Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Restaurant Recommendation thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

sweetie wrote: »
    Where do you recommend in D7 for brunch? We really miss Cotto. Wuff is the good too.

Woodstock and Clarkes I would put at the absolute bottom of my list for brunch .
    I love Clarkes the bakery but the breakfast is the same as it was in 1985
    Woodstock is a breakfast carvery sitting under lights to keep the food warm.Only recommended by being cheap and quick.
    Their lunch time salad deal though is very good.

My Favourites in no particular order and vary greatly in terms of whether you want a good old fashioned fry or eggs Benedict with avo toast .

Two Boys Brew , a bit hipster for me but food is delish
    Bang Bang - brunch burger on the go !
    Lorettas when you want a brunch to last you through lunch and dinner
    Kennedys , better for lunch or a slice of coffee and cake but decent brunch too.
    Legit coffee limited menu but very tasty.
    La Pausa , great traditional fry in here.
    Cowtown , great simple fry too and you can get a fruit slice for afters !
    Slice - Imagine Two Boys brew's less good looking hipster younger brother , but still tasty
    third Space - solid fry
    Urbanity -Hipster overload but I had huevos rancheros here that i still think about.
    White moose -only ok but always a lively space.

Wuff is still very decent if hard to get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tried Spice of India for first time last weekend. The early bird which is all night Sunday to Thursday is excellent value for two courses under €20 each with bottle of house wine for just €15.95 extra. Great food, service and surprisingly spacious restaurant. Would defo go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

ongarboy wrote: »
    Tried Spice of India for first time last weekend. The early bird which is all night Sunday to Thursday is excellent value for two courses under €20 each with bottle of house wine for just €15.95 extra. Great food, service and surprisingly spacious restaurant. Would defo go back.

Yep highly recommended from us as well, early bird on a Saturday is class, think it was up to 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Falafel in Coolmine Industrial Estate (beside Half And Half) has to be the best value in D15, especially if you're in to kebabs and falafel. Fantastic food and service in a very casual setting. Anytime I've popped in there's always middle eastern workers/familys getting a feed which is a great indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Daeltaja

Another shout for Spice of India. We've been going there frequently since moving to the area last August. You'd be forgiven for thinking this place is another bang average Indian churning out overly sweet Tikka Masalas, but the food is actually excellent. They recently moved the reception to the front and it now feels more like a restaurant than someones living room ha.

My only complaint, is the manager. He has no customer service skills whatsoever (not even a hello out of him on entry, just "how many"). He's constantly speaking down to his staff in front of everyone and the last time I asked our waiter how they were doing, he just rolled his eyes and stared up at the manager. I wouldn't let this put you off going, because the food is as good as you will find in Dublin (outside of maybe the pricey Ananda or Ruchii, The Taste), but don't be surprised to be greeted with a grunt!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Since I last posted in here I was in Brownes on a Thursday night. We both had the steak on a stone which is €20 in a Thursday night. We didn't know that when we were going but the small of everyone's steak was very enricing so we both ordered it - it was a good size, small but tall/thick and served with chunky chips and three small sauces (pepper sauce, gravy and garlic butter). I had 1 glass of wine, OH had a coke, we both had a starter each (chicken wings for me, can't remember what OH had) and the bill came to €64. It was a nice meal but not one we'd be rushing back for - nice but not amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

miamee wrote: »
    Since I last posted in here I was in Brownes on a Thursday night. We both had the steak on a stone which is €20 in a Thursday night. We didn't know that when we were going but the small of everyone's steak was very enricing so we both ordered it - it was a good size, small but tall/thick and served with chunky chips and three small sauces (pepper sauce, gravy and garlic butter). I had 1 glass of wine, OH had a coke, we both had a starter each (chicken wings for me, can't remember what OH had) and the bill came to €64. It was a nice meal but not one we'd be rushing back for - nice but not amazing.

Try the Cote de Boeuf for two the next time. Also comes with a side, sauce and glass of wine each for €50 all in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Gerlad wrote: »
    Try the Cote de Boeuf for two the next time. Also comes with a side, sauce and glass of wine each for €50 all in.

We only spotted that on the board towards the end of our meal and were annoyed we hadn't seen it earlier! If we're back, we'll try that out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Steak on a stone is the biggest con in restaurants. You pay extra to cook your own food and stink like a kitchen for the rest of the day.

Half and Half (beside falafel) do fantastic burgers. Another shout for casual grub. I'd have them in my top 5 for best burger in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Hurrache wrote: »
    Steak on a stone is the biggest con in restaurants. You pay extra to cook your own food and stink like a kitchen for the rest of the day.

I think you pay less for it in Brownes? I enjoy the experience personally.

A few of the recommendations here are for places in Coolmine Industrial Estate. Are they all just take aways and not sit down restaurants?

A few of the recommendations here are for places in Coolmine Industrial Estate. Are they all just take aways and not sit down restaurants?

You can sit in some of them - I’ve seen em tho not been in. Nothing fancy!

Nijmegen wrote: »
    You can sit in some of them - I’ve seen em tho not been in. Nothing fancy!

Cheers...So not for date nights then, lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

All depends on your idea of a romantic evening. :D

Authentic food appreciated by folks from the region, but not really date material no. Driving up past the takeaways, blind and paint shops and in around the garage.... that’s one way to make your significant other feel appreciated !

Perfect for casual dining. If the other half is laid back, then they're grand for a date I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

not a restaurant but went again to Diep last night. has to be the best take away in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

raheny red wrote: »
    Falafel in Coolmine Industrial Estate (beside Half And Half) has to be the best value in D15, especially if you're in to kebabs and falafel. Fantastic food and service in a very casual setting. Anytime I've popped in there's always middle eastern workers/familys getting a feed which is a great indicator.

Took your reccomendation and went for a mixed kebab tray for and a small donner for the mrs... a mountain of tasty food arrived.

Pretty impressed to be fair.. tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

12 lock strongly not recommended. i booked a family meeting, got terrible service and different table like agreed. staff wasn't interested serving us. Only plus - food was Ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

12 lock strongly not recommended. i booked a family meeting, got terrible service and different table like agreed. staff wasn't interested serving us. Only plus - food was Ok.

How long ago was this

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

I used to love the 12th lock, but the service and quality of food has been declining for years. It was at it's best when you could go and sit in the beer garden on a sunday and get French toast/ porridge or a full irish for the hangover. Service was always quick and with a smile. I went a few months ago for the last time and was served overpriced, undercooked food after an hour. No one was interested. Beautiful location, should be a gem.

Yeah I'd have to agree with the above on the 12th Lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yeah I'd have to agree with the above on the 12th Lock.

Same here. May have even posted previously in this thread about it. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fiddle Castro

Same here. May have even posted previously in this thread about it. Terrible.

I've got to agree as well, used to enjoy going to the 12th lock before the new owners came along. The place really went downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

I've got to agree as well, used to enjoy going to the 12th lock before the new owners came along. The place really went downhill.

I really miss it as a casual dining and pub. Loved the atmosphere. Was always gorgeous on a sunny day.

Looks like Rudys are setting up a BBQ for tonight/weekend. Get down quick if you want a bite and a gargle. Can't see that lasting long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Looks like Rudys are setting up a BBQ for tonight/weekend. Get down quick if you want a bite and a gargle. Can't see that lasting long.

Not legal yet? Heard people were sitting outside drinking wine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Delhi Darbar in Clones is a great little restaurant. Nothing fancy but really nice Indian food!

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Not legal yet? Heard people were sitting outside drinking wine today.

Seen the owner having a glass but that was it.

Advertisement