Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celebrity Slim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

g'em ur a moderator and this is freedom of speech , we aint hurting anybody or slagging anybody so why come in and make people feel like crap for wanting to try something diff ???? after all its our lives not yours , u said u couldnt givea toss what people lost etc , then why u here ??? people were put on the planet to bodybuild ?? although its good

why do people take protein shakes ???? thats not natural , why not take alot more chicken or fish in ur diet to compensate ???

not everybody has it sussed like you altho we wish we had

if these people here are happy then cool

me myself , ive stopped it tonight as i lost 20 lbs and gives me a quick start

not having ago ok , but people doing far more damage with smoking and others , at least they wanna try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

g'em wrote: »
    And am I fat? No, I'm not. I've been fat, yes, and I've also carried sub 15% bodyfat with a six-pack. I've tried every diet under the sun and while I don't proclaim to know everything there is to know about nutrition, I've done the reasearch and then some. If you'd like to continue doubting my knowledge that's your perogative, but I can guarantee you you'd be mistaken.

gem, please post the photo from t-nation of your 6pack. That's my all time inspirational photo.

I've been lucky enough to meet G'em a couple of times over the last 2 year. She is a scientist and very thorough in her research. In fact she is one of the very few people I would not second guess. If she tells me something works, I believe her, if she says it doesn't I believe her because I know she doesn't say stuff without knowing what she is talking about.

For those who are determined to continue starving themselves, I've been there, done that, got the depressed metabolism and osteoporosis to show for it. Go ahead wreck your bodies, but remember who told you how it could be done sensibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leahsim

G'em, as a moderator you are here to moderate the threads, from what I can see this thread was doing fine until you came along pouring scorn on peoples attempts to try to better themselves.
    Ok so you have worked out just how to live a perfect healthy life but some of us are just starting and if this is the kickstart we need then what is wrong with that, it is our money we are spending, not yours, it is our body and our problem. Yes I am sure an omelette is better for you that a shake but it is the reigme of the diet plan that is working for us, I used to spend €30 a week on sweets and other crap, why not spend it on this instead.
    If you have nothing positive to say about something why not just say nothing atall, moderate from a distance. None of us here are stupid.

Well said....I couldn't have said it better myself. Ge'm take the hint..

Hennybug wrote: »
    And since I have replied you the answer to your question...Cs encourages you to eat Low GI foods that keeps you full for longer. ie. porridge for breakfast etc....

Having just started and abandoned CS you certainly don't have porridge for breakfast, it's a shake for breakfast and lunch and a carb free dinner :confused: The reality is that the shakes are 220 calories, for the same amount of calories you can have porridge for breakfast and a healthy lunch both of which will stand to you way better than the shakes and you don't feel crap after it like i did on the shakes.

If you read from the beginning you would have seen the question that G'em had asked......and then you will see why I answered porridge as an example....

g'em wrote: »
    The Celebrity Slim Diet is a scam worthy of a very high score on the Richter Scale of Bolloxology.

To everyone who has embarked on this 'Diet' I have one question: how do you plan to eat when you come off it?

N.B. 'Healthily' is not the right answer. If you're determined to lose weight, the hard-work starts once you're OFF the shakes and back in the real world. So go on then, write down what you think would be an appropriate days' eating.

How to eat when you come off it....now let me think about that...I put food in my mouth...chew and swallow. Does that answer your question or should I research it a bit more....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Leahsim wrote: »
    How to eat when you come off it....now let me think about that...I put food in my mouth...chew and swallow. Does that answer your question or should I research it a bit more....

Wow. That is probably one of the most childish posts I've ever read on boards.

And well done on avoiding actually answering the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Well said....I couldn't have said it better myself. Ge'm take the hint..

Leah if you're not grown up enough to have a civil discussion I suggest you find somewhere else to post. Infracted and next out of line post will earn you a ban. And no, it doesn't answer anything given that the original request was:
    g'em wrote:
    write down what you think would be an appropriate days' eating.

@hunnymonster - thanks :o The photo is still in the forum somewhere, here's probably not the place for it, and fwiw, your athletic achievements would put most people on the site (nevermind the forum) to shame!! The appreciation is mutual ;)

Fatloss08 I understand where you're coming from, I really do. When this forum was created as a by-product of Fitness there was always a fear that it would turn into a fad-diet forum where people would swap quick-fix tips and other remedies that only temporarily solve the problem without actually making any long-term positive impact, hence the reason why the Charter was put in place to say that these diets wouldn't be actively supported here. I stand by that Charter and when I see too much of this faddy diet shite going on I will wade in and remind people that these diets are not a good idea. The forum is about nutrition, your diet and essentially the impact it has on your health. There's LOTS of information available on these pages to help anyone start making positive changes to their diets, and WeightWatchers is gladly and actively supported and there are a lot of people here who are seeing great results - a quick glance in the Food Diaries will prove that.

As for hurting people, well you are - yourselves. Starvation diets like this only create more problems such as a dulled metabolism like hunnymonster has pointed out.

When you severely restrict your calories your body compensates for that by slowing down your metabolism to a crawl and it's quite difficult to recover from that. So once the shakes are finished and you start to eat 'normally' again, you are highly likely to gain weight again very fast as your metabolism is so sluggish that you can't cope with the extra calories.
    Fatloss08 wrote:
    g'em ur a moderator and this is freedom of speech , we aint hurting anybody or slagging anybody so why come in and make people feel like crap for wanting to try something diff ???? after all its our lives not yours , u said u couldnt givea toss what people lost etc , then why u here ??? people were put on the planet to bodybuild ?? although its good

why do people take protein shakes ???? thats not natural , why not take alot more chicken or fish in ur diet to compensate ???
    Do you realise what you've just said? You've just perfectly parroted what I've been saying all along - why bother with Celebrity Slim shakes when more chicken and fish would give you the extra protein in your diet.

I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm a powerlifter - very different. I haven't drunk a protein shake in months. I don't have a six-pack anymore, but I'm a happy, comfortable, healthy weight. It doesn't come naturally to me, and I've battled an eating disorder for years. If someone wants to try and keep telling me how I haven't got a clue, then they're the one who's severely in the dark.

I know you're not having a go, and neither am I. All I'm doing is calling out CS for the lie that it is. I've been there, and I know that the structure that CS slim provides is so, so alluring. It takes the guess work out of eating. It takes the hassle out of planning meals. It promises quick weight loss, fast. It even provides recipes for the one solid meal you can have each day. It gives you a solid, workable timetable of eating that you can stick to and you don't need to second guess. Other people have used it and written to the manufacturer's to tell them how wonderful it is and how happy they are to have started using and and the manufacturer's, in turn, provide this feedback so that you, the customer, can see the success stories of others and be inspired.

You have no idea how much I "get this". And I know how much of a snotty cow people like me seemed when I was in that situation. But somewhere along the lines I had to break the cycle and start to learn how to cope with my weight on my own and without magic aids.

But what Celebrity Slim does not do is teach you how to eat properly once you're finished. How to cope with or avoid hunger pangs. How to curb the sweet tooth that appears after meals. How to stop snacking in front of the tv. How to learn how to say no to the fourth night on the beer with the lads which invariably includes the trip to a chipper at 2am. How to cope with binges. How to swap crap foods for healthier alternatives. How to read food information labels and know the difference between macronutrient properties. How to structure your eating habits so that you keep yourself metabolically primed. How to get out of the "quick-fix" mentality. How to plan meals.

For anyone who wishes to avail of it I have a proposal. Copy the below template and post in back up with your own answers, give me a few hours and I'll post you up some daily meal plans and food options. I'm not trying to criticise anyone here, I'm only criticising Celebrity Slim. I would have hoped that the pages of information that I provided in the stickies would have shown how much time and effort I've invested int eh forum and that I do, genuinely, care about the people who post here. If you're still in doubt though, fill this in and post in back up.

Height:
    Weight:
    Male/ Female:
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If you can post the photo G'em, they'll see what's possible by eating properly and not following any of these fad tripe diets!

You're a marketer's dream if you actually think this stuff is going to help you in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bubble19

Height: 5'7
    Weight: 200 lbs :(
    Sex: Female
    Activity level per week: 2
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: (Dislikes) Mushrooms,Tomatos, Beans/Peas, Sweetcorn, Lamb, Sometimes peppers although thats kinda changing now thats it i hope!!

Cheers in advance...

Thanks Bubble, I'll get onto that and have something back to you soon. I've edited the orignial template as I forgot to include sex/ age :o Can you let me know those whenever you see this? Thanks!

And those veg dislikes - do you really despise them or can you eat them when they're in stuff?

• Advertisement

Bubble19 wrote: »
    Height: 5'7
    Weight: 200 lbs :(
    Sex: Female
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: (Dislikes) Mushrooms,Tomatos, Beans/Peas, Sweetcorn, Lamb, Sometimes peppers although thats kinda changing now thats it i hope!!

Cheers in advance...

Ok ive edited the above also. Ill tell u what so i really really really hate mushrooms, sweetcorn and peas but the rest are fine in things as u said!!
    Thanks a mill :)

For Bubble19:

Alrighty, so at your height/ weight you need around 2,500 cals per day to maintain the weight your at now. Around 1,700 of those cals are your absolute minimum requirements that your body needs to fuel its most basic functions - anything less than that and you're effectively starving yourself. So to lose weight a daily of intake of around 2,000 cals a day should be perfect. That's also a fairly substantial amount of food so you shouldn't feel excessively hungry.

I imagine one of the greatest parts of the allure of Celebrity Slim is hte structure of it, so lets do something similar here. 2,000clas per day very neatly divides into 5 meals of 400 calories each, or 3 x 500 cal main meals and two 250 cal snacks.

So that's teh first step - you know how big each meal should be. Now, what will those meals consist of?!

All your main meals meal are going to contain one of the following:
    eggs, meat, fish, shellfish, lean dairy (natural yoghurt, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, skimmed milk), unsalted nuts

All these foods have protein, and where weight loss is concerned protein is your BFF! Protein helps fill you up, keeps your metabolism primed (your body has to work hard to break it down) and it's very hard to turn protein into bodyfat.

You're also going to make sure you get a couple of daily servings of good fats:
    nut and seed oils (flax, almond, walnut, olive, macadamia etc. - any and all of these are great. Vegetable and sunflower oil aren't good oils), whole nuts and seeds, avocadoes, oily fish.

Finally you're going to be taking in the vast majority of your carbs in the form of vegetables. You can have some fruit, but not more than two servings per day (simply because it tends to exacerbate a sweet tooth) and also two servings of wholemeal starchy carbs (basmati or brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta) or oats.

No chocolate, no sweets, no crisps, no pizza, no sugary cereals... but all is not lost. Once a week it's totally fine to let rip and have a cheat meal - eat whatever you like and have a big ol' desert with it too. It won't set you back, but it will keep you in tip top psychological shape and you won't mind restricting yourself for the rest of the week :) Just try and do some exercise that day.

I strongly, strongly, strongly urge you to get to know www.fitday.com (or another food log tool) as it's absolutely invaluable for keeping track of htings when you start out. After a while it'll all become second nature.

Breakfast
    Personally my absolutely favourite breakfast is scrambled egg and bacon!

2 large eggs + 2 tsp oil (almond oil goes brilliantly with eggs, it has a lvoely gentle sweet taste) + 2 tbsp grated cheese for the scrambled eggs served with 2 slices of turkey bacon. That comes to 400 cals so it's a perfect choice for you too.

Alternatively you could go for porridge.

1/3 cup oats + 1/2 cup natural yoghurt + 1/2 cup blueberries + tbsp flaked almonds.

Deeee-lish and also 400 cals per serving :D

Snack wise during the morning you could havea serving of unsalted, unroasted nuts (a serving is 10-12 almonds, 8 walnuts, 6 brazil nuts, 15 pistachios) which is around 150 cals along with a yoghurt (be careful with yoghurts, they're often FULL of sugar. Glenisk organic yoghurts are among the best I've found, they do have sugar added but overall they're pretty fine) and a small handful of grapes or another piece of fruit.

Alternatively you could have a couple of Ryvita (or even better some vegetable sticks) and a couple of tbsp of hummous - again look for a high quantity of chickpeas in the ingredients, good hummous will have 70% + chickpeas.

How's this sounding so far? Try and go to www.fitday.com and see can you put together a couple of 500 calorie meals (hint: LOTS of vegetables, they're super low cal and you can eat huge portions of them!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hazeybaby

Height: 5'4
    Weight: 205lbs
    Male/ Female:female
    Activity level per week:1
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: I'm not keen on fish can do the usual cod or tuna or haddock or maybe salmon but anything fishy fishy is out!!

I would love to know how to eat properly and not have to do something like cs to be honest it does terrify me that it could all go back on when I eat properly again!!

But the problem is that eating what I perceive as normally has got me here, so the structure I get from a shake at this time a snack at this time and not much preparation or freedom to deviate too much from the plan is comforting!!

I am going away in three weeks and am unsure as to whether to bring my shakes or to try and eat healthily and take it from there!!

Sounds like you know what your doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

G'em, as a moderator you are here to moderate the threads, from what I can see this thread was doing fine until you came along pouring scorn on peoples attempts to try to better themselves.
    I think it is more "pouring scorn" on these companies using these marketing scams taking advantage of gullible ignorant people. The pseudo-pharmaceutical marketing they use is shameless.

if this is the kickstart we need then what is wrong with that, it is our money we are spending, not yours, it is our body and our problem....
    I used to spend €30 a week on sweets and other crap, why not spend it on this instead.
    I would see it more as a setback then a kickstart. Certainly is not kickstarting your metabolism which is key to achieving and maintaining a healthy fat level. It is your money and I do not like seeing anybody being ripped off, if you have got fair warning and want to squander your cash then that is fine, people are just giving warning against it.
    If you have nothing positive to say about something why not just say nothing at all, moderate from a distance. None of us here are stupid.
    This thread is against the charter rules but was let go on, if this was the electronics forum and people were wondering about getting some mp3 player which was a crap choice should everybody just keep quiet? Do you think people are advising against it just for the sake of argument. Many have been there, done that, and learnt the hard way, and hate to see other people fall for the same scams and crap peddled by these companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

Height: 6"2
    Weight: 284
    Male/ Female: male
    Activity level per week: 1
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: cabbage , cauliflower , sweetcorn , brocolli , garlic , fish ( i know its prob the best thing to eat but cant stomach the taste , years of not having it

hazeybaby wrote: »
    Height: 5'4
    Weight: 205lbs
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: I'm not keen on fish can do the usual cod or tuna or haddock or maybe salmon but anything fishy fishy is out!!
    In your case your maintenance needs would be 2100 cals per day, and 1700 calories per day will be enough to ensure slow, steady weight loss.

Don't stress if you only lose 1-2lb per week, slower is safer and healthier. Needless to say adding in some exercise 3-4 times a week will help a lot!

So again we could look at splitting your meals into calorie blocks
    3 x 400 cal meals and two 250 cal snacks would be perfect. So the same suggestions would apply as for Bubble19.

Lunch/ Dinner options include:

Stir fry: 1 chicken breast + 1/2 tbsp sesame oil + unlimited amounts of carrots, broccoli, mushroom, onion, sprouts + soy sauce

Salmon parcels: place a fillet of salmon on a piece of tin foil and add lemon juice, soy sauce, pinch of salt and some pepper. Loosely wrap the tin foil around the salmon so that it creates a sealed pillow or parcel. Place in the oven at 180C for 15 mins. Serve with broccoli, mange tout, runner beans and half a cup of basmati rice. You can do this with any fish actually, just leave out the soy sauce and add a bit of fish seasoning.

Feta salad (inspired by Cafe Bar Deli - my favourite dish there!): two cups cooked broccoli + half a cup of chickpeas + half a cup of diced feta + a cup of sugar snap peas + plenty of rocket leaves + balsamic vinegar

As with the protein, fat and carb advice above, think about how you're going to structure the meals over the day.

e.g.

B: eggs & bacon: protein and fat
    S: fruit and nuts: fats and carbs
    L: chicken/ salmon salad with a side of wholemeal bread: protein and carbs
    S: veg and hummous: carbs and protein
    D: meat and veg: carbs and protein

Sounds really interesting i never though i could possibly have that much food and still loose weight!
    Breakfast sounds great i like the thought of eating porridge on cold winter morning to heat and fill me up so thats great.
    Glenisk organic yoghurts wouldn'y be my favourite yoghurts how would u feel about the Activia strawberry ones? i ab love them more than a piece of chocolate even! :rolleyes:
    All sounds really well put together you put alot of thought into it. Just checked out the fitday website can't seem to figure it out to be honest, do u just look at ideas of do they give u recipes? Love fish im happy its on the menu is it okay to grill it? Think thats a meal in itself with a side salad!
    Im a bit taken aback by the two sevings of fruit a day i thought it was a great thing to eat but i do see your point about its sweetness!! Is there anything sweet out there thats relatively good for you? How about Jelly?
    One last question could you possibly recommend a few dinner's that would be filling and really tasty or even a decent website that gave me amount of cals in the dish and recipe? Would be a great help.
    Thanks for doing this its much appreciated.
    Bubble ;)

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    Height: 6"2
    Weight: 284
    Male/ Female: male
    Activity level per week: 1
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: cabbage , cauliflower , sweetcorn , brocolli , garlic , fish ( i know its prob the best thing to eat but cant stomach the taste , years of not having it

No broccoli or cauliflower!! Nooo!!

Do me *one* favour and try this recipe: Cup up a batch of broccoli and an equal amount of cauliflower. Chop them finely and add a couple of teaspoons of almond or olive oil (I have a particular love of almond oil, but walnut oil works well with veggies too as it's quite nutty) and some pepper. Use a potato masher and mash it all up. Eat. Go on, try it, it's lovely and very, very un-veggie-ish!

In your case your maintenace cals are around 3,000 per day and 2,500 cals/day should be sufficient for weight loss.

You could go for an even 5 x 500 cal split or you could have 3 x 600 cal big meals and two 350 cal snacks.

The one thing I would absolutely advise everyone at this stage is NOT to sacrifice fat in your diet. I know logic would dictate that eating fat makes you fat but that's only the case if you a) eat bad fats (processed food fats) and b) eat too much of them. Good fats as found in nuts and seeds and their oils actually help you lose fat as they make your body more efficient at metabolising fats.

Fatloss in your case given that you have a fairly substantial frame you can afford to take in a decent amount of starchy carbs but you really, really, really need to start exercising to give yourself a helping hand.

Exercise makes your body better at burning at fat, simple as. A fit person can eat more than an unfot person without having to worry about losing weight.

Here's a dinner idea for you:

A chicken breast + half a tablespoon of olive oil (to fry the chicken with) + a courgette + 4 or 5 spring onions chopped + 1/2 cup feta cheese + half a cup peas and sweetcorn + 1/2 cup made with a veg/ chicken stock cube + a dash of lemon juice.

You'll also be able to afford a much bigger, substantial breakfast. You could have a bowl of berries (bluberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries etc.) and yoghurt alongside your egg or make a homemade smoothie.

Bubble19 wrote: »
    Sounds really interesting i never though i could possibly have that much food and still loose weight!
    I know, it's great isn't it! I think we have a tendency to forget that essentially our bodies are machines, and we need to give them enough fuel to work properly. When you take away too much fuel it just makes it inefficient. Your weight loss won't be as fast as on a fad diet, but it'll be be more consistent and will stay off (mostly becuase you're teaching yourself how to eat right and when you learn that, youre waaaay less likely to eat junk again and you'll automatically make the right choices!
    Bubble19 wrote:
    Breakfast sounds great i like the thought of eating porridge on cold winter morning to heat and fill me up so thats great.
    oh it's so yum - another favourite of mine is cooking the oats (two minutes in the microwave with double the volum of oats' worth of water seems to work for me i.e. half a cup of oats and one cup of water, bung in the microwave for two minutes at high power), then add a bit of milk, some raisins and some cinnamon - eat it with a big mug of tea by your side :)
    Bubble19 wrote:
    Glenisk organic yoghurts wouldn'y be my favourite yoghurts how would u feel about the Activia strawberry ones? i ab love them more than a piece of chocolate even! :rolleyes:
    just check the label - if it has sugar, dextrose, fructose or corn syrup as one of hte first three ingredients it'll be v. high in sugar. But it's still better than eating chocolate so don't worry about it!
    Bubble19 wrote:
    Just checked out the fitday website can't seem to figure it out to be honest, do u just look at ideas of do they give u recipes?
    You have to input the foods one by one. So for each of these posts for example I've been inputting the foods one by one and then it adds up all the calories and grams of fat/ protein/ carbs for you. It even tells you what your % breakdown is for each one each day and you can keep a daily food log. Each day is a new page of food. It takes some getting used to but it's worth it.
    Bubble19 wrote:
    Love fish im happy its on the menu is it okay to grill it? Think thats a meal in itself with a side salad!
    Brilliant way to eat it! Grilling is soooper healthy. Schwartz do a lovely fish seasoning too, you buy it in a jar alongside all the other herbs and spices, and I love it on white fish especially.
    Bubble19 wrote:
    Im a bit taken aback by the two sevings of fruit a day i thought it was a great thing to eat but i do see your point about its sweetness!!
    I know, it's a bit disheartening. Fruit is still really good for you, just not too much. Veg is better (of course :rolleyes::p). There's also new research to show that the fructose (sugar) in fruit is very easily turned to fat so and excess of fruit is no different to having too many sweets in your diet.
    Bubble19 wrote:
    Is there anything sweet out there thats relatively good for you? How about Jelly?
    Good thinking Batman- sugar-free jelly is a *great* treat to have every so often. Every few weeks I'll make myself some sugar free jelly and it last for a few days, it's perfect for curing a sweet craving a few spoons (a small bowlful) is enough to curb it without ruining your efforts.
    Bubble19 wrote:
    One last question could you possibly recommend a few dinner's that would be filling and really tasty or even a decent website that gave me amount of cals in the dish and recipe? Would be a great help.
    I'm actually crap at recipes :o But the one thing I do is when I'm planning dinner, I start with the meat and I work from there. I'll think of a meat I want to eat and tehn add the veg accordingly. You can also look at recipes of various websites and manually work out what their calorie content is - I know, I know, that sounds like such a pain but it's a great way to get used to how many calories are in different foods. If you have to cut things out of the recipe though always start by cutting down/ out the starchy carbs - rice, pasta, potatoes etc. Keep the veg and meat where possible.
    Bubble19 wrote:
    Thanks for doing this its much appreciated.
    Bubble ;)
    No bodger, glad to help. Why don't you search for a recipe you think you mgiht like and see can you figure out what the cal content is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pink08

Height: 5'6
    Weight: 76 kgs
    Male/ Female: female
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: not mad on fish

G'em I know you're 100 percent right! Cs is not sustainable as a way of life. And I think i knew that as i reached for the box in the shop but i was just at the end of my rope and feeling ****e about myself and i supose i was looking for a quick fix. And it delivered but i know i need to change my whole habits if i'm ever gonna me happy with myself! I've abandoned the program and gonna sort msyself out once and 4 all! This is a great forum and resource for ppl and i'm gonna use it to get all the info and support i need!

pink08 wrote:
    Cs is not sustainable as a way of life. And I think i knew that as i reached for the box in the shop but i was just at the end of my rope and feeling ****e about myself and i supose i was looking for a quick fix.
    y'know, we all feel like that sometimes, and it sucks arsicle it really does :o I think that's where resources like the forum come in handy - I come in here and remind myself that there are so many other people struggling and it's something we all have to face. But having said that, there's no point in seeing food as the enemy - food is wonderful!! Like Bubble19 said earlier, a bowl of warm porridge on a cold winter morning is so comforting, and a bowl of fresh fruit si a brilliant pick-me-up. Stir fries made up of vegetables under every colour under the sun genuinely make me smile, and the contrast of crunch peppers and sweet onions and the salty soy sauce is fab. I know, I know, how much of a food nerd could I be :o but it really helps me to feel better about myself to enjoy all the foods I eat.

Aaaanyways...!!
    pink08 wrote: »
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 76 kgs
    Male/ Female: female
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: not mad on fish
    Juding by those stats I'd imagine you're not actually very overweight but you just want to shed a few reamining niggling lbs? You probably want to lose around 5 or 6 kilo's and you'd feel much happier?

In that case I think you could go for something a little more drastic. When you have pockets of unwanted fat it can be difficult to shift, so you need to give your body a bit of a shake up. Your maintenance cals are around 2,400 per day and 1,900 - 2,000 per day should be fine for losing weight.

Pick one meal for each day and make that the only msal you can have one (cooked) cup of starchy carbs. All the other food you eat during the day will be meat, eggs, some dairy, nuts, seeds, some berries, a small amount of fruit and lots and lots of vegetables.

You're very similar stat-wise to me actually so I'm used to planning those meals! I'd normally go for something like this:

B: scrambled egg
    S: strawberries and some almonds or some pineapple and blueberries
    L: roast veg and chicken/ turkey or pork steak
    S: chopped pepper/ carrot/ onion and some some natural peanut butter or cottage cheese
    D: meat/ fish and lots and lots of veg (cauliflower/ broccoli mash often)

I'll generally have my carbs with dinner on a gym day and if it's a non-gym day I'll try to do without them. If I'm ravenously hungry I'll have a piece of fruit or some nuts and I'll liberally drink tea during the day (with skimmed milk).

Keep your cals up but drop the starchy carbs and I guarantee you'll see results fast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pink08

Thanks for that G'em I shall give it a go! Defo good advice about the carbs i really just don't think they suit me!

I would actually consider myself quite overweight with quite a high bodyfat % which is something i would also like to bring down. I've always struggled with my weight and at my heaviest i weighed 14 & half stone:eek: And i've been drifing at this weight for a good while now so its time to kick it up a few gears and make a few changes! So I really just want to get down to a weight and body shape that i'm happy with! I really have to do this for myself! Plan is to get my diet in order over the next 2 weeks and then start hitting the gym! Thanks a mill for your help!:D Stickies are very helpful too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Once you educate yourself about foods and nutrition you will be laughing all the way down a few sizes, good luck with it.

Thanks Gem, I think in theory we all know what is healthy to eat and to cut the carbs etc but its just taking the plunge giving up the crutch of the shakes and accepting another failure on the list before embarking on something new!!:eek:

Im on cs since 21st of July and have not had weight dropping off me at all it seems to be at a sustainable level right now Iv only lost 12lbs in that time!

Do you think in the long term it is unhealthy to try and shift some of the weight before embarking on the healthy eating regime for life!!

It just seems so daunting to have such a long road to go you know?? If I only lost a pound a week I would be fat forever haha!!!:)

Thanks Gem, I think in theory we all know what is healthy to eat and to cut the carbs etc but its just taking the plunge giving up the crutch of the shakes and accepting another failure on the list before embarking on something new!!:eek:
    Yup, it's frickin hard to do this. And yeah, everyone does know the theory, and knows the theory is right, but damn the theory is hard and it's only natural to be tempted by the promsie of an easier option.
    hazeybaby wrote:
    Im on cs since 21st of July and have not had weight dropping off me at all it seems to be at a sustainable level right now Iv only lost 12lbs in that time!
    Without knowing the ins and outs of your eating/ drinking habits there could be a few reasons for this but your lack of exercise would be a big factor. Also, if you're seriously undereating on CS your metabolism will slow itself right down and adapt to the new low cal regime making it harder and harder to lose any weight. Again, not exercising comopounds that and your metabolism will get sluggish and very depressed.
    hazeybaby wrote:
    Do you think in the long term it is unhealthy to try and shift some of the weight before embarking on the healthy eating regime for life!!
    Good question, not an easy answer. I think the methods being used here are unhealthy. I don't know what's in the Celebrity Slim shakes but if you wanted to go down the meal replacement route I personally think that you'd be better off sticking with a good quality, plain old whey concentrate protein supplement. The problem I have with things like CS is that they don't actually teach you how to eat right and while it's indisputable that you'll lose weight while on it, it's almost certain that you'll put ALL that weight back on AND more when you return to your previous unhealthy eating habits.

In essence I don't have a problem with rapid short-term weight loss if it's done with the right after-planning, which, by the looks of things, most people don't have. And I don't think CS is the right vehicle for doing that fast fat loss either. The after-planning is the hard part, and if I can help in any way with that I'll be delighted. Like I said - this is hard and I understand that!

The 1-2lb is a general figure - if you're quite overweight to begin with, a lot of it will come off quite fast, even with the traditional "healthy" wholefood plan. By exercising and eating right you're teaching your body to be more efficient. Quick fixes make it more ineffecient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

im actually really jealous to be honest im on cs for nearly four weeks and have lost around 10 pounds and in comparison to what other ppl are losing that is terrible :mad:- please tell me what im doing wrong.

You are losing over 2lb per week, this is more than the usual recommended 1-2lb per week. I would be more worried about you losing it too fast, losing muscle along with the fat. Unless you are huge you should be aiming for 1-2lb, I personally would say 1/2lb per week is better, I dropped at that weight and have kept it off, didnt mess up my metabolism, actually since I took up resistance training my metabolism has increased and I get away with drinking and eating a lot without any fat gain.

thanks for the help!!I really just started this to lose some weight for my holidays quick start it I had previously been on ww for a couple of weeks and lost 4 pound but changed to this hoping it would come off quicker and then I could go back to ww when i have lost some!!but the thing i find with ww is that you are obsessed with food think about it constantly!!

Really it hasnt been more than two lb a week the first week i lost five and three quarter pounds and the second two and three quarter so the rest was really small losses!!

I know with exercise it would come off quicker but because I am so overweight and a smoker I find it really hard to start because my fitness levels are so poor!!I did join a gym and just found my trainer too harsh and was really paronoid of being a sweaty out of breath mess when all of these other really fit people are around me!!stupid I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Height: 5'8.5
    Weight: 264lbs
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: I'm not keen on fish can do the usual cod or tuna or haddock or maybe salmon but anything fishy fishy is out!! (Thanks hazybaby- nicely put!), also don't like avocados, melon, kiwis, lamb, most fruit except apples & pears, but on the upside LOVE all vegs!!!

Hi G'em, seems like you are giving out some really good advice here. I have been on CS for around a week now, I use the shakes/soups to give my day some structure but am eating LOADS of really healthy stuff too!

For example, today I had:

B: shake with coffee
    S: small tin tuna with cheese, celery & LF mayo mixed
    L: actually skipped this as was out last night & had a late start, still stuffed after my yummy snack! Usually would have a CS soup though
    D: pork chops with mushrooms, courgettes & celery kinda stir-fried with LS soy sauce & chilli
    S: fat & sugar free gelo type desert
    S: small apple & handfull of wallnuts

I have a lot of weight to lose and having a strict structure I find really does help me, in other parts of my life too. I find that if I dont have that I tend to really over-eat, it may be 'good' food (ie meat & veg stir-fry) but I just can't stop even when I feel stuffed...

I also eat a lot when emotional or bored etc which is a point no-one has brought up yet- being over-weight is NOT only about having bad food habits or ignorance (in the pure sense of the word) but a lot of people (me!!!) use food as a drug to self-medicate through tough times, it's a friend and is something comfortable and familiar...

I know the right/sensible way to eat & know well how to read a lable & what to look out for etc, I cut all 'white' food out of my diet a long time ago, but the weight keeps creeping back on (I lost 4 stone 2/3 years ago), I lost this weight through the Cambridge Diet which is TOTAL food replacement.

I am hoping that by now eating small high protein/veg meals regularly I will be able to speed my metabolism up again?

Thanks for, in advance, any help you can give me!!!

iPink wrote: »
    Height: 5'8.5
    Weight: 264lbs
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies: I'm not keen on fish can do the usual cod or tuna or haddock or maybe salmon but anything fishy fishy is out!! (Thanks hazybaby- nicely put!), also don't like avocados, melon, kiwis, lamb, most fruit except apples & pears, but on the upside LOVE all vegs!!!
    Hi iPink :)

Alrighty so in your case your maintenance calories will be approx 2,500 a day and eating 2,000 cals per day will help you lose weight. Although this may seem like very little there's a few factors working to your disadvantage:

Your age - once women (and to a slightly lesser extent men) hit 30 your metabolism takes a real knock and slows down. This is mostly due to the natural loss of lean muscle as you age - "muscle mass declines with age, resulting in decreased muscular strength and endurance". "For each decade after the age of 25, 3-5 % of muscle mass is lost" American Sports. Council 2003 Unfortunately this means that you need fewer calories to sustain you each day.

But there is a way to combat this...

Your lack of exercise - as your muscle begins to diminish, there's no physical activity being done to maintain it or slow down the process. If you exercised each week it would help keep your metabolism higher and you'd be able to eat more.

However, I'm very aware that when you're overweight this can become a catch 22 situation: when you're very heavy, exercise is very hard. You become demotivated and disinclined to do it, and will often comfort eat to make you feel better.

But exercise doesn't necessarily mean working up a godawful sweat and grunting like a beast in the gym. Walking is fantastic, doing bodyweight exercises at home is incredibly effective, home-workout DVD's get your heart pumping and you can maintain your own pace, gardening, cycling, yoga, salsa dancing - anything that gets you moving around can be considered exercise.

I'm glad you brought up the emotional side of eating as it's something that a lot of people are afraid to talk about, but it's often the number one reason why people find it hard to lose weight.

Food = comfort, something to fill the void when you're feeling low. When everything around you is painful and bleak food offers you an instant hit of happiness. Believe me, having spent the last few weeks eating my bodyweight in tubs of Ben and Jerry's while going through a particularly rough break-up I know what this feels like :o

But here's the thing: you know that phrase "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels"?

I hate that phrase!! It's patronising and overly simplistic but there's an element to it that rings true.

As most people on this thread will testify to, routine is your friend when you're trying to lose weight. Effectively you are creating habits that are easy to stick to and you don't have to think about. You're habituating: "habituation is an example of non-associative learning in which there is a progressive diminution of behavioral response probability with repetition of a stimulus. Habituation is the point at which responding ceases."

So think about it like this: when you comfort eat you have habitually taught yourself that eating sugar and/ or fatty foods = happiness.

Well, how amazing would it be if you could teach yourself that healthy food = happiness? And that is, essentially, how people who eat good food in the long term manage to do it so succesfully. It's not necessarily that being slim = happy, it's the sense of accomplishment, enrichment and assurance that comes with eating well that makes you happy. Knowing that you're giving your body the best food you can possibly give it that makes you happy.

Sugary processed foods are, literally toxic. If I was to say to you that drinking alcohol 6 times a day, every day, with an extra pig-out of four bottles of wine every Saturday night was inf act bad for your health the general consensus would more than likely be "Well, duh!".

Eating crap food is no different. When you neglect to give your body wholesome, nutritious foods you are depriving it of the things that make it work right. It got to the stage where I was reading so many articles about how bad sugar really is for you that something in my head just clicked and I started to see junk foods for what they really are. It's very, very hard to find comfort in something when you know that it's only going to make you feel worse, not better.

I know, I know, a lot of what I'm saying sounds very idealistic and possibly even high-horsey but I've seen this process happening time and time again in the people who make the changes and successfully lose weight in the long-run. It's about so much more than just adopting a shake regime, you really have to change your whole attitude and line of thinking about food. For example, I had someone ask me in a PM yesterday if it was possible to eat their veg as a shake as they didn't really like the taste of veg much. Well... that's kind of my point. If you have to drink some nasty-assed concoction of raw vegetables every day you're hardly going to stick to it in the long term :o But I'd also put the challenge out there: how do you really know if you don't like something? One of the amazing things I found when I began to eat better was just how much food I actually enjoyed the taste of, even though I'd vehemently convinced myself it was the food of the devil. Two years ago avocados were over-sized slimy green yokes that would make me gag on sight. But when I actually tasted one I discovered that they're actually creamy, rich and comforting - one of my favourite healthy comfort foods is home-made guacamole.

So, iPink, in your case you actually have it easier than most given that you love vegetables (we'll work on the avocados in time :p). As before, with 2,000 calories to play with you cna break that down into 5 x 400 cal meals or you have 3 x 500 meals and 2 x 250 cal snacks.

What I tend to do is create lots of options with those calorie allowances, so I'll have a list made up of 400 cal meals and 500 cal meals and I can pick and choose whichever one I feel like on a given day.

But remember, always have protein with each of your main meals and eat as many vegetables (except potatoes) as you want to. As fruits go apples and pears are pretty decent for weight loss so one of each a day would be hunkeydory.

Oh, and I should note, all that Ben and Jerry's was so not worth it - I'm now sporting a delightful breakout of spots and gained an inevitable few lbs from my month of the seefood diet and lack of anythign more strenuous than walking five minutes to and from the train station each morning :o

But after getting back to my usual wholefood eating self in the last few days I'm already feeling better, my skin will improve by the weekend and I should shift the jiggle in a couple of weeks. So yeah, I'm by no means perfect at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cherryb

I started to read this thread feeling quite positive about trying CS as I have tried several other diets over my 42 years and have failed.
    I understand G'em you have been where we are and managed to sort it out yourself and you do seem very knowledgable, but my god I have never heard a person rip people apart the way you did earlier on in this thread. I dont know what enjoyment you get out of putting people down, but maybe you need to take a look back at when you were at a place where these people are now, including myself and think how you might have felt if you were spoken to in this way.
    I dont think I have ever come across somebody as self rightgeous as you and your followers. I will now be logging out and never logging in again, but felt I had to let you know how I felt.
    A bit of compassion and understanding goes a long way. Get a life and stopped making yourself feel better by putting other people down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

"A bit of compassion and understanding goes a long way"
    Have you not read the previous 2 posts?

I have Mags16, have your read back to pages, 6,7,8 - the compassion G'em showed those guys was NIL.

I'm not on here to put anybody down, I was actually reading the thread this morning for support and felt compelled to join in and speak my mind on the way C slimmers were being spoken to. Just to point out that everybody in this world is different and if we want to use CS it's our choice, G'em doesn't have to comment, same way we wouldn't comment on what G'em does, as you can see none of the people that were earlier discussing their good weight losses etc, have posted since, I think they have found a more friendly, supportive forum.

I find it hilarious that someone who accuses me of self-righteousness starts their post with a winky smiley.
    Cherryb wrote: »
    I'm not on here to put anybody down,
    That's exactly what you've done Cherryb, you've come here and called me self-righteous, uncompassionate and told me to get a life. That's personal abuse in anyone's book and people in glass houses etc. etc.

I've little regard for the product and, as has already been stated numerous times, this forum does not actively support fad diets. If CS users have indeed found another forum to talk about it then good for them and I wish them the best.

But Cherryb, that kind of posting simply isn't on and unless you have something to contribute to the forum as opposed to coming here to slate me then I suggest you move on to pastures new.

Actually G'em you are right, I agree with you, I have done exactly what you did earlier and I feel bad about that, that's what being spoken down to does to you I sappose.
    As you say this is obviously not a forum for CS people and I'm not getting into all this as I'm trying to stay focused on CS and this forum is of no help at all.
    I hope you manage to stay focused in what you do and wish you the best of luck, your comments have only made me more determined to stick to CS - so thank you you have helped me after all

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Hi G'em,

Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into the reply you made out for me, I really do appreciate it.

I too had some issues with some of your posts earlier on but then I saw that you genuinely do care about the people on here and the posts you reply to them take a lot of time and effort, so fair play to ya.

I do consider myself an intelligent person and I know that what you are saying is so right but here's the thing; when I am alone at night and the darkness is starting to creep in with all the inevitable monsters it contains the thought of 'being slim' has so little effect on me that I wouldnt care if I were 50 stone as long as I can get that drug in my mouth and feel better at that moment......
    Course, inevitably I beat myself up over it and then the guilt comes in which only makes me want to eat more to dull that pain.... and the circle continues.... sound familiar to anyone lol??

As you so rightly point out my age is against me (waaaaaaaaaa) lol but unfortunately the monsters in my head have been with me for the last 35 years too and by God are they claiming squatters rights.... I am working HARD at trying to shift those f*****s but they have long claws and are holding on for dear life!!!

As a wise person once said (my sister lol) over-eating is about SO much more than what you put in your mouth!! I am a Psychology student with a major in addiction studies and hope to use my degree to work with people with food addictions eventually, maybe, as it is so close to my heart and this is exactly what I see it as.... addiction.... and unfortunately it is one of the only things that one can be addicted to without the possibility of going 'cold turkey'... but however I see something like CS as being the next best alternative to just that.

I have upmost respect for you and anyone that has managed to sort their emotional and physical problems out and got a handle on it and I am so sorry for what you have been through in the last few weeks, a break-up is always painful, the best thing you can do in these times is try to just focus on yourself, it's hard to do when you have lost someone you care for deeply. Be kind to yourself.

Take care x

Thanks iPink, that was a really love post.

Believe me, I know how much I pissed people off, it use to annoy me no end when the same stuff was said to me. If I kept everyone happy all the time I'd be doing something wrong :p

The daemons haven't ever completely gone away for me (do they ever?) and I still have up and down days. For me there was no one thing that helped me get things (mostly) under control, it was a series of small things.

I went to a couple of bodywhys.ie meetings, I learnt a bit more about nutrition, I took up exercise, actually one things that really helped curb night-time snacking was knitting!! Seriously, just having my hands busy kept me occupied enough not to think about food. Similarly having a laptop plonked on my knees helps in the same way too. It means I've turned into an intarweb nerd but no harm :D

You'll find that a lot of people can empathise with what you wrote, but it is possible to get a handle on things, even if it takes a while and a few false starts to do so. Even just openly speaking about it will inspire people and rally support so kudos on your honesty and openness.

G'em I wanted to say thank you to for trying to educate us!!

Realistically I think the reason offence was taken originally is that we all actually know that this is not the healthiest way to go about doing this and would love to be able to do it in a healthier way but while its working its hard to listen to the reality!!

I think the people who took most offence were people really new to the diet who still feel really passionate about it haha!!

I am aware this is not the long term fix and intend 100% to do it until holidays and see how I get on there and maybe go back on it for a while when I come home but inevitably to get my act together and do it properly!!

As far as emotional eating goes I think anybody with a weight problem is familiar with that - I put pretty much all of my weight on after I had something horrendous happen to me at seventeen!!I am aware of that and maybe that is what I need to address to fix it long term!

But what you were saying about knitting is really good and I can definitely relate to the laptop!!!Boredom eating is definitely the worst!!

I hope this gets easier for you and you start to feel better!!At least you are aware that the ben and jerrys was self medicating and have tried to get away from that!!

God if only I had known then!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

In relation to what G'em said about boredom eating, the best thing you can do is occupy yourself, keep yourself busy and be prepared.

I'm a sucker for getting up on a Saturday/Sunday, more than likely with a dirty hangover and lounging around for the day. I'll probably venture to the shop and get a calorific roll, sweets and crisps and just stuff my face for the day whilst feeling crap and watching tv episodes.

After I've started back in the gym and eating a bit healthier I find myself wanting to do things in the evening. Cleaning was never my strong point but I actually managed to get off my ass and make my ensuite spick and span last night and I hoovered out my computer! - Yes you read that right, I've a dusty fecker of a house (stupid carpet) so the fans get clogged. I'm basically picking a room a day to clean, my brother is pretty shít at house-work and I usually used that as an excuse for me not doing any. Now I don't care what he does/doesn't do as long as the rooms I use are clean!

Be active, eat healthy and it will reflect itself in you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

I had been reading this thread for a while and it was irritating the hell out of me so I stopped, similar to g'em and hunnymonster I couldn't read people congratulating themselves for doing something like this to their bodies.

@ g'em - I'm astounded at your patience and selflessness in helping people in general but this time you've really outdone yourself. You must get no actual work done during the day!

@ the other guys who have taken g'ems advice and made the positive changes she has advised I wish you all the best of luck. Once you start doing that you will surprise yourself with what you can achieve - it'll be the best decision you ever made.

• Advertisement

Realistically I think the reason offence was taken originally is that we all actually know that this is not the healthiest way to go about doing this and would love to be able to do it in a healthier way but while its working its hard to listen to the reality!!
    Hit the nail on the head there. We're human beings, you can't fault someone for wanting to get the best results in the short amount of time. Unfortunately though, CS won't get you the best results, and while it might take a short time, the results are also short term. Like I said, been there, done that, bought the XXL t-shirt!
    hazeybaby wrote:
    I am aware this is not the long term fix and intend 100% to do it until holidays and see how I get on there and maybe go back on it for a while when I come home but inevitably to get my act together and do it properly!!
    Well when you do feel ready to get things back on track be sure to come back and share - even better, why not start a Food Diary to keep yourself accountable and get some moral support?
    hazybaby wrote:
    But what you were saying about knitting is really good and I can definitely relate to the laptop!!!Boredom eating is definitely the worst!!
    I have about 4 spare sacrves lying around the house if anyone's interested... :p
    hazybaby wrote:
    I hope this gets easier for you and you start to feel better!!At least you are aware that the ben and jerrys was self medicating and have tried to get away from that!!
    I'm doing really well now, thank you, life is good. The wisest phrase I've ever heard, and the one that's become my mantra for times like that, is simply: This Too Shall Pass. And y'know what, it always does ;)
    Slaanesh wrote: »
    After I've started back in the gym and eating a bit healthier I find myself wanting to do things in the evening. Cleaning was never my strong point but I actually managed to get off my ass and make my ensuite spick and span last night and I hoovered out my computer!...

Be active, eat healthy and it will reflect itself in you.
    lol, yup energy is self-perpetuating. The more active you are, the more active you will want to be. Plus when you start being kind to yourself (which is, effectively exercise is - you're giving your body something back by making it more efficient) you'll find yourself becoming more efficient in other ways too. Your humour improves, your moods stay on an even keel, your sleep quality improves and you find that you just want to live a richer quality of life. It's great :)
    mack1 wrote: »
    @ g'em - I'm astounded at your patience and selflessness in helping people in general but this time you've really outdone yourself. You must get no actual work done during the day!
    Thank you :o I'm a fast typer, it helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Hi,

I have been following this thread and I most definitely agree with G'em...as I am long time dieter and only recently through the advice of this forum ( Many thanks all) I have started to lose weight and maintain that weight loss. I lost 25lbs took me almost eight months but in comparison to the fads diet many of which Ive tried this appears to be staying off, even if I do have bad weeks.
    Anyway my question is whats in celebrity slim that they claim it aids weightloss? As in have they something special in them in comparison to another drink with same calories ie like loads of protein etc? and are they all the same with different names, Lipotrim,slimfast etc

jessie37 wrote: »
    as I am long time dieter and only recently through the advice of this forum ( Many thanks all) I have started to lose weight and maintain that weight loss. I lost 25lbs took me almost eight months but in comparison to the fads diet many of which Ive tried this appears to be staying off, even if I do have bad weeks.
    Congrats!! 25lb is a huge loss, it takes dedication and determination, so many kudos to you ;)
    jessie37 wrote:
    Anyway my question is whats in celebrity slim that they claim it aids weightloss? As in have they something special in them in comparison to another drink with same calories ie like loads of protein etc? and are they all the same with different names, Lipotrim,slimfast etc
    Honestly, there's nothing special about CS shakes at all. They're protein based powders, much like the ones that people drink at the gym.

Most of those powders are whey-based. Whey is a protein that's found in milk, and it's produced as a by-product of cheese making (Little Miss Muffet, sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey!) - when milk starts to curdle and teh solids are removed, the remaining liquid is largely composed of whey; it's dried and conentrated and turned into powder form.

The great thing about this whey (and one of the primary reasons why athletes take it) is that the protein is of extremely high quality and has a lot of health benefits. From a fat-loss point of view it's also great because it's naturally low in carbs and fat, so you can drink it as "safe" calories (as long as you stay within your daily quota!

The thing is, because the product details are provided for CS (at least not that I can see) you have no idea of the whey content of the powder. If I'm buying a whey powder I'll look for one that's 90% + pure protein, but CS could be (probably is) much less and bulked up with fillers to make it cheaper.

Also, in the case of dieters, using shakes can be difficult, because it's still not addressing the root cause of why you're overweight. Like I said earlier in the thread, shakes are a great aid for staying in shape, but they're best used in addition to a great diet, not instead of one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Thanks G'em that was very helpful. I do like shakes that are quick and easy to make, can you recommend something that I could maybe have as a quick drink in the morning get the metabolism going before I leave the house as I usually dont have time to make anything that takes time on week days. I usually just have a banana until porridge at 10am.

A banana, a handful of strawberries or blueberries and a natural yoghurt is a great pick me up to keep you goin first thing in the morning - it's low in fat, has protein, the banana will give you some energy and the berries are jammed with healthy antioxidants. You could also hard boil some eggs the night before and eat one on the go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 roxy2310

hi all, im on lipotrim at the moment, my 1st week weigh in is monday but i am struggling like crazy, the whole thing with exercise and losing weight is that i have rumathoid arthreitus so exercise is not that easy for me.
    :):) but im determined to lose this bloody weight wanna be under 11 stone and im on 12'3 at the moment
    g'em i see you sing us to ive out stats and you may be able to work out some plan
    here are mine
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 170lbs/ 12'3
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies:not allergic to anything but i dont like tuna or fish, :(:(:(:( i love veg though

roxy2310 wrote: »
    Weight: 170lbs/ 12'3
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies:not allergic to anything but i dont like tuna or fish, :(:(:(:( i love veg though

Hi roxy :)

Obviously the rheumatoid arthritis is going to have an impact on how much exercise you do, but gentle exercise and staying relatively active should help with management of RA and its symptoms. Walking, stretching, swimming and conditioning classes are all things you could look into. By strengthening your muscles and joints you will hopefully be able to see improvements and, of course, it'll help you maintain a healthy weight.

To maintain your current weight you would need to take in approx. 2,300 cals per day, and in order to lose weight you would need to take in about 1,900 cals per day using the eating guidelines outlined on the thread and in the stickies.

As with most of us, a routine and a regime will be appealing, so plan to have 5 meals spread throughout the day. If you love veg you can fill up on all manner of salads and cooked or raw vegetables, and snacking on vegetable sticks will help curb cravings.

Aim to have a high veg meal at lunch and dinner with a portion of meat included (a portion is a chicken breast or a big chop), snack on nuts, seeds and fruit and for breakfast try to avoid sugary cereals and instead go for no added sugar muesli or porridge or eggs.

What was your eating like before you went on Lipotrim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fungirly

Weight: 187
    Activity level per week:3
    1 = sedentary
    2 = mildly active
    3 = moderately active
    4 = highly active
    Particular Food Dislikes or Allergies:Like everything all meat and veg, I can;t stomach porridge , the texture makes me ill.

I am active enough enjoy walking and swimming just and I just need motivation to keep it up. I play golf and tennis to. I have tried Lipotrim , optifast before but can not stick to anything, I ahve a good enough diet but I think my portions are too big and I also find I eat too many bags of crisps , I am always hungry too.
    Any advice or suggestion would be very much appreciated .
    Thanks
    Ps love to cook and love food :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

.. The quicker you lose weight the faster you will but it back on!! Celebrity slim is just a quick fix diet that definately is not a long term option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 emmaf86

Started CS 5 days ago, and haven't noticed much in the form of side effects like sugar cravings, tiredness and head aches.so don't think it's working?:confused: i stupidly didn't weigh myself when I started but hav a fair idea of what I was. Don't need to lose much so i s'pose the process will be slower. Has anyone tried the bars, what are they like? And for those who have been on it longer, have u suffered side effects at all? Thanx :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement