. They occasionally have a good sketch but it's mostly just awful stuff unfortunately.

It's probably written by wimmin' :P

Guy Person wrote: »
    Yeah I like Kate McKinnon & Cecily Strong too but I think SNL is terrible the last 5 years or so. They occasionally have a good sketch but it's mostly just awful stuff unfortunately.

It's probably written by wimmin' :P

There have been fairly few periods where SNL's hit to miss ratio has been any good in the last ten or 20 years tbh! Andy Samberg and Lonely Island gave it a good, well timed, internet-friendly shot in the arm, I honestly could see it having been cancelled if that hadn't happened, and it's telling that he was a very atypical SNL cast member (can't do an impression to save his life).

There's aren't many sketches I've laughed at over the past few years but the ones I have I've laughed heartily (the majority of those involving McKinnon). I dunno maybe there's just something about the production format that doesn't work in the 21st century. It's in a weird situation of being a thing that nobody thinks is very funny but continues to find and refine comedians who go on to be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I went out with Doon Mackichan's cousin in a previous life. Which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The laughing at yourself thing is interesting, imo each gender tends to think their own is the more self deprecating or able to laugh at themselves.

Ahhhhh, maybe that’s the wrong term and neurosis was more what I’m talking about?

If I think about some of comedians who have really made me laugh like Seinfeld, Larry David, Louis CK or Woody Allen, and who’ve had a huge impact on comedy and are critically acclaimed, a lot of their humour is of the from, "here’s what eloped consider normal funeral etiquette and here’s why they’re wrong". There’s a real soul-laid-bare, get it off your chest feel to their material that you don’t find in many female stand up's material.

Aisling Bea and Jo Brand are both self deprecating in their acts but it tends to be stuff about bodily functions or embarrassing situations they found themselves in but there’s little enough insight into their mindset from it.

Tina Fey dabbles in it in the guise of Liz Lemon but other than that Dorothy Parker is the only one who springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

SNL has never been funny. It’s a weird, American right of passage for some comedians though. They of course occasionally strike gold like with this Cecily Strong bit:

Would you like some desssrrt?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Wanda Sykes is very good. Bits I've seen of Suzi Ruffel were good.

But by and large, female comedians aren't great in comparison to male comedians. My missus has genuinely tried to prove this point wrong and very sadly admitted her failure after about ten minutes of Aisling Bea when she begged me to turn it off. I'm no fan of Alison Spittle either.

I seem to have had more success watching live stand-up of less popular comedians though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

In fairness there are a lot of crap comedians of both sexes, but it has been very common for women to not be considered funny, which seems unfair.

I have always found the following women funny..

Tracy Ullman
    Kerry Godliman
    Victoria Wood
    Dawn French
    Jennifer Saunders
    Joanna Lumley - she comes with the exquisite bonus of being sexy as well , not all that common anymore, that blonde American Amy Schumer, she is neither funny or sexy, what a travesty and why were we not informed of this earlier?
    Bette Middler
    Joan Rivers
    Sharon Horgan - really funny and really clever = also sexy , she has it all, almost.

Mary Hannigan - hilarious every day
    Miriam Lord - one off our wittiest writers, after me.

The girl on the bus last week who made snide remarks about all the **** sitting at the top window, thanks for the experience , belly laughs are important, I value them.

This list is not exhaustive.

It is also worth noting that comedy like music is a very subjective thing. Every comedian will tell you stories of times they " bombed " on stage. Comedy is not unlike sex, sometimes you just are not horny enough and not in the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

Women don't need to be funny to attract a man. If a woman laughs at a man's jokes, he finds that attractive. The man on the other hand, has to be able to make the woman laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Women don't need to be funny to attract a man. If a woman laughs at a man's jokes, he finds that attractive. The man on the other hand, has to be able to make the woman laugh.

Only if he's not particularly good looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There were funny comedians in the past, nowadays a female comedy act needs to be very political, card carrying feminist.

I do like that Chinese American comedian though, filthy mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Romesh Ranganathan's agent is a fcuking genius.

To get that fella the amount of exposure he enjoys is really top notch representation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Can’t stand Deirdre o’Kane. The sound of her voice is excruciating. She presented the 6 o’clock show on tv3 for a long time and she was just the most dreadful of anchor. She wasn’t able to have a conversation with any guest and she would just make everything about her and what she thought or would do. She is an absolute pain in the hole and I wish I didn’t have to see her on tv or hear her voiceovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Or for those of us who prefer not to think at all, just boil that on down to "women aren't funny hnarf arf arf"

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its sad that women on here take a topic pointing out an observation, and get butt hurt about it.
    "hnarf arf arf" ….. Me toooooo? its funny

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Can’t stand Deirdre o’Kane. The sound of her voice is excruciating. She presented the 6 o’clock show on tv3 for a long time and she was just the most dreadful of anchor. She wasn’t able to have a conversation with any guest and she would just make everything about her and what she thought or would do. She is an absolute pain in the hole and I wish I didn’t have to see her on tv or hear her voiceovers.

She is the one who does those electrical adverts too, right? The queen of nasal post ironic world weariness. Those adverts are soooo bad. If I ever wanted an electrical scooter I would buy it in the place for which she does not advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

greenspurs wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

Its sad that women on here take a topic pointing out an observation, and get butt hurt about it.
    "hnarf arf arf" ….. Me toooooo? its funny

It’s really not.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    There were funny comedians in the past, nowadays a female comedy act needs to be very political, card carrying feminist.
    That's not true though. Nina Conti, Maria Bamford, Michelle Wolf, Chelsea Peretti, Fern Brady off the top of my head are not feminist type comedians. If you only look for a certain type then you will only see a certain type.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I do like that Chinese American comedian though, filthy mouth
    What kind of parents would name their child filthy mouth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'd be the first to give out about misogyny but the insults here are mostly just from those like a broken record going on about comic book guy types. Ye have your little gang who make nasty comments over and over saying the same thing on a loop. Particularly ironic is the guy who on other threads says derogatory things about his own daughter.

Advertisement