Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left job

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Not any more.

PMOD changed the rules.

PMOD may have changed rules, but there is no rule saying you can't pay an employee who doesn't have a PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Fandymo wrote: »
    If you give someone a cheque, how is that taxed by revenue??

The cheque is for the net pay, ie after the employer has applied the zero credit cert. It is taxed by the employer. no pps always generates a zero credit cert from revenue. When the employer sends in the monthly returns the tax deducted from this employee is paid over to Revenue. Then the employer will keep trying to get the pps number from the employee.
    Revenue are aware that employers can have employees who leave before the have a pps number and they have a process for dealing with this.
    Last year in Dublin the wait was over three months to get a Pps number which was disgraceful when there were employees on zero certs for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cerateau

This would all be solved if all workplaces were required by law to have clock cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

cerateau wrote: »
    This would all be solved if all workplaces were required by law to have clock cards

You don't need them to solve the OPs issue. I doubt the Employer will argue they didn't do the hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

domrush wrote: »
    Just ring him ffs. Going through the process of getting the WRC involved will be a thousand times more awkward than a phone call

OP will spent more time dealing with WRC than they did working for the company... And still won't even pick up the phone and give them a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Can't have some of the clock in systems with covid at the moment, we have a fingerprint sensor as a clock in in my job, it's been deliberately out of action since covid began, don't expect everyone to be using a fingerprint scanner in a pandemic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Deeec

This wouldnt solve the issue as THEY DONT HAVE YOUR PPS NUMBER. Ring them and give them your PPS number.

mloc123 wrote: »
    OP will spent more time dealing with WRC than they did working for the company... And still won't even pick up the phone and give them a call.

As OP I'm confused why millennials are unable to respond to emails ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

mloc123 wrote: »

Lots of young people now starting work have absolutely no experience of having to “sort” things out for themselves. They’ve certainly never had to have a confrontation, even a mild one, with anyone but their parents.
    This isn’t a “snowflakes” rant, it’s just a statement of fact.
    When they hear that there’s such a thing as the WRC they think that they just need to ring them and they’ll come along and sort the issue out for them, the employer will apologise profusely for the upset, and all will be well.
    This is my experience currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You don't need them to solve the OPs issue. I doubt the Employer will argue they didn't do the hours work.

He is the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I agree some people are being a little harsh here on your situation.

That said, in the time you've spent reading and responding to these comments, and I assume researching the WRC approach, you could have easily spent a few minutes making a phone call to your previous employer.

Regardless of what they are or aren't able to do, you are perfectly able to make a phone call.

I think you're winding yourself up a bit at this stage, and preparing for battles that may not be remotely necessary.

I’d guess they are hoping you go away as they don’t want to pay you.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He is the OP.

Have you established gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

When did you quit and when was payday supposed to be?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Have you actually established that they won't pay you or just that they haven't responded to your email?

Did you just email your Boss or were HR/Payroll copied?

There are so many easier ways to deal with this than going straight to the WRC whose first question will just be "how did you try to remedy this" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Think they are well rid to be honest, nothing wrong with a bit of manners . Pick up the phone and explain the situation or call in and explain.
    Absolutely entitled to be paid but OP is hardly going to be top priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hi,

I started a job very recently but have since left after finding a less stressful job.

I had worked there for only 5 days and hadn't registered with revenue yet nor did I sign any contract.

I have emailed my employer to say that I won't be returning to work and included bank account details in the email to be paid for the week's work.

The employer ignored my email and I sent a follow up email a few days ago yet no reply.

Where do I proceed from here?

I am a college student, skint at the moment, so I really don't want to let this slide.

How did you land another job so soon after leaving this job?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

I think nobody is suggesting that the OP doesnt deserve to be paid but the way they have presented their case is very poor. The expectation that an employer was just going to transfer full GROSS pay into their bank account is beyond belief and assuming this is all just happening in the last week or 2 the WRC will have no interest until the employer is given reasonable time to resolve.

In all likelyhood the employer will process their wages but will do us as part of the normal pay cycle but in order to process that they need OP to cooperate and provide your PPSN - not sure why you didnt do that on day 1 or with your emails. If you've gone so far as to look up WRC disputes then surely you know that the PPSN is a standard part of being paid. If this is a small family business they likely dont have full time HR or Payroll so maybe there is no one available at the moment to answer your question.

As the saying goes - "There are 2 sides to every story" and I'd love to hear the employers take! Personally I think OP has a lot to learn about the workplace and it may have been just temp job but never good to burn bridges, you never know when you meet up again in another workplace or situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    fiestywonder either add value to the relevant question in the thread as per the charter or don't bother posting in it again.

Some suggestions so far.

Talk to a solicitor - thankfully not suggested often, possibly only once and, in fairness, the OP hasn't run with it. Going to a solicitor for an approx €465 debt is overkill. The one or two hours initial consult with the solicitor would cost that. And never make a 100% assumption you'll win a case and be awarded costs.

Threaten to report to Revenue. IF, and this is a big if, Revenue talk to you and ask if you gave your employer your PPSN and you say, 'No, I didn't give them my PPS number, shur I'm a student (please let it not be a business course) and don't pay tax. I asked if he'd just pay into my bank account.' it's not likely to end well. Revenue will 100% not get involved, they will say this is a matter for you and your employer. 100%.

Go to the WRC. Unless you have a year's service the WRC will not entertain except for some very specific exceptions. You walking out after a week and not getting paid isn't one of them.

Give them your PPSN and, if you want to be paid quickly, apologise for leaving without notice (not legally required, but manners costs nothing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

As someone who processes payroll OP I think you probably will be paid but if you don't provide your PPS number and also register your employment you will be on 40% tax and 8% USC plus PRSI so at most you will get half of what you're owed.

Don't know why you think you wouldn't pay any tax anyway, student or not you're still liable for tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Qrt

Personally, I’d just call them, say sorry for leaving without notice, I don’t want an argument or expect a reference etc etc, I just want the money I’m owed, here’s my PPSN, please put it through your next pay cycle, sorry for the hassle etc etc.

I don’t blame you for walking out, but a lot of the time it works out easier to just play ball with sh¡t conditions.

Also as all communication was via email, I actually don't have a phone number for the employer, only their business telephone.

I suppose also because the business is non-essential it might be that they would want it off books as the employer never wanted a PPSN.

As I haven't got a reply I will ring tomorrow.

Qrt wrote: »

I don’t blame you for walking out, but a lot of the time it works out easier to just play ball with sh¡t conditions.

Life's too short

Esse85 wrote: »
    How did you land another job so soon after leaving this job?

Local supermarkets crying out for people cause students on PUP are happy out.

I think this will suit better anyways so yeah that's why I left and also I hated it so.

Beatty69 wrote: »

Don't know why you think you wouldn't pay any tax anyway, student or not you're still liable for tax.

I meant earning over 400 would only be during the holidays. I'd earn no where near enough to be charged income or USC. So I wouldn't pay tax.
    Registering with revenue for the sake of one PRSI contribution seems excessive

DriveSkill wrote: »
    In all likelyhood the employer will process their wages but will do us as part of the normal pay cycle

But one pay period has already gone by since leaving.

I meant earning over 400 would only be during the holidays. I'd earn no where near enough to be charged income or USC. So I wouldn't pay tax.
    Registering with revenue for the sake of one PRSI contribution seems excessive

Your logic is flawed. You (rightly) believe your employer needs to pay you by law.

You need your pay to be processed by law. You will earn a credit, and the employer will pay ER PRSI - just over €50.

Taxation is cumulative, so it needs to be added to the other employment you earn with you new employer. You may not pay much tax, but you'll likely pay some.

For your own sake get getting paid under the counter out of your head, btw, IF you were getting paid fraudulently they aren't likely want to leave an obvious paper/electronic trail by paying by EFT would they?

That last question is rhetorical ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Also as all communication was via email, I actually don't have a phone number for the employer, only their business telephone.

I suppose also because the business is non-essential it might be that they would want it off books as the employer never wanted a PPSN.

As I haven't got a reply I will ring tomorrow.

Try the business number, it’s usually a good way of contacting your employer.

What is the correlation between non-essential and off the books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Limerick Native

Absolute snowflake material, leave the job grand but looking for pay etc after the way you treated them

Advertisement