Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Restaurant Recommendation thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

raheny red wrote: »
    Just to give a little bump for local restaurants. Gave Delhi Darbar takeaway another go last night. Their grub is seriously impressive. For a takeaway, it's pretty ridiculous how fresh the food is. Their lamb is one of the best you'll get in Dublin. Has anyone tried their kebabs?

What's their restaurant like for sitting in? Must give that a go some night.

As a sit-in, it’s the exact same. It’s not fancy, (truth be told it could probably do with a facelift) but it’s comfortable and it all kind of adds to the charm. In DD, the food does the talking.

We’ve been back 3 times for takeaway since and we’re dying to go back for a night out.

Never had the kebab. Probably nice but I just don’t want to take any chances. They’re regular food is just too good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

raheny red wrote: »
    Just to give a little bump for local restaurants. Gave Delhi Darbar takeaway another go last night. Their grub is seriously impressive. For a takeaway, it's pretty ridiculous how fresh the food is. Their lamb is one of the best you'll get in Dublin. Has anyone tried their kebabs?

What's their restaurant like for sitting in? Must give that a go some night.

Agreed with mr_edge_to_you - I've long found with Indian restaurants that the less pretentious it looks, the better the food is going to be and DD is in that category. It's between them and spice of india on the clonsilla road at the moment for my go-to.

Covid has probably nixed it but they used to also do an interesting all you can eat buffet on Sundays.

Went away from DD to try others for a good while but there’s nothing to touch it really. Great Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Tried to order food from them via just eat on Tuesday and they were already closed at around 10.30 which is a pity.

I know it may be a little far from D15, but the Cinnamon Garden in Ashbourne is an amazing Indian restaurant. It’s more “fine dining” but I reckon it’s the best restaurant in Meath. If you like Indian food you will love it. The food and presentation is outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

Happy days, will defo try pop into DD soon so. Sounds like a similar set up to the Indian Curry Club in Kilbarrack. No frills, just good food.

Tried Zouq a couple of months ago. Found it very bad. The main dish was just full of oil. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Another recommendation for an Indian takeaway; Tadka House in Coolmine Industrial Estate. We've been using them since they opened nearly once every week and have yet to get a disappointing meal from it. It is more expensive than an average Indian takeaway but I find the ingredients are higher quality than average, and they are consistently well prepared. The lamb is especially tender and moist, and I regularly cycle through all their lamb dishes. It's a bit hard to find at first as it's hidden to the side of a few other units. If you follow the general directions on Google and then it's in behind the building with Dave McCann Tyres and Syrian House Cuisine on Porters Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I know it may be a little far from D15, but the Cinnamon Garden in Ashbourne is an amazing Indian restaurant. It’s more “fine dining” but I reckon it’s the best restaurant in Meath. If you like Indian food you will love it. The food and presentation is outstanding.

Have not eaten in either but if your going to make the trek to Ashbourne surely it will be for Gaylord Spices the greatest named Indian in Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I posted this on the Dublin city thread earlier:

The Leinster v Ulster Semi Final is on at 7:35 tonight.

Any recommendations on where you can go, have a nice meal and also a place that has plenty of screens showing the game?

Would be useful going forward with the way things are, no wet pubs are open.
    Especially as the Premiership (soccer) and other sports starting back soon, hopefully the inter county GAA championship also.

I tried town in leixlip and paddocks but both booked out at that time tonight on ResDiary.

Location is Dublin 15/7, would go to Dublin west, north, and D1/D2. Driving / taxi within 20 mins.

Thanks in advance! :D:D

Have not eaten in either but if your going to make the trek to Ashbourne surely it will be for Gaylord Spices the greatest named Indian in Ireland

I have heard Cinnamon is the best? Haven’t visited either, a friend was in Cinnamon two weeks ago and thought it was out of this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gerlad

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I posted this on the Dublin city thread earlier:

The Leinster v Ulster Semi Final is on at 7:35 tonight.

Any recommendations on where you can go, have a nice meal and also a place that has plenty of screens showing the game?

Would be useful going forward with the way things are, no wet pubs are open.
    Especially as the Premiership (soccer) and other sports starting back soon, hopefully the inter county GAA championship also.

I tried town in leixlip and paddocks but both booked out at that time tonight on ResDiary.

Location is Dublin 15/7, would go to Dublin west, north, and D1/D2. Driving / taxi within 20 mins.

Thanks in advance! :D:D

The Black Wolf in Blanch village have been advertising it. I’d say you have to book though. Plenty of tvs. Give them a ring and they’ll let you know availability.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I have heard Cinnamon is the best? Haven’t visited either, a friend was in Cinnamon two weeks ago and thought it was out of this world.

Having heard a friend rave about the place for years, I finally visited it last night. It was one of the best culinary experiences I've had in years - food, presentation and hospitality all unique and impeccable.

Presentation-wise it's not like any Indian food I've been served before. It seems to veer towards fine dining, and quite successfully pulls it off.

The service was attentive and pleasant. The manager showed us to our table and advised us on certain dishes before taking our order. He was informative and had a sense of humour which was up our street, without him actually trying to be a comedian or a teacher. All of the staff we interacted with were very pleasant and on-point.

The range of tastes were wide and sublime. I like spices and was treated to several different levels of heat. At no point though did the heat overpower the tastes and freshness of the dishes. This is important for me. I like heat, but not just for the sake of it or for extreme-style eating. The chefs here strike the balance of taste vs heat perfectly.

It's like nothing I've experienced in an Indian takeaway or restaurant before. As well as fine dining, the fare here sways towards fusion. From a crispy shredded lamb in sweet chili sauce starter, to a deep fried cauliflower in a sweet and sour tomato sauce side dish, there were elements here which reminded me heavily of Chinese food in all of the right ways. They even serve duck which I don't usually see on Indian menus, and it was some of the best I've had.

Here are a few of the dishes we vanished...

39UiE6F.jpg?1

Duck Tikka (starter) - Barbary Duck charred with that unmistakable Tandoori taste, but surrounded by a sweet sauce and pickled veg.

Q4r32jq.jpg?1

Trio of Chicken (starter) - I didn't have this myself, but it went down well with my partner.

5XnIl06.jpg?1

zwlqX0e.jpg?1

Samundari Ratan Moilee (fish main) - My own choice for main course. The cooking and tastes of the various fish elements was up there with Tjorhusid fish restaurant in northwest Iceland, regarded as the best in that country. Not a spicy dish in itself, but there was a potent curry sauce and sliced, fresh green chilies on the side. They may be haunting me today :o

w8qHJvv.jpg?1

khvBAYS.jpg?1

Dakshini Tawa Prawns (fish main) - Prawns were in the half shell and didn't appear to be a task to extract meat from, with a creamy tomato and coconut sauce and a bed of spiced mash. Not my dish but I tasted it and it was another perfect plate of food.

This particular visit to Cinnamon Garden was a pricey outing but we had expected that. It was completely worth it for the experience we had in return. There are early bird menus and ways to make this easier on the finances. We may do that in future, but last night was a special(ish) occasion.

gwPluDB.jpg?2

We'll be back soon. This place has very likely ruined every other Indian restaurant for me. Never mind 'Indian', it's one of the finest restaurants in the region.

Its not really fair to compare Cinnamon Garden to a regular Indian but delighted to see it lived up to its reputation.

Regardless of type of cuisine, its a top class restaurant.

Went away from DD to try others for a good while but there’s nothing to touch it really. Great Indian.

Have your tried Hub Himalayan at Hanlon's corner? unbelievable nepalese takeaway.

Vagya isn't bad in roselawn either. Okra green in Cknock.

Excited to try cinnamon garden in ashbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Visited the 12th Lock last night, and having read through some of the comments here, I didn’t hold out much hope.
    Having reserved our table by email the previous night and received back a confirmation earlier in the day we headed down that evening.
    We were greeted at the Reception by a very hospitable member of staff, who checked our reservations and explained the Covid Protocols to us. He then brought us to our table and left us with the menus and asked if we would like drinks from the bar, which we did.
    Another member of staff arrived shortly and took our drinks order. We settled in and read through the the menu, which had a nice selection of dishes. Our drinks arrived back from the bar very soon after ordering.
    Our Waiter returned to the table to take our food order, one of our group asked if it was possible to have a starter as a main course and was told that wouldn’t be a problem. We ordered Fish and Chips, Prawns Pil-Pil (as a main) and Thai Chicken Green Curry.
    The food arrived after a nice interval and it looked great and most importantly it tasted great. The portion sizes were very good and I would go as far as saying the chunky chips were amongst the nicest I have ever eaten, my fish was also cooked to perfection.
    The Prawns Pil-Pil, was a great success and had the right level of Chilli. The Thai Curry, met and exceeded expectations.
    Overall we had a wonderful meal and great service from various members of staff who came to our table, definitely on the list for a follow up visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That honestly reads like a paid review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

I was in the 12th lock on friday to catch up with a friend, its pretty accurate as to how we were treated. Service and food top notch and well organised.

Same unfortunately cant be said for the black wolf, we were turned away as we had no booking. We had rung 45 minutes before heading down to check and were told walk ins are fine when on showing the phone call was met with "no walk-ins tonight". This is the same pub that is all over facebook asking for local support :confused:

Its their choice and we did not argue the point as it felt pointless but still disappointing all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Have you a reason to disagree with the review ? Have you been there lately ?

mattser wrote: »
    Have you a reason to disagree with the review ? Have you been there lately ?

I haven't been lately and won't be going again based on my part experience in there.

I was in the 12th lock on friday to catch up with a friend, its pretty accurate as to how we were treated. Service and food top notch and well organised.

Same unfortunately cant be said for the black wolf, we were turned away as we had no booking. We had rung 45 minutes before heading down to check and were told walk ins are fine when on showing the phone call was met with "no walk-ins tonight". This is the same pub that is all over facebook asking for local support :confused:

Its their choice and we did not argue the point as it felt pointless but still disappointing all the same.

Yes, I've heard very mixed reviews about TBW since it reopened.

• Advertisement

I was coming on to ask about them as I wanted to book a meal and they have a better beer range than most but that's enough for me anyway, I'll go elsewhere. I remember there were big issues with their door staff when they first opened and it sounds like they haven't remedied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Oh the cynicism is rife on the D15 forum :D
    We paid for our own meal and enjoyed it.

I was coming on to ask about them as I wanted to book a meal and they have a better beer range than most but that's enough for me anyway, I'll go elsewhere. I remember there were big issues with their door staff when they first opened and it sounds like they haven't remedied it.

Unfortunately it was not even a bouncer it was the bar manager, possibly a disconnect between the staff we spoke to earlier could be the cause. But 2 lads turning up sober to eat and watch the rugby we got the feeling he made a snap call on it and dug his heels in.

Its a pity as they have lost 2 customers, had been bringing the kids and wife for sunday lunches before covid but plenty of options around for that.

Unfortunately it was not even a bouncer it was the bar manager, possibly a disconnect between the staff we spoke to earlier could be the cause. But 2 lads turning up sober to eat and watch the rugby we got the feeling he made a snap call on it and dug his heels in.

Its a pity as they have lost 2 customers, had been bringing the kids and wife for sunday lunches before covid but plenty of options around for that.

They've lost a potential one from reading that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Maybe in 45 mins too many people had walked in and they could allow no more and keep covid regulations and the places for those who booked .

That seems an innocent enough mistake , and I would rather too strict than not strict enough regards covid

I like the place for a pint not mad about it for food so haven't been since lock down but pre lockdown I had it streets ahead of 12th lock

Maybe in 45 mins too many people had walked in and they could allow no more and keep covid regulations and the places for those who booked .

That seems an innocent enough mistake , and I would rather too strict than not strict enough regards covid

I like the place for a pint not mad about it for food so haven't been since lock down but pre lockdown I had it streets ahead of 12th lock

i couldnt say if thats true or not i suppose but between 6:30 and 7:15 its hard to imagine a busload rocked up.

He could have said he could fit us in later when a spot opened up or even acknowledged that the phone call took place and a mistake was made.

Either way it was a poor reflection on the pub for us that could have been very easily avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

What's the sit in @ Spice of India, Clonsilla, like these days? Might pop in pre/post pints in the Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We had the same experience on a Saturday night recently. Walked in around 6.15pm, no booking. Told we could sit at the bar but needed to be gone by 7 and they couldn't guarantee we'd get food by 7. Obviously didn't stay and won't be rushing back.

Friend was there during the week and was really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glossy1

Hi does The Black Wolf do Sunday cavray?

Or any recommendations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just going to give two thumbs up to vagya in roselawn - i took my folks there for dinner on friday and after my mum realised the dish she ordered was too hot, they swapped it for a milder one without quibble. food was very good too, and the staff were very nice.

Advertisement