Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gold

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

gold went down 12% in the two weeks after that interview.

What's your point?

Check out the prices here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0&_nkw=1oz+gold&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I'm only concerned with long term physical gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Is it true that all of the gold mined on earth in all history wouldn't fill 3 Olympic swimming pools? Brian Cox said it on a documentary I was watching the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

What's your point?

My point is that the price of gold is going down and so is bad to invest in, unless you are shorting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

seklly wrote: »
    Is it true that all of the gold mined on earth in all history wouldn't fill 3 Olympic swimming pools? Brian Cox said it on a documentary I was watching the other day.

I have heard two.

Even less for platinum. I think it would all fit in your living room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

What's your point?

Check out the prices here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0&_nkw=1oz+gold&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I'm only concerned with long term physical gold.
    FISMA wrote: »
    I have heard two.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's correct. On the flip side, the Fed print enough money in one month to fill 3 O.S.P! (okay, dunno if that's accurate or not, but you get my point :) )

• Advertisement

My point is that the price of gold is going down and so is bad to invest in, unless you are shorting it.

So the price of a commodity or stock has to rise for you to invest?

Again, my position is long physical gold. I'm not the least bit concerned about the current gold price "scare".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

So the price of a commodity or stock has to rise for you to invest?

Yes, assuming you are trying to make money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

Yes, assuming you are trying to make money.

But low and sell high chief

Roonbox wrote: »
    But low and sell high chief

Exactly what I was going to say, you don't want to be riding the tide too late...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Last November Silver was at $34 roughly. At the time people were saying, that it was a ‘great opportunity to buy’, if Obama was elected it would be up over $35, a correction was an even better opportunity to buy, silver could go to $50 within 6 months (May 2013??), if you're not in the club before silver's next move you'll be too late and the train will be moving too fast to jump on, silver will definitely be over $100 in 5 years etc etc.

Since then Silver has dropped by roughly 36% - buy low and sell high?????, is it at the bottom now????

Meanwhile, in the same period (as a sample) JP Morgan has risen by 37% (plus a 2.5% approx dividend) , Citigroup has risen by 41%.

So if you had invested $10k in Silver back then (6 months ago roughly) you would now have $6,400 approx.
    And if you had invested $10k in Citigroup back then (6 months ago roughly) you would now have $14,100 approx.
    By my reckoning that is a difference of roughly 120%, a not insignificant difference.

Which would have been the better investment 6 months ago??

Hindsight is 20/20 vision of course, I couldn't have predicted such negative and positive results back then, right now I don’t have a clue what their relative positions will be in 6 months time. I would query anybody who would be making such confident predictions, do proper research and don't take whatever you see on the internet as gospel.

• Advertisement

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Last November Silver was at $34 roughly. At the time people were saying, that it was a ‘great opportunity to buy’, if Obama was elected it would be up over $35, a correction was an even better opportunity to buy, silver could go to $50 within 6 months (May 2013??), if you're not in the club before silver's next move you'll be too late and the train will be moving too fast to jump on, silver will definitely be over $100 in 5 years etc etc.

Since then Silver has dropped by roughly 36% - buy low and sell high?????, is it at the bottom now????

Meanwhile, in the same period (as a sample) JP Morgan has risen by 37% (plus a 2.5% approx dividend) , Citigroup has risen by 41%.

So if you had invested $10k in Silver back then (6 months ago roughly) you would now have $6,400 approx.
    And if you had invested $10k in Citigroup back then (6 months ago roughly) you would now have $14,100 approx.
    By my reckoning that is a difference of roughly 120%, a not insignificant difference.

Which would have been the better investment 6 months ago??

Hindsight is 20/20 vision of course, I couldn't have predicted such negative and positive results back then, right now I don’t have a clue what their relative positions will be in 6 months time. I would query anybody who would be making such confident predictions, do proper research and don't take whatever you see on the internet as gospel.

Of course JPM would have been a better investment from 6 months ago to now. Today I would buy silver, I would have back then also, I consider 6 months very short term trading.

Of course JPM would have been a better investment from 6 months ago to now. Today I would buy silver, I would have back then also, I consider 6 months very short term trading.

Why wouldn't you have bought JPM 6 months ago rather than silver. You could have sold JPM now (takes less than 10 seconds) and then buy silver, that way you would now own twice as many silver bars as you have having bought 6 months ago???? I don't understand this!

Why wouldn't you have bought JPM 6 months ago rather than silver. You could have sold JPM now (takes less than 10 seconds) and then buy silver, that way you would now own twice as many silver bars as you have having bought 6 months ago???? I don't understand this!

I am not a short term trader. 6 months is a very short timeline. I'm sure lots of chartists have made plenty off that trade.

I am not a short term trader. 6 months is a very short timeline. I'm sure lots of chartists have made plenty off that trade.

This investment/wealth preservation approach represents most of the gold/silver investing community who post in this thread.

What is your definition of long term trading, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years? If it is say 10 years, how would you feel if the silver you have now was still at the $35ish you paid for it after 10 years, having gone to the $150 (predicted by some here) after 5 years, would you not feel a bit of a wally for not having cashed in at least some when times were good.

I presume that the reason people are traders (short or long) is to try to make a few bob, hoping to do better than you might get for your money on deposit, giving yourself better lifestyle options. So why limit yourself religiously to long term, if you can get a 40%+ return after 6 months why not take it and treat yourself and Mrs Roonbox to a month of toes pointing skywards on Lafayette beach. There won’t be room for all that silver (and you) in the final big timber box.

What is your definition of long term trading, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years? If it is say 10 years, how would you feel if the silver you have now was still at the $35ish you paid for it after 10 years, having gone to the $150 (predicted by some here) after 5 years, would you not feel a bit of a wally for not having cashed in at least some when times were good.

I presume that the reason people are traders (short or long) is to try to make a few bob, hoping to do better than you might get for your money on deposit, giving yourself better lifestyle options. So why limit yourself religiously to long term, if you can get a 40%+ return after 6 months why not take it and treat yourself and Mrs Roonbox to a month of toes pointing skywards on Lafayette beach. There won’t be room for all that silver (and you) in the final big timber box.

I'm not sure if I'm speaking for Roonbox but I'd know the indicators that would show silver is overvalued. In my opinion, silver has a long way to go as it has been suppressed very aggressively recently. When I feel silver is overvalued, I will switch into another asset class. You don't understand that dollars might not be around in 5,10 years time. Maybe the next method of wealth exchange will be better than the current one and I could cash into that. You aren't going to change Roonbox's mind with appealing hypotheticals - he is holding his silver/gold for now and will cash in when the time suits, as will I.

DarkDusk wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm speaking for Roonbox but I'd know the indicators that would show silver is overvalued. In my opinion, silver has a long way to go as it has been suppressed very aggressively recently. When I feel silver is overvalued, I will switch into another asset class. You don't understand that dollars might not be around in 5,10 years time. Maybe the next method of wealth exchange will be better than the current one and I could cash into that. You aren't going to change Roonbox's mind with appealing hypotheticals - he is holding his silver/gold for now and will cash in when the time suits, as will I.

I know I'm not going to change Roonbox's mind, who am I to try to change anyone's mind? I just don't understand how one can be happy with their decision to buy an asset class that has dropped 40% (down nearly another 1.5% today) while ignoring assets that have risen over 40% in the same period. As an aside I'm assuming it's difficult to sell silver quickly in a falling knife situation, unlike say equities where you can escape with the pressing of a computer key.

You are 100% correct of course when you say that I don't understand that dollars mightn't be around in 5 years, the buck has been around for all my lifetime to date (I think) and I'm reasonably confident/hopeful that it'll see me out. There were many discussions here and on other forums last year with posters confidently predicting the imminent break-up of the Euro, without any thought whatsoever being given to the practical implications of it. Of course it didn't happen, as I predicted it wouldn't, but I wouldn't be claiming any crystal ball like wisdom for that of course as it was a virtually impossible scenario. I'll be watching the dollar closely over the next few years and might be sneaking the odd one out from under the mattress and converting to Fils or some such currency.

I know I'm not going to change Roonbox's mind, who am I to try to change anyone's mind? I just don't understand how one can be happy with their decision to buy an asset class that has dropped 40% (down nearly another 1.5% today) while ignoring assets that have risen over 40% in the same period. As an aside I'm assuming it's difficult to sell silver quickly in a falling knife situation, unlike say equities where you can escape with the pressing of a computer key.

You are 100% correct of course when you say that I don't understand that dollars mightn't be around in 5 years, the buck has been around for all my lifetime to date (I think) and I'm reasonably confident/hopeful that it'll see me out. There were many discussions here and on other forums last year with posters confidently predicting the imminent break-up of the Euro, without any thought whatsoever being given to the practical implications of it. Of course it didn't happen, as I predicted it wouldn't, but I wouldn't be claiming any crystal ball like wisdom for that of course as it was a virtually impossible scenario. I'll be watching the dollar closely over the next few years and might be sneaking the odd one out from under the mattress and converting to Fils or some such currency.

The dollar as a backed-by-nothing currency has been around for around 40 years. There have been thousands of currencies in the past and guess what, ALL of them have failed. The average lifespan of a currency is 27 years and monetary systems get replaced every 40 years or so. The oldest currency in history, the British Sterling, has lost 99.5% of its value since it's creation - all currencies go to zero. When you see the action taken by the Federal Reserve in recent times, does emergency not cry out at you?

fredgraph.png?g=3PE

Cash is the last thing you want to be in when the sh!t hits the fan... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

gold $1285
    silver $19.72
    oil $102.5

post gone quite!

There is no reason left to say gold/silver is a safe investment.....
    Great investment if bought at the rigth time ,which is NOT this year!

i would love to hear from honest traders whom got this wrong and have taken a less bullish stance!

euroboom13 wrote: »
    gold $1285
    silver $19.72
    oil $102.5

post gone quite!

i would love to hear from honest traders whom got this wrong and have taken a less bullish stance!

Would you like to comment on the reason why this has happened? All short term noise by the Fed, nothing of value.

• Advertisement

gold $1285
    silver $19.72
    oil $102.5

You may wish to list how commodities, equities, and bonds did today. Worst day for the market this year, correct?

What's your conclusion?

Also, check out what Paulson and Buffet are doing with their positions as of late...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Also, check out what Paulson and Buffet are doing with their positions as of late...

Hopefully Paulson's closing his gold positions, his gold portfolio has lost 54% of its value in 6 months!

Buffets increasing his equity purchases significantly according to last quarters filings, with 11 positions being either started or increased, while only selling Kraft shares as he intends to exit his position with them.

gold $1285
    silver $19.72
    oil $102.5

post gone quite!

Are you talking about gold ETFs? Are you talking about physical gold? Or all of the above? The reasons for investing in them are varied. A lot of financial advisers would suggest around 10% of your investment portfolio should contain gold and/or other precious metals. Then you could have a hedge account to offset loss if you're holding physical gold.

You're comments continue to be related to current affairs and have very flimsy evidence to support it. Stating the bleeding obvious that if you bought gold a decade ago and that you would be better off now, doesn't confirm that gold in the future is a bad investment.

To reiterate my reasons for investing in physical gold; substantial sovereign debt through out the world, currency debasing, QE in many countries, used as a form of money for thousands of years, central banks throughout the world are buying it, it has a limited supply, preserves wealth and purchasing power.

Would you like to list the reasons where I'm wrong on this?

Would you not like hear from the dishonest traders also? Whoever they may be.

I'm not a trader, I'd be considered a stacker. Whether I'm right or wrong on this, it won't bother me either way with the amount I have. Which isn't a lot.

Hopefully Paulson's closing his gold positions, his gold portfolio has lost 54% of its value in 6 months!

Buffets increasing his equity purchases significantly according to last quarters filings, with 11 positions being either started or increased, while only selling Kraft shares as he intends to exit his position with them.

First quarter? My data for the second quarter shows both are dumping stocks. Buffet is dumping stocks directly correlated to the purchasing power of consumers. Paulson is similarly dumping, but add in banking. Lastly, Soros is almost out of banks altogether.

Not trying to be combative, but did I miss something?

If the recovery for the US is on, then why are the big boys getting out and where are they going?

Lastly, I do not blame them for dumping the paper gold. I have too, however, only to acquire physical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

First quarter? My data for the second quarter shows both are dumping stocks. Buffet is dumping stocks directly correlated to the purchasing power of consumers. Paulson is similarly dumping, but add in banking. Lastly, Soros is almost out of banks altogether.

Not trying to be combative, but did I miss something?

If the recovery for the US is on, then why are the big boys getting out and where are they going?

Lastly, I do not blame them for dumping the paper gold. I have too, however, only to acquire physical.

Source I was using shows trades up to 31/3/13 and says its correct as of May. From January to May he's reduced 4 positions and closed 2. But he's added 4 new positions and increased 14.

I'd be very interested to see the stocks hes dumping if you could send me your info?

I wouldn't pay much attention to Paulson, particularly over Soros. Lets just say Paulson has a very very good PR team. He basically copied Michael Burry's subprime position and claimed it as his own, he's been found out post crisis with his performance.

Sorry for the rant just not a Paulson fan:pac:

gold $1285
    silver $19.72
    oil $102.5

post gone quite!

This is the buying opportunity I have been waiting for for 2 years. (I probably have an old post here somewhere saying so). But I am still not buying. Have been Short Nasdaq for 3 months (which has been painful) . I will be transferring my short to a Silver purchase on a selling climax in the SM.

I only had one warning about gold ,which was ,that qe should normally mean higher commodity prices ,but that this time it was not going to happen that way.

So everyone that was cheering on gold should have some caution.

gold prices are not following qe.

The reason is gold has already been over priced ,and increasing the money supply is only reducing the fall.

Stocks are only regrouping ,strong rally coming after the summer.
    Stocks are well up this year still,gold aint!

I only had one warning about gold ,which was ,that qe should normally mean higher commodity prices ,but that this time it was not going to happen that way.

So everyone that was cheering on gold should have some caution.

gold prices are not following qe.

The reason is gold has already been over priced ,and increasing the money supply is only reducing the fall.

Stocks are only regrouping ,strong rally coming after the summer.
    Stocks are well up this year still,gold aint!

Different opinions are what makes a market, there's a buyer for every seller..

I personally think you'd be much better off buying Gold/silver/commodities now than stocks, for the short, medium and long term.

Buffet didnt get rich by telling people what he is doing or going to do.He only broadcasts for his own financial gain not yours.Try to see what lower gold and oil prices would mean to the global markets and i dont think you will go to far wrong.

Thats just what i see.Not trying to convince anyone but i am warning gold bugs all year. Since $1700 and still see further decline.

• Advertisement

Different opinions are what makes a market, there's a buyer for every seller..

I personally think you'd be much better off buying Gold/silver/commodities now than stocks, for the short, medium and long term.

I like your conviction.
    I think the next month wont be pretty for anyone(especially stocks) but stocks will by far out shine everything else this year and has already!

LONG term everything that survives goes up!medium term if you buy too high you may miss a better opportunity.Short term everythings a gamble!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

I´m starting to think the price of paper gold is going to keep going down until physical starts getting harder to find.
    I keep saying I´ll get more gold soon but it keeps going down.

With the gold/silver ratio at 1/64 a large silver buy is tempting but again prices are still going down.
    I think a lot of people underestimated how long the central banks and governments can drag this out for.

Pictures from China last week where 10,000 queued for a gold sales promotion

china-gold-demand-2.jpg

d4bed9d4d2201322608102.jpg

http://www.chinadailyasia.com/photo/2013-06/13/content_15075856.html

LONG term everything that survives goes up!medium term if you buy too high you may miss a better opportunity.Short term everythings a gamble!

Can you see a market or currency crash occurring at some point? (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-22/end-qe)

Apparently 1 in 4 mortgages in Ireland are in arrears, what effect will that have on the banks? (http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/truly-shocking-as-one-in-four-now-unable-to-pay-their-mortgage-29364027.html)

The decline of the US Dollar? (http://useconomy.about.com/od/criticalssues/p/dollar_collapse.htm)

What effect will any of the above have on the price of gold, in your opinion?

Can you see a market or currency crash occurring at some point? (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-22/end-qe)

Apparently 1 in 4 mortgages in Ireland are in arrears, what effect will that have on the banks? (http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/truly-shocking-as-one-in-four-now-unable-to-pay-their-mortgage-29364027.html)

The decline of the US Dollar? (http://useconomy.about.com/od/criticalssues/p/dollar_collapse.htm)

What effect will any of the above have on the price of gold, in your opinion?

We are further away from a complete market or currency crash than we were in 2007/8/9.

Considering that the banks havent really started lending again,i think the 1 in 4 morgage arrears is not a bad starting point.The number one buyer for property in this country is a morgaged buyer.As soon as the banks are prepared to lend back into the market on a scale similar to 2003/4/5 ,all percieved difficulties will be remedied.

It is quite obvious that any decline happening in the $ is being well enginneered and not a crisis driven fluctuation as previously witness.

Gold in my opinion is a weapon of global trade,which the middle east have been using to protect oil payments.Gold has risen so much in the past decade that if there were a fall in price it would ,in hind sight , make the west energy bill very cheap.An oil bill paid for with gold at $1700 is going to look like a steal at $1200.THAT is what is happening with gold(and trade).Relatively speaking we will have Haved our energy bill.

Gold down not up!

We are further away from a complete market or currency crash than we were in 2007/8/9.

How?
    Considering that the banks havent really started lending again,i think the 1 in 4 morgage arrears is not a bad starting point.The number one buyer for property in this country is a morgaged buyer.As soon as the banks are prepared to lend back into the market on a scale similar to 2003/4/5 ,all percieved difficulties will be remedied.

When will this occur? What about all the negative equity and mortgage debt? You didn't mention anything about interest rates.
    It is quite obvious that any decline happening in the $ is being well enginneered and not a crisis driven fluctuation as previously witness.

Well engineered? You mean QE?
    Gold in my opinion is a weapon of global trade,which the middle east have been using to protect oil payments.Gold has risen so much in the past decade that if there were a fall in price it would ,in hind sight , make the west energy bill very cheap.An oil bill paid for with gold at $1700 is going to look like a steal at $1200.THAT is what is happening with gold(and trade).Relatively speaking we will have Haved our energy bill.

According to the US Energy Dept., the Middle East accounts for 25% of US oil supply. The main supplier being Canada. I can see the energy bill increasing.
    Gold down not up!
    When would you suggest it might bottom or rise again?

1)All currencies are completely aware of possible collaspe,which makes it extremely less likely than when they were hit by The major banking crisis!

2)There is no morgaged backed property market at the moment.When the time is right for property inflation,investors and banks will jump in.We are nearly at that point where inflation and interest rates start to recover,making investment attractive.Negative equity will reduce quickly,morgage debt will be more attractive to honour.Interest rates will go up ,along with rent yields (and inflation).[/I]

f3)ed is more interested in the value of the $ than qe.

4)US energy is going through a complete change.Ramped up production and storage.Why?In my opinion it is preparing for a price war.gold/oil prices are completely related to this.That is why i wont be getting involved with either at this time![/I]

5)I see major financial crisis in the middle east first.We are already seeing increased political change.Final changes will happen when gold and oil prices bottom out!

All i know is what is happening now ,only makes sence ,if you factor in the middle east and why it is still booming(high gold/high oil).[/I]

• Advertisement

[/I]

There was so many things wrong with this post but this bit stood out the most... Seriously?! The Fed is more interested in the value of the Dollar more so than QE? You do know that printing money, QE, devalues the currency? I don't think I'll bother replying to your posts any more if you are going to melt my brain with these paradoxes...

The bond market is more important than stocks and the metals market combined at the moment which is why I made a thread over here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969783 Check it out and voice your opinion because we could be looking at another full-fledged crisis worse than 07/08 very soon...

1)All currencies are completely aware of possible collaspe,which makes it extremely less likely than when they were hit by The major banking crisis!

Do you mean currency markets? Do you think QE is helping the USA in regards to its sovereign debt and future economy?
    2)There is no morgaged backed property market at the moment.When the time is right for property inflation,investors and banks will jump in.We are nearly at that point where inflation and interest rates start to recover,making investment attractive.Negative equity will reduce quickly,morgage debt will be more attractive to honour.Interest rates will go up ,along with rent yields (and inflation).[/I]

This bit looks all wrong to me. "Negative equity will reduce quickly"?

The Fed is doing it's best to keep it's rather unstable economy and financial system afloat. It's in for some serious trouble when/if interest rates rise.
    4)US energy is going through a complete change.Ramped up production and storage.Why?In my opinion it is preparing for a price war.gold/oil prices are completely related to this.That is why i wont be getting involved with either at this time![/I]

Price war?
    5)I see major financial crisis in the middle east first.We are already seeing increased political change.Final changes will happen when gold and oil prices bottom out!

There's a financial crisis in Europe, Japan and the USA also you know. Why don't you comment on them also?
    All i know is what is happening now ,only makes sence ,if you factor in the middle east and why it is still booming(high gold/high oil).[/I]

I think you're making this up as you go along.

If you are going to post can you supply some references and links to support your opinions and claims?

This is why i dont like debating on here.Its like debating with a 14 yr old.

If you believe that you`ve spotted a major flaw in the $ that the fed havint picked up on yet ,fair play to you ,i`ve underestimated you, and for that i will appologise in the future!

Interest rates are a central banks(fed) way of tackling inflation,if the fed decides its time to rise them, i am sure it wont cause a dollar collaspe.

Falling poperty markets have a promblem with neg equity,rising ones dont!!

Sorry for not stating the OBVIOUS crisis i was merely pointing out the exception (mid east),which was my point!

As for reference,why?and do you think you will get a guide book!

DarkDusk wrote: »
    There was so many things wrong with this post but this bit stood out the most... Seriously?! The Fed is more interested in the value of the Dollar more so than QE? You do know that printing money, QE, devalues the currency? I don't think I'll bother replying to your posts any more if you are going to melt my brain with these paradoxes...

The bond market is more important than stocks and the metals market combined at the moment which is why I made a thread over here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969783 Check it out and voice your opinion because we could be looking at another full-fledged crisis worse than 07/08 very soon...

The value the fed want the dollar to be dosent have to be a high value ,they may and do now want a low value.So what you found seriously wrong was your asumption that value meant higher value!!You are melting your own pixie head but i will gladly take the blame!

This is why i dont like debating on here.Its like debating with a 14 yr old.

If you believe that you`ve spotted a major flaw in the $ that the fed havint picked up on yet ,fair play to you ,i`ve underestimated you, and for that i will appologise in the future!

I'm trying to make sense of your and reply to your comments, it's not personal.

Your arrogance is noted by posting on here with vague comments and then not willing to back these comments with references. If your debating is to the same level as a 14 year old, why bother indeed?
    Interest rates are a central banks(fed) way of tackling inflation,if the fed decides its time to rise them, i am sure it wont cause a dollar collaspe.

Read my post again, I was referring to the economy, not a dollar collapse.
    Falling poperty markets have a promblem with neg equity,rising ones dont!!

You actually think this is going to happen any time soon?
    Sorry for not stating the OBVIOUS crisis i was merely pointing out the exception (mid east),which was my point!

As for reference,why?and do you think you will get a guide book!

From your comments to date, you may as well be commenting on the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

• Advertisement

The value the fed want the dollar to be dosent have to be a high value ,they may and do now want a low value.So what you found seriously wrong was your asumption that value meant higher value!!You are melting your own pixie head but i will gladly take the blame!

You misunderstood my post.

RIGHT, you said that the Fed is MORE INTERESTED in the VALUE OF THE DOLLAR than QE.

You acknowledge you said that, right?

Ok, HOW can the Fed be more interested in the value of the dollar IF the value of the dollar is influenced by QE? It's like saying that you are more interested in taking away your thirst than drinking water. :P

I don't think you know what your talking about.

On another note, its getting difficult to ignore Gold and Silver here...

It sure is difficult to ignore it.

Back at the end of October, people here were saying that it was a great time to buy silver when it was $32, today its $18.5, a drop of over 40%, presumably it will rise again but people who took that advice back then would/should be sh1tting bricks at the moment.

Just something that I read today which I found very interesting; The reason huge selling in the gold and silver markets took place recently was because people (mostly insiders who had very large positions - remember a month or two ago when there was huge sellers of gold larger than the annual supply?) are trying to get rid of all paper assets before a dollar collapse. It actually makes sense if we are on the brink of a bond bubble bursting and an economic collapse... If the dollar does fail, all paper assets such as bonds, IOU's and paper gold and silver would be useless.

It kinda makes you think for a minute, doesn't it?

It sure is difficult to ignore it.

Back at the end of October, people here were saying that it was a great time to buy silver when it was $32, today its $18.5, a drop of over 40%, presumably it will rise again but people who took that advice back then would/should be sh1tting bricks at the moment.

I bought in and around those prices and I'm perfectly calm at the moment. I know that the fundamentals are still there for precious metals and the bond markets are probably on the brink of collapse, bringing down the entire monetary system with it.

I've always said "buy the dips and sell the highs" and to space purchases over regular intervals, which is a good strategy in my mind.

Got this from a gold/silver site which outlines some of the fundamentals supporting the markets still:
    • Is the financial crisis in the Western world over?
    • Have the G20 countries balanced their budget?
    • Have commercial banks managed to become solvent?
    • Have economic tensions around the globe improved?
    • Is a global competitive devaluation to increase exports eminent?
    • Have central banks become increasingly politicized?
    • Is the European periphery still financially challenged?
    • Do the Asian countries still have a cultural affinity to precious metals?
    • Have central banks stopped exponentially creating currency?
    • Are bank bailouts & bail-ins still a threat to the average saver's account?
    • Have US budgetary concerns been resolved?

That'll help you sleep at night! :)

So when you bought in at $32 I presume you thought it was a good time to buy, and by that I mean that you thought the price was at/near the bottom, and that the precious metal fundamentals were supporting it at that price.

I'm off to try to get some shuteye now, interrupted undoubtedly by some nightmarish and cold sweat moments as I ponder the imminent collapse of the Euro, $ and whole monetary system, wondering what I will be able to use in the new bartering replacement.

It certainly does make you think!

$1230 gold
    at what price is it ok to adkwowledge that caution should have been taken!
    Caution was well adviced on this post.
    And this advise is still being discredited as unfounded!
    While advise from gold/silver sales websites is being promoted and heralded as wisdom!!!

$1230 gold
    at what price is it ok to adkwowledge that caution should have been taken!
    Caution was well adviced on this post.
    And this advise is still being discredited as unfounded!
    While advise from gold/silver sales websites is being promoted and heralded as wisdom!!!

Advice? Your advice to date mainly consists of, "price wars' with the Middle East and "I told you so". That's your advice on the price of gold.

Advice? Your advice to date mainly consists of, "price wars' with the Middle East and "I told you so". That's your advice on the price of gold.

sorry i thought my advice was mainly dont buy gold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

yea in fairness my impression from his posts was to stay clear of it, not to buy or short, which I think is good advice for the ordinary Joe.
    It's entertainment following the story of gold but not fun if people are getting burnt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement