Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tonights Boxing 3/3/18 (Wilder-Ortiz, Brook, Kovalev, Taylor etc)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Joshua is a wider favourite against Wilder than he is Fury so I'd guess the bookies make Fury close favourite against Wilder.

I searched around and cannot get any odds.....

Not sure your a/b/c thought process is valid here.....

Could turn out that the bookies see Wilder as a more dangerous (and awkward/unpredictable) punching threat to Fury than they see Joshua to Fury...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    I searched around and cannot get any odds.....

Not sure your a/b/c thought process is valid here.....

Could turn out that the bookies see Wilder as a more dangerous (and awkward/unpredictable) punching threat to Fury than they see Joshua to Fury...

Maybe so but I wouldn't read too much into bookies odds anyway. Most traders who set odds for boxing have boxing 2nd or 3rd on their list of priorities behind other sports. They don't specify in boxing. Might set odds for rugby and do boxing odds on the side for example. They're no experts (See the Groves -Eubank odds for example).

Henno30 wrote: »
    No top heavyweight will be as incapable of pulling the trigger as Wlad was that night.

Which may well play into Fury's hands further. Anyone coming in reckless against Fury is likely to miss and get countered hard. That's what I think is a likely outcome against Wilder.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Which may well play into Fury's hands further. Anyone coming in reckless against Fury is likely to miss and get countered hard. That's what I think is a likely outcome against Wilder.

Well, that could be true, and if I am wrong about Fury's power, then he could score a countering KO.

I do think that you overrate his all around rings skills.....

He has fought nobody like an AJ or Wilder...

walshb wrote: »
    Well, that could be true, and if I am wrong about Fury's power, then he could score a countering KO.

I do think that you overrate his all around rings skills.....

He has fought nobody like an AJ or Wilder...

And neither AJ or Wilder have fought anyone like Fury.

I favour Fury over both but I've never categorically said he can't lose. He'll have to be at his best to do it for sure. I don't agree that I overrate him. He's not the perfect heavyweight by any means but Joshua and Wilder are far from perfect heavyweights themselves.

I think you have a personal dislike for the guy just like you do Saunders which clouds your judgment somewhat. Probably the two best pure boxers in the UK.

• Advertisement

A dislike does not come into it..

I pick Fury to beat any HW on earth not named AJ or Wilder..

I have said plenty of times through the years that he is quite a good boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Stuck with Showtime and it was an enjoyable couple of bouts. The prefight worry about Uzcategui's urine went with the unpredictability of these two bouts.

The fight on reflection was predictable as Uzcategui was all over him and Dirrell's body language was very telling. It just looked like one fight too many and his earlier thoughts on retirement had to have an effect as the younger man emphatically won. What I found incredible was at the end of the third is that they had no water for Dirrell! Virgil Hunter repeatedly screaming for water summed the whole match really.

Wilder's over confidence almost cost him as the beating he took in the seventh was savage but he did the right thing holding but still scratching my head why the ref gave Wilder more time at the start of the eighth. Ortiz was a worth opponent in an absorbing bout but big question marks over Wilder. Unleashing bombs and being very anxious while looking for the ko almost cost him dearly. To be fair he showed some balls to come back but I cant see Joshua losing to him.

But great to see the heavyweights back in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Stuck with Showtime and it was an enjoyable couple of bouts. The prefight worry about Uzcategui's urine went with the unpredictability of these two bouts.

The fight on reflection was predictable as Uzcategui was all over him and Dirrell's body language was very telling. It just looked like one fight too many and his earlier thoughts on retirement had to have an effect as the younger man emphatically won. What I found incredible was at the end of the third is that they had no water for Dirrell! Virgil Hunter repeatedly screaming for water summed the whole match really.

Wilder's over confidence almost cost him as the beating he took in the seventh was savage but he did the right thing holding but still scratching my head why the ref gave Wilder more time at the start of the eighth. Ortiz was a worth opponent in an absorbing bout but big question marks over Wilder. Unleashing bombs and being very anxious while looking for the ko almost cost him dearly. To be fair he showed some balls to come back but I cant see Joshua losing to him.

But great to see the heavyweights back in the sun.

It was a very composed performance from Wilder early on though. Didn't jump at the many false openings Ortiz was showing him. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any middle ground where he can be effective.

He is either cautious or in full on windmill mode. He doesn't seem to be able to win rounds at a mid-level intensity by picking shots here and there.

Advertisement