Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin 15 Restaurant Recommendation thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

12 lock strongly not recommended. i booked a family meeting, got terrible service and different table like agreed. staff wasn't interested serving us. Only plus - food was Ok.

How long ago was this

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ladystardust

12 lock strongly not recommended. i booked a family meeting, got terrible service and different table like agreed. staff wasn't interested serving us. Only plus - food was Ok.

I used to love the 12th lock, but the service and quality of food has been declining for years. It was at it's best when you could go and sit in the beer garden on a sunday and get French toast/ porridge or a full irish for the hangover. Service was always quick and with a smile. I went a few months ago for the last time and was served overpriced, undercooked food after an hour. No one was interested. Beautiful location, should be a gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭raheny red

Yeah I'd have to agree with the above on the 12th Lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

raheny red wrote: »
    Yeah I'd have to agree with the above on the 12th Lock.

Same here. May have even posted previously in this thread about it. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fiddle Castro

Same here. May have even posted previously in this thread about it. Terrible.

I've got to agree as well, used to enjoy going to the 12th lock before the new owners came along. The place really went downhill.

I've got to agree as well, used to enjoy going to the 12th lock before the new owners came along. The place really went downhill.

I really miss it as a casual dining and pub. Loved the atmosphere. Was always gorgeous on a sunny day.

Looks like Rudys are setting up a BBQ for tonight/weekend. Get down quick if you want a bite and a gargle. Can't see that lasting long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Looks like Rudys are setting up a BBQ for tonight/weekend. Get down quick if you want a bite and a gargle. Can't see that lasting long.

Not legal yet? Heard people were sitting outside drinking wine today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Delhi Darbar in Clones is a great little restaurant. Nothing fancy but really nice Indian food!

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Not legal yet? Heard people were sitting outside drinking wine today.

Seen the owner having a glass but that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Don’t you just love the internet!

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Don’t you just love the internet!

Huh? What do you mean?

Huh? What do you mean?

I could ask exactly the same of you. Here’s a little reminder what you posted.

I could ask exactly the same of you. Here’s a little reminder what you posted.

Awh Jaysis Christ Pat. "Setting up". Passive aggression on internet forums, ya love to see it.

Popped onto their instagram, they're doing it Friday to Monday. I only got a glimpse of their prices outside €7.50 for ribs...burgers...€3.50 for beer. I only took note of the important stuff, a few other items on the menu too.

Awh Jaysis Christ Pat. "Setting up". Passive aggression on internet forums, ya love to see it.

Popped onto their instagram, they're doing it Friday to Monday. I only got a glimpse of their prices outside €7.50 for ribs...burgers...€3.50 for beer. I only took note of the important stuff, a few other items on the menu too.
    At least this make some sense, previously it was like you were talking in a code.

• Advertisement

Delhi Darbar in Clones is a great little restaurant. Nothing fancy but really nice Indian food!

Been on the lookout for a new Indian take away in D15 so we gave this a go last night. Punjabi chicken chilli masala and lamb saag. Both fantastic, the saag especially. Onion bahjis were really good too. The meat samosas were quite poor though. The garlic and peshwari naams were excellent. This will be our go to from now on. Nice wan.

While I agree that nothing beats Shimla (when it first opened). We are big fans of zouq in coolmine industrial estate.

While I agree that nothing beats Shimla (when it first opened). We are big fans of zouq in coolmine industrial estate.

I do love Zouq and they are very reasonably priced. Have been ordering a bit more from Masala lately though as it feels like more of a treat. Their Madras is unlike any I've had anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Caranica wrote: »
    I do love Zouq and they are very reasonably priced. Have been ordering a bit more from Masala lately though as it feels like more of a treat. Their Madras is unlike any I've had anywhere in the world.

My wife’s madras is unlike anything anyone else has had in the world
    It’s not good though !

My wife’s madras is unlike anything anyone else has had in the world
    It’s not good though !

Masala's Madras is creamy yet still has all the flavours of a Madras. It's amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Was driving past yesterday (BH Monday) afternoon, sure enough they were set up. Burgers, ribs, wings and hot dogs, chips and beers all for takeaway.

They had a few tables set up but off their premises, i.e. just on the path, so I guess it's a 'sit at your own risk' thing.

Anyhoo, stopped off, got a very decent burger.

Was driving past yesterday (BH Monday) afternoon, sure enough they were set up. Burgers, ribs, wings and hot dogs, chips and beers all for takeaway.

They had a few tables set up but off their premises, i.e. just on the path, so I guess it's a 'sit at your own risk' thing.

Anyhoo, stopped off, got a very decent burger.

Happy days, I presumed it was just gonna be Friday evening. They are opened again today because of the weather. Back 1pm Friday so will pop down then. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerlad

The new BurgerStore in Ongar must think they’re doing serious business. Too busy to make a kinder bueno milkshake earlier with one other person in queue. Don’t seem overly concerned with custom given they’re a new business and Romayos set to open the other end of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would think Romayos will put them under pressure when they open do not see room for both unfortunetly especially with the poor survival rate of chippers in Ongar .

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Gerlad wrote: »
    The new BurgerStore in Ongar must think they’re doing serious business. Too busy to make a kinder bueno milkshake earlier with one other person in queue. Don’t seem overly concerned with custom given they’re a new business and Romayos set to open the other end of the village.
    What do you mean too busy? Did they say no we're not making you a milkshake?

Would think Romayos will put them under pressure when they open do not see room for both unfortunetly especially with the poor survival rate of chippers in Ongar .

Romayo’s is very inconsistent, with the chips been average at the best of times, at least that’s based on my experience of 3 of their shops around D15 over a 20 year period.

Romayo’s is very inconsistent, with the chips been average at the best of times, at least that’s based on my experience of 3 of their shops around D15 over a 20 year period.

They are the scabbiest chipper I've ever encountered when it comes to portion size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It's just with a wider choice and more than likely a bit cheaper even if the food is average at best it will give it an advantage over a place more expensive even if the burgers are better quality .Time will tell hopefully both can trade and give people the choice .

What do you mean too busy? Did they say no we're not making you a milkshake?

Yes. They’re seemed to be two ‘front of house’ there too. Maybe they had a lot of deliveries - just thought it was quite dismissive and it was my first time there.

Romayos know how to pump out the food but portion/quality can be hit and miss.
    San Marino in Laurel Lodge is the best chipper in D15.

They are the scabbiest chipper I've ever encountered when it comes to portion size.

I have certainly seen a variance in the quality of chips but portion is always huge

• Advertisement

I have certainly seen a variance in the quality of chips but portion is always huge

We have different understanding of the word huge so. Their portion is very small, tiny in some cases, in comparison to other chippers in D15 and elsewhere.

We have different understanding of the word huge so. Their portion is very small, tiny in some cases, in comparison to other chippers in D15 and elsewhere.

We don't eat there very often , but when we do I always get one chips between two people and its plenty , wouldn't eat any more and I have a very healthy appetite.

Yes. They’re seemed to be two ‘front of house’ there too. Maybe they had a lot of deliveries - just thought it was quite dismissive and it was my first time there.

Romayos know how to pump out the food but portion/quality can be hit and miss.
    San Marino in Laurel Lodge is the best chipper in D15.

I agree with you about San Marino being the best chipper in D15. Wouldn't order from anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Polar101

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I agree with you about San Marino being the best chipper in D15. Wouldn't order from anywhere else.

It was a sad day when our office moved out of their delivery range, and probably a big hit to their business as well.

In search of a decent sandwich. User to live in town and miss the auld artisan sambo on lovely bread with some mad and overpriced topping.... chopped and o'Brien's not cutting it.

Gave burgerstore a second chance. Glad to be proven wrong. Got the double burger with chips and bueno milk shake.
    Mother of god. Unreal eating. Burger pattys were delish and great bacon and sauce. Loads of decent chips and really good creamy shake. Think it was €15 all in but it’s good quality grub and would clean up in town. Hope it gets the custom in Ongar.

In search of a decent sandwich. User to live in town and miss the auld artisan sambo on lovely bread with some mad and overpriced topping.... chopped and o'Brien's not cutting it.

Poulet bonne femme in avoca in dunboyne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Gave burgerstore a second chance. Glad to be proven wrong. Got the double burger with chips and bueno milk shake.
    Mother of god. Unreal eating. Burger pattys were delish and great bacon and sauce. Loads of decent chips and really good creamy shake. Think it was €15 all in but it’s good quality grub and would clean up in town. Hope it gets the custom in Ongar.

Ok, you've sold me. I'm going to try it this week!😊

On a separate note, I was driving through Castleknock yesterday and noticed the signs for Castello de Brun Italian restaurant were removed. Have they closed down completely or just renovating during the lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

ongarboy wrote: »
    Ok, you've sold me. I'm going to try it this week!��

On a separate note, I was driving through Castleknock yesterday and noticed the signs for Castello de Brun Italian restaurant were removed. Have they closed down completely or just renovating during the lockdown?
    They were doing significant decorating work inside a couple weeks back so I assumed they were smartening up to open. Lots of places took the opportunity of the initial shutdown to repaint, etc.
    From my view, a rebrand and new menu for the CB location could only be a good thing. At my last visit (probably last year) I felt the standards at the place had gone way down. Now I'm hopeful they'll be an option again.

• Advertisement

Been on the lookout for a new Indian take away in D15 so we gave this a go last night. Punjabi chicken chilli masala and lamb saag. Both fantastic, the saag especially. Onion bahjis were really good too. The meat samosas were quite poor though. The garlic and peshwari naams were excellent. This will be our go to from now on. Nice wan.

Just to give a little bump for local restaurants. Gave Delhi Darbar takeaway another go last night. Their grub is seriously impressive. For a takeaway, it's pretty ridiculous how fresh the food is. Their lamb is one of the best you'll get in Dublin. Has anyone tried their kebabs?

What's their restaurant like for sitting in? Must give that a go some night.

Just to give a little bump for local restaurants. Gave Delhi Darbar takeaway another go last night. Their grub is seriously impressive. For a takeaway, it's pretty ridiculous how fresh the food is. Their lamb is one of the best you'll get in Dublin. Has anyone tried their kebabs?

As a sit-in, it’s the exact same. It’s not fancy, (truth be told it could probably do with a facelift) but it’s comfortable and it all kind of adds to the charm. In DD, the food does the talking.

We’ve been back 3 times for takeaway since and we’re dying to go back for a night out.

Never had the kebab. Probably nice but I just don’t want to take any chances. They’re regular food is just too good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Agreed with mr_edge_to_you - I've long found with Indian restaurants that the less pretentious it looks, the better the food is going to be and DD is in that category. It's between them and spice of india on the clonsilla road at the moment for my go-to.

Covid has probably nixed it but they used to also do an interesting all you can eat buffet on Sundays.

Went away from DD to try others for a good while but there’s nothing to touch it really. Great Indian.

Tried to order food from them via just eat on Tuesday and they were already closed at around 10.30 which is a pity.

I know it may be a little far from D15, but the Cinnamon Garden in Ashbourne is an amazing Indian restaurant. It’s more “fine dining” but I reckon it’s the best restaurant in Meath. If you like Indian food you will love it. The food and presentation is outstanding.

• Advertisement

Happy days, will defo try pop into DD soon so. Sounds like a similar set up to the Indian Curry Club in Kilbarrack. No frills, just good food.

Tried Zouq a couple of months ago. Found it very bad. The main dish was just full of oil. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Another recommendation for an Indian takeaway; Tadka House in Coolmine Industrial Estate. We've been using them since they opened nearly once every week and have yet to get a disappointing meal from it. It is more expensive than an average Indian takeaway but I find the ingredients are higher quality than average, and they are consistently well prepared. The lamb is especially tender and moist, and I regularly cycle through all their lamb dishes. It's a bit hard to find at first as it's hidden to the side of a few other units. If you follow the general directions on Google and then it's in behind the building with Dave McCann Tyres and Syrian House Cuisine on Porters Avenue.

I know it may be a little far from D15, but the Cinnamon Garden in Ashbourne is an amazing Indian restaurant. It’s more “fine dining” but I reckon it’s the best restaurant in Meath. If you like Indian food you will love it. The food and presentation is outstanding.

Have not eaten in either but if your going to make the trek to Ashbourne surely it will be for Gaylord Spices the greatest named Indian in Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I posted this on the Dublin city thread earlier:

The Leinster v Ulster Semi Final is on at 7:35 tonight.

Any recommendations on where you can go, have a nice meal and also a place that has plenty of screens showing the game?

Would be useful going forward with the way things are, no wet pubs are open.
    Especially as the Premiership (soccer) and other sports starting back soon, hopefully the inter county GAA championship also.

I tried town in leixlip and paddocks but both booked out at that time tonight on ResDiary.

Location is Dublin 15/7, would go to Dublin west, north, and D1/D2. Driving / taxi within 20 mins.

Thanks in advance! :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Have not eaten in either but if your going to make the trek to Ashbourne surely it will be for Gaylord Spices the greatest named Indian in Ireland

I have heard Cinnamon is the best? Haven’t visited either, a friend was in Cinnamon two weeks ago and thought it was out of this world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement