Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discovery 3x13 - 'That Hope Is You, Part 2' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Stark wrote: »
    That turbolift thing dated back to Season 1 though this is the first time we got a really clear extended look at Discovery's weird hollow space.

They had a mini-episode thing online where Spock and the Enterprise XO get stuck in a lift. Showed part the hollow space but I forgot all about it. Just like I'll forget about all of this after the next episode of The Expanse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I have to join the chorus of people here - although I enjoy Discovery as some random space show I begin to loathe it when I associate it with trek.

A lot of points have already been mentioned but my own views -

- just how big is Discovery? TOS Enterprise looked bigger than it in S1 and S2 yet there's oceans of empty space for the turbo lifts. Come to think of it it's completely disproportionate when you notice that the shuttlebay door is the entire height of the ship yet interior shots depict it to be no more than ~3 floors tall.

- the Tardis problem again. How is the Warp Core in its own cavernous space in the ship with apparently no way of accessing it - like the Data Core; another place we've never seen. Come to think of it why is Disco like that when every other fed ship we've seen places the core in Engineering.

- the Enterprise D's turbo lifts had far more realistic proportions, in particular the time Picard got stuck in there with the kids. On Discovery it looks like you'll fall to your death inside the lift as soon as the power goes given that there's nothing holding onto it. The Ent E had that huge space in Nemesis but I put that down to the fact that the space there was being reserved for future fitting (like stellar cartography in Generations)

- Burnham. She could have been a brilliant character, very much like Spock/Data/Keira if they had kept her to being a hero every once in a blue moon. She should also be the new name for Mary Sue as with the exception of the very first episode all of her decisions have worked out. No matter what. Anyone else in Trek would not have the same luck and would have been killed/jailed/ignored if they tried to do anything she did.

- Burnham's motely crew of merry individuals - they were in what I presume is Engineering when they get the message from Burnham - not one of them could do anything about gaining access to the ship. Whatever happened to breaking as much as they could in there to disable the ship.

- The crew are trapped on the lower decks and can't bypass the turbo lift lock. five minutes later - Burnham cracks it without a bother to escape with Book.

- Command Codes - why weren't these used by the Admiral to disable Discovery?

- they still didn't explain how the chain were able to beam on board a ship with shields up or how to gain access to the ships core functions.

- I'm still trying to figure wth the red angel plot of season 2 has to anything in season 3. Sure it helped prevent control rule the galaxy but could Burnham mom not have tried to liaise with time police of the 30th century and prevent all of this bs to begin with?

- Burnham's smug look when she's in the Admirals office. 'Captain? Me?' you knew from the look she was expecting it.

I could go on. I repeat the same comments I made on the previous seasons as well as Picard - why is there such an insistence on avoiding close ups of any other ships or even speaking to other ships crews. I still actually can't figure out what the Fed headquarters layout is nor can I picture where it fits in that space 'bubble'.

I've always wanted a return to post Nemesis trek but why did they decide to make it a pre-TOS show set so far beyond Nemesis? The entire Disco story could have easily been placed in a Lower Decks/Nemesis era trek. Picard also could have been amazing if it weren't for Patrick Stewart's demands for it being something that the fans never wanted. Strange New Worlds will be good but it isn't what I want. I would have gladly taken their cast in the post Nemesis era on a different starship.

I really hope Yeoh returns to the Picard era and it's discovered that the Disco is in the JJ-Verse where Vulcan was restored and the Prime timeline has a very different future.

Sadly it looks like it will only ever be Lower Decks that will let me experience that. The writers there are leagues ahead.

Apologies for the length of the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

pah wrote: »
    Regarding Seven it was not about her sexuality coming out of left field. I think there was a suggestion that the woman she killed in an earlier episode was a previous partner/lover. Grand, whatever you're into.

For me it was the fact she was holding hands in a romantic way with someone she previously had only two words with. Bull**** writing. It would have been just as weird if she was interlocking fingers with the captain, Rios was it?

Didn't Rios and Jurati also bang with with no build up what so ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

GreeBo wrote: »
    In TNG: Disaster we see Picard and 3 kids climb out of s turbo lift and up the lift shafts... Where did that all go?

It reminded me of this

That let's the lifts go up and down but never accounted how a lift could go across and down.

The lift scene makes sense to me. It slso makes sense in the 32c with an upgraded ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It slso makes sense in the 32c with an upgraded ship.

it doesn't. not even slightly. look at the scene again if you have to. the cavernous backscenes while the lifts moving about. compare to exterior shots with people or robots on the ship for scale, or the shuttle bay shots for scale. There is no way there is that amount of empty internal space to allow those turbolift scenes to be possible. Same as the warp core eject scene. It comes out directly below the shuttle bay after falling for several second through, presumably, several decks. It just cannot fit within the exterior dimensions of the ship.
    The only way it can be possible is if 32c tech allow internal pocket dimensions like the room of requirements from Harry Potter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Maybe Discovery is part Tardis in the future :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

"I've been holding my breath for 6 minutes since I was a kid" what a random skill :D

With Osiryas death the chain fell apart etc, they've literally destroyed another potential store line. Why not just say the chain were in disarray, power struggle whatever that makes them a little weaker but they appear no threat now

duffman13 wrote: »
    "I've been holding my breath for 6 minutes since I was a kid" what a random skill :D

With Osiryas death the chain fell apart etc, they've literally destroyed another potential store line. Why not just say the chain were in disarray, power struggle whatever that makes them a little weaker but they appear no threat now

And that was one episode after pointing out that the chain is a big organization with some sort of ruling body and multiple worlds. Just after building her up beyond panto villain nonsense they go back to square one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Another thing that gets my goat, I know we are in the Era of serialised TV, but I really wish they'd realise that there's no need to needlessly draw out EVERY storyline. Especially when their isn't enough story to do so and you keep repeating the same beats. The Adira/Gray story for example, could have been much more effectively and catharticly dealt with over the course of one or two eps. As things stand we are effectively getting the same scene ' aww aren't they cute together' every few eps ,and seeing as the reason for Grays continued appearance hasn't been resolved , it will likely be carried into next season. Storylines should never outstay their welcome, I'd rather my heart strings be tugged in a one and done episode then to have it dragged out so long I'm just relieved when they resolve it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I don’t know why I’ve been torturing myself weekly watching this, the writing is so dreadful, and I agree with nearly everything on this thread. Having spent the whole season groaning at the prospect of the the Burn being caused by the Burnham effect, I found myself realising that this would in fact have been a better storyline than the one they ran with. Waited the whole episode for the inevitable moment when they would have to kill the Kelpian to prevent another burn..... but of course no.
    Where have all the good writers gone???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thankfully I held my promise last year at the end of season 2 and didn't watch at all this year (I even surprised myself! :p), but from reading this thread it sounds like they actually surpassed themselves this time and actually made the show worse - despite a golden opportunity to reboot it (again!) with a clean slate.

From Space Jesus to Captain is probably a step down though! Maybe this is their idea of realism? I read something about Tilly becoming XO though? Seriously?! The one character who shouldn't be even in Starfleet never mind a command position?! :rolleyes:

Fair play to anyone who stuck with it. It sounds like yet another trainwreck. It really is a shame as it could all have been so much more. Much like Picard in that sense, except they completely ruined an iconic character (and some others - I won't be watching season 2)

Lorca was an interesting character and great screen presence in season 1, but they screwed that up too. Less said about season 2 and Burnham's angel suit the better (not even going to get into the 'we don't talk about it' ending or her being responsible for the Spock and Kirk dynamic etc).

So how many of you will be back for season 4?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Thankfully I held my promise last year at the end of season 2 and didn't watch at all this year (I even surprised myself! :p), but from reading this thread it sounds like they actually surpassed themselves this time and actually made the show worse - despite a golden opportunity to reboot it (again!) with a clean slate.

From Space Jesus to Captain is probably a step down though! Maybe this is their idea of realism? I read something about Tilly becoming XO though? Seriously?! The one character who shouldn't be even in Starfleet never mind a command position?! :rolleyes:

Fair play to anyone who stuck with it. It sounds like yet another trainwreck. It really is a shame as it could all have been so much more. Much like Picard in that sense, except they completely ruined an iconic character (and some others - I won't be watching season 2)

Lorca was an interesting character and great screen presence in season 1, but they screwed that up too. Less said about season 2 and Burnham's angel suit the better (not even going to get into the 'we don't talk about it' ending or her being responsible for the Spock and Kirk dynamic etc).

It went from bad to absolute tripe over the course of series 3. I’d actually encourage you to watch the last episode for the laugh/dismay and to see just how right you were.

It went from bad to absolute tripe over the course of series 3. I’d actually encourage you to watch the last episode for the laugh/dismay and to see just how right you were.

I have to admit. I'm tempted! :p

Ah but seriously.. I could say 'told you so' and all that but I am just sad to be honest. I love Star Trek but between this and Picard it's been destroyed as a franchise in much the same way as Star Wars has in the last few years.

But, like The Mandalorian over there, there is one glimmer of hope - after a ropey start, Lower Decks turned into one of the best real Trek shows yet. Really looking forward to more of that!

I’d actually encourage you to watch the last episode for the laugh/dismay and to see just how right you were.

OK feck it, will watch today and report back later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Did anybody enjoy it? Just wondering, as it seems the majority on reddit love it and are frequently in tears at the antics of the characters. I know it's hard to chip in when everyone else seems to have a different view, but do speak up.

It's trying to keep up with Trek forums that keeps me coming back too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Up until they turned Lorca into a mustach twirling mirror villain I'd quite enjoyed season 1. They got me back on board with the arrival of Pike, season 2 actuallly showed a lot of early promise with interesting episodes like Saru going through Vara'hi that revealed the interesting dynamic between the Kelpians and Ba'ul , and them encountering the Sphere Data . My interest began to fade with the reveal that the Red Angel was Burnham mom and the control arc kicked into high gear.

Season 3 drew me back with the prospect of a new beginning for the crew and the writers, but the same failings emerged, where they stumble on good ideas without ever exploring them in a compelling fashion.

- A Federation where scarcity is a thing , unexplored(as of this season), and with the Discovery of a planet full of Dilithium, mostly resolved .
    - What does the Starfleet look like in the 31st century , its a bubble full of Starships we never properly see, who boldly go nowhere for the entire season.
    - What did Burnham get up to with Book the year she was alone in the 31st century, will she leave Discovery to be with Book, no , and sadly no.
    - What are the Cardassians,Klingons, etc up to 900 years in the future , we don't get so much as get a scene setting scene.
    - Theres probably more but that's enough for now.

As to whether ill be back for season 4 , it would be foolish of me to say no , its trek so ill give it a chance to win me back. But if doesn't use this opportunity to go episodic and continues its failed attempts at serialisation, ill tap out and wait for Strange New Worlds .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Season 3 drew me back with the prospect of a new beginning for the crew and the writers, but the same failings emerged, where they stumble on good ideas without ever exploring them in a compelling fashion.

- A Federation where scarcity is a thing , unexplored(as of this season), and with the Discovery of a planet full of Dilithium, mostly resolved .
    - What does the Starfleet look like in the 31st century , its a bubble full of Starships we never properly see, who boldly go nowhere for the entire season.
    - What did Burnham get up to with Book the year she was alone in the 31st century, will she leave Discovery to be with Book, no , and sadly no.
    - What are the Cardassians,Klingons, etc up to 900 years in the future , we don't get so much as get a scene setting scene.
    - Theres probably more but that's enough for now.

As to whether ill be back for season 4 , it would be foolish of me to say no , its trek so ill give it a chance to win me back. But if doesn't use this opportunity to go episodic and continues its failed attempts at serialisation, ill tap out and wait for Strange New Worlds .
    Yet it had so much potential and yet they made a balls of it.
    I am the same as you I will go give Season 4 ago but if they mess that up that's it.
    What are the Cardassians,Klingons, etc up to 900 years in the future , we don't get so much as get a scene setting scene.
    Also the the Andorians, the Bajorans, the Breen, the Borg, species 8472, the Tellarite, the Ferengi, Nausicans etc and that's only Alpha Quadrant species what about all the Delta Quadrant species too and of course the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant.
    Is the Bajoran Wormhole still there?

Also is Risa still around?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Did anybody enjoy it? Just wondering, as it seems the majority on reddit love it and are frequently in tears at the antics of the characters. I know it's hard to chip in when everyone else seems to have a different view, but do speak up.

Actually it isn't that hard here, but it is hard on reddit, to have a different view to whatever view is prevalent on any sub. On Reddit you get downvoted and your post disappears, and you lose "karma" - which can actually stop you posting again on some subs if you have negative karma. Theres no way back from that.

So subs tend to become echo chambers. If you look at den of geek, where the editorial line is favourable to Discovery the comments are not.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-trek-discovery-season-3-episode-13-review-that-hope-is-you-part-2/

Same with the new Doctor Who. Great support above the line, none below the line.

On TrekBBS there are very few in the middle. It's either 10/10 for every episode, people who hate it and then the odd anti "woke" people who make it hard for those of us who dislike it for genuine reasons.

I usually try keep an open mind and be in the middle but by the end of each season I have always ended up drifting to the full on f**k this crap side as all the little issues start to mount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose Burnham as captain is the obvious choice.
    I mean when everyone follows her and does what she says when she just whispers, imagine what she can achieve by speaking normally or even raising her voice.

Can't wait until it's revealed that Burnham is actually the only person to beat the Kobayashi Maru without cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I thought it was....fine. Not great but not terrible either. The resolution of the Burn mystery was very underwhelming - it felt like the sort of story that would have been a "one and done" episode back in TNG/DS9 perhaps confined to a smaller scale like a sector / solar system. Having said that I enjoyed the Kelpian holodeck setting and it made good use of Doug Jones out of makeup.

Discovery's version of Die Hard / "Starship Mine" was watchable but I was more engaged in the negotiations between Admiral Vance & Osyra. I was expecting some sort of reveal about the hologram lie-detector. I also kept wondering how Discovery could withstand the entire fleet firing at it for more a than a few seconds.

I'm not a fan of Burnham as a character at all. Her over-wrought emotional speeches are getting very predictable. But as an audience we have to accept at this stage, 3 seasons in, she's the focus of the show. If that's the case then making her captain at least justifies keeping the spotlight on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I've given up on r/startrek for anything but utter praise and breathless tears for every episode. It is really remarkable. r/daystrominstitute is a bit better, but not by much. To be honest I'll give any Trek a fair shake, but aside from my own eyes and this thread I would be convinced that it's just me that has any criticisms of the show. As breezy said above, there's no middle ground, it's either the most emotionally moving piece of television ever, or it's the most terrible piece of crap ever written.

Personally I'd give it a consistent 4/10, with some of those points simply being the Trek name. I don't buy into the "watch the Orville for real trek" crap, not a fan of that show either (though I gave up after season 1), neither do I buy the argument that all the critics are complaining about it being too "woke". Yes, it's far too on the nose (Culberts "We'll make sure everyone can see you" is literally speaking to the audience, and wasn't really necessary, as an audience we can get nuance and subtext), but also being critical of that lack of nuance isn't necessarily because of the nature of what's being said, it's the ham fisted manner in which it's being done.

I think the Seven discussion earlier is a prime example of it. I don't think the majority of viewers really give a toss either way about whether she is gay/bi/whatever, the issue is that the scene was thrown in with a character she had zero history with nor any interaction with during the storyline. It may not have been the intention of the writers, but it comes across as just something thrown in at the last minute for the sake of having it. Wouldn't have taken much work to actually give them a small bit of a development up to that point. It's the same issue with Culbery and Gray, it immediately jumps to hugs and tears, yet there was no actual engagement really between Culbert and Adira, let alone Grey, so it feels unearned. Change it to Stamets and there's more of a reasonable development for it since Stamets is who Adira opened up to and talked to about Grey, but unless I'm wrong there was never such engagement with Culbert. It's just unearned attempts at emotional beats that aren't needed, but then stick out like sore thumbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Speaking of the Red Angel, wheres the suit?

Or is the time machine still buried 6inches below the dirt where she crash landed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Or is the time machine still buried 6inches below the dirt where she crash landed?

It was sent to self implode and close the wormhole at the start of episode one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I've given up on r/startrek for anything but utter praise and breathless tears for every episode. It is really remarkable. r/daystrominstitute is a bit better, but not by much. To be honest I'll give any Trek a fair shake, but aside from my own eyes and this thread I would be convinced that it's just me that has any criticisms of the show. As breezy said above, there's no middle ground, it's either the most emotionally moving piece of television ever, or it's the most terrible piece of crap ever written.

Personally I'd give it a consistent 4/10, with some of those points simply being the Trek name. I don't buy into the "watch the Orville for real trek" crap, not a fan of that show either (though I gave up after season 1), neither do I buy the argument that all the critics are complaining about it being too "woke". Yes, it's far too on the nose (Culberts "We'll make sure everyone can see you" is literally speaking to the audience, and wasn't really necessary, as an audience we can get nuance and subtext), but also being critical of that lack of nuance isn't necessarily because of the nature of what's being said, it's the ham fisted manner in which it's being done.

I think the Seven discussion earlier is a prime example of it. I don't think the majority of viewers really give a toss either way about whether she is gay/bi/whatever, the issue is that the scene was thrown in with a character she had zero history with nor any interaction with during the storyline. It may not have been the intention of the writers, but it comes across as just something thrown in at the last minute for the sake of having it. Wouldn't have taken much work to actually give them a small bit of a development up to that point. It's the same issue with Culbery and Gray, it immediately jumps to hugs and tears, yet there was no actual engagement really between Culbert and Adira, let alone Grey, so it feels unearned. Change it to Stamets and there's more of a reasonable development for it since Stamets is who Adira opened up to and talked to about Grey, but unless I'm wrong there was never such engagement with Culbert. It's just unearned attempts at emotional beats that aren't needed, but then stick out like sore thumbs

Something weird has happened this season where Culber and Stamets have just become one person speaking from two bodies. Like that example you gave, it feels like "well he's Stamet's partner, so they're interchangable emotionally, right?", which obviously they're not. Stamets used to be snippy and a bit neurotic, but now he and Culber just have the same zen-guru voice and emotional guide role. Which on top of being lazy, is doing themselves out of dramatic tension and plot development. You can much more from a more short tempered but incredibly smart fella being partnered with a more empathetic and emotionally aware guy. You get to discuss different aspects of whatever conversation it is, and see two points of view. Instead the way they've gone just means that two other characters get to have a "you're special", or "it was you all along" moment at the same time.

Which is the larger problem with the show, everyone just says the thing required in the scene, or to be a foil for whatever action is about to take place. No one makes choices based on who their character has set them out to be. Like, we're used to seeing a certain amount of this in all Trek to disguise exposition, where the pieces of the plan are built out by different people, as if its a conversation leading to a shared conclusion. Normally, it's, say, Picard asking a question, and Geordi answers with an idea, Riker questions a technical element of it, Data clarifies with a solution, and away we go. But in Discovery, it's just a series of statements randomly assigned to whoever is in the room, without any tie to who they are or what experience their character should be bringing to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was nice to see a hetro white male introduced at the end, you know so I can see my people represented on screen :pac: , and a good lesson to know that you dont need numbers to do maths, you just do you girl! if it feels right it must be right.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Something weird has happened this season where Culber and Stamets have just become one person speaking from two bodies. Like that example you gave, it feels like "well he's Stamet's partner, so they're interchangable emotionally, right?", which obviously they're not. Stamets used to be snippy and a bit neurotic, but now he and Culber just have the same zen-guru voice and emotional guide role.

I was actually going to say exactly that, it's like they think that partners/husbands/wives etc. speak with the same voice. Which is patently untrue (unless I'm going wrong somewhere, which is entirely possible!!)

She sent it back into the wormhole thing and self destructed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I think the space cowboy would have beaten Book in their fights in the turbo lift if he didn’t keep pausing to say something stupid.
    Though I actually quite liked that character/actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I think it was ... fine ... also. I enjoyed the whole Su'Kal plot, it felt very vintage and made me think of some old Trek episodes a few times. Saru and Doug Jones played a blinder there.
    I enjoyed Osyraa as a villain and I wish they kept her and the Chain around for later.
    I like everything Vance and the federation HQ, and appreciated the touch with Sahil checking in at the end, very vintage feel again.
    Owo's mission was good, the final montage was well done.
    I was surprised by Book taking the reins but it was actually logical and well signposted earlier in the season, bringing a lot of potential for some adventures and Kwejian involvement down the line.
    The new scientist character seems like a good addition, and should add balance to what is mostly an engineering crew in the science department.

For the cons, the turbolift cavern looked absolutely silly.
    I also feel that horrible disservice was done to the character of Tilly who started out as capable if quirky young scientist and ended up being a directionless blinking mess. I'm not sure whats going on with engineering now, all the LGBT people are in it (which is strange in itself), is Tilly coming back too? How many main cast engineers do you want?
    I am not a fan of Michael but then I was never a fan of Kirk, and with the unrelenting focus on her character her being a captain at least centres it somehow.

For everyone looking for positive masculinity, haven't you noticed a wealth of fatherhood themes? Saru becoming a father figure to Su'Kal. Stamets and Culber to Adira and by extension Grey. Vance being a steering presence first and then actually coming out with a fatherly anecdote. Book's brother being responsible for his planet and kind.

Overall I find Discovery too busy and hectic to fully enjoy it, but it's not an abomination either. I am parallel-watching Voyager at the moment and imagining how boards would absolutely skewer every episode of it for bad writing, lazy costumes, sameness of plots etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

strandroad wrote: »
    I am parallel-watching Voyager at the moment and imagining how boards would absolutely skewer every episode of it for bad writing, lazy costumes, sameness of plots etc...

I rewatched Voyager last year. Was my third time watching the series from start to finish. While it uses the episodic formula, it follows a story throughout making only a handful of episodes you could watch out of place. Good writing, character development and their relationships were built over time and made sense. Enjoy.

I've been rewatching StarGate SG1 the past few weeks. Good times.

Stay Free

I am parallel-watching Voyager at the moment and imagining how boards would absolutely skewer every episode of it for bad writing, lazy costumes, sameness of plots etc...

I get what you're saying but the wrongs made by Voyager were nitpicking at best. You didn't have Voyager completely rewriting history in its entirety by having Tuvok be Spock's adopted brother (which, funnily, would have made more sense than Burnham) not to mention Voyager's layout not making any sense whatsoever and a crew that revolved around one character.

Although Seven and the Doctor were very interesting and popular characters their stories didn't arch over the entire show/cast and relegate Voyager and other species/vessels to a quick glimpse, from a distance, here and there.

FGR wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but the wrongs made by Voyager were nitpicking at best. You didn't have Voyager completely rewriting history in its entirety by having Tuvok be Spock's adopted brother (which, funnily, would have made more sense than Burnham) not to mention Voyager's layout not making any sense whatsoever and a crew that revolved around one character.

Although Seven and the Doctor were very interesting and popular characters their stories didn't arch over the entire show/cast and relegate Voyager and other species/vessels to a quick glimpse, from a distance, here and there.

Oh yes, I am not disparaging Voyager by any means (although the treatment of Seven and Jeri Ryan there is a topic for a reason), merely saying that ST series have their sins. STD is guilty of ADHD and trying too hard but then I stopped watching DS9 once because it was getting so stale - I could draw the layouts of the command centre and the entire Promenade from memory with everything important happening there, and would you know that Ferengis like their money and to cheat, after the first hundred times it was played as a joke or even drove the plot? Thankfully I resumed but I was so close to turning my back on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Voyager gets a huge amount of hate on this forum. (I'd be a fan personally, quite a few episodes there that I rewatch regularly).

• Advertisement

Oh yes, I am not disparaging Voyager by any means (although the treatment of Seven and Jeri Ryan there is a topic for a reason), merely saying that ST series have their sins. STD is guilty of ADHD and trying too hard but then I stopped watching DS9 once because it was getting so stale - I could draw the layouts of the command centre and the entire Promenade from memory with everything important happening there, and would you know that Ferengis like their money and to cheat, after the first hundred times it was played as a joke or even drove the plot? Thankfully I resumed but I was so close to turning my back on it.

Ahh..The highs and lows of DS9..which I love btw..

"Allamaraine, count to four, Allamaraine, then three more.." :pac: :pac:

You've given me psychedelic flashbacks now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

I genuinely love that episode

One of the few from the early seasons that I like

I didn't start to enjoy DS9 until it was late in season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I genuinely love that episode

One of the few from the early seasons that I like

Ha! I used to work with the writer of that episode, Lisa Rich! Brilliant woman.

OK.. now as I said, I haven't watched any of this season so the context of a lot of it is lost on me. (some comments as I watched though)

- Whole holo-ship thing was like it was spliced in from another completely different episode. Someone on the production team has a Harry Potter/LOTR obsession too and who thought basing a sub-plot of trying not to trigger a recluse was a good thing
    - Pew pew... basically the same effects just as in pre-TOS Discovery. 900 years later? I see they've gone with the nonsense window on the bridge in the future than the viewscreen too
    - Stupid intro is still stupid. People complain about Enterprise, but this is far worse
    - I see the dramatic Burnham framing in the camera work and her semonising or angry shouting or crying has gone nowhere. The actress still hasn't developed any range this season
    - Tilly is still as irritating and out of place as always. Absolutely awful character. The rest are still little more than extras I see
    - More emotions and feels. These are supposed to be professional quasi-military competent officers, not a support group
    - Poorly rendered, badly lit CGI is not a substitute for coherent story telling
    - WTF is with the turbolift tubes(?) We saw an entire episode in the tubes in TNG and there wasn't miles of empty space in a ship that was far more advanced
    - I see where the Discovery does Die Hard comments came from (although the fight between Book and the other guy was more "see you at the party Richter!"), except that is an outstanding genre-defining movie. This nonsense though....
    - Wait what... Tilly is Captain now?
    - So let me get this straight. The Burn happened because yer man's mother died and he screamed? And this destroyed warp travel throughout the quadrant/galaxy?
    - I don't know what the background was with the holgram(?) they're all so upset about but whatever
    - Wraps up with another ridiculous Burnham monologue and validation and tears for how great she is of course. I'm surprised they only made her Captain. Why not skip straight to Admiral? :rolleyes:
    - Closing out with a Roddenberry quote, the Trek and then TOS theme is just a slap in the face after this nonsense.

I can see why you are all so disappointed. This is actually WORSE than the S2 finalé. Awful, awful muck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Damien360

I actually liked most of the series. Disappointing thing for me was the head of the chain looked like the wicked witch from wizard of Oz. They were building to be a good enemy. The two episode send off for Philippa was pointless. She was a fantastic strong character. The reasoning for the Burn still makes no logical sense. Tilly should never be captain. But after all that, I found myself looking forward to episodes each week. The tech was good and the upgrades in season 3 were good. I like Burnham and especially Saru. Booker is a character with a lot of potential. Some of the bridge staff are a bit throwaway and we haven't seen their strengths bar the random holding breath for 6 minutes.

For context I hated DS9 which for me was Cornation street in space. I adored Voyager. Janeway was a fantastic captain. I still haven't got to see Picard (don't have prime).

The way I look at it, there were plenty of poor to awful episodes in all the older Star Treks. Some of the Number one with Diana storylines leap out at me as I write this. But the overall series was good. The 3 series of Disco are going the same way for me. Some iffy stuff but overall I like it and will remember it.

"see you at the party Richter!"

I would accept Disco in any form if it had the merit of actors like Michael Ironside and Arnie.

And head of security Marc Alaimo/Gul Dukat. Another great actor. That movie couldn't get any better.

Jason Isaac made season 1. Shame he's gone.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I actually liked most of the series. Disappointing thing for me was the head of the chain looked like the wicked witch from wizard of Oz. They were building to be a good enemy.

I quite liked that they chose an Orion woman as head baddie. In all previous ST series, Orion women had been slaves. Good to see that by the 32nd century, they had achieved emancipation.

Edit: I should also call out to Lower Decks here who had an Orion woman as a Starfleet ensign.
    The two episode send off for Philippa was pointless. She was a fantastic strong character.

She was good in those two episodes but was awful in the rest of the series (there just wasn't a place for her character on a Prime universe starship). I'm glad they wrote her out one way or another.
    For context I hated DS9 which for me was Cornation street in space.

That has got to be the oddest and most wildly inaccurate description I've heard for the show :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

think im done with this series now , it was great ,
    but series 3 is just a bucket of romantic ****e .

ah well, nothing lasts for ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

For everyone looking for positive masculinity, haven't you noticed a wealth of fatherhood themes? Saru becoming a father figure to Su'Kal. Stamets and Culber to Adira and by extension Grey. Vance being a steering presence first and then actually coming out with a fatherly anecdote. Book's brother being responsible for his planet and kind.

I’m not sure masculinity or fatherhood figures are what I am looking for. I just think I’m looking for competence. I also don’t think Saru, Stamets & Culber are father figures. If anything they are mother figures.

For example... ST Voyager was dominated by female lead characters and not once did I even think that I wanted more strong male characters. DS9 had strong women too. Not a problem.
    Between Janeway, Seven, Torres, Kira, and Dax you had strong females who would wipe the floor with every character in Discovery, male or female.

How any of these people made it to starfleet I’ll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m not sure masculinity or fatherhood figures are what I am looking for. I just think I’m looking for competence. I also don’t think Saru, Stamets & Culber are father figures. If anything they are mother figures.

For example... ST Voyager was dominated by female lead characters and not once did I even think that I wanted more strong male characters. DS9 had strong women too. Not a problem.
    Between Janeway, Seven, Torres, Kira, and Dax you had strong females who would wipe the floor with every character in Discovery, male or female.

How any of these people made it to starfleet I’ll never know.

I agree with the above and add that major kiras ability the straight up kick the sh1te out of so many dudes twice her size was totally believable because her story line was of a woman born on the battlefield ergo her abilities were earned. Only Georgeo had this going for her in discovery and the writers totally wasted it.

OK.. now as I said, I haven't watched any of this season so the context of a lot of it is lost on me. (some comments as I watched though)

- Whole holo-ship thing was like it was spliced in from another completely different episode. Someone on the production team has a Harry Potter/LOTR obsession too and who thought basing a sub-plot of trying not to trigger a recluse was a good thing
    - Pew pew... basically the same effects just as in pre-TOS Discovery. 900 years later? I see they've gone with the nonsense window on the bridge in the future than the viewscreen too
    - Stupid intro is still stupid. People complain about Enterprise, but this is far worse
    - I see the dramatic Burnham framing in the camera work and her semonising or angry shouting or crying has gone nowhere. The actress still hasn't developed any range this season
    - Tilly is still as irritating and out of place as always. Absolutely awful character. The rest are still little more than extras I see
    - More emotions and feels. These are supposed to be professional quasi-military competent officers, not a support group
    - Poorly rendered, badly lit CGI is not a substitute for coherent story telling
    - WTF is with the turbolift tubes(?) We saw an entire episode in the tubes in TNG and there wasn't miles of empty space in a ship that was far more advanced
    - I see where the Discovery does Die Hard comments came from (although the fight between Book and the other guy was more "see you at the party Richter!"), except that is an outstanding genre-defining movie. This nonsense though....
    - Wait what... Tilly is Captain now?
    - So let me get this straight. The Burn happened because yer man's mother died and he screamed? And this destroyed warp travel throughout the quadrant/galaxy?
    - I don't know what the background was with the holgram(?) they're all so upset about but whatever
    - Wraps up with another ridiculous Burnham monologue and validation and tears for how great she is of course. I'm surprised they only made her Captain. Why not skip straight to Admiral? :rolleyes:
    - Closing out with a Roddenberry quote, the Trek and then TOS theme is just a slap in the face after this nonsense.

I can see why you are all so disappointed. This is actually WORSE than the S2 finalé. Awful, awful muck!

Not to forget "Lets Fly"

chris-morris-jumps-out-window-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Rawr

The more I think about it, the more I wonder....was that an *actual finale* of the show. Could Discovery actually be finished now, and that talk of Season 4 production is really little more than just talk?

At the end of this episode you have several character arcs sort of completed (poorly):

-Saru returns to his now liberated and prosperous home-world.

-Cubert and Staments get to have their adoptive family with Aria...which sort of came out of nowhere mid-season, but alright.

-Not sure what they were going with Tilly. That's she's a great commanding officer...whenever it involves losing that command within minutes? She was one character I liked in Season 1, who broke my heart with her stupidity in Season 2, and in Season 3....just meh...

-Space Hitler gets a 2-parter where we bid her a fond(?) farewell.

-And last but no least, everyone's favourite Starfleet officer, surely the best character any of us have ever seen don a comm-badge, Michael Ni Sarek McBurnham, best of the best, and now captain at the end of her story arc which began with her starting a huge galactic war and finished with her needlessly stranding all of her crewmates 1000 years after the deaths of everyone they ever cared about. Surely a hero for all times?

And they finish it off with a Roddenberry quote, and the TOS theme. Not only the last episode of Star Trek: Discovery...but presented as if it was the last episode of Star Trek?! Are they really implying that its all been leading up to this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement