Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonights Boxing 3/3/18 (Wilder-Ortiz, Brook, Kovalev, Taylor etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

megadodge wrote: »
    I hope Ortiz didn't punch himself out.

I'd say that's it for him. He was already looking tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Ortiz for the ko now

Johnny Nelson must have some serious money on Wilder...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Big Ears wrote: »
    Johnny Nelson must have some serious money on Wilder...

He backed Ortiz before the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Even if Ortiz is tired, Wilder won't fight at a pace that will take it out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Blanco100 wrote: »
    He backed Ortiz before the fight

Both Sky and Jonny have made no secret of the fact they want Wilder to win...

megadodge wrote: »
    Even if Ortiz is tired, Wilder won't fight at a pace that will take it out of him.

He might have to. He's so raw it's unbelievable.

Wilder wins if it goes to cards

Both Sky and Jonny have made no secret of the fact they want Wilder to win...

Wilder is the money fight for Joshua.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Wilder has some gas tank

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Wow...Just wow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

What a fight. Nothing but respect for Wilder taking that fight and doing the job. He really isn't very good at all and will get beat very soon but fair play.

Fair play to Wilder but Jesus he's sickening...

The worst thing is having to listen to him talking through his hole afterwards.

In fairness he did well to survive the 7th. Ortiz really should have finished him off, but paid the price.

Joshua all the way if they ever meet. He'll pressure him relentlessly and will land too often and I don't think he'll get caught up in any of the windmilling. It will be far more controlled which always suits the superior boxer.

Fair play to Wilder but Jesus he's sickening...

Almost as sickening as Adam Smith talking about 'The respect's after fights. It's got to the stage I think he gets sexual pleasure from fighters hugging !

Kovalev on now.

Judges all had wilder ahead before KO.

Of course they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Wow, all judges had Wilder winning

Were they watching a different fight?

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Wow, all judges had Wilder winning

Were they watching a different fight?

Was Ortiz ever going to be winning on the cards?

After hearing this I'm glad it didn't go to decision. I was shouting for Ortiz but as only a semi-casual fan I'm really put off the sport by the seemingly common dodgy decisions...

...or maybe it's just my untrained eye judging the rounds incorrectly? I could see a case for the fight being a tie up to the KO but no way could I have had Wilder ahead, I'll never claim to be an expert though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

So it turns out Wilder has a chin on him as well as a tonne of heart. That comeback was as impressive as Joshua vs Klitschko. The fight is very interesting. I'm not sure Joshua punches much harder than Ortiz, and I'm not sure he's a better boxer either. Wilder just needs to hurt him once and he wins. His unorthodox swinging makes him an incredible finisher. Like all jokes aside how the f*ck do you defend against that? Shame Ortiz is only coming into prominence in his 60s, God knows how good he was in his 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Johnny Nelson said some amount of stupid sh1t last night. His commentary on Dirrell - Uzcategui and Wilder - Ortiz was actually ridiculous. Made it very hard to watch the fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Really enjoyed that fight. Excitement in the Heavyweights is great for boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair play to wilder for taking the fight. Ortiz is a tough awkward opponent with good skills. Was a very risky fight.

Thought he was overly cautious early on and the slow tempo was suiting Ortiz. Upped it a few gears in the middle rounds at started to get on top. Done amazingly well to stay on his feet in the 7th, really thought he was gone at that stage.

Ortiz probably punched himself out in the 7th while going for the kill. Showed great resolve to come back and get the ko and that will give him lots of confidence especially with his chin passing the test.

He's likely to get out boxed by most at this level but he's got dynamite for fists and that's the big equaliser. Beyond me how the judges had wilder ahead on the cards though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Several difficult to score rds. You could argue for Ortiz, but he was hardly taking the early rds by the scruff..overall he was poor I thought. Had a couple of intense attacks and then gassed...sad state of affairs for so called elite..

Wilder has some reach and range...

He gets a lot of stick, but you won’t beat this lad any way easily...

Mad sloppy finish, but a finish nonetheless..he has that power that hurts even when a lot of his shots don’t even fully connect.

Overall an ok fight...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Pluto Planet

walshb wrote: »
    Several difficult to score rds. You could argue for Ortiz, but he was hardly taking the early rds by the scruff..overall he was poor I thought. Had a couple of intense attacks and then gassed...sad state of affairs for so called elite..

Wilder has some reach and range...

He gets a lot of stick, but you won’t beat this lad any way easily...

Mad sloppy finish, but a finish nonetheless..he has that power that hurts even when a lot of his shots don’t even fully connect.

Overall an ok fight...

Are you aware of the concept that elite level boxers can cancel each other out?

Are you aware of the concept that elite level boxers can cancel each other out?

Yes...

Ortiz for me was poor...best (or one of) of what’s around today, I get that..

Just can’t get excited by a guy who goes 6/7 fairly tame rds, then opens up a bit for a rd or so and is out on his feet...that is what he gave us last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

titan18 wrote: »
    Johnny Nelson said some amount of stupid sh1t last night. His commentary on Dirrell - Uzcategui and Wilder - Ortiz was actually ridiculous. Made it very hard to watch the fights.

...This!!!...Was extremely tempted to mute my tv last night, he's gotta be the most annoying commentator in boxing... He must have repeated the same dribble about 30 times during the wilder fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wilder is a poor boxer. He has a huge reach yet it was largely ineffective against Ortiz. Fury will box rings around him if they ever fight.
    If Ortiz was a bit fitter he would have ended it in round 8

Wilder is a poor boxer. He has a huge reach yet it was largely ineffective against Ortiz. Fury will box rings around him if they ever fight.
    If Ortiz was a bit fitter he would have ended it in round 8

Can you honestly say that Fury won't get nailed clean for 36 minutes?

What happens when he does?

You'd swear that Fury was Pea Whitaker on defense. Smaller less dangerous men found his chin and rocked him and dropped him.

The man has done nothing in 3 years apart from smack and junk food....

And he's going to come back and walk rings around Wilder?

walshb wrote: »
    Can you honestly say that Fury won't get nailed clean for 36 minutes?

What happens when he does?

You'd swear that Fury was Pea Whitaker on defense. Smaller less dangerous men found his chin and rocked him and dropped him.

The man has done nothing in 3 years apart from smack and junk food....

And he's going to come back and walk rings around Wilder?

I think Fury needs a fight or 2 to blow away the cobwebs. When he is fit and focused he outpoints Wilder with ease. Just my opinion.

I agree with your analysis of Wilder in terms of having power to hurt a guy even when shots don't land properly. He enjoys a big reach advantage also.

I'm not Furys biggest fan, but the guy hasn't shipped much punishment in his later fights. He is a cute enough fighter and has more than enough in his arsenal to outpoint Wilder.

Joshua v Wilder will be a decent event now, can see both guys hit the canvas, Wilder's reach will make it interesting, but the guy is just too raw and crude to be taken completely seriously.

There is no signature heavyweight who stands out above the rest in my opinion. 10 years ago you could see Wlad was the stand out fighter (apart from his brother) but Joshua, Fury, Wilder are all much of a muchness.

At a stretch id place Fury top of the pile, but the guy has his own personal issues aswell that will stop him going places unfortunately. Next in line i'd have Joshua, who is neither as good as his biggest supporters would say, nor is he as bad as his biggest critics would have you believe.

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »

I agree with your analysis of Wilder in terms of having power to hurt a guy even when shots don't land properly. He enjoys a big reach advantage also.

And this is what I see. Wilder has height and reach and wow power. Those 3 combined are very bad for Fury. He is tall enough and rangy enough to not have to have too much trouble to connect on Fury, who has been used to fighting far shorter men.

No freaking way Fury avoids getting hit clean for 36 minutes.....no way.....and when he does he'll be taken out on a stretcher...

Advertisement