Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is Phonsie for real?

O yeah. Poe's law writ large.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

when i first looked at the URL i thought it said waterfordwhispers.

You can tell where they get their inspiration from though, seems some people down there have the aul' religion real bad.

We stayed down there a few months ago, holy pictures in the hotel lobby and a hard to resist offer by the lift:

493261.jpg

493262.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You can tell where they get their inspiration from though, seems some people down there have the aul' religion real bad.

We stayed down there a few months ago, holy pictures in the hotel lobby and a hard to resist offer by the lift:

493261.jpg

493262.jpg

that sequeira guy gets around

https://ephesians511blog.com/2013/03/03/bro-johnson-sequeiras-word-faith-theology-and-prosperity-gospel/

Ye'd be tempted to turn up and see if he could cure the pain in your bollox.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Odhinn wrote: »
    Ye'd be tempted to turn up and see if he could cure the pain in your bollox.

Brave lad letting a priest anywhere near your bollox :pac:

• Advertisement

The good bishop has form on this issue -

Last year, Bishop Cullinan said that he is establishing a "delivery ministry" of exorcists to deal with evil spirits and also warned people against the use of Reiki and new age healing because they could be channeling "the wrong spirit".

Last year, Bishop Cullinan revealed that he was in the process of establishing a "delivery ministry" of exorcists in his diocese, in response to several requests and reports he said he had received from people about "what they believe to be evil forces".
    He also warned people against getting involved in Reiki or new age healing, "because if you're opening yourself up to a spirit and someone is channeling a spirit, they could be channeling the wrong spirit".
    The bishop said last year that the brother of a Reiki master had told him that the master had seen "a vision of Satan" while working on somebody and was "scared out of his wits, dropped the Reiki and went back to the church".
    He said that he had received nine requests in the last few years from people who wanted the services of an exorcist.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1018/1084312-yoga-bishop-school/

'my invisible world is better than your invisible world', although at least the yoga thing has exercise involved.

There's a good t-shirt in the slogan "channeling the wrong spirit"

Steve Jobs saying "You're praying it wrong" perhaps?

Life ain't always empty.

Steve Jobs saying "You're praying it wrong" perhaps?

Or just the "channelling" quote with a bit of 80's black metal imagery. Bit of nostalgia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Odhinn wrote: »
    The good bishop has form on this issue -

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1018/1084312-yoga-bishop-school/

'my invisible world is better than your invisible world', although at least the yoga thing has exercise involved.

There's a good t-shirt in the slogan "channeling the wrong spirit"
    is there any form of christian based (christian adopted) mindful movement (exercise)?

is there any form of christian based (christian adopted) mindful movement (exercise)?

Yeah the Rosary :) Catholic pilates

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Yeah the Rosary :) Catholic pilates

Catholic boxercise aka punches pilates :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ye gods, those curtains. And that chaise-longue. It's like we're back in 1973 again. Hope they had an avocado toilet suite to match the rest of the decor.

More craziness in the southeast.

Parents complain over priest's plans to pay 'exorcism' visits

The diocese of Ferns has received a number of complaints from parents of first Holy Communion children after a priest said that he will be visiting homes "for rosaries and exorcisms".

The priest, Fr Michael Doyle, is parish priest of Poulfur-Templetown in Co Wexford and made his comments at mass on Sunday.

He has told parents from Scoil Mhaodhoig Poulfur that he expects them to attend Sunday mass in the run-up to first communion next May and, according to a spokesman for the diocese of Ferns, said he will be "visiting their houses for rosaries and exorcisms".

The matter has been referred to the diocese's vicar-general Fr Joe McGrath, who is effectively the "second-in-command" behind Bishop Denis Brennan in Ferns.

The diocesan spokesman told RTNews that "if we have to rectify or clarify anything, we will do so".

He added that "we live in an age of invitation" when it comes to people visiting other people's homes.

Domini Codd, the principal of the national school, which has a total enrolment of over 170 children, said they have received "no complaints" about the matter and said that preparations for first communion are continuing as normal.

However, the diocese confirmed that "there were a number of parents complaining" about the matter.

Attempts to contact Fr Michael Doyle proved unsuccessful.

Life ain't always empty.

[...] behind Bishop Denis Brennan [...]
    493500.jpg

Bishop Brennan - how did I not spot that!!!

Life ain't always empty.

Brexit hits the church's JIT supply lines:

https://extra.ie/2019/10/27/news/brexit/brexit-shortages-church-bread-supplier

Why not have Jesus deliver them by foot directly from Europe? No need for a landbridge at all.
    Extra.ie wrote:
    Double the amount of communion wafers and altar wine have been ordered in advance of Brexit by one of the country’s biggest ecclesiastical suppliers. Tens of millions of individual altar breads are needed by the Irish market each year and are largely imported from Europe, but are predominantly transported via the UK landbridge.

While a number of religious orders also produce millions of altar breads each year, their produce is not enough to cope with demand, as it is estimated that more than six million altar breads are needed for those attending mass in Dublin alone each year.

Speaking with the Irish Mail on Sunday, Desmond Wisley of the ecclesiastical firm of the same name, said that his firm ordered millions of extra supplies of altar bread in advance of the last Brexit deadline of October 31. Whatever challenges Brexit may pose, Mr Wisley is seeking to ensure that Mass, at least, will be Brexit-proof.

‘Every month we get approximately 1.5 million breads in stock. We have doubled the order to three million in case of any delays in transit through the UK.’

In addition, while they usually order two pallets of altar wine a month, they have increased this to four pallets, or 2,280 bottles of wine, which has 15% alcohol content.

Couldn't they just break them in half or something if they get stuck? Would that affect the "dose" ?

Also, if priests are having to celebrate several masses on a Sunday and drive between them, that 15% wine might not look too clever...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Extra.ie wrote: »
    it is estimated that more than six million altar breads are needed for those attending mass in Dublin alone each year.
    Census gives 930K Catholics in Dublin, so that's 6.5 breads per person per year.

Mustn't be very hungry...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

wench wrote: »
    Census gives 930K Catholics in Dublin, so that's 6.5 breads per person per year.

Mustn't be very hungry...

6 million a year - given the size of them, I presume they come in packets of 50 or 100. So either 1100 or 2200 packs a week. I'd say more packets of cigarettes are brought into Dublin every day than that. I think Irish mass goers will survive, if smokers do.

volchitsa wrote: »
    6 million a year - given the size of them, I presume they come in packets of 50 or 100. So either 1100 or 2200 packs a week. I'd say more packets of cigarettes are brought into Dublin every day than that. I think Irish mass goers will survive, if smokers do.

Could be a business opportunity for old mister Brennan there. The baker that is, not the bishop ;)

• Advertisement

Today's hosts, today.

Life ain't always empty.

Today's hosts, today.
    And if Brexit happens, it'll be "Yesterday's hosts - tomorrah".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Barbaric...but you can't help but see the irony

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50258727
    An Indonesian man - who worked for an organisation that helped draft strict adultery laws - has been publicly whipped after being caught having an affair with a married woman.

If he thought it was good enough for others, it's good enough for him...

Life ain't always empty.

robindch wrote: »
    And if Brexit happens, it'll be "Yesterday's hosts - tomorrah".

I'm sure I heard years ago that it was permissible to break the host into pieces in cases of shortage, and each retained a full dose of the magic™ but can't find a reference for that.

I was wondering does the magic™ go off after a while, couldn't find an answer to that either, but I did find a host of frequently asked questions here:

https://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/index.htm

Some fun 'facts':

DISPOSING OF CONSECRATED HOSTS
    Q. 1. What is the proper way of disposing of a Consecrated Host?

A. 1. The proper way of disposing of a Consecrated Host is to:

A. In a situation where a communicant drops the Sacred Host on the floor in the Church when receiving the Sacrament of Holy Communion, he should pick it up and consume it immediately.

B. In the case where a priest or extra-ordinatry Eucharistic minister served the Sacred Host to an elderly in a Senior's Home and the senior spit it out, being unable to swallow it, the Sacred Host should be collected by the priest, placed in the purificator (Altar linen) and returned to the parish for the priest to dispose of it.

C. To dispose of a Sacred Host, the priest or eucharistic minister must dissolve it in water to the point where the Host no longer has the appearance of bread. This may require that the Host be broken up in pieces prior to placing it in water.

D. The next step is to pour the liquid down the sacristies sacrarium (a special sink with a drain going directly into the ground, not the sewer). When such is not available, the liquid should be poured on the ground in a location that would not be walked over, such as behind a flower bed that is along a wall, at the foot of a statue or similar places.

Ya couldn't have Jesus going down the jacks. Well, not undigested, anyway.
    For a second there I thought the priest was going to have to eat some old geezer's spat out host, yuk.

THE REASONS FOR HAVING AN ABORTION
    Have you ever seen these numbers?

321,200,000: population in the US in 2015.

17,810,000: population age 14 and under.

303,390,000: population age 15 and over.

151,695,000: population of the female gender.

58,000,000: abortions performed in the US from 1973-2011.

Therefore 38% of females in the US have had an abortion.

That means 1 of very 3 women you know is a murderer.

Does that include your sister(s), your mother and your grandmother? Do you come from a family of murderers?

This is the alleged compassionate gender that is trying to take over the Catholic Church. How many local parishes have been taken over by females, having chased away every male volunteer? These are the same females who want women priest and more female involvement in the Vatican. Do we dare to let them advance their agenda? Surely, it will mean the destruction of the Catholic Church.

These guys might just be a liiiiiitle on the extreme side. They're really not good at maths, either.

Life ain't always empty.

Ya couldn't have Jesus going down the jacks. Well, not undigested, anyway.
    Strange - I remember wondering the same thing when I was eight years old or whatever and doing the first communion thing with Bishop Casey in Kerry. Didn't have the courage to ask him and I'm kind of sorry I didn't now.

Indonesia - wherein a man who drafted punitive laws on adultery is prosecuted under punitive laws on adultery.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50258727

Oops https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111655337&postcount=9714 :)

Meanwhile, here's another CatholicDoors.com fact bomb I forgot to add:

GLUTEN FREE HOSTS FOR COMMUNION
    Some people lining up for a gluten-free communion may not have celiac. They may be simply following the latest trend among dieters.

I also found this:

Satanist Sells Consecrated Hosts On Major Website For Desecration
    On May 7, Catholics on social media were alerted to an Etsy listing offering what the vendor claimed were “Real Catholic Hosts, consecrated by a priest.”

The seller, calling himself “AL” and his business “Pentagora,” stated that the purpose of the nine hosts was “to abuse for classic black fairs or black magic purposes.”

The hosts, he said, were made and consecrated in Germany, and the listing indicated that they would be shipped from Germany.

LifeSiteNews contacted the vendor for evidence that the hosts were indeed consecrated.

“Maybe you don’t know, but to celebrate an authentic black mass, you have to be an ordained Catholic priest,” AL responded.

“There are a handful of priests in Germany who work in the satanic underground. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to tell you more,” he continued.

“Germany has always been a country of the occult. You don’t have to believe me. The right people recognize me, that’s all that matters.”

Beverly Stevens, the editor of Regina Magazine, said the sale of the Blessed Sacrament in Germany didn’t surprise her.

Stevens, who lived in Germany for seven years, told LifeSiteNews over social media that in that country “Catholic artifacts and sacred objects are routinely treated with the utmost disdain by the hierarchy and the elites they cater to ― so pretty predictable that this would spread to regular people.”

Stevens said she had seen sacred relics for sale in a Wiesbaden flea market.

“The seller thought it amusing that we Americans were horrified,” she recalled. “So the sale of consecrated hosts online for satanic worship purposes is completely predictable. I doubt whether Cardinal (Reinhard) Marx would bat an eye.”

(Emphasis theirs)

That quote is actually a quote within the article, it's from Life Site News and it's the sanest part of the article - that's not a good sign...

Life ain't always empty.

Guru gone wrong documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

^^ Jaysus!!

Must give it a watch ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement