Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mariaf24 wrote: »
    Really? :( I'm thinking of going to the Munich one, was it very disappointing?

Anyone any comments? :)

Don't get me wrong - it's very nice! Just as I said though, it's 90% the same stuff on sale as Prague but a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

wow, i really really enjoyed the munich market and felts there was quite a bit to buy there (saying that, i've not been to prague) i have been to berlin markets and felt they were not great, i didn't buy much in the way of presents (like i did in munich)...
    saying that munich is generally more expensive than berlin, prices almost the same as dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

There are a number of different markets in Munich and one we stumbled upon which was way nicer than the others was the Medieval Market. It's way smaller but all the stall holders dress in costume and they have live animals, musical shows and loads of stuff for children. We've been to many Christmas markets and we found this one by far the most atmospheric.

Only problem is, I can't exactly remember the name of the square it's held on. It's not far from the main Marienplatz and is towards the Residenz Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I just rang my travel agent about the Christmas markets, as i find the lady there very helpful. She suggested Copenhagen. Anyone ever been or care to share any information?
    She said to have a think about it and get back to her (Prices were very reasonable also) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Hmm... I was in Copenhagen around that time of the year and did not spot any Christmas markets to be honest. Tivoli does open for a few days in the winter though - if you are in Copenhagen at the end of the year, make sure to visit it. Tivoli in winter is magical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Some of the less popular (touristy) cities in Germany can have great christmas markets. Dortmund as mentioned above is good (especially love the giant christmas tree) and Cologne is nice. Essen has a pretty good market even though the city itself is nothing spectacular. Went to Frankfurt a few years ago, found that excellent as well.

This year I'm going to Brussels and Bruges for the markets, hoping it's as good as germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Whats the best way to fly to Dortmund or nearby? Woudl love to go to the markets and maybe catch a football game at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    Whats the best way to fly to Dortmund or nearby? Woudl love to go to the markets and maybe catch a football game at the same time

Aer Lingus to Dusseldorf or I think Germanwings fly to Cologne. Trains in germany are very good and there's usually good airport links. Dusseldorf has direct trains to Dortmund every 20-30 mins and it only takes 45 mins to get there.

Qwerty27 wrote: »

The best option is Aer Lingus to Düsseldorf. Once at the airport, head for the SkyTrain. Before boarding it, buy a VRR ticket, zone D, from the machine. A single ticket is €10.90 and is valid for for four hours on all local trains in a huge surrounding region, including Dortmund.

The SkyTrain takes you to the airport railway station. From there, catch the next RE (Regionalexpress) or S-Bahn to Dortmund. Journey time is about one hour.

You can take the express ICE train but it will be a lot dearer and save you 15 minutes at most... I never bother.

Aye, two almost identical replies written at the same time.

"Great minds think alike," as you say so nicely in English... or "zwei Dumme, ein Gedanke," as we say not so nicely in German :).

• Advertisement

undo wrote: »
    Hmm... I was in Copenhagen around that time of the year and did not spot any Christmas markets to be honest. Tivoli does open for a few days in the winter though - if you are in Copenhagen at the end of the year, make sure to visit it. Tivoli in winter is magical.

I just got an email from her and it is infact Tivoli.

Looking to go to Krakow now.

Just realised i've changed my mind 3 times already on this tread :o Am particularly interested in Krakow as i would love to visit Auschwitz.
    Flights from Cork and Shannon are a joke btw :mad:

mariaf24 wrote: »
    i would love to visit Auschwitz.

That sounds a bit...wrong. Anyway, Auschwitz in winter will probably be far more depressing than it already is in the summer. If you really want to feel the horror of the place, it seems like the right time to go.

Make sure to visit the Wieliczka salt mine as well. Quite a contrast to a trip to Auschwitz, Wieliczka is just beautiful and amazing.

undo wrote: »
    That sounds a bit...wrong. Anyway, Auschwitz in winter will probably be far more depressing than it already is in the summer. If you really want to feel the horror of the place, it seems like the right time to go.

Make sure to visit the Wieliczka salt mine as well. Quite a contrast to a trip to Auschwitz, Wieliczka is just beautiful and amazing.

Excuse me? I have a Degree in history and have always wished to one day visit Auschwitz. As this trip will possibly be my fiances and i last trip for a long long time i thought i could perhaps go to Auschwitz while in Europe(The xmas markets is an engagement / christmas present from my fiance)
    I am sorry if i have worded it incorrectly and caused offence???

No worries, I am not offended at all. If anything, I might have caused someone to get offended as I thought it was somewhat amusing to point out the odd combination of "love to visit" and "Auschwitz".

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭butlerjustine

Hi I am going to Vietnam for 3 weeks in July. I am flying into Hanoi and out of Ho Chi Minh.

Can anyone reccomend somewhere to stay preferably in Hanoi as I would like somethng planned for when I get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

Another +1 for Cologne.
    There are actually several markets dotted around the city centre, including the main one at the Catherdral plaza/Domplatz. It's very easy to dart between all of them too, as a number of the city's tram lines run between them.

As noted, Frankfurt Hahn is in the middle of the countryside, but there is a fast and direct coach service to the main train station/Hauptbahnhof in Cologne.
    I've used it once before and, after an initial 30 minutes on local roads, it was a smooth trip up along the motorway (and this was on a Friday at rush-hour).
    The company that runs it is Bohr (http://omnibusse.bohr.de/en/uns.php), if you want to check it out in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has ever visited the Tallin Christmas Market in Estonia? I have read a good few threads on the markets and nobody has mentioned it yet. It looks lovely and you are almost guaranteed snow. Any info at all would be much appreciated.

El D.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

I'm looking to take my girlfriend to Germany before Christmas markets. I'm just wondering where people have been to and what their experiences were. Have already been to Frankfurt, Munich and Hamburg on previous years and was hoping to see somewhere new

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jazzrocket

I would recommend Tallinn in Estonia. The Christmas Market is cool but the city is ever nicer and feels very Christmassy in December- google it for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Vienna has a lovely Christmas Market and the Town Hall is done up like an Advent Calendar. The Market is in front of the Town Hall and quite big - magical at night. Additonally Vienna itself is beautiful, woth lots of lovely shops. If shopping gets too much, they have zillions of lovely coffee shops and lots of cakes - including the infamous Sachertorte (divine chocolate cake made to a secret recipe) at the Hotel Sacher. And if you fancy some culture, there are usually lots of things Musical, and the Schoebrunn Palace wher ethe Hapsburg lived. Also the famous Riding School of Vienna (if you are into Horses). I have been twice for the Xmas markets and loved it both times. http://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing

There are some Christmas markets in Northern France as well - Lille is especially popular (if deboating at Calais / Dunkerque with Car / Alternative is Eurostar) - I think there may be some over near Bolougne, and that area.

This website might give you some ideas for the future http://www.christmasmarkets.com/

Have lots of fun! (I much prefer the Christmas markets to actual Christmas!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

The Striezelmarkt in Dresden is very nice, it tends to get very full though.

It's one of the oldest Christmas markets in Germany.

Quedlinburg has a lovely one too, but it not as central as Berlin/Hamburg/Dresden/Munich etc... in terms of travel (and there's not really much else to do at that time of the year in Quedlinburg)

Berlin:

Loads of Christmas Markets here to choose from

I can recommend the Christmas markets in Berlin - Spandau

If you happen to choose Berlin there is a beautiful little Christmas market beside the town hall (Rote Rathaus) with an lovely ice rink around the Neptune fountain (very romantic, your girlfriend will love (more) you for it ;))

There's another good one beside the Opernpalais, and another lovely one at the Gendarmenmarkt plus countless others

(only another 26 days to go before they open, yipeee!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I'll second Vienna as a great place for Christmas markets. There's also much more stuff to do there when you get fed up of hot punch and mulled wine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I agree with Apanachi, Berlin is amazing at christmas.

The market near the town hall is really good and the atomsphere in the city is wonderful.

I've been to Berlin for the last 2 years at christmas and couldnt fault it at all. Wrap up warm though, was exceptionally cold when we were there last year. :rolleyes:

Its a quick, and nice, train ride to Salzberg from Munich. You could do both!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Naid23 wrote: »
    Wrap up warm though, was exceptionally cold when we were there last year. :rolleyes:

Forecasters are saying it'll be the same this year too, not that I'm too worried, the Glühwein will soon sort that out ;)

Here's a photo of the one at the Town Hall and the ice rink around the fountain:

179418.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I'm also considering going to a Christmas Market.

I was considering Nuremberg - has anyone been?

I've been recommended to go to Germany for my first year so I probably won't venture to Austria but people seem to think it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I am considering going to Bruges and Brussels christmas markets. Has anyone been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

In reply to the above two posts i've been to them.

Nuremburg was my first xmas market and honesly i was dissapointed. Yes, it is massive, but i found after walking the first 5 rows of stalls that rest of the rows were all exactly the same as the few (even down to how they were decorated. It looked like they were all owned / ran by the same people) I was also expecting a market where i would be able to buy nice crafty presents etc, but it was basically all xmas decorations and food. Then add in the crowds. I won't be going back. I've also been to markets in Vienna and Salzburg. In Vienna we were there in Nov and only the market at Rathplatz (?spelling) had opened - the rest were still being set up. The setting is amazing with the building all lit up. Lots of stalls too, though a mix of some reaaly nice ones and some that seemed almost carnival and junky. Walking around at night though was beautiful. Salzburg was great - loved it. Smaller market than Vienna but loads of great Xmas stuff to buy.

Brussels / brugges didn't seem to do xmas makets on the same scale. In Brussels there was a small market on the streets leading away fom the Grand Place. You would see the stalls in half an hour or so. However, unlike Nuremburg the stalls were all little crafty things to buy.

In Brugges, the market was around the main square with an ice ink set up in the middle. I don't think i bought anything there. From memory i would put it as a cross between Nuremburg and Brussls (some xmas stuff, some craft stuff). However if you haven't been to Brussels and Brugges before then i would absolutly go. Last year there was an amazing ice sculpture festive in Brugges in Dec. I think it is there every year, so thatis worth checking out as well. Also make a stop on Ghent. Beautiful, under rated town without the crowds of Brugges (although it won't be as bad in Dec). It is on the same train line as the Brugges train. Plus no one does Waffles like they do in Belguim...a hot waffle with choc sauce on a old day is enough of a reason for a tip to Belguim for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

Hi guys. I'm looking for recommendations on which christmas markets to go to in Germany as I've heard they provide the best christmas markets there.

So far, I've narrowed it down to Munich, Berlin or Frankfurt. Any other recommendations will be most welcome.

I need some suggestions and good budget hotels to stay in too. My budget is EUR 300 for hotel+ticket for 3 nights. Most likely from 20-24 Dec.

A good travel website will be great too !

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Berlin has about 10 different christmas markets all over the city and there great.

If you budget is 300e for flights and accomodation, you wouldnt be able to do Berlin. Once the christmas markets start in any where in germany the prices shoot up.

If you open to other places for markets, try Tallinn in Estonia. Magical city with great markets and its half the price of christmas markets in germany. Flights are cheap for december and hotels arw cheap- plus because its only a small city ya dnt need to spend a fortune on taxi's/transport.

Advertisement