Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

The reason clouds stay aloft is because the water droplets are extremely small, usually around 10 micrometers (a single raindrop contains over 15 million droplets).

On this scale they have so little weight that the rising hot air current is able to lift them upwards. It's only when they join together to form raindrops that gravity wins and they start to fall as rain.

The dust you see floating in the air follows roughly the same principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ineedaname wrote: »
    The dust you see floating in the air follows roughly the same principle.
    And how much does dusty air weigh? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mikhail wrote: »

About 10.3 tonnes per square meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

jonski wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this , I have the ice packs in the freezer ready to strap onto my head .
    Well if you want a head melter that's quick to check:

Once you know the coins aren't signalling each other, the other thing you could try is that they were set up in advance to land correctly to obey the rules above.

So say the first coin was set in advance to always land heads. The second coin was set in advance to land heads if you flipped it from heads up and tails if you flipped it from tails up.

Well you can see that this would obey my rules 1 and 3. When both start heads they land the same (rule 1) and when both are tails they land differently (rule 3).

However if the first is flipped from heads and the second is flipped from tails, then they land on different faces. However from rule 2 they should land the same way up in that case.

No matter what way you try to set up the coins in advance at least one of the rules will always be broken. The connections between things in our world are too strong to be deterministic.

mikhail wrote: »

It depends if you ask my dad or my ma 😂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

545107.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The planet Saturn has the most moons.

Excluding planets and moons we can't see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The planet Saturn has the most moons.

Excluding planets and moons we can't see.

The planet Saturn also moons the most. It's always got its ring on show.

Sorry...I'm very sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There’s another joke about a planet name, but I can’t put my finger on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Cheetahs can't roar. They can only meow like domestic house cats.

The four "big cats" can roar: lions, tigers, leopards, and jaguars. These species, all of which belong to the Panthera genus, have a ligament in their voice box that can be stretched to create a "larger sound-producing passage and thus a wider range of pitch."

In "small cats" like cheetahs, the "fixed structure" of their voice box limits the range of sounds they can produce. While they can purr continuously, they cannot roar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

mzungu wrote: »
    Cheetahs can't roar. They can only meow like domestic house cats.....

We all know that the cheetah is the fastest land mammal. But its also the fastest accelerating land mammal. In a single stride cheetahs can tack on an extra 7 mph, and at their peak the big cats accelerate at a rate of slightly more than 1 g—meaning they accelerate at roughly the speed of a falling rock.

Greyhounds are the second-fastest land accelerator, can post about 0.7 g's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The singer Cher's mum is still alive. Cher is 73, and her mum is 93.

Were her mum's mum still alive, she'd be 106. She was 13 when Cher's mum was born; the father was 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

cdeb wrote: »
    The singer Cher's mum is still alive. Cher is 73, and her mum is 93.

Were her mum's mum still alive, she'd be 106. She was 13 when Cher's mum was born; the father was 21.
    I used to work with a man in his 80s in a clothes shop in Kilkenny (he used to cycle to work every day), and his mother died around that time.

Pretty cool website that let's you explore the tree of life:
    http://www.onezoom.org/life

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

544901.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Belated thanks to Fourier for his two "coin" posts. I've been abroad and enjoyed a social media free time :). But I still want to know more about the biochemistry stuff.

Anyway, to relax after a stressful flight and being finally in my restful home in rural Ireland again I watched by chance a documentary about sun spots and how the planets in our sun system might influence the rhythm of their occurence and their influence on life on earth. A reputable documentary by the way.

I was riveted and thought about this very thread. But I have to watch it again and take notes to report. It's in German so a link is of no use for most of the readers.

Might take some time because work is looming and needs preparations too.

Fourier, go on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Carry wrote: »

Fourier, go on ;)

I might get this on a t shirt.....a tattoo is too much I think:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

New Home wrote: »
    544901.jpg

That should state earth years.

Or five Irish minutes (as in, "I'll be there in five minutes.")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anyway, to relax after a stressful flight and being finally in my restful home in rural Ireland again I watched by chance a documentary about sun spots and how the planets in our sun system might influence the rhythm of their occurence and their influence on life on earth. A reputable documentary by the way.

I was riveted and thought about this very thread. But I have to watch it again and take notes to report. It's in German so a link is of no use for most of the readers.

Fourier, go on ;)
    There was a guy from New Zealand (I think?) that used to give long term weather forecasts to the likes of farmers and he used to glean the information for his forecasts from sun spots. He had a fairly decent prediction rate.
    I remember that he wanted his work/method recognised by the scientific community but wouldn’t release his method so that it could be peer reviewed. Obviously the scientific world didn’t want to know.

Must see if I can dig out his name.

• Advertisement

Fourier, go on ;)
    :D

There has actually been quite a debate on whether the planets influence sunspots for roughly 250 years. There was a planetary alignment of all the solar system's gas giants in 1804 that corresponded to a sunspot maximum, but the maximum in 1788 occurred when the gas giants were completely unaligned. So by the 1900s people thought sunspots has nothing to do with planets. However questions about it opened up again in the 1970s when some possible connections with sunspots and Jupiter were seen and it has never really been settled. Until now (maybe!)

Recently a German group did actually show a pretty tight correlation between the orbits of Earth, Venus and Jupiter and the cycle of sunspot activity. Earlier studies in the 1900s had always focused on the gas giants alone being the cause. The new German study confirms part of this, there is little relation between the sunspots and what Saturn, Neptune and Uranus are doing. However it shows those studies were flawed because they ignored the closer large rocky planets: Venus and Earth.

Sunspots happen when a plasma current in the Sun moves in such a way that it generates a powerful magnetic field in a given region. This magnetic field then slows nearby plasma currents just beneath the surface by trapping them in place. Since these currents are what carry energy to the surface of the Sun, this means less energy reaches the surface. So the surface plasma begins to cool and go dark. Solar plasma is made of hydrogen which gets more transparent the cooler it is. So the colder plasma in a sunspot becomes transparent and lets us see deeper into the Sun. Which is why they're useful scientifically as we then get to study the deeper plasma layers.

What seems to be happening with the planets is that Earth, Venus and Jupiter together essentially cause tides in the Sun's plasma that then set up poorly understood types of plasma currents beneath the surface. These currents then generate the massive magnetic fields that trap other plasma currents near by.

I'll just say that all of this still isn't very well understood. Fluids of any kind are the hardest physical systems to model mathematically, so we don't know precisely how the tides caused by planets get the plasma moving the right way. In fact we still don't really know what kinds of plasma flows create these super strong magnetic fields and what types just have a weak magnetic field.

It might sound odd but the motion of your coffee when you stir it with a spoon is far more mathematically complex than a black hole and takes some heavy duty mathematics. Oddly very abstract things like black holes are often much simpler than everyday things like fluids. You can win a million for example for showing the equation that would describe a coffee can actually be solved at all:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navier%E2%80%93Stokes_existence_and_smoothness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

BaZmO* wrote: »
    There was a guy from New Zealand (I think?) that used to give long term weather forecasts to the likes of farmers and he used to glean the information for his forecasts from sun spots. He had a fairly decent prediction rate.
    I remember that he wanted his work/method recognised by the scientific community but wouldn’t release his method so that it could be peer reviewed. Obviously the scientific world didn’t want to know.

Ken Ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ken Ring?

I'm not sure. I could be confusing him with someone else.

From his Wiki
    Ring is known for attempting to predict weather and authors books on "how the moon affects the weather", which include an almanac each year for New Zealand (since 1999), Australia (since 2006) and Ireland (since 2010).[13][14] He believes that the cycle of weather follows a lunar pattern and can be used to predict weather many years in advance.[15] The lunar cycle occurs every 9 years,[16] while the solar cycle repeats at 11 year intervals[17] and by assessing the two Ring believes that the weather recycles through a 355-day cycle, a 19-year cycle, and a 36-year cycle.[1] According to his website it is not an exact science - it's not scientific at all[original research?] - and is opinion-based similar to economics or political science or astrology and his rainfall predictions can be out by 24 hours and a radius of 50 to 60 miles (80 to 97 km).

That states that he uses Lunar Cycles and not Sun Spots and is not scientific. The guy that I hazily remember definitely said he used Sun Spots and was based in science. :confused:

BaZmO* wrote: »

He wanted his method recognised, but wouldn't tell anyone what it was?

Right so. Sounds like the psychics saying the conditions weren't right for them this time, but normally they can see things.

Who said his long-term rate was decent btw? Was it him? Or the tabloid media who generate clicks out of "Lots of snow this winter, says famous NZ farmer"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

8bce9f50e0b5f81f1b33187d7068baf5-full.jpg

I think pretty much all of us love Fourier! I know I do :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh I love him right up to the point my eyes cross and smoke starts to billow out my ear holes as my brain overheats. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh I love him right up to the point my eyes cross and smoke starts to billow out my ear holes as my brain overheats. :D

I think he's hot too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wibbs wrote: »

Yeah, physics is very interesting but it gets to a point where I have to check out as I feel like Homer Simpson watching Twin Peaks.

Neptune was the outermost planet of the solar system from 1846 until 1930.

And from 1979 until 1999.

And from 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Speaking of planets the planets in the solar system do not orbit the sun. they orbit the center of mass of all the objects in the solar system which just happens to the be very close to the sun. this point is called the barycenter

Speaking of planets the planets in the solar system do not orbit the sun. they orbit the center of mass of all the objects in the solar system which just happens to the be very close to the sun. this point is called the barycenter
    I hadn't realised it moved around so much. Nor indeed that there were so many cranks on the internet convinced that the barycentre is the key to understanding how the CIA is controlling their dentist.
    bary-1980-2005.png?w=500&h=498

In spite of a fairly big moon, the earth-moon barycentre is inside the earth.
    0_1fb6bb_397460bb_orig.jpg

Speaking of big moons, it seems to be a total coincidence that the moon is just far enough away that it covers about the same area of sky as the sun. One consequence is that our solar eclipses are a natural wonder most planets will never experience.

Enjoy them while you can. In 600000000 years, they'll be gone - the moon will have receded far enough that the coincidence in sizes won't be there any more.

The moon is receding from earth about as fast as your fingernails grow

Enjoy them while you can. In 600000000 years, they'll be gone - the moon will have receded far enough that the coincidence in sizes won't be there any more.

The moon is receding from earth about as fast as your fingernails grow
    600,000,000 years? The sun will have burned out rather quicker than that.

The sun has around ten times that left?

5 billion years is the general figure, compared to 600 million years until no eclipses

The sun has around ten times that left?

5 billion years is the general figure, compared to 600 million years until no eclipses
    You're right. I'm tired and misinterpreted the number.

And this is why dividing commas are useful I guess.

Though in India, the commas separate two digits, not three, except for the first comma.

So 1 = one
    1,000 = one thousand
    1,00,000 = one lakh
    1,00,00,000 = one crore
    10,00,00,00,00,000 = one lakh crore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I bet you didn't know that the staircase in Marks & Spencers on Grafton St:

sc2.jpg

sc1.jpg

Actually originated from the old Theatre Royal on Hawkins St:

tr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

On a slightly different note, did you know Robert Liston was the only surgeon with a 300% mortality rate for the one operation?

He performed an amputation of a patients leg, lopped off two of his assistants fingers, both died of sepsis. An observer also died of a heart attack.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/robert-liston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Ryath

:eek:

While amputating another patient’s leg, he broke his personal record by finishing the surgery in two and a half minutes. However, in the interest of speed, he got a little too excited and chopped off the patient’s testicles along with his leg.

If you are amputating someone's leg it's best not to give them something to drink first. It thins the blood or somesuch so they are more likely to bleed out.

After you've cauterised the wound or stitched up the stump they could probably do with a wee drop.

Oh to live in a world with painkillers , sterile surgery , and antibiotics.

I'm always reminded of Tony Robinson's quote about how if you took a peasant from a few hundred years ago and told them they wouldn't have to worry about starving or freezing or working to death and they wouldn't have to bow down before the local lord they'd consider it a New Jerusalem.

Alcohol causes vasodilatation, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

If you are amputating someone's leg it's best not to give them something to drink first. It thins the blood or somesuch so they are more likely to bleed out.

After you've cauterised the wound or stitched up the stump they could probably do with a wee drop.

Oh to live in a world with painkillers , sterile surgery , and antibiotics.

I'm always reminded of Tony Robinson's quote about how if you took a peasant from a few hundred years ago and told them they wouldn't have to worry about starving or freezing or working to death and they wouldn't have to bow down before the local lord they'd consider it a New Jerusalem.
    Imagine if you told them not only would they not have to worry about starving or freezing but they could get money for nothing for the rest of their lives by filling out a few forms! They wouldn't be able to believe it.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Imagine if you told them not only would they not have to worry about starving or freezing but they could get money for nothing for the rest of their lives by filling out a few forms! They wouldn't be able to believe it.

Give it a rest Paddy... this isn't the thread for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Give it a rest yourself. Your not a mod and there's nothing wrong with my post. Someone from hundreds of years ago would find modern life very strange. Very convenient but very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Paddy Cow wrote:
    Give it a rest yourself. Your not a mod and there's nothing wrong with my post. Someone from hundreds of years ago would find modern life very strange. Very convenient but very strange.

Mod

Relax guys, this is meant to be light-hearted.

I was responsible for bringing proceedings to a halt a few days ago - sorry Paddy Cow - so let's see if I can kick things off again,

Did you know that a study carried out shows that the wearing of tinfoil hats is more likely to amplify government reserved frequencies (US I assume) than it is to block any signals!

https://www.howtogeek.com/114037/researchers-prove-tin-foil-hats-boost-receptivity-to-government-signals/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

7662_4c3d_500.jpeg

It would take until 2040 to make that billion.

7662_4c3d_500.jpeg

It would take until 2040 to make that billion.

Just did the maths.
    Somebody can correct me.

2019-1492 is 527 years.

527 * 365 is 192, 355 days

192,355 x $5,000 = $961,775,000.

Part 1 checks out, still wouldn't be a billionaire.
    Part 2, it'll take until 2040, did the maths, again checks out, but Jeff Bezos surely doesn't make $900,000,000 a week??

• Advertisement
Advertisement