Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why arent many female comedians funny ?

Options
  • 01-10-2019 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

iI was watching the Living with Lucy programme last night , where she was living with Deirdre OKane, and I was thinking , AGAIN, why isn't she funny?
    Is it just me ?
    But no, Mrs Greenspurs felt the same. We got to discussing it, and struggled to find a female comedian that made us laugh.

A list for ranking : (In my opinion)
    Deirdre OKane - as already mentioned, I don't 'get it' …
    Ashling Bea - okay, I have laughed a few times :)
    Amy Schumer - just how? How is she considered funny??
    Katherine Ryan - has her funny moments, mainly the botox job...….
    Amy Poehler - Just no ….
    Alison Spittle - ?? what ….??
    Maeve Higgins - ??? why ????
    Katherine Lynch - good god ….. :rolleyes:
    Sharon Horgan - a hybrid OKane/Bea
    Sarah Silverman - good satirist
    Sarah Millican - come on … Not a comedian !
    Miranda Hart - better actress than funny
    Jo Brand - love her observational comedy, and acidic humour
    Gina Yashere - too many race/ gender 'jokes'

Exceptions :
    Joan Rivers - the queen, mainly funny due to her scathing opinions, but funny!
    Kathy Griffin - another funny one.

Opinions …..
    Obviously there are many unfunny male comedians, but the majority of male comedians , I feel , are funny.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

There's a lot less of them.

If you take all the male comedians and found the funny ones its a small number.

If you take all the female comedians they get more exposure because of their sex but the same ratio applies.

There are funny ones. Just very few.

I like Aisling Bea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLU6m1D_uWs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

greenspurs wrote: »
    iI was watching the Living with Lucy programme last night , where she was living with Deirdre OKane, and I was thinking , AGAIN, why isn't she funny?
    Is it just me ?
    But no, Mrs Greenspurs felt the same. We got to discussing it, and struggled to find a female comedian that made us laugh.

A list for ranking : (In my opinion)
    Deirdre OKane - as already mentioned, I don't 'get it' …
    Ashling Bea - okay, I have laughed a few times :)
    Amy Schumer - just how? How is she considered funny??
    Katherine Ryan - has her funny moments, mainly the botox job...….
    Amy Poehler - Just no ….
    Alison Spittle - ?? what ….??
    Maeve Higgins - ??? why ????
    Katherine Lynch - good god ….. :rolleyes:
    Sharon Horgan - a hybrid OKane/Bea
    Sarah Silverman - good satirist
    Sarah Millican - come on … Not a comedian !
    Miranda Hart - better actress than funny
    Jo Brand - love her observational comedy, and acidic humour
    Gina Yashere - too many race/ gender 'jokes'

Exceptions :
    Joan Rivers - the queen, mainly funny due to her scathing opinions, but funny!
    Kathy Griffin - another funny one.

Opinions …..
    Obviously there are many unfunny male comedians, but the majority of male comedians , I feel , are funny.

Only about three comedians are funny at any one time. Male or female. The rest are just flotsam and jetsam.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

She wasn't funny on the late late recently. Although the horror Ryan tubridy gave her loads of fake laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    She wasn't funny on the late late recently. Although the horror Ryan tubridy gave her loads of fake laughs.

That's because Tubridy is incapable of holding a human conversation and reads off prepared questions which destroys the flow of any interview.

Put her on with Tommy Tiernan and I have no doubt she'd be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Alison Spittle did a quick show in the entertainment tent at the races in Leopardstown last Christmas. I had half a dozen pints down the hatch at that stage, but I found her self-deprecating humour to be funny.

Plus, she really seems to annoy losers on the internet who proclaim to somehow be an expert on comedy, yet wouldn’t know comedy if it hit them in the face with an oversized frying pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I like Aisling Bea,but it's mainly because i'd love to ride her, so everything she says seems funnier somehow.
    Can't really think of any other funny women at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

This clip is really funny, one of my favorites. No idea if she's alway this funny, but it's gold. Her accent really makes it.

Alison Spittle did a quick show in the entertainment tent at the races in Leopardstown last Christmas. I had half a dozen pints down the hatch at that stage, but I found her self-deprecating humour to be funny.

I just got sick in my mouth.
    How could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

They're just not as edgy as you are, OP. :cool:

Earthhorse wrote: »

O you're cool.

• Advertisement

Aisling Bea is okay. Katherine Ryan I find mostly funny. Tina Fey is probably my favourite of the modern lot with her work on 30 Rock.

Cecily Strong and Kristen Wiig are quite good too from what I've seen.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    O you're cool.

Thanks, mom!

He should go on the stage himself with his funny lists. I’m sure that will bring the house down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

In order to be really funny comedians must be able to laugh at themselves, appear to be stupid, or inept, and be the butt of the joke.
    Male comedians seem to find this easier to do than female comedians. Most of the females that I have seen seem to want to prove how clever they and many are blatantly sexist, (e.g. Jo Brand).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,637 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Aisling Bea reminds me of Jason Byrne in a short skirt.

Very similar style and both tediously unfunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Meh, many male comedians aren't funny either. Russell Howard, Rob Beckett, Josh Widdicombe etc...

I like Maria Bamford & Kristen Schaal. Michelle Wolf is funny from what I have seen but her voice grates on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Im edgy ? Thanks …
    Woke Hogan wrote: »
    He should go on the stage himself with his funny lists. I’m sure that will bring the house down.

Oooohh….. "FInd more posts" ….. Stalker alert....
    Thanks for your imput. As unfunny as most of the females mentioned.....

Im edgy ? Thanks …

“Find more posts?” Your first post here is a ‘funny’ list! :D:D:D Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Im edgy ? Thanks …

The dude was just pointing out that your post came across as having been written by a demented lunatic. There wasn’t an ounce of humour in it either. More an angry rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Can't stand O'kane and that voice.

Almost as bad as Joan Burton.

Don't really find female comedians that funny.
    A fair few of them resort to having a pop at men or more particularly the men in their lives, ala Jo Brand and her poor husband.

Come to think of it a fair few of the male comedians don't deserve the airtime they get either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Some men find it hard to relate to the experiences of women - even though we make up half of the world, our worldview is considered niche. For example, I've never had an erection, but I have laughed at jokes about getting boners in an awkward place - it's pretty funny. But if a woman stands up and talks about the time she got her period at work and left a mess all over one of the conference chairs, a lot of the male audience will not find that funny. They probably think it's almost tragic.

It's probably the same reason a lot of men won't read a book by a female author because subconsciously they don't believe the writing could reach the depth of feeling that a man might.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I've never had an erection
    I have one right now. Do you want it so you can experience what you are missing out on?

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    “Find more posts?” Your first post here is a ‘funny’ list! :D:D:D Hahaha

Incorrect on both counts, carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Guy Person wrote: »
    I have one right now. Do you want it so you can experience what your missing out on?

Somehow, I doubt I am missing out on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I wouldn't bother genderising the problem. Loads of male 'comedians' aren't such at all. They are merely 'personalities' with connections to get on TV who have the brass neck to try standup.

Joan Rivers would have wiped the floor with them.

Many of the Irish and British females like Bea and Millican who try comedy seem to angle towards kooky/quirky self-deprecation, which the female audience component seems to like. I prefer wit so they leave me cold.

The dude was just pointing out that your post came across as having been written by a demented lunatic. There wasn’t an ounce of humour in it either. More an angry rant.

Barely hidden insult....

True to form for you though ….

Somehow, I doubt I am missing out on much.
    True enough Lux.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Catherine Tate hit a few very funny notes in her show, she’s a grumpy bastard with a knack for taking off the irritating eejits we all come across on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Aisling Bea can be good at times. She had a few good moments on Cats does Countdown.

I'm surprised there are not many Irish comedians that have made it big in general. If Ed Byrne can make the big time then there is hope for all of them. He is about as funny as a torn banjo string.

• Advertisement

Some men find it hard to relate to the experiences of women - even though we make up half of the world, our worldview is considered niche. For example, I've never had an erection, but I have laughed at jokes about getting boners in an awkward place - it's pretty funny. But if a woman stands up and talks about the time she got her period at work and left a mess all over one of the conference chairs, a lot of the male audience will not find that funny. They probably think it's almost tragic.

It's probably the same reason a lot of men won't read a book by a female author because subconsciously they don't believe the writing could reach the depth of feeling that a man might.

Nonsense. Any time I've been to see a comedian. The majority of the audience is male.
    Some gags can be funny about women's bodies.
    But know your audience.

Woman make up half the world, but would the same amount of females like comedy/comedians as males??? I don't think so.

Advertisement