Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    What is the fat requirement for young bulls? 2=?
    What's the best way of putting fat on muscular cattle?

2+ is the min. Hard to get fat cover on good muscled bulls under 16 months (Not that I ever tried it). Can even be hard on good under 24 month bulls. Meal with a high maize content is Your best bet I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

3 bulls u16, 2 e-2= and 1 u+2-, made 3.99 and 3.87. Was expecting a bit more with bord bia 12 c

Savage calfs. You were lucky what you got tbh they could have given ya any price tbh

What is the fat requirement for young bulls? 2=?
    What's the best way of putting fat on muscular cattle?

Idk if there is a way to put much fat on them. They are meant to be lean. Meal with added fat and maize meal. If they were on adlib concentrates it canbe hard to get the intakes with such a dry feed and molasses or sugar beet would help. But with only 3,concentrates are the only way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

3 bulls u16, 2 e-2= and 1 u+2-, made 3.99 and 3.87. Was expecting a bit more with bord bia 12 c

As they did not make the grid 2+ FS you did not get QA. They deducted 6c/FS for below 2+ . If they had made FS 2+ it would have been worth 24c/kg on the U and 18c/kg on the ''Dini''.

To get FS on bulls like that everything has to be right. If protein is too high they grow too much if it is too low they fail to digest there feed. For the last 100 days 13.5p would be ideal. Yes high maize but also a low level of wheat(5-8%) to speed up the rumen. A high oil ration/nut and a good additive..

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

You were at the mercy of purcurment manager when you missed the grid.
    Id have to take u24 price for the 2= and the 2- would eventually get u24 price but a bit of ballicking and told not to bring anything like that again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

As they did not make the grid 2+ FS you did not get QA. They deducted 6c/FS for below 2+ . If they had made FS 2+ it would have been worth 24c/kg on the U and 18c/kg on the ''Dini''.

To get FS on bulls like that everything has to be right. If protein is too high they grow too much if it is too low they fail to digest there feed. For the last 100 days 13.5p would be ideal. Yes high maize but also a low level of wheat(5-8%) to speed up the rumen. A high oil ration/nut and a good additive..

You behave yourself.....

Reggie. wrote: »
    You behave yourself.....

I do not know how that got in there but it looks good. It was ment to be on the ''E's''. But that sounds dodgy as well

Slava Ukrainii

I do not know how that got in there but it looks good. It was ment to be on the ''E's''. But that sounds dodgy as well

It looks like he got 24c and 12c above base price rather than getting cut tbh

It looks like he got 24c and 12c above base price rather than getting cut tbh

Base is 3.73 a U+ getting the 12c QA would gets 24c/kg for the 4 base grades improvements above R=/R- (which are the base grades). The E- would have been another 6c improvements That would have made his overall price would have been 4.11 for the U and 4.17 for the E- if they had been FS2+ minimum

However as they were lower FS he lost the 12c/kg QA and 12c/kg for the two FS on the U giving a price of 3.87/kg and 12c+6c/kg on the E's giving a final price of 3.99/kg. On bulls killing 400kgs that is 72/head on the E's and 92 euro on the U grade animal. It would have paid to keep feeding them and take a flat price after Christmass if they were over 16 months. More than likly Op was feeding a very high P ration when if he had added Barley to it he have reduced his feeding costs and came up on the FS's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Factories would school you!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Factories would school you!

Not really but this is where the bull about there only being 20ish cent between U and O grade cattle eminates. An O+ bullock with a FS of 3 would make 3.75/kg. He is not far behind those Bulls. But he is in spec and suitable for the UK prime market. Those bulls would go to a lower priced market because of there FS.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No Christmas card for you sunshine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Factories would *fool* you!

Fixed that for ya boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Base is 3.73 a U+ getting the 12c QA would gets 24c/kg for the 4 base grades improvements above R=/R- (which are the base grades). The E- would have been another 6c improvements That would have made his overall price would have been 4.11 for the U and 4.17 for the E- if they had been FS2+ minimum

However as they were lower FS he lost the 12c/kg QA and 12c/kg for the two FS on the U giving a price of 3.87/kg and 12c+6c/kg on the E's giving a final price of 3.99/kg. On bulls killing 400kgs that is 72/head on the E's and 92 euro on the U grade animal. It would have paid to keep feeding them and take a flat price after Christmass if they were over 16 months. More than likly Op was feeding a very high P ration when if he had added Barley to it he have reduced his feeding costs and came up on the FS's

You won’t get 6c/kg more for grading E. Due to bulls grading better and killout higher than steers factories are offering less of base price for u16 bulls.
    I know factory in Ennis give QA on 2= for bulls so that might be the case here. Any bull that I slaughtered that doesn’t meet the fat score it’s only the QA you don’t get. You don’t lose the 6c increases on the grades.
    Hardly worth feeding on the bulls with overage U grade bulls quoted at 3.85
    Fair going to get E carcase on u16 bulls

K9 wrote: »

You won’t get 6c/kg more for grading E. Due to bulls grading better and killout higher than steers factories are offering less of base price for u16 bulls.
    I know factory in Ennis give QA on 2= for bulls so that might be the case here. Any bull that I slaughtered that doesn’t meet the fat score it’s only the QA you don’t get. You don’t lose the 6c increases on the grades.
    Hardly worth feeding on the bulls with overage U grade bulls quoted at 3.85
    Fair going to get E carcase on u16 bulls

My pricing for the bulls works out exactly for a 3.75 base if they are treating them as young bulls. Yes factory try to buy off grid but in this case they have have paid as per grid and as per FS's.
    Es U grade bulls are quoted at the moment at 3.85 bulls are the first to rise when prices rise. 4/kg may be attainable a in January. Those quality of bulls will put on more weight than it costs to put on them. It different if you are turning and replacing. If you are finishing your own production you need to maximize your profit. The real difference would have been on the U bulls

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Why 16 months with young bulls? Is there such a drop off in tenderness so quickly after the 16m. Is it the same Europe wide?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Why 16 months with young bulls? Is there such a drop off in tenderness so quickly after the 16m. Is it the same Europe wide?

it is an arbritory age that suits retailers and processors. it targets these bulls a times of tight supply May/June and December/January because of time of birth. it also jeeps down carcasses weight however it causes an issue on FS. However processors do claim that as bulls get older there is more likely to be a store period that can effect carcass quality.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

it is an arbritory age that suits retailers and processors. it targets these bulls a times of tight supply May/June and December/January because of time of birth. it also jeeps down carcasses weight however it causes an issue on FS. However processors do claim that as bulls get older there is more likely to be a store period that can effect carcass quality.

Over 16m bulls are probably like the overweight weight lambs, they can sell them alright , they just can't sell a large amount.
    Overweight lambs go to a premium market from some factories, they never have to look for them such is the number of farmers that let lambs go overweight

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

My pricing for the bulls works out exactly for a 3.75 base if they are treating them as young bulls. Yes factory try to buy off grid but in this case they have have paid as per grid and as per FS's.
    Es U grade bulls are quoted at the moment at 3.85 bulls are the first to rise when prices rise. 4/kg may be attainable a in January. Those quality of bulls will put on more weight than it costs to put on them. It different if you are turning and replacing. If you are finishing your own production you need to maximize your profit. The real difference would have been on the U bulls

As it is, it’s getting difficult to move overage bulls. Bulls already have 120 days of 10kg + of meal, always a risk of them becoming stale or getting injured. I’d be happy to have em gone.
    Don’t see the point in supplying heavier carcasses to processors at lower prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just home from our Christmas party and came across this. I haven't read it in full.
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/revealed-factory-feedlot-contribution-to-irish-beef-kill/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Base price wrote: »
    Just home from our Christmas party and came across this. I haven't read it in full.
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/revealed-factory-feedlot-contribution-to-irish-beef-kill/

It's a bit of a misleading headline. Most of those feedlot owners are just normal fellas around the ring.

Pidae.m wrote: »

It's a bit of a misleading headline. Most of those feedlot owners are just normal fellas around the ring.

No they are not these are factory owned and controlled feedlots. Cattle are contracted in to be slaughtered at best . However in some cases feedlot owner only provides own labour and sheds, processor provides all feed, cattle and assumes all risk

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Yeah, i had feedlot status tor a year when i was locked up with TB (about 4 years ago)., and I'm the furtest thing from the image of a feedlot. 95% of my cattle get nothing but grass.
    2 friends of my are officially feedlots this year as they are locked up. And they send less than a 100 cattle to the factory per year.

Yeah, i had feedlot status tor a year when i was locked up with TB (about 4 years ago)., and I'm the furtest thing from the image of a feedlot. 95% of my cattle get nothing but grass.
    2 friends of my are officially feedlots this year as they are locked up. And they send less than a 100 cattle to the factory per year.

Had you double fencing?

No they are not these are factory owned and controlled feedlots. Cattle are contracted in to be slaughtered at best . However in some cases feedlot owner only provides own labour and sheds, processor provides all feed, cattle and assumes all risk

I'm feedlot and I'm not controlled by a factory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

What stuck out was the % that they control (particularly when stock are scarce) and that figure is increasing. Worring figures imo.

Had you double fencing?

Looked about it here a few years ago and that put us off it. We share a lot of ditches with neighbours and they all had to be double fenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Not often your wrong bass but in this case you are. The figures they used are feedlots but not nessecarily factory owned or contracted. It’s their tb status. It means 2 tests a year, only selling to slaughter and you can buy from a tb restricted herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Goeasy123

Willfarman wrote: »
    Not often your wrong bass but in this case you are. The figures they used are feedlots but not nessecarily factory owned or contracted. It’s their tb status. It means 2 tests a year, only selling to slaughter and you can buy from a tb restricted herd.

Yes I think you're right. Agriland have used a very sensationalist headline here. I personally know 3 or 4 farmers who feedlot status but are definitely not on forward contracts. They possibly have a 'good' relationship with a particular factory or two but are by no means used to manipulate the market in tight times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Article was poorly worded. All feedlots by definition in this country can only sell stock to a factory. They'd want to do a bit more journalism to actually find out how many are factory operated so to speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Goeasy123

Mooooo wrote: »
    Article was poorly worded. All feedlots by definition in this country can only sell stock to a factory. They'd want to do a bit more journalism to actually find out how many are factory operated so to speak

Bit more actual journalism would be great. I'd be really interested to know the true numbers controlled through ownership or by feedlot contracting using a farmers sheds & their labour but with the factory buying the cattle & the inputs themselves. Definitely makes a difference to the price when supplies are tightening but to what extent I don't know

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Looked about it here a few years ago and that put us off it. We share a lot of ditches with neighbours and they all had to be double fenced.

Double testing and no comp for any reactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Mooooo wrote: »

You will be a while waiting for agriland to do any journalism.

First off not all feedlots are factory controlled. Yes they have picked out the restricted feedlots. However not all feedlots are restricted. Processors as well themselves will have restricted and unrestricted feedlots. Just to put the raw figures into context there are 338 of these restricted feedlots that kill 316K cattle or about 930 cattle/feedlot on average. Most of these restricted feedlots will be killing only a few hundred cattle/year. In general they will not be contracted and have no direct links to processors.

But looking at the figures there must be a good few of these feedlots slaughtering several thousand cattle per year. Last June when killing the first of my cattle there was an artic load of heifers arrive at local factory. That was the third load that week for that factory according to my agent from this particular finisher and it had been regular for the previous 5-6 weeks. Not sure how many are on an artic but I imagine that you would be at 40/load.

While Agriland have not got the complete data. They are only looking at restricted feedlots it is my understanding that processors own and control both restricted and unrestricted feedlots. As I said the raw data tells a story. What is needed is that the competition authority needs to investigate the feedlots that are directly owned and controlled by the processors. It need to ascertain there costs, the amount they are paid for cattle over and above ordinary farmers that have no access to these contracts. It need to look at the what is paid for cattle to directly owned and controlled feedlots as opposed to contracted feedlots as well.

Some lads here get a bit protective when some of these issues are highlighted. However if as many believe that cattle in some of these feedlots are paid for at a much higher price to what is received by non contracted finishers it will be to all our advantages. TBH Agriland has shone only a partial light on it. If you look at the map Agriland shows with restricted feedlot number for 2017 and 2018 and take the lower figure in both year for each county,then ignore counties with less that 10 restricted feedlots. The reason you look at the lower figure is it gives a clue as to the number that are fulltime restricted feedlots and counties with lower numbers are usually farmer feedlots are are genuinely restricted due to TB. You hit on a number of around 100 feedlots that are restricted fulltime. They are based in a number of counties how do counties like Carlow, Laois and Meath have such a high number of restriced herd numbers but in area's not noted for TB hotspots.

Slava Ukrainii

First off not all feedlots are factory controlled. Yes they have picked out the restricted feedlots. However not all feedlots are restricted. Processors as well themselves will have restricted and unrestricted feedlots. Just to put the raw figures into context there are 338 of these restricted feedlots that kill 316K cattle or about 930 cattle/feedlot on average. Most of these restricted feedlots will be killing only a few hundred cattle/year. In general they will not be contracted and have no direct links to processors.

But looking at the figures there must be a good few of these feedlots slaughtering several thousand cattle per year. Last June when killing the first of my cattle there was an artic load of heifers arrive at local factory. That was the third load that week for that factory according to my agent from this particular finisher and it had been regular for the previous 5-6 weeks. Not sure how many are on an artic but I imagine that you would be at 40/load.

While Agriland have not got the complete data. They are only looking at restricted feedlots it is my understanding that processors own and control both restricted and unrestricted feedlots. As I said the raw data tells a story. What is needed is that the competition authority needs to investigate the feedlots that are directly owned and controlled by the processors. It need to ascertain there costs, the amount they are paid for cattle over and above ordinary farmers that have no access to these contracts. It need to look at the what is paid for cattle to directly owned and controlled feedlots as opposed to contracted feedlots as well.

Some lads here get a bit protective when some of these issues are highlighted. However if as many believe that cattle in some of these feedlots are paid for at a much higher price to what is received by non contracted finishers it will be to all our advantages. TBH Agriland has shone only a partial light on it. If you look at the map Agriland shows with restricted feedlot number for 2017 and 2018 and take the lower figure in both year for each county,then ignore counties with less that 10 restricted feedlots. The reason you look at the lower figure is it gives a clue as to the number that are fulltime restricted feedlots and counties with lower numbers are usually farmer feedlots are are genuinely restricted due to TB. You hit on a number of around 100 feedlots that are restricted fulltime. They are based in a number of counties how do counties like Carlow, Laois and Meath have such a high number of restriced herd numbers but in area's not noted for TB hotspots.

My original point was that the headline gave the impression that the factorys owned 18% of all cattle killed because they came from feedlots which is complete boll icks.

Obviously I can't speak for outside munster but it says there is 22 feedlots in Cork and 2 in kerry. I can probably name 20 from that list including myself who have zero afilliation or loyalty to any factory.

When feedlots started up about 12 years ago it was pretty easy to get one but in 2012 they had major reforms. Anyone with less than 200 cattle were ****e.d out and they weren't that hot on anyone rearing calves. Any lads that were milking cows or had sucklers were given a second herd number. Then again 3 years ago the goalposts were moved and you had to have your feedlot in one townland which is some pain in the hole if you want to rent ground or had an outside place.

Rant over.... Back to Die Hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My original point was that the headline gave the impression that the factorys owned 18% of all cattle killed because they came from feedlots which is complete boll icks.

Obviously I can't speak for outside munster but it says there is 22 feedlots in Cork and 2 in kerry. I can probably name 20 from that list including myself who have zero afilliation or loyalty to any factory.

When feedlots started up about 12 years ago it was pretty easy to get one but in 2012 they had major reforms. Anyone with less than 200 cattle were ****e.d out and they weren't that hot on anyone rearing calves. Any lads that were milking cows or had sucklers were given a second herd number. Then again 3 years ago the goalposts were moved and you had to have your feedlot in one townland which is some pain in the hole if you want to rent ground or had an outside place.

Rant over.... Back to Die Hard.

Agriland playing to the audience........ again

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Had you double fencing?

With my neighbours, Yes. I'm bordering the sea more than land.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭dryan

Any price updates for bullocks.
    Any sign of a price hike on he horizon?

Thinking of moving a few on this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

dryan wrote: »
    Any price updates for bullocks.
    Any sign of a price hike on he horizon?

Thinking of moving a few on this week.

Haven't heard about bullocks tho,
    Heifers are 3.85 atm
    looking like a pull down at end of month if anything, up to 40 cent.
    closer we get to an uncertain brexit lower price will get.
    2/3 week waiting list for heifers in kepak atm

Guy I know that kills a lot of cattle says it's next to impossible to get cattle into factories at the moment.

• Advertisement

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Haven't heard about bullocks tho,
    Heifers are 3.85 atm
    looking like a pull down at end of month if anything, up to 40 cent.
    closer we get to an uncertain brexit lower price will get.
    2/3 week waiting list for heifers in kepak atm

Very hard to see such a pull in prices. It would put us below beef from Poland and Holland. While the processors have backed up cattle it is also hard to see cattle kill staying at above 35K for much longer. I cannot see a price rise but neither can I see a drop in prices especially as much as that. If prices go down much below present levels and especially if they go below 3.5/kg base we will be selling the cheapest beef with the exception of Brazil

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What's outlook on fr cows, have a few to move in 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Guy I know that kills a lot of cattle says it's next to impossible to get cattle into factories at the moment.

Rang local factory man saturday full for this week but no problem killing next week all be it at 375/385.......

Back in early/mid November Factories were wondering where they would get cattle this spring after such a strong kill through out the back end. It continued on for the rest of November and December. I'd expect (hope) numbers will tighten within the next month.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Back in early/mid November Factories were wondering where they would get cattle this spring after such a strong kill through out the back end. It continued on for the rest of November and December. I'd expect (hope) numbers will tighten within the next month.

My opinion in September was because of silage situation and cost of rations lads would opt to finish cattle as fast as possible. Processors were afraid of a gap from mid November to start of February and I imagine contracted feedlots to feed for this window. The good weather allowed lads to finish a lot more cattle off grass this back end. They held the contracted cattle back as long as possible and have to put them through the system now as sheds need to be refilled for the gap in May and early June. However I expect that some lads housed from mid October and these cattle are backing up. Hard to see numbers drop back before late March.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

My opinion in September was because of silage situation and cost of rations lads would opt to finish cattle as fast as possible. Processors were afraid of a gap from mid November to start of February and I imagine contracted feedlots to feed for this window. The good weather allowed lads to finish a lot more cattle off grass this back end. They held the contracted cattle back as long as possible and have to put them through the system now as sheds need to be refilled for the gap in May and early June. However I expect that some lads housed from mid October and these cattle are backing up. Hard to see numbers drop back before late March.

Id be aiming to have cattle finished for 6 week period from June into early mid July. Once Galway races pass price drops off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

Supervalue have round roast on offer this weekend at 5.95 per kg....not a good omen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Very big feedlot full to the rafters for the first time in a good while. Must be feeding strong the last 4/5 weeks. They either see a dip in numbers coming or got them for nothing.

• Advertisement

Very big feedlot full to the rafters for the first time in a good while. Must be feeding strong the last 4/5 weeks. They either see a dip in numbers coming or got them for nothing.

Or they have nowhere to go. Remember not in their interest to kill when prices are low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement