Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling In The Years

Comments

Long post warning!...

While I did enjoy last nights episode, I can't help but feel that the 2010s is just too recent for a series about it to feature very interesting content. Most of the events featured in last nights episode (which of course is the most distant in time from us) seemed totally familiar to me and nearly contemporary.

I remember in 2010 when the RITY series for the 2000s was broadcast, I felt it was too soon to have created such a series as we were all mired in the depths of the recession at that point and I felt that the series would have too much of a sort of knowing hindsight-biased concern with the economic factors contributing to the recession. That said, by 2010 the world of the early to mid 2000s seemed very different and distant so there was some entertainment value in watching episodes about those times. But then I wonder how much of that is personal because I was a teenager over the 2000s and your subjective experience of the world and in general changes a lot in those years.

I would definitely have preferred if somehow the production of the 2000s series had been held off until now; the world of the 2000s would seem so distant and interesting if viewed freshly from this point in time. The first series of RITY was broadcast in late 1999 and covered the 1980s. I was too young at the time to have cared to watch it but I can imagine that for adults of the time, it would have been a much more enjoyable programme to watch than the 2010s or 2000s series, for a few reasons. For one, things had never been better economically in this country by late 1999, so viewers looking back to what would have seemed then to be the far-off days of the 1980s could have enjoyed watching it. I imagine viewers would have felt a sense of "look how bad things used to be/ look how different things were" and also there would have been a much stronger nostalgia factor for adults looking back on footage from 10 - 19 years earlier on in their lives. In 1999, people didn't have the kind of internet access we have had since the late 2000s, so they were much less exposed over their lifetimes to footage from the past, and even information from the past, than people have been for the past 15 years or so. Life was much slower and less information-dense back then, despite peoples sense at the time that their world was high-tech, and a look back at footage of the 1980s would have been a stimulating treat.

The second season, covering the 1990s, was broadcast in late 2000. Again, I was too young to be watching it at that time but I imagine that since even in 2000 people weren't yet heavily exposed to media and information about recent history in general, even footage from 1 - 10 years previously would have been enjoyable to watch. If you have ever watched the Irish history series "Seven Ages" which was broadcast in 2000, it has in my opinion a real "end of history" feel to it. By 2000 it seemed for Ireland that the troubles in the North were over, the economy was fixed/the way it should be and we were now a modern and normal country. 1999/2000 is like a sweet spot in history. I really like the 1990s series because it has such a strong sense of optimism from it, a sense of Ireland growing up, and personally that was the decade of my childhood.

The series on the 1970s was broadcast in late 2002 so to many viewers it would have had enormous nostalgia value at the time, showing them footage from 22 to 32 years previously. I remember watching episodes of RITY at the time, in my early teens, and loving the episodes of the 1970s the most! It was long enough ago to me that it seemed like a different planet, a simpler time. I loved the music, the look, the footage of the All-Ireland finals, everything seemed so raw and full of life! In contrast the 80s episodes seemed bleak and poverty-stricken and the fashions looked harsh (mullets and big hard-man looking moustaches), and I think the 90s episodes just seemed too recent but I can't quite remember.

The series of 1962 - 69 was broadcast in late 2004 and would have shown events from 35 - 42 years previous, so would have been either sheer history to many viewers or, for the older viewers, highly nostalgic footage from childhood or youth, and so I imagine it was entertaining viewing to most.

In late 2010, when the 2000s series went out, most people had had access to reasonably fast internet (and therefore information saturation) for maybe 2 - 3 years, and so while the events of the preceding ten years would have seemed more familiar to viewers of the 2000s series than the events of the 1990s series would have seemed to viewers in late 2000, the events of the 2010s are massively more familiar to us adults (ten years older) in 2021 after having lived the whole of that decade absolutely bombarding ourselves with information morning noon and night and in turn being bombarded with information.

The past just doesn't seem as distant or interesting anymore. Every year feels the same to me. Music seems bland and overproduced and soulless. Technology doesn't genuinely impress us anymore. 2015 doesn't feel that different from 2017 or 2019. Fashions and hairstyles don't seem to change much year after year. Every country in the world seems to be homogenising in a sort of shallow globalised instagram culture. Even pre-covid, life just stopped seeming fun or satisfying. Everyone is sated entertainment-wise but not in an enjoyable way. We're having AI forced on us that we don't want. Our phones listen to us and the idea of genuinely having privacy like in the past seems quaint and remote. People meet each other on sterile dating apps instead of organically. Everyone knows too much and is too invested in political stuff, especially stuff only Americans should care about (nobody cared about politics in the 2000s or 90s since we were at "the end of history"). Cocaine use seems to have become casual and not taboo. You can see your social media posts from the late 2000s in some cases and often still retain "friendships" with people you haven't seen in that long, making the past seem unnaturally familiar. Sex has massively lost it's allure as everyone is oversaturated with hyper-sexualised imagery from the internet, music, tv shows, social media, fashions in dress and make-up. The economy supposedly boomed in the second half of the decade and yet it never had the real universal feel of a boom that I remember from the 2000s (and understandably so) and my generation and the one after mine are completely fu'cked for the most part when it comes to buying a house and getting on with their lives. Nobody knows or cares about their neighbours anymore and there is little sense of patriotism or meaning in life for many people. Even pre-covid, many people were unhappy. I could go on but I won't. Maybe it's just in my head but I feel like a lot of things are getting worse and not better! I'm sure the kids of today will look back on the 2010s with nostalgia some day and that my views are possibly very biased.

I will watch the rest of the series though as I did really enjoy the episode nevertheless LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Long post warning!...

Real whiff of old man yells at cloud offa that... excellent username :D

You are as right as you suspect in your closing lines - you've just hit the age where it becomes obvious that every other generation is shite bar yours..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Replying to Onionbelt

Normally I agree especially with music as time needs to be given to weed the crap from the memorable stuff but 2010 was an exception and seeing Cowen, Lenihan and the Troika was pretty emotional and only seeing it back really reminds you what a $h1tshow it was. Despite me not liking the artists the songs picked were big songs that are still around now.

00s looked like someone got a payoff to promote U2 and Westlife and the closest thing to interesting music wise was seeing the state of Jim Corr and his ridey sisters

Your last paragraph is just old man waffling though in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Do you think Reeling in the Years would be better as an hour long programme? Like they could break it up with retro ads etc, as if they were a read ad break (or before the actual ad break).

IMO 25 minutes running time is too short and an hour would be too long unless it was really padded out. Maybe 45 minutes would be a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redoctober

<snip>

Good post. I agree with a lot in your last paragraph. I wonder if it's age-related as I was a young adult in the 2000s so I suppose my golden age would be the 90s maybe. I do feel like we're over-saturated with entertainment these days and we've lost a lot of the soul that previous generations had. It's a shame because we've finally got technology that other generations dreamed of. Having said all that many generations have the tendency to feel like the world has gone to pot as they reach middle age. Maybe that's it.

IMO 25 minutes running time is too short and an hour would be too long unless it was really padded out. Maybe 45 minutes would be a better choice.

"Hour" long shows usually are about 45 mins when all the adds are taken into consideration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

For some reason, last night I thought I was watching the Virgin Media's Aldi version of Reeling in the Years "Don't look back in Anger"

The events/music/clear quality of footage/titles font was just too recent...
    I can't put my finger on it...
    ..far too clinical/predictable or something. as expected no difference in grainy vs quality or b&w vs colour video. no retro adverts or lost nuggets of footage.
    That is what made Reeling in the Years from 1960s to 1990s engaging and watchable 20 years ago and still being aired.

redoctober wrote: »
    Good post. I agree with a lot in your last paragraph. I wonder if it's age-related as I was a young adult in the 2000s so I suppose my golden age would be the 90s maybe. I do feel like we're over-saturated with entertainment these days and we've lost a lot of the soul that previous generations had. It's a shame because we've finally got technology that other generations dreamed of. Having said all that many generations have the tendency to feel like the world has gone to pot as they reach middle age. Maybe that's it.

Well for what it's worth I'm not long in my thirties and I've held those sentiments for the past 5 or 6 years at least with regard to most of them and longer with regard to others. I do believe our world has changed in some irreversible ways which are detrimental and undesirable but again, I suppose that is just my subjective opinion and young people coming up won't know any better (and won't know what they have been deprived of, again in my opinion). But when you are in your early 20s thinking that the way things are in "your day" is objectively worse than things were in the past, and you then continue to hold those opinions for over a decade, I think your opinion can't fully be put down to being old and grumpy and hating the youth of today. I have read statistics that show young people today are "better behaved" than previous generations when it comes to drinking, drugs, underage sex/teen pregnancies, crime etc. so I have no doubt they are more conscientious and hard working than my generation was at their age. They have a much harder time of it than I imagine my generation had and they deserve a lot of sympathy for the challenges they have to face and will have to face.

For some reason, last night I thought I was watching the Virgin Media's Aldi version of Reeling in the Years "Don't look back in Anger"

The events/music/clear quality of footage/titles font was just too recent...
    I can't put my finger on it...
    ..far too clinical/predictable or something. as expected no difference in grainy vs quality or b&w vs colour video. no retro adverts or lost nuggets of footage.
    That is what made Reeling in the Years from 1960s to 1990s engaging and watchable 20 years ago and still being aired.

Guaranteed that this 2010s series of RITY, just like all the previous editions, will be repeated indefinitely on RTE for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Excellent programme, brilliantly edited. Although I really don't like being reminded of 2010 and the following years. Not exactly our finest hours. I watched last night with the OH and thought I'd have to double his blood pressure meds. He was fuming at the sight of Cowan and Co. His blood was boiling by the time they showed Dempsey and Ahern facing the cameras and denying that the Troika were coming to town. They all ran to hills with their pensions before the sh1t really hit the fan :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

jos28 wrote: »
    Excellent programme, brilliantly edited. Although I really don't like being reminded of 2010 and the following years. Not exactly our finest hours. I watched last night with the OH and thought I'd have to double his blood pressure meds. He was fuming at the sight of Cowan and Co. His blood was boiling by the time they showed Dempsey and Cullen facing the cameras and denying that the Troika were coming to town. They all ran to hills with their pensions before the sh1t really hit the fan :mad::mad::mad:

It was Noel Dempsey and Dermot Ahern. I have no idea who Cullen is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,819 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd say it was Martin Cullen.

I'd say it was Martin Cullen.

I forgot about him! But I thought it was Dempsey and D Ahern that were in that footage. I just had a look at youtube. The one I've just seen is Dermot Ahern - not Martin Cullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Every year has certain things that happen that are special,
    since 2010 tech has advanced, a smartphone is as powerful as an windows 7 laptop.
    i like the episodes from the 80,s ,90s.
    the clothes are different, low res film, there was no hd in the 80s.
    adverts are so retro and sexist.
    games are now hd 4k.
    i think young people are better behaved now, in that they are obsessed with social media,instagram,tik tok.fashion has not changed alot since 2010.
    i think with streaming ,100,s of tv channels,you have more choice,
    theres not many programs left that everyone watchs live apart from sport.
    when you watch clips from the 70s,80s, you may never have seen that clip before .
    ireland was a poorer country in the 80s,
    now anyone can afford laptops,tablets large screen tvs.
    i think teens now are alot worse off than the 90s.
    they pay high rent, they will struggle to buy a house anywhere .In all western countrys the birth rate is falling.
    i agree with everything redoctober says.
    yes we had a boom, it mostly means you can afford to buy the latest
    phone,games console,gadget.
    increases in wages have not kept up the price of houses .
    the standard of living has not increased much since 2000.
    every new phone seems the same,.maybe the camera is slightly better.
    i agree music seems more bland since its mostly produced on
    laptops using samples ,
    no need to bother spending years learning to play a guitar or touring.

rte have a limited budget i have no problem if they wish to repeat
    programs every month .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Sorry, I meant Ahern - my mistake

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    Excellent programme, brilliantly edited. Although I really don't like being reminded of 2010 and the following years. Not exactly our finest hours. I watched last night with the OH and thought I'd have to double his blood pressure meds. He was fuming at the sight of Cowan and Co. His blood was boiling by the time they showed Dempsey and Cullen facing the cameras and denying that the Troika were coming to town. They all ran to hills with their pensions before the sh1t really hit the fan :mad::mad::mad:

As others have stated it was Noel Dempsey and Dermot Ahern not Martin Cullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mc.celb

The man who slipped on ice in 2010, was the first show on the 2010 one last night

mc.celb wrote: »
    The man who slipped on ice in 2010, was the first show on the 2010 one last night

It was the first clip in the episode last night, which was covering the year 2010. Next week it will be 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

redoctober wrote: »

The first aspect is that anyone over the age of 25 remembers the 2010s and all the recession elements. It's too recent for it to be "history". We're not reeling in anything from 2010, still dealing with a lot of it TBH.

There's no "Ah, I forgot about that!" moment. No nostalgia, no rose-tinted memories. It's like looking in the mirror, not looking through time.

Second aspect is that IMO 2010-2019 is a watered-down 2000-2009. Now, plenty of interesting things are still happening worldwide and Ireland had a good decade, just not a particularly noteworthy decade.
    Entered in a recession, recovered, had a bit of craziness, leaving in a recession.
    Donald Trump and Brexit dominated politics for half a decade, neither good for Ireland.
    Housing, homelessness, and health are the same as they've always been. Same politicians in power.
    Not too many sporting highlights. Soccer was poor, rugby was so-so (Grand Slam in 2018 aside). Dublin won the Sam seven times, Kilkenny and Tipp shared the Liam McCarthy.
    Decent decade for music, but I think Hozier is the only newish artist that's known beyond Ireland.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The first aspect is that anyone over the age of 25 remembers the 2010s and all the recession elements. It's too recent for it to be "history". We're not reeling in anything from 2010, still dealing with a lot of it TBH.

There's no "Ah, I forgot about that!" moment. No nostalgia, no rose-tinted memories. It's like looking in the mirror, not looking through time.

Second aspect is that IMO 2010-2019 is a watered-down 2000-2009. Now, plenty of interesting things are still happening worldwide and Ireland had a good decade, just not a particularly noteworthy decade.
    Entered in a recession, recovered, had a bit of craziness, leaving in a recession.
    Donald Trump and Brexit dominated politics for half a decade, neither good for Ireland.
    Housing, homelessness, and health are the same as they've always been. Same politicians in power.
    Not too many sporting highlights. Soccer was poor, rugby was so-so (Grand Slam in 2018 aside). Dublin won the Sam seven times, Kilkenny and Tipp shared the Liam McCarthy.
    Decent decade for music, but I think Hozier is the only newish artist that's known beyond Ireland.

You are seriously underplaying the recession, brexit and Trump all are huge noteworthy events as you put it. Also the gay marriage and abortion referendum

We went to 2 Euros won a grandslam and beat the All Blacks for the first time ever. Katie Taylor helps drag womens boxing into the Olympics then wins a rare gold for Ireland and the rowing lads add some medals. It wont get a mention but Dan Martin wins Irelands first cycling monument in 20 years then another to boot

Limerick won an All Ireland for the first time since 1973 and Rovers become Irelands first ever group stage Europa cup team

I know nothing about music these days but every second actor seems to be Irish now especially in the "male heartthrob" category

• Advertisement

2011 will have the best Presidential election we have had.

Norris running away with it till he gets caught defending a nonse.
    Miriam ambushing McGuiness
    Dana self imploding

breezy1985 wrote: »

Miriam ambushing McGuiness
    Dana self imploding

and yet forgetting "tweetgate"?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rte-pays-sean-gallagher-substantial-damages-as-tweetgate-case-is-settled-36421036.html
    This related to a tweet read out by presenter Pat Kenny during the final televised debate of the campaign, prior to which Mr Gallagher was regarded as the frontrunner.

A Twitter account with a user name similar to that of the official Martin McGuinness campaign, but not linked to Mr McGuinness, said a man who claimed he had given a €5,000 cheque to Mr Gallagher would appear at a press conference the next day.

Mr Gallagher lost the subsequent election, finishing behind Michael D Higgins.

The former Dragons Den investor successfully complained to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland about the reading out of the tweet, with the BAI finding it was “unfair” to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

They were wrong on the England v Germany score. It was 4-1 Germany. RITY said 5-1. Christ that's a quick google search and yet they managed to release the program without rectifying :rolleyes:

I've just watched it on the player and it said 4-1, unless they've changed it?

I've just watched it on the player and it said 4-1, unless they've changed it?

Must have. Definitely said 5-1 last night.

Must have. Definitely said 5-1 last night.

Can confirm it did. I remember that match too and thought at the time "I'm sure it was 4-1".

glasso wrote: »

Maybe that's what I was thinking of. I thought McGuiness was ambushed with a tweet but it was the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mc.celb

They also have the All Ireland Football Final wrong. It said 0-17 0-16. It was actually 0-16 0-15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭AJB39

It’s kind of inexcusable to get those scores wrong. That aside it’s a brilliant programme. It did very well in the ratings as well. An average of 515,000 viewers watched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

sugarman wrote: »
    It will certainly be a challenge to fill a 30 minute highlights reel of 2020 when the time comes.
    It can be summed up very easily. World was warned that a highly infectious virus was on the loose and spreading. Most governments were too slow in putting proper procedures in place to contain it therefore the majority of the worlds health systems/economies went to ****.

It can be summed up very easily. World was warned that a highly infectious virus was on the loose and spreading. Most governments were too slow in putting proper procedures in place to contain it therefore the majority of the worlds health systems/economies went to ****.

And Limerick win another All Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Pretty sloppy that all right

that game was the same day as Meath beat Dublin in Leinster championship , Dubs last defeat, Meath scored 5 goals that day maybe they got mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

2010 was absolute boredom, except for the guy slipping on the ice

begbysback wrote: »
    2010 was absolute boredom, except for the guy slipping on the ice

Boredom? In 2010? You have to be taking the piss right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Boredom? In 2010? You have to be taking the piss right?

I just watched it there, an absolute borefest of a year, other than owing money out it was completely uneventful, would actually give 2020 a run for its money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just caught up with it there, the England score was wrong and the All Ireland final as well. While the England goal was controversial I'm annoyed they focused on that rather than the pride of South Africa hosting the WC or De Jong smashing into Alonso in the final.

The Trioka/recession was well presented and did show the anger and sheer depression that set in across the spectrum. I'd forgotten the blatant lies days before the trioka marched in. This was the year I emigrated so it did trigger a hell of a lot of resentment for FF and the bureaucrats.

I think one key thing is the reason it doesn't feel long ago is any of the music, news and sport can be looked up on Youtube in an instant whereas previously it would have been solely within the archives. Heck I even had a memory pop up on Facebook with a status update about the Icelandic ash cloud! And it's quite scary remembering boards.ie threads on subjects featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

I had actually forgotten that the Bailout for the wealthy started in 2011, I thought it was a few years earlier!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Enjoyed it.

I love the old ones and never get tired of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Like others, I was surprised they've produced this decade so soon. By the end of the run, we'll be reeling in the year before last.

I imagine RTE might be disappointed that the first episode only managed to match the viewership of the news. They could well have expected Twitter hype to boost the audience to well over 600k. This is, after all, the programme that many will tell you earnestly is the best thing RTE has ever produced.

A few things caught my eye. Chronology seemed to be all over the place. Surprised they showed the disallowed England goal at the world cup, which didn't leave much of an impression on me. Likewise, the Gordon Brown gaffe didn't seem of much significance to an Irish audience. Of the domestic events, the Brian O'Driscoll royal wedding, complete with fawning commoner, and the inaugural Web Summit could easily have been cut. Most striking to me was that the episode did a poor job of conveying the anger and uncertainty of the time. Only a few seconds of footage of protests and scuffles. In retrospect, Miriam O'Callaghan saying on Bailout night that it was 'one of Ireland's blackest days' seems ridiculous in retrospect.

Like others, I was surprised they've produced this decade so soon. By the end of the run, we'll be reeling in the year before last.

This is the end of it.

The 1960's season omits 60 and 61.
    Teilifis Eireann didn't exist before this, I suppose there's not enough archival footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I have no interest in watching 1 minute of a sports event from 2010,
    i found the whole program boring or depressing.
    oh the gardai investigated the head of anglo bank,
    but he was not found guilty.whats the point of this clip ?
    i fast forward thru most of it on iplayer.
    i think you,d learn more by typing ireland news into youtube search.
    i think rte has produced drama,s better than this.
    old episodes are more entertaining , you can laugh at the awful clothes
    people used to wear.
    rte is now competing with 100s of channels and netflix.
    high quality drama still gets good ratings, eg normal people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,819 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hold out on watching the rest of the episodes.
    Reeling in the 1990's aired in about 2000.
    So, it's not like it's a new thing.

riclad wrote: »
    I have no interest in watching 1 minute of a sports event from 2010,
    i found the whole program boring or depressing.
    oh the gardai investigated the head of anglo bank,
    but he was not found guilty.whats the point of this clip ?
    i fast forward thru most of it on iplayer.
    i think you,d learn more by typing ireland news into youtube search.
    i think rte has produced drama,s better than this.
    old episodes are more entertaining , you can laugh at the awful clothes
    people used to wear.
    rte is now competing with 100s of channels and netflix.
    high quality drama still gets good ratings, eg normal people

OJ was acquitted of murder and it was still featured on RITY 1994. Might as well exclude The Beast from the East from the 2018 episode cause ah sure the snow melted in the end, what's the point in that clip?
    If it was big news at the time, it goes in the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i show reeling in the years to TY students if I have to sub and they have no work given. 1990s are great ones. I always find the 2000s particularly 2003-2007 extremely naff to the point of vulgar, we were such an arsehole population those years, the country seemed awash with lads and ladettes, full on Binge Britain Booze Nation stuff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I imagine RTE might be disappointed that the first episode only managed to match the viewership of the news. They could well have expected Twitter hype to boost the audience to well over 600k. This is, after all, the programme that many will tell you earnestly is the best thing RTE has ever produced.

A few things caught my eye. Chronology seemed to be all over the place. Surprised they showed the disallowed England goal at the world cup, which didn't leave much of an impression on me. Likewise, the Gordon Brown gaffe didn't seem of much significance to an Irish audience. Of the domestic events, the Brian O'Driscoll royal wedding, complete with fawning commoner, and the inaugural Web Summit could easily have been cut. Most striking to me was that the episode did a poor job of conveying the anger and uncertainty of the time. Only a few seconds of footage of protests and scuffles. In retrospect, Miriam O'Callaghan saying on Bailout night that it was 'one of Ireland's blackest days' seems ridiculous in retrospect.

The Web Summit thing really jumped out at me as being a strange feature. Firstly I didn't remember it, and secondly I'm not sure why it's in any way significant? Open to being enlightened obviously, but I don't know why it was there.

Another thing I didn't actually remember is just how bleak 2010 was economically. If you asked me beforehand I'd have said 2008/09 was the worst of our economic woes. Although 2010 was also my first year in college, so I was probably less concerned about the IMF than I was getting sh*tfaced.

The Web Summit thing really jumped out at me as being a strange feature. Firstly I didn't remember it, and secondly I'm not sure why it's in any way significant? Open to being enlightened obviously, but I don't know why it was there.

The Web Summit is one of the largest tech events in the world, founded by a few Irish lads who are the most influential (and controversial) people in tech.
    Elon Musk was present one year.
    Great way for the country to show off its best and brightest and attract those juicy MNCs.

There was big controversy when they moved to Lisbon in the mid 2000s. Basically, they outgrew Dublin, there wasn't the infrastructure, hotel rooms, or a venue that could accommodate them. Sore spot for a government promoting Dublin as a tech hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think it was included as nod to how ireland was becoming/had become one of the most biggest tech hubs in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think it was included as nod to how ireland was becoming/had become one of the most biggest tech hubs in the world

I often wonder how this happened, we had some of the poorest ever investments in IT in primary and secondary schools in any EU country yet became leaders in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I was surprised (and annoyed) to see the Brian O Driscoll/Amy Huberman wedding included. Hardly an event worth reminiscing on for the general population. But then, RTE seem enamoured with her and give her relentless promotion so I shouldn’t be too surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

breezy1985 wrote: »

It was getting caught taking a disability payment from Trinity for decades while working as a Senator that really screwed him up.

It was getting caught taking a disability payment from Trinity for decades while working as a Senator that really screwed him up.

I have never heard of that. What I remember is his ratings tanking after stuff emerged about a character reference or something similar and some interviews surfacing about "Greek practices" between older men and kids

• Advertisement
Advertisement