Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Guys no mention at all of the west or midlands in the forecast. Shall we be sunbathing?

Currently a countrywide cold event , snow pretty much nailed down for east and south .Showers could travel west if the intensity is there, showers that don't exist yet are hard to predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

Was out waiting for a train earlier in Dublin and pretty sure it was the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced. Been in the house an hour now with the heating on full blast and I’m still shivering. Thank Christ I had a few jars in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

I have the heat and fire on all evening, the temps on my (small and amateur) weather station are normal but it does feel much colder somehow.
    Was out waiting for a train earlier in Dublin and pretty sure it was the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced. Been in the house an hour now with the heating on full blast and I’m still shivering. Thank Christ I had a few jars in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Alcohol will actually give you a false impression of heat, it will cool the body quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It won't, for several reasons. They don't have the amount of ploughs and blowers to deal with this, they will be overwhelmed all over the airfield. Even if they did, they haven't enough de-icing rigs to keep the planes remotely on schedule. Also, Dublin's most frequent traffic is to/from the UK and northern Europe, those locations will be fecked as well, even by their own standards,so aircraft will not be where they are supposed to be.

IMO, from Wednesday on, air travel should be written off until further notice.

Well I suppose for a once in a decade event you cannot expect full throttle either.

However, I am sure sis will know the situation from her European connection airport in time.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Larbre34 wrote: »
    IMO, from Wednesday on, air travel should be written off until further notice.

Disagree, snowfall amounts aren't known and in a situation with showers, there may only be a few kilometers between places with 30cm and places with 3cm.

Even if they get alot of snow, if there's a lull of a good few hours runways will be cleared and ops will resume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

As much as the build up to this event will excite all us long term lurkers on this forum in the coming days , which I include myself.

Maybe we can all pause and take the opportunity over the weekend to reach out to our TD's on social media and request that plans are put in place , to provide shelter for those fellow citizens who for what ever reason are living on the streets etc.

This is looking to be an unprecedented climatic event for the main areas of population of this Great Island.

Lets have it remembered for happy SNOW memories like I have of 1982 and not for it's body count.

@campaignforleo has been informed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Hooter23

km79 wrote: »
    I'm confused about something actually!
    Back in 2010 we got down to -13-14 or possibly lower. I was told it was colder due to the snow fields.
    Now I'm reading it could be coldest in the West later in the week due to clear skies but no snow??????

Maybe with the mixture of clear skies over the west and the wind blowing over snowfields in the east towards the west....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

This is going to be a disaster from a farming point of view. Hardship on man and beast after an already very challenging previous 7 months.

These threads have saved me thousands since storm Darwin. Always had enough time to secure and board off tunnels and take down crop covers and such.
    Have been harvesting and storing veg since tuesday and have a naturally cool back bedroom cleared out for a couple thousand seedlings.

just some frost fleece to cut now tomorrow for the tunnels and I am ready.

Have at least a months veg stored for the family was afraid of the frozen ground.

And I was counting my lucky stars the other day that I stalled on getting animals. Hope it isnt too hard on ye.

So a big thanks to all the forecasters.

Oh and can do veg deliveries around West Cork next week if anyone is stuck

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Sneachta2018

After many months of just following the weather on boards, and never registering, I have decided to sign up. Very very excited about next week. It could be a once in a decade event. I’m on the Kildare and Dublin border, rural area (well as rural as this part of the country can be) and am expecting a serious pasting of snow this week. I work from home so while I will be inconvenienced if I get snowed in, my work won’t suffer to much providing it doesn’t last longer than a week.

However, I am due to be in Sligo on Thursday for a meeting and while the NW is not expecting to get to much snow at this stage, I’m keeping an eye on Thursday nonetheless as some on here have mentioned the possibility of nationwide snow then. Could be a skype job.

Great work with the forecasting folks! I mentioned it to my neighbour this afternoon and he was grateful for the heads up. Told him to check out this forum too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sorry, I hope this is within the charter, but could someone far more techy than me re post the Gif of Kermit typing his report on that typewriter? Was on the previous thread that was closed.

If you can, I hope the real Kermit forecaster doesn't mind.

But I understand if it is not allowed.

This one?

giphy.gif

Gas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

I haven't posted in 4 years but I'm back for the snow.

Ye can't beat boards at times like these!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wind will be stronger in the east . .

Not necessarily. Off shore, maybe, but in east wind situations the west can often experience stronger winds than in the east.

Temps along the extreme east coast will be modified due to the maritime influence, at least initially. Temps becomes less modified further inland and towards the west, but cloud amounts and local geography will be a bigger factor just about anywhere.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

My wife has been telling me about this all week, and now I am starting to believe her because of this thread.

Hate snow, so I am in the minority here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Gaoth Laidir,
    Do you think this is the real mcCoy. Could it rival 87?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

It could be a once in a decade event.

Once in a lifetime my friend aaand welcome.

This one?

giphy.gif

Gas :D

Absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the re post. And glad you saw the funny side too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have a trip booked to Wales for a few days , leaving next Wednesday and coming back on Friday evening. Taking the car.

How bad is this event expected to be. Should I be considering cancelling. I live close to Kildare town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No News...

Cold spell not yet making headlines on 9.00 o'clock RTE news

Waiting for Joannas weather update

Edit:
    Likelihood of further warnings - orange to red during the coming week

And wait for it ...

She will have some more information on the current advisory on the player tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tzardine wrote: »
    I have a trip booked to Wales for a few days , leaving next Wednesday and coming back on Friday evening. Taking the car.

How bad is this event expected to be. Should I be considering cancelling. I live close to Kildare town.

Terrible. Yes. Can it keep?

• Advertisement

I'd love to take the weekend off and log in again Sunday night for the REAL truth.

But I don't think I can do that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

I'd love to take the weekend off and log in again Sunday night for the REAL truth.

But I don't think I can do that now.

i wanted too aswell, tested for an hour but i only lasted 10 minutes and 4 pages had been made in the old thread by then. doesn't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

So might there be Thundersnow? (I know too soon to predict!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Sneachta2018

Once in a lifetime my friend aaand welcome.

I don’t know if that excites me or frightens me !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Chilly Willy

Forgive the newbie post but what are the chances of it not snowing at this stage? I live in quite an isolated location and really can’t stomach the thoughts of another snow like 09 or 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Chong wrote: »
    My wife has been telling me about this all week, and now I am starting to believe her because of this thread.

Hate snow, so I am in the minority here.

I think it's more about the novelty of watching for and seeing a major weather event unfolding as Ireland rarely sees significant snow events.
    Maybe a bit more like train watching and waiting for a once in a lifetime big shiney train turning up ... ;)

i wanted too aswell, tested for an hour but i only lasted 10 minutes and 4 pages had been made in the old thread by then. doesn't work!

Well I suppose our intentions are good, but these things do not happen every day either do they?

Sunday's forecast will be the key.

I loved Kermit typing out his report. I am still laughing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Tzardine wrote: »

If I was you I would. Better safe then sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looks what's trending on Boards.ie... Neck and neck for thanks...

442669.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Kamili wrote: »

I sadly missed the thundersnow of November 2010. :(

It must be a truly amazing experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Forgive the newbie post but what are the chances of it not snowing at this stage? I live in quite an isolated location and really can’t stomach the thoughts of another snow like 09 or 10

That depends a lot on where you're located

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Looks what's trending on Boards.ie... Neck and neck for thanks...

442669.PNG

theres a reason the weather forum is the best :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kamili wrote: »

More likely from Wednesday onward particularly in eastern coastal counties. A lot more instability in the second half of the week.

Location = Wicklow Mountains!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This is what I'd love to see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Location = Wicklow Mountains!

Close to zero chance of not seeing snow

That’s what I feared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My in-laws are facing -20 this week based upon on the charts I've seen here
    Thankfully all their sheep are still in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

gozunda wrote: »
    I think it's more about the novelty of watching for and seeing a major weather event unfolding as Ireland rarely sees significant snow events.
    Maybe a bit more like train watching and waiting for a once in a lifetime big shiney train turning up ... ;)

Oh I totally appreciate the snow and weather chasing :pac:

Just hate commuting in it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

My in-laws are facing -20 this week based upon on the charts I've seen here
    Thankfully all their sheep are still in.

Where are they?
    Any temps for south county Dublin (Dun Laoghaire to be exact)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

sryanbruen wrote: »
    This is what I'd love to see. :)

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Oh the joys of having a work from home option!! :D

As a train driver I can never understand why we can’t do it aswell 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,591 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Level one now? It will be a level three for sure if any of these maps verify.

Please note, my policy during this no doubt hectic period will be to post only in the technical thread, I will be reading this one when I can, but as the other thread is likely to be adding pages at a more leisurely rate, people can find my posts easier there, and this thread won't get the additional volume of quoted MTC posts. Over there, I will ask people not to quote my posts, just comment or ask a specific question, but we can help keep the volume down by adopting this policy in general with some of the other posters who often get quoted. In particular, try to avoid quoting maps. One way to quote without volume is to say something like MTC today at 21:27 said ... and just pick out a few key words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

M.T just turned things up to 11 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

She said RED possibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Possible red warning say met eireann

Sunday evening forecasts should tell all I think.

But no harm getting a few provisions in just in case.

If the worst happens, will you have the powerbanks and kindles charged up? Will you have grub that does not need cooking if the electricity goes? Will you have a few bottles of water if the pipes freeze?

Things like that.

Prepping is good, all that stuff will be used up anyway in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

She said possibly Red people ...........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Met calling chance of red warning on 9 forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

Joanne predicting a possible red this week

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement