Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Looks like exports of calves next year is going to drop like a stone. There's problems with insufficient lairage space at Cherbourg and has to be booked before being allowed onto the boat. And they cannot just drive onto the next lairage like was allowed before either.

And the new ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg won't be operating before May either.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/concern-for-calf-exports-next-spring-426117

Sexed b&w semen here and then bb after that so hopefully will mitigate the effects on us.
    interesting .whats the scanning tell.you about.conception and whats the insurance for.lower fertility

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

K.G. wrote: »
    interesting .whats the scanning tell.you about.conception and whats the insurance for.lower fertility

I didn't really analyse it yet. All heifers and cows with good ci and trouble free calvings and early lactations were served with sexed semen. Those were all dried in first batch 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

I'll be locked up till the start of May anyway so I hope it's sorted before then.

What did you do. Have you someone to look after the place when you're away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭alps

Looks like exports of calves next year is going to drop like a stone. There's problems with insufficient lairage space at Cherbourg and has to be booked before being allowed onto the boat. And they cannot just drive onto the next lairage like was allowed before either.

And the new ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg won't be operating before May either.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/concern-for-calf-exports-next-spring-426117

Irish ferries do not take calves. That means the Dublin to Cherbourg route is irrelevant and that also goes for their sailings from Rosslare also.

Stena sail 3 times per week Rosslare to Cherbourg, but remember P&O have given an undertaking not yo bring any calves from Scotland to Larne, that are destined for Europe, so if implemented will reduce the demand for places somewhat.

Exporters have arranged lairage and collection points here in Ireland. I bet they'll get something arranged in France as well

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

In a bit of bother here. 3 cows out of 75incalf have aborted now. Waiting on blood results from dams and foetus to see any diseases showing up. All 3 abortions in last week or so. Im vaccinating for bvd ibr lepto and salmonella. Im feeding hay made in july 2017 as cows are dry and in good condition and tryiing to stretch silage. Didn't have abortions with about 4 years and it turned out to be neospora back then. Any other with abortions lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭jaymla627

degetme wrote: »
    In a bit of bother here. 3 cows out of 75incalf have aborted now. Waiting on blood results from dams and foetus to see any diseases showing up. All 3 abortions in last week or so. Im vaccinating for bvd ibr lepto and salmonella. Im feeding hay made in july 2017 as cows are dry and in good condition and tryiing to stretch silage. Didn't have abortions with about 4 years and it turned out to be neospora back then. Any other with abortions lately?

More then likely Neospora, cows can be carries their lifetime and not abort our you can end up with a flurry of abortions like above, stress could be a issue with cows on hay and lack of contentment on it coupled with drying-off would be a stressor event that could of triggered the outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Foetus and cleaning if it's there in to the lab is best way of finding out.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    More then likely Neospora, cows can be carries their lifetime and not abort our you can end up with a flurry of abortions like above, stress could be a issue with cows on hay and lack of contentment on it coupled with drying-off would be a stressor event that could of triggered the outbreak

Any cows that had aborted to neospora were removed from the dairy herd straight away so i wouldn't have been breeding from cows that aborted before. They are content on the hay. There getting silage one day, hay another day back to silage again.

Anyone ever hear of hay causing abortions? Its well westhered leafy enough stuff. I bought it of an uncle. The grass was gone too strong at the time for grazing and he made hay of it. Would cats pissiing on it while it was in a haybarn cause abortions

Mooooo wrote: »
    Foetus and cleaning if it's there in to the lab is best way of finding out.

The vet took blood sample from cow number 1 and 2 and blood sample from foetus/calf from cow number 2. No calf seen from cow number 1. Cow number 3 is in the process of aborting now so now foetus out yet only tail up. There all out of the one shed which is usuall as the cows are divided into three groups according to body condition score

• Advertisement

Take a sample of the the hay and silage. The whole foetus should be taken to the dvo lab so they can check everything. Listeriosis a possibility. Possible from the turning or raking of the hay or silage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Take a sample of the the hay and silage. The whole foetus should be taken to the dvo lab so they can check everything. Listeriosis a possibility. Possible from the turning or raking of the hay or silage

Soil contamination?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Reggie. wrote: »
    Soil contamination?

Thought that too listeriosis ,could be the hay I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Have you dogs? Or do your neighbours?
    A farm bear me lost at least 30 calves on account of dog poo in the feeding area or in the silage

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/is-your-herd-suffering-from-one-of-the-most-common-causes-of-abortion/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Delighted to see the amalgamation of Newtownsandes and North Cork. Hope for a bright future for all, a positive outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

degetme wrote: »
    Anyone ever hear of hay causing abortions? Its well westhered leafy enough stuff. I bought it of an uncle. The grass was gone too strong at the time for grazing and he made hay of it. Would cats pissiing on it while it was in a haybarn cause abortions

The hay might also be a coincidence, cats are carriers of toxoplasmosis, which affects sheep and humans, never heard of a cattle association. Keep the chin up, stressful times not knowing what you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone know the likely hood of a cow recovering from a stomach ulser. Any I seen in places I worked ended up dieing.
    She got powders and betamox this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Anyone know the likely good if a cow recovering from a stomach ulser. Any I seen in places I worked ended up dieing.

Have seen cows getting stomach pumped with fragaston which is charcoal for stomach ulcer had one pull threw last year and still here . Haven't seen many recover tho especially if the dung is very black

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I had one here ,never injected because vet said it was a lost cause and said to factory her if she survived the night .Low and behold she recovered fully and milked away and calved again this year .Now she was fairly shook after the ulcer and would have only half milked for the rest of that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone know the likely hood of a cow recovering from a stomach ulser. Any I seen in places I worked ended up dieing.

I brought one to the vet college in ucd years ago, she recovered but was never right afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How long before calving do ye start the iodine in the water?

Coffee. Loads of it. Stomach ulcer isn't the worst prognosis. Lower down the gut is a write off. Was the blood black or red. The blacker the higher up the gut the better. Did she get a transfusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Coffee. Loads of it. Stomach ulcer isn't the worst prognosis. Lower down the gut is a write off. Was the blood black or red. The blacker the higher up the gut the better. Did she get a transfusion?

No transfusion. She's an awful lot better tonight. Eating at the barrier when I went out and back to her contrary self. Hopefully she'll pull through.
    Pb je who calved in feb and was doing 20l 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

No transfusion. She's an awful lot better tonight. Eating at the barrier when I went out and back to her contrary self. Hopefully she'll pull through.
    Pb je who calved in feb and was doing 20l 2 weeks ago

I'm thinking that if she was thinking about dieing, you'd probably know it by now. I had a maiden last year that came back ok, but I had a cow this year that kicked the can fairly quick, never showed improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's a bit of work being done about breeding for TB resistance with talk of a new economic breeding value being unveiled next year.

On average, high-EBI and replacement index bulls have a lower TB prevalence, whereas high-terminal index bulls have a higher TB prevalence.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/breeding-for-tb-resistance-426722

The bit I found interesting was
    Dr Ring explained that one such impact could be to “screen-out the worst males and females” to lower the risk of exposure in herds.
    This threshold could become lower over time, ie screen off animals with a risk of 30% first, and then lower the threshold to 25% and so on, thus constantly reducing the risk of TB infection through generations.

There's a bit of work being done about breeding for TB resistance with talk of a new economic breeding value being unveiled next year.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/breeding-for-tb-resistance-426722

The bit I found interesting was

I asked an ai company, when some graph was put up about sires progeny resistance to tb with some bulls with a low percentage of offspring having got it and others with a much higher percentage got tb, had they any intention of sharing the identity of the bulls and got a blunt no in response. All the talk of bulls improving our profitability but if anything effects their bottom line the info, which they get from us, isn't shared then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭alps

I asked an ai company, when some graph was put up about sires progeny resistance to tb with some bulls with a low percentage of offspring having got it and others with a much higher percentage got tb, had they any intention of sharing the identity of the bulls and got a blunt no in response. All the talk of bulls improving our profitability but if anything effects their bottom line the info, which they get from us, isn't shared then...

You're dead right Moooo..this information has been available with a number of years, but commercial sensitivity seems to outweigh what could be extremly benificial information for farmers...

It's things like this just qnaw at my belief that the industry has our best interests in mind..

alps wrote: »
    It's things like this just qnaw at my belief that the industry has our best interests in mind..

ROTFLMFAO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

alps wrote: »
    You're dead right Moooo..this information has been available with a number of years, but commercial sensitivity seems to outweigh what could be extremly benificial information for farmers...

No industry has the interest of the primary producers in mind. The industry wants constant cheap supply. And thats the price it pays to get that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement