Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why arent many female comedians funny ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Guy Person wrote: »
    (who zinged me earlier in this thread!).

What does that mean? (Pardon my ignorance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That's the thing though, i'd say it's 50 / 50 in real life. There are just as many women who are funny as men, but it just doesn't seem to translate to stand up comedy. I've no idea why but it's definitely there in my opinion, any number of funny male stand ups, precious few women.

There's a lifestyle associated with getting established in stand up that's a lot of months on the road, sleeping in vans, poverty and alcohol. Women don't, by and large tend to be drawn to that sort of thing where men are more able to put up with it. The scene when stand up itself was being established was a very macho, locker room sort of place a lot of the time too. You end up with an industry that's male dominated for those reasons, and that male dominance itself then makes women less likely to go for it and more likely to drop out.

Stand up is a pretty solitary life too, the act takes all the risk, all the glory. The aspects of comedy where there are more women, and more women excelling, tend to be more collaborative; sketch comedy, tv ensembles. Also lines of work while you'll work hard and long, it'll probably be in the one place and you can just half ass your family commitments rather than completely abandon them for six months of the year :pac:

When you think about it a little it does start to make sense pretty quickly.

Or for those of us who prefer not to think at all, just boil that on down to "women aren't funny hnarf arf arf"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    There's definitely a lot of angry young men on the internet who hold Alison Spittle in particular contempt, probably because she's committing the crime of not being particularly attractive.

I have never seen her live but my daughter insisted I watch that sitcom Spittle put out a few years ago. It wasn't to my taste but I wasn't foaming at the mouth watching it either, frantically compiling a list of female comedians and trying to top myself with each bilious description in turn. Most critics of female comedians don't seem to have any hint of a sense of humour themselves.

Fairly astute observations there, Hogan. I've never watched any of Spittle's tv shows, but I did find her stand-up pretty funny. Not exactly slapping my knees with laughter, but it was the sort of pleasant, self-deprecating, and slightly awkward comedy that harms nobody. Fair fúcks to her.

It was the same a few years back with the girl from Cork - Maeve Higgins. Subject to terrible abuse from the internet hate crew. Again, saw her a few times in the International, and found her funny. Maybe I just like self-deprecating humour, but I think it's more to do with recognising that people find different things funny. Like for example, I find Stewart Lee about as funny as an outbreak of measles, but there's loads of overweight men with those little beards who seem to rate him as some sort of comedy messiah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    What does that mean? (Pardon my ignorance)
    It means she gave a great slagging comeback to something I said. I think it's an American phrase, another way to put it could be she "burned" me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭randd1

When you watch comedy, you want to be entertained at the same time. The problem I find with most female comedians is that more often than not, their jokes are an interruption of a lecture about womanhood, and they're mostly jokes we've heard before. There's nothing really new and the entertainment value drops as a result.

When females comedians don't go down the safe route they're as funny as any man. Joan Rivers being the classic example. Jo Brand's jokes are based purely on sexism, but they're funny, and she can be great at observational humour.

Also with some comedians it depends on the medium. Ed Byrne as an example, I wouldn't cross the road to watch one of his shows, they're not that funny (the odd joke aside) and way too rehearsed. Yet on TV shows, when he has to make jokes off the cuff, he can be quite witty and genuinely funny. And I genuinely think female comedians work better on panel shows where the off the cuff jokes sound better than the rehearsed monologues that many of them do in shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Thank you, Guy. Likewise ;)

Lots of funny women out there, kildare lad. If you're a 'lads lads lads' type of lad, then I'm guessing you don't make time for female friendships.

I am a bit , but I did hang around with plenty of girls when I was younger , still chat to plenty of women at my kids sport and worked with about 40 women for 2 years . Ye you could have a laugh and a joke with lots of them but I'd only ever say that one of them was " gas ". I just don't think women are generally funny .

I remember reading an article before why men were funnier than women , it had to do with trying to attract women . If you were good looking or rich , you normally had no problem with women. But if you were neither , the only other way of attracting women was by making them laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Never really understood this distinction between whether Men or Women are funnier. Maybe it's just not how my brain works, but I find some people funny and some not, their gender has nothing to do with it, at least for me.

Also, I can't believe no-one has put this clip up during this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

While the title of this thread does read like trolling, there definitely is some truth in it.

As electro-bich said perhaps there is an element of the 'life' of a standup that may account for it, but I think that perhaps it may be due to the fact that you need to be more of a misanthrope to be a great comedian. I'm not sure there are that many female comedians that would be put into that category without being confused as a misandrist, which would promptly end their career...

Also Deirdre O'Kane joins the select group of WTF irish 'comedians'. Notable members include Jason Byrne, Ed Byrne, PJ Gallagher....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Homelander wrote: »
    This clip is really funny, one of my favorites. No idea if she's alway this funny, but it's gold. Her accent really makes it.

She is adorable, must look her up.
    I like Kristen Wiig the odd time I come across her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hitchens summed it up by saying men need to be able to make women laugh if they want to stay in the gene pool whereas women don't need to, we like them just the way they are.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Fairly astute observations there, Hogan.

Naturally, you would be inclined to agree with yourself.

Setting out your stall as a heroic defender to Spittle/Higgins is as futile as pushing back the tide. Instead of pontificating from a height, try to accept that people other than your multiple selves have their own comedic preferences. You don't get to dictate taste, so why flail about like an angst-ridden teenager with a gross inferiority complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Forgetting the gender aspect of the thread, can we at least all agree that Mitch Hedberg is/was the best comedian? Even now 14 years after he died nobody makes me laugh more than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I remember reading an article before why men were funnier than women , it had to do with trying to attract women . If you were good looking or rich , you normally had no problem with women. But if you were neither , the only other way of attracting women was by making them laugh.

Do men not look for a woman that makes them laugh?

If you're with a partner and they don't make you laugh a lot, then to me, you're with the wrong person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Setting out your stall as a heroic defender to Spittle/Higgins is as futile as pushing back the tide. Instead of pontificating from a height, try to accept that people other than your multiple selves have their own comedic preferences. You don't get to dictate taste, so why flail about like an angst-ridden teenager with a gross inferiority complex.
    You're starting early today. Happy hour in the tavern?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Oh dear. What a disaster. You better stick to the funny lists, funny man.

triggered ?

:cool:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

You noticed that too ??

dubstepper wrote: »
    While the title of this thread does read like trolling, there definitely is some truth in it.

As electro-bich said perhaps there is an element of the 'life' of a standup that may account for it, but I think that perhaps it may be due to the fact that you need to be more of a misanthrope to be a great comedian. I'm not sure there are that many female comedians that would be put into that category without being confused as a misandrist, which would promptly end their career...

Also Deirdre O'Kane joins the select group of WTF irish 'comedians'. Notable members include Jason Byrne, Ed Byrne, PJ Gallagher....

How? What ?? :confused::confused::confused:
    Its my observation about comedians.
    In my opinion, I find that a lot of the female comedians on tv/stand up , just don't make me laugh, and I gave examples of them.
    I also gave examples of women that do make me laugh ??

Which bit is trolling, and which bit is the bit that "definitely is (has *sic) some truth in it"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I've only one account on this site, Bertie. If you've compiled a file with evidence to the contrary, then I'd suggest you present it to the Admin team and let them mull it over. Otherwise you're in danger of coming across as being a bit 'unhinged'.

I've been to events where Higgins and Spittle went on stage and performed comedy. I didn't find either of them outrageously funny, but I did find both of them made me laugh. Legit like. Certainly neither of them have done something so outrageous and disgraceful that they deserve the bile and hate that gets thrown at them by oddball men (always men) who seem to spend their days trying to double down on how angry they woke up that morning.

That's all. Chillax, pal. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

dubstepper wrote: »

I do find, in general, men are funnier than women (but not by much) and that the very best stand ups are men. But women have only broken into comedy in any kind of numbers in the last twenty years or so.

Tbh, the life of an actress, producer, writer (like Sharon Horgan's) isn't much better. I think it's more to do with what another poster said about the level of laughing at yourself that men do vs women. Just my own opinion, of course, and impossible to prove, it'll be interesting to see what the next generation of women stand ups are like and whether they change in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Guy Person wrote: »
    Forgetting the gender aspect of the thread, can we at least all agree that Mitch Hedberg is/was the best comedian? Even now 14 years after he died nobody makes me laugh more than him.

Loved Hedberg but its still Bill Hicks for me. As clever as he was dark.

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    triggered ?

:cool:

See now that's the kind of joke Aisling Bea couldn't come up with in like a week, and it took you BARELY an hour! Amazing! And coming hot on the heels of a "you ok hon?"

I mean how do 3000 of ye manage to come up with saying that every day? Oooh the comedy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I've only one account on this site, Bertie. If you've compiled a file with evidence to the contrary, then I'd suggest you present it to the Admin team and let them mull it over. Otherwise you're in danger of coming across as being a bit 'unhinged'.

I've been to events where Higgins and Spittle went on stage and performed comedy. I didn't find either of them outrageously funny, but I did find both of them made me laugh. Legit like. Certainly neither of them have done something so outrageous and disgraceful that they deserve the bile and hate that gets thrown at them by oddball men (always men) who seem to spend their days trying to double down on how angry they woke up that morning.

One more observation I would like to make about the likes of Spittle and Higgins: at least they're operating on good faith, namely in the effort of trying to make people laugh.

Their incel internet critics, however? I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Do men not look for a woman that makes them laugh?

Can't speak for all men but I certainly do. Its a very important aspect of a relationship.

Loved Hedberg but its still Bill Hicks for me. As clever as he was dark.

I was just rewatching some Richard Pryor during the week because my brother's gf hadn't heard of him and I think my heart still belongs to him. I think he was pretty instrumental in shaping the actual way stand up was produced and consumed as well, like the big tours in big venues, how personal the comedy was, the thing of filming live shows rather than recording comedy "albums".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

The funniest sketch I've ever seen is Katherine Lynch's Liz Hurley from Mohill. I like all her characters but this one is incredibly funny; at one point she's sliding down a slanted wall for her own amusement, has to be seen to be believed! (Also fond of a pint of
    shnakebite).
    In general I think there are more funny men, but there are definitely a few hilarious women comics.

See now that's the kind of joke Aisling Bea couldn't come up with in like a week, and it took you BARELY an hour! Amazing! And coming hot on the heels of a "you ok hon?"

I mean how do 3000 of ye manage to come up with saying that every day? Oooh the comedy!

:confused:
    :rolleyes:

Are you Ok hon ?
    You seem a bit triggered there....
    Or were you trying to be funny ??? I just don't know ….. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

greenspurs wrote: »
    :confused:
    :rolleyes:

Are you Ok hon ?
    You seem a bit triggered there....
    Or were you trying to be funny ??? I just don't know ….. :rolleyes:

Weak.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

I agree with everything Pintman Paddy Losty says above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Alison Spittle did a quick show in the entertainment tent at the races in Leopardstown last Christmas. I had two dozen pints down the hatch at that stage, but I found her self-deprecating humour to be funny.

Plus, she really seems to annoy losers on the internet who proclaim to somehow be an expert on comedy, yet wouldn’t know comedy if it hit them in the face with an oversized frying pan.

Johnny, I fixed a mistake in your post

• Advertisement

Whatever about the rest of them..We can surely all agree that that O Kane one is definitely not funny..

Advertisement