Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son cannot get job in Sydney

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm sure most knew what it meant, and that it was a bit of exaggeration.
    But at the same time, "You have no idea whats being going on...I work for an Australian company", was a ridiculous reaction to somebody who is actually in Australia.

You have taken that out of context, I meant you have no idea the affect this has had on me, yes possibly an over protective mother (actually no doubt) but I know there were days when he had no money for food. He is also having terrible problems with constant toothache and used his savings to go to the dentist. But too much work to be done on them (2 root canals) so has to wait til he gets back home. Also what I meant when I said I worked for an Australian company was that two of my colleagues where over there and met up with him and they agreed with the heat and the rest. Obviously someone who lives there would know exactly what its like...

At the end of the day he went to Australia with limited knowledge of life but to my joy has learned of mild hardship eg how to live on very little money and how to worry about paying next weeks rent. All good in my view !

Again thanks for all the help I got on boards.....

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats a labourer earning in Sydney these days if you dont mind me asking?

He is earning 25.00 dollars an hour..

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Which crowd did he end up with?? If you don't mind my asking

He ended up with http://www.conrec.com.au/ . He is getting around 4 days work a week, but he says other agencies are coming back to him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

reeta wrote: »
    I work for an Australian company

Harvey Norman?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

He is earning 25.00 dollars an hour..

Thats around 16 euro an hour. Think ill head to Australia myself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Thats around 16 euro an hour. Think ill head to Australia myself :pac:
    A pint in Australia cost around €7, don't get me started on rent!!!!

(yes I know you can get cheaper pints on special but they're usually some sh*te like charlton that's intentionally super chilled so your tastebuds are numbed to how like piss it really is)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

He ended up with http://www.conrec.com.au/ . He is getting around 4 days work a week, but he says other agencies are coming back to him now.

Mark & Nathan (Owners of conrec) are top boys, they look after their lads, if your son is a good worker they will give him the best work on the best sites. I was able to get 60hrs + a week with them working for some really good contractors.

Chris___ wrote: »
    Harvey Norman?

How did you guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

catbear wrote: »
    A pint in Australia cost around €7, don't get me started on rent!!!!

(yes I know you can get cheaper pints on special but they're usually some sh*te like charlton that's intentionally super chilled so your tastebuds are numbed to how like piss it really is)
    Where do you live?
    $10/11 a pint is well above what I'd consider normal price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Where do you live?

You would probably consider a Pint in PJs O'briens in Sydney CBD is $8-$8.50 which is about €5.50 as normal.

Maybe Catbear is just being..... eh Catbear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There are plenty of places around me that will do pints of good beer for $8. Spaten is lovely stuff.
    Decent Guinness can be had for $6-7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wow - it's funny to see the same posters just being nasty in pretty much every thread they post in.

I'm glad your son found work though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can you just head to Sydney and sign up with one of those agencies if you've never worked on a site and have no construction qualifications or do they only want experienced people?

Where do you live?
    Perth prices. The worst I heard of was $16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Thanks for the replies and contacts. He rang the names given by a couple of people here and I am glad to say he working away doing labouring work at the moment. As he said "you cant beat mixing cement in 40 degree heat":D But
    at least all his bills are paid and I can stop transferring money into this account !! Again many thanks for the contacts :)

Great to see some good networking through boards.ie put to good effect. People are always willing to help, this just creates a mechanism for them to do so.

Chris___ wrote: »
    Harvey Norman?

what has that got to do with anything? She doesn't need to say what the company is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

dixiefly wrote: »
    Great to see some good networking through boards.ie put to good effect. People are always willing to help, this just creates a mechanism for them to do so.

Agree, well done to everyone involved in getting the lad some work.

Boards is an amazing site at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Well done Reeta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You have taken that out of context, I meant you have no idea the affect this has had on me, yes possibly an over protective mother (actually no doubt) but I know there were days when he had no money for food. He is also having terrible problems with constant toothache and used his savings to go to the dentist. But too much work to be done on them (2 root canals) so has to wait til he gets back home. Also what I meant when I said I worked for an Australian company was that two of my colleagues where over there and met up with him and they agreed with the heat and the rest. Obviously someone who lives there would know exactly what its like...

At the end of the day he went to Australia with limited knowledge of life but to my joy has learned of mild hardship eg how to live on very little money and how to worry about paying next weeks rent. All good in my view !

Again thanks for all the help I got on boards.....

I understand your concern, but, seriously, the hardship will do him the world of good.

Years and years ago when I was in uni, 8 of us went over to Boston to work for the summer. I had worked the previous summer on the Jersey Shore and made a fortune waitressing, so thought it would be the same again. We did absolutely no research, and found it really hard. Didn't get work for week and when we did pay wasn't the best. Eight of us spent in sleeping bags in a two room apartment which had mice (or at least we chose to believe they were mice....).

As a result we had to be very careful with money, nights out were rare and really appreciated.

Made me remember the value of money and swear to bust my a$$ in uni and in work so that I would not spend the rest of my life struggling for money.

I understand your concern, but, seriously, the hardship will do him the world of good.

Years and years ago when I was in uni, 8 of us went over to Boston to work for the summer. I had worked the previous summer on the Jersey Shore and made a fortune waitressing, so thought it would be the same again. We did absolutely no research, and found it really hard. Didn't get work for week and when we did pay wasn't the best. Eight of us spent in sleeping bags in a two room apartment which had mice (or at least we chose to believe they were mice....).

As a result we had to be very careful with money, nights out were rare and really appreciated.

Made me remember the value of money and swear to bust my a$$ in uni and in work so that I would not spend the rest of my life struggling for money.

Yes, I agree. Had a similar enough experience in NYC (though I didn't exactly transfer that towards dilligence at college).

Some of those lessons are ones that literally have to be lived to get the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

catbear wrote: »
    Perth prices. The worst I heard of was $16.
    Had a feeling it was Perth, that's scandalous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Can you just head to Sydney and sign up with one of those agencies if you've never worked on a site and have no construction qualifications or do they only want experienced people?

I'd like to know this too. I came here planning to work as a Personal Trainer but it's taking forever to get registered and even then I'm not sure if gyms will hire me on a WHV. So, I'd happily do labouring in the mean time. I'm strong and fit and willing to work hard but I have no experience (and no car). That be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Just to add to the thread, I was looking for work and this thread pointed me in the direction of a labour hire company I hadn't heard of and has kept me busy the last couple of weeks.

My son had no experience whatsoever. He only had retail and call centre experience. He signed up with the contact names I sent him that I got on boards and he is busy working away now. Also I agree with all posts that said hardship will do him no harm, he has learnt some valuable life lessons ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Is Labouring just hard work or is it also dangerous work? Would you have to work from heights?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is Labouring just hard work or is it also dangerous work? Would you have to work from heights?

can be all of the above and none of the above. zombie thread btw!

I've done a few months of labouring at different sites in Sydney. I've used grinders, jackhammers and other power tools and I've also been up high in a cherry picker. It's not really dangerous as long as you keep your wits about you. Like, if you get careless when you're using the grinder you could probably lose a finger. When I was in the cherry picker I had a licensed guy supervising me so he showed me how to use the harness and all that. I've had to work on a few scaffoldings as well.

Some jobs are hard and some jobs are easy. I think you'll find the Aussies have a fairly chillaxed approach to their work though.

I've done a few months of labouring at different sites in Sydney. I've used grinders, jackhammers and other power tools and I've also been up high in a cherry picker. It's not really dangerous as long as you keep your wits about you. Like, if you get careless when you're using the grinder you could probably lose a finger. When I was in the cherry picker I had a licensed guy supervising me so he showed me how to use the harness and all that. I've had to work on a few scaffoldings as well.

Some jobs are hard and some jobs are easy. I think you'll find the Aussies have a fairly chillaxed approach to their work though.

If you're doing anything near high powered machinery make sure whoever is operating them can see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

CM24 wrote: »
    When I was in the cherry picker I had a licensed guy supervising me so he showed me how to use the harness and all that. I've had to work on a few scaffoldings as well.

Before you perform work at heights, there is a high risk work license you should have completed.
    Plenty of cowboys don't. Any of the higher tier construction companies won't let you near Working at heights without the ticket, so don't expect that to be the norm. The course only takes a day, but is fairly useful regarding your legal obligations.
    EWP's have a specific work license also, and require a VOC in most places.

By working on scaffolding do you mean putting it up or taking it down ?
    Because that also is licensed work. I'd have a quick read through the work health and safety act before doing any of the above. The fines are high, and ignorance is not a defense should the shit hit the fan

If you are being put in this situation by work, ask them to put you through the courses, or put yourself through them.

Too many people die because of cowboy activity.

Advertisement