Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son cannot get job in Sydney

Options
  • 30-01-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi, my son went to Perth in October and all was great, work and pay good .However they decided to go to Sydney just before xmas and since then nothing ! Cannot get anything and is barely surviving (I am paying his rent but this cannot continue). He has registered with 4 agencies but whenever he rings them they say he is on "top of their list". At this point he can only survive another week and then will have to come home, which will be awful for him as his other 2 friends eventually found some work. Has anyone any advice on the best places to look for work etc. He has retail and call centre experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

He just needs to wait it out unfortunately.

He was mad leaving a job just before xmas as most people know AU shuts down from mid Dec until after Australia day.

Plus hiring is slower here. 2-4 weeks from submitting a resume usually.

Can he go back to Perth? Is he still 'enjoying the lifestyle'? If you are paying his rent, is he making equal sacrifices?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yes, leaving a job at this time of the year wasn't the wisest move. Could he apply for labouring work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Try industrious recruitment. Irish girl in there always found me work. Just keep calling to see if there's any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Thanks for all the replies. Comments/advice noted. He totally agrees should not have left Perth, he did not know, but should have, that the jobs there are much harder to get. As for the sacrifices he is making well he cant go out or do anything he is on the internet all day sending out c.v.'s and making calls. He said he cant take any more money from us but I think to even give it two more weeks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

There's always casual labouring jobs on Gumtree. It may not be his cup of tea but if he could pick up something along those lines to get some cash in and then keep applying for the jobs he's interested in in the evenings after work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

If he's not allergic to some hard work tell him to get a construction white card and phone these 2, and make sure he doesn't email for first contact:

EIR group - Labour hire agency who generally have a lot of work & pay good rates: http://eirgroup.com.au/

And conrec - same as above,a good agency to work for (did 4 months with them and they're A1 if you're A1), good rates & good jobs.
    http://www.conrec.com.au/

Cheensbo wrote: »
    If he's not allergic to some hard work tell him to get a construction white card and phone these 2, and make sure he doesn't email for first contact:

EIR group - Labour hire agency who generally have a lot of work & pay good rates: http://eirgroup.com.au/

And conrec - same as above,a good agency to work for (did 4 months with them and they're A1 if you're A1), good rates & good jobs.
    http://www.conrec.com.au/

Thank you for this info. He will get a construction white card and phone the two places you have quoted. He is on gumtree constantly, according to him. Hopefully he will get something shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

try exact recruitment in mascot , ask for kirk. top bloke , but the work is only a few days a week , but its a start

try exact recruitment in mascot , ask for kirk. top bloke , but the work is only a few days a week , but its a start

Brilliant, thanks... He got a days work labouring yesterday and they said there may be more work next week.. At least he can pay his rent/food next week. I will tell him to ring exact recruitment first thing monday morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good stuff, all you need is a foot in the door and work will come through. It is important to network and not be shy on what you can do. If he puts himself out there now there should be plenty of work for him.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies and contacts. He rang the names given by a couple of people here and I am glad to say he working away doing labouring work at the moment. As he said "you cant beat mixing cement in 40 degree heat":D But
    at least all his bills are paid and I can stop transferring money into this account !! Again many thanks for the contacts :)

Open to correction on this but it hasn't been 40 degrees in sydney since you wrote your original post?!?

Methinks your son is fond of poetic license which really wouldn't have helped a worried irish mammy half way across the globe when he says "ah I've no money and there's no work". Maybe take what he says with a pinch of salt in future :)

WOW what a comment to leave ! You have no idea whats being going on (and dont say neither have I because I actually do and not from him but from some of my colleagues who met up with him - I work for an Australian company) they also confirmed the heat there at the moment. Believe me I am not naive and take everything he tells me with a pinch of salt, but still why leave such a comment !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,893 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats a labourer earning in Sydney these days if you dont mind me asking?

Said it to help you Rita. I have a mammy at home and if I thought for one second someone was worrying her unnecessarily I'd be mad. If I thought it was ME worrying her unnecessarily I'd hate myself. Mammys have enough to be worried about when you are so far away. You seem kind and generous helping him out so I thought a heads up would help. No need to bite my head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

If your son is old enough to be in Australia on his own, surely he's big enough to get his own job? I suspect he is being indulged by an over-protective mammy.

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats a labourer earning in Sydney these days if you dont mind me asking?

With conrec : $24.15 basic + $17.00/day travel allowance

Think EIR was $24.95 basic no travel

reeta wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and contacts. He rang the names given by a couple of people here and I am glad to say he working away doing labouring work at the moment. As he said "you cant beat mixing cement in 40 degree heat":D But
    at least all his bills are paid and I can stop transferring money into this account !! Again many thanks for the contacts :)

Which crowd did he end up with?? If you don't mind my asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

He should try a website called backpackers job board. It usually has casual short term jobs but that website dug me out of a hole a few times when I was short of cash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

If your son is old enough to be in Australia on his own, surely he's big enough to get his own job? I suspect he is being indulged by an over-protective mammy.

Everyone needs a little help from time to time, most good mothers are overprotective to some degree, I only hope if you (ever) have children you could offer them some assistance if it's needed, or would you let them tough it out and learn the hard way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

reeta wrote: »
    WOW what a comment to leave ! You have no idea whats being going on (and dont say neither have I because I actually do and not from him but from some of my colleagues who met up with him - I work for an Australian company) they also confirmed the heat there at the moment. Believe me I am not naive and take everything he tells me with a pinch of salt, but still why leave such a comment !

In fairness Batgurl is 100% correct, the average max tempature during Jan & Feb 2015 was 27C. (feels like 20C at home)

The highest max tempeture was 35C and it only has went over 30C 5 times in the last 50 days.

It most deffnitely not 40C or no where near it. Thats a Fact.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201501/html/IDCJDW2124.201501.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201502/html/IDCJDW2124.201502.shtml

mandrake04 wrote: »
    In fairness Batgurl is 100% correct, the average max tempature during Jan & Feb 2015 was 27C. (feels like 20C at home)

The highest max tempeture was 35C and it only has went over 30C 5 times in the last 50 days.

It most deffnitely not 40C or no where near it. Thats a Fact.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201501/html/IDCJDW2124.201501.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201502/html/IDCJDW2124.201502.shtml
    thats sydney city , the poor fecker could have been pouring concrete out west
    those temp readings are measured in the rocks observatory , i was in bankstown on the 17th march and it was definitely closer to 40 degrees rather than 35.7

Jaysus easy people,

I get what the youngfella meant, Im sure he's not out with the thermometer every day, but means "its fcuking hot here, especially when you're out pouring concrete all day"

lol at the bom figures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

thats sydney city , the poor fecker could have been pouring concrete out west
    those temp readings are measured in the rocks observatory , i was in bankstown on the 17th march and it was definitely closer to 40 degrees rather than 35.7

17th March is next month, unless you were talking about 17th January 2015. I'll call you on your 40C at Bankstown LOL

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201501/html/IDCJDW2008.201501.shtml it was actually 35.1C far from 40C

Sure you can get days that spike 40C but the avearge over the last 50 days was 27C in Sydney and yes it can vary out west but even if its in the valley around Penrith (which tends to be the hottest area in metro Sydney) it only varies about 3C.

Also yes the BOM figures are a bit of a stickler, no point shooting people down when the truth says otherwise.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    17th March is next month, unless you were talking about 17th January 2015. I'll call you on your 40C at Bankstown LOL

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201501/html/IDCJDW2008.201501.shtml it was actually 35.1C far from 40C

Sure you can get days that spike 40C but the avearge over the last 50 days was 27C in Sydney and yes it can vary out west but even if its in the valley around Penrith (which tends to be the hottest area in metro Sydney) it only varies about 3C.

Also yes the BOM figures are a bit of a stickler, no point shooting people down when the truth says otherwise.

march? whoops ? :P having said that , the humidity is a bitch lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Come to QLD and play with Marcia !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cheensbo wrote: »
    I get what the youngfella meant, Im sure he's not out with the thermometer every day, but means "its fcuking hot here, especially when you're out pouring concrete all day"

I'm sure most knew what it meant, and that it was a bit of exaggeration.
    But at the same time, "You have no idea whats being going on...I work for an Australian company", was a ridiculous reaction to somebody who is actually in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

i'll give you the same advice I'd give your son,

get a cup of concrete into you princess

Ok Sorry I just thought it a strange comment to make, believe me the last few weeks have been a nightmare, and probably more for me than him ! I just wanted to thank everyone on boards because the contacts I was given is where he got work. Obviously being an irish mammy makes me sensitive :)

• Advertisement

Possibly :)

Advertisement