Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Plan Movement (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭older by the day

Search away, you wont find any ranting from the meeting I was at. Like I said earlier, ifa weren't mentioned, it just shows how irrelevant they have become around here. It's a pity really.

Last Mart in skibb for the year today, it was just sick. Dry cows and weanlings and no body bidding on them. The IF A have failed in keeping dry stock farming a viable enterprise, why they are getting up sat because its being pointed out here beats me. From Tom parlon going to the PDs in his last year to given millions away in a pension. The normal guy don't care, for the horse has bolted,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Any mention of what spec animal the other markets want and is it actually being produced?

Very good post and China is only down the road for quick export, the big problem is two things.
    First the king PRICE and second the consumer.
    The price of beef across Europe is down at the moment.
    Export more calves? Who wants our poor dairy calves!! Tell me a country that will buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

We've been hearing it from bord bia for long enough, they have shown by now that they're weak.
    As I have said, the factories AND the retailers are collaborating to keep the market small. Why else can't the factories supply other markets that are available to them ?[/quote

Why would factories want to keep the market small. Surely the more they sell, the more profit they make. Can’t see how it would serve them well to keep the market small

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

K9 wrote: »
    We've been hearing it from bord bia for long enough, they have shown by now that they're weak.
    As I have said, the factories AND the retailers are collaborating to keep the market small. Why else can't the factories supply other markets that are available to them ?[/quote

Why would factories want to keep the market small. Surely the more they sell, the more profit they make. Can’t see how it would serve them well to keep the market small

But conspiracy though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I suppose there is a chance that he is too straight for them? He might expose some of what goes on ? , That their masters, the retailers didn't want another buyer on the scene? You're making the factories sound like the moral authority!

Who said that farmers wouldn't work with him. This all came out on Wednesday night, less than 48 hours ago, what do you expect? A boat to be on the high seas by this morning?!

Complete control....No one need have complete control, just look at what went on in the insurance industry.

If you read my posts, I said there was no negativity...or rants in your language.

You're guy on the sheep committee, do you believe everything you hear too? Any chance he's a little more enlightened?

In my time involved in the meat game there has always being buyers and traders of beef from Ireland to other countries and it is very easy to buy if you have the money.

• Advertisement

Very good post and China is only down the road for quick export, the big problem is two things.
    First the king PRICE and second the consumer.
    The price of beef across Europe is down at the moment.
    Export more calves? Who wants our poor dairy calves!! Tell me a country that will buy them.
    Our beef might be better but its more expensive too

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

What is the plan?

Didn't read through all the posts..

Look through beefplan.ie and sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    My relations over there buy the cheapest, New zealand lamb would be a favourite, scottish angus as well, That was the older generation, younger ones would be focusing on covenience , The wedding I was at the menu was pork and the wedding was high class, all dentists and doctors......free bar for two days

I was at a weddong with a two day free bar too. Biggest tramps I ever had anything to do with and they were a solicitor and a doctor. Arrogant elitist sh1ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Our beef might be better but its more expensive too

Isn't that the case with any product? Take 2 cars, a Mercedes and a Citroen, the Merc would be more expensive because it's better quality. Etc, etc.

Isn't that the case with any product? Take 2 cars, a Mercedes and a Citroen, the Merc would be more expensive because it's better quality. Etc, etc.

Hoe Many mercs are sold com0ared to citroen though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Grueller wrote: »
    I was at a weddong with a two day free bar too. Biggest tramps I ever had anything to do with and they were a solicitor and a doctor. Arrogant elitist sh1ts.

You’ve hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Did ye discover it at the end of the 2 days when all the beer was drank or did ye know before ye went?!!! :D

And sure if ye were invited ye must be related or friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

Muckit wrote: »
    Did ye discover it at the end of the 2 days when all the beer was drank or did ye know before ye went?!!! :D

And sure if ye were invited ye must be related or friends!

1st cousin of the wife. She never said a word before ot to be fair so I could make up my own mind.
    Edit to say, My wife has two uncles that are very high powered executives, one in the states and one in Ireland. Guy in the US has salary of over 2.5 million a year plus stock optionns and bonuses. Soundest man you ever met and his wife the same. You would throw them a fiver if you didn't know them.
    This other uncle and his daughter, the solicitor above spent their lives in a plain ordinary 3 bed semi. Uncle is sound but the daughter went to Dublin, met a doctor, developed a D4 accent and turned pretentious over a long weekend. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Grueller wrote: »
    1st cousin of the wife. She never said a word before ot to be fair so I could make up my own mind.

Our crowd were sound.... young lads with loadsamoney and lovely cars, OH was surprised at the state of the loos alright
    I've another one in scotland in May, a navy Doctor......that might be interesting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

wrangler wrote: »
    I've another one in scotland in May, a navy Doctor......that might be interesting alright.

They'll be all playing the bagpipes and you'll be busy blowing your own trumpet!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A long time ago, I worked at a holiday resort on Long Island, New York on a J1 visa. Got talking to the guy that owned it one night. He used to go around colleccting the empty drink cans from the rubbish bags. They were worth 5C each. The clothes he was wearing were even from the trash. He reckoned he made about £250k from trash in his lifetime. I was a student at the time and short of cash and I was laughing at him when he was telling me all this.
    The resort was sold a few years back for £70 million and he was a multi millionaire even back then. It takes all sorts, I suppose. Looking back it was the best job I ever had. The money I saved there put me through college.
    There was a different kind of snobbery in the US. Money ruled.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭148multi

A long time ago, I worked at a holiday resort on Long Island, New York on a J1 visa. Got talking to the guy that owned it one night. He used to go around colleccting the empty drink cans from the rubbish bags. They were worth 5C each. The clothes he was wearing were even from the trash. He reckoned he made about £250k from trash in his lifetime. I was a student at the time and short of cash and I was laughing at him when he was telling me all this.
    The resort was sold a few years back for £70 million and he was a multi millionaire even back then. It takes all sorts, I suppose. Looking back it was the best job I ever had. The money I saved there put me through college.
    There was a different kind of snobbery in the US. Money ruled.

Was that Mr. A M

148multi wrote: »
    Was that Mr. A M

No a Mr. F. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Great story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »

Hugh Doyle got caught out anyway, if it was a full commitee meeting with the inspector there was about thirty others. He coulda said he was with IFA, A group so into social media was going to be found out.
    As for the beef plan, it's all common sense, I'd venture that IFA have the same wish list. BPMs ability to deliver will depend, like strokestown,on the backbone of the members......but then haven't I always said that.
    They've done nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are the ifa still part taking in the sit in they started last week?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are the ifa still part taking in the sit in they started last week?

Sit in is over as as far as I know, they got to meet creed, I wouldn't consider they got a result.
    BPM say they're looking after it now :D

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/creed-announces-enhanced-controls-on-trimming-for-2019/
    It's unclear by that whether they are going to name the past offenders

County Clare Meeting

From the Beef Plan Clare WhatsApp Group;

A Beef Plan meeting for everyone in County Clare takes place this Tuesday Jan 8th at 8pm in the Auburn Lodge Hotel Ennis .
    This is your opportunity to sign up to the plan and pay the €10 registration. The beef plan will be explained on the night . All your suggestions from the floor are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

The Beef Plan Movement’s view is that there are three possible solutions:
    The establishment of a grass-fed veal industry in Ireland;
    The introduction of a 14-day-old slaughter option for the lowest quality calves;
    The easing of export regulations for calves.

Are any of the above realistic solutions ?

alps wrote: »
    The Beef Plan Movement’s view is that there are three possible solutions:
    The establishment of a grass-fed veal industry in Ireland;
    The introduction of a 14-day-old slaughter option for the lowest quality calves;
    The easing of export regulations for calves.

Are any of the above realistic solutions ?

Proposals like those without doing any research aren't much good.
    Are the export regulations that onerous, there seems to be no problem exporting them at the moment any way.
    Anyone that did the grass fed veal went away from it. Isn't that what 'Rose veal' was
    I doubt the government will subsidise the shooting of calves, if farmers are resorting to that it'd be better to do it as quietly as possible, even slaughtering calves at the moment is frowned on.
    They have thousands at meetings with no solution yet persist in abusing IFA for not having a solution. I thought they had someone offering €5/kg

I was at the meeting in Ennis last night. Huge crowd and the lads deserve great credit for the amount of work they put in. To say they are anti the current status quo, is putting it mildly.
    Key points I took from it;
    - 50% of Irish beef is going to the UK where it is sold at a 27% discount to the UK Red Tractor lable. It's sold bottom shelf and marketed as a second rate product.
    - Overall 40% of Irish Beef goes into Retail and 60% to the wholesale market (Burgers and stew). So your under 30 month QA top quality Char bullock is going into the same mixing bowl as the P grade Fr cow from the Dairy herd.
    - Irish Beef is generally sold at 95% of the EU average and not at the higher figure as reported by Bord Bia.
    - Factories are burning animal fat to power their plants. The 5th quarter is where the money is at apparently.
    - They also suggest getting more calves out of the country either directly through export at a young age or via rose veal produced in Ireland.
    - They had a guy there who was looking to buy beef at 4.90 to €5.20/kg :cool:. He is trying to set up a factory in Ireland but is meeting a brick wall from the powers that be. There are about 10 to 12 factories currently lying idle here. He has contracts lined up in China put can't supply them. Most of the questions were directed at him, which was a pity as it deflected away from the real issues.
    - There is an announcement to be made soon by the govt about bio-digesters.
    - One of the organisers spoke about a producers group with 150 guys in it, that he helped set up in Meath. They are getting 10 to 15% discounts of inputs. They bought 1.8 million lts of diesel last year. Plan is to do likewise all over the country via this group.

I was at the meeting in Ennis last night. Huge crowd and the lads deserve great credit for the amount of work they put in. To say they are anti the current status quo, is putting it mildly.
    Key points I took from it;
    - 50% of Irish beef is going to the UK where it is sold at a 27% discount to the UK Red Tractor lable. It's sold bottom shelf and marketed as a second rate product.
    - Overall 40% of Irish Beef goes into Retail and 60% to the wholesale market (Burgers and stew). So your under 30 month QA top quality Char bullock is going into the same mixing bowl as the P grade Fr cow from the Dairy herd.
    - Irish Beef is generally sold at 95% of the EU average and not at the higher figure as reported by Bord Bia.
    - Factories are burning animal fat to power their plants. The 5th quarter is where the money is at apparently.
    - They also suggest getting more calves out of the country either directly through export at a young age or via rose veal produced in Ireland.
    - They had a guy there who was looking to buy beef at 4.90 to €5.20/kg :cool:. He is trying to set up a factory in Ireland but is meeting a brick wall from the powers that be. There are about 10 to 12 factories currently lying idle here. He has contracts lined up in China put can't supply them. Most of the questions were directed at him, which was a pity as it deflected away from the real issues.
    - There is an announcement to be made soon by the govt about bio-digesters.
    - One of the organisers spoke about a producers group with 150 guys in it, that he helped set up in Meath. They are getting 10 to 15% discounts of inputs. They bought 1.8 million lts of diesel last year. Plan is to do likewise all over the country via this group.

I wouldn't believe that guy offering €5/kg .
    Never mind the IFJ, why are none of the farming press picking up on his carry on. He seems to be at all the meetings, we have an independent abbatoir here beside us for the last twenty years and no one put a brick wall in front of him.
    The rest you'd hear at any beef meeting in the country.

Can't remember entirely what he said but he deffo said he had contracts for China that he can't fill. He also said that the 4 big processors here won't supply him. Got the feeling he wants farmers here to part finance the operation.

• Advertisement

All videos from last night in Ennis are posted on their facebook page;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/285936028688976/

Advertisement