Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is your impression of Aspergers syndrome?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Unable to make or keep friends,
    No relationships.
    Clumsy gate and physically awkward.
    Unreadable handwriting.
    Overload of sounds sends me into a rage that I manage to keep internalised for the most part.
    Stimming and mild OCD.
    Unemployable until I learned that hard way.
    Now underemployed as in cr*p job.
    Poor spelling.
    Struggle to remember peoples names and faces and can get mixed up.

People over the years have described me as a retard a big child awkward creepy weird even an Alien.

Sorry Aspergers is mild Autism.

Mild on other people, not us.

I don't think this poster means you but as my wife will tell you there is a psychiatrist in Dublin related to a recent ex-minister who gives out ASD diagnosis for a nice fee of 300 euro at a pop.

Which has made it harder to actually get the proper support for people actually in need on the spectrum because you have to jump through allot of hoops as not all private diagnosis are accepted now. Additionally as your more than likely aware, the HSE is **** and does not serve anyone who needs it well.

Honest question, how did you deal with the sensory overloads and controlling the stimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've known a few Aspie folks down the years, some diagnosed(relatively recently) others not. Yes there were some commonalities, but they were a mixed bunch. The first lad I knew with it(as he found out much later) had it quite severe. I met him in my last year of schooling. Very withdrawn guy, IMHO as much down to too much social isolation as the condition itself. He was almost a cliche as he was scarily bright in a particular area. Genius level shit. Long before he sat his leaving cert several universities wanted him and not just in Ireland(He ended up in the UK because his CAO points weren't nearly enough to do his chosen subject, even though he could run rings around some lecturers in the field). I took to befriending him as I hate seeing someone socially isolated. He defo wasn't too sure of me at first(as I said scarily bright), but I wore him down. :D

Nice lad actually. He had learned to be extremely observant of people. I suppose because it didn't come naturally? Funny too. Though half the time I'd have to explain to him why I was was picking myself up from the floor laughing with tears in my eyes. That was odd actually. He'd drop a clanger that Wilde would have killed for, knowing he was doing it, but needing my explanation(?) as to why it was hilarious, or that someone else thought it funny. Then he'd crack up himself.

We kinda bonded over different weaknesses in both of us. I have dyscalculia, IE complete mental block/idiocy with maths and numbers. At least dyscalculia has been suggested as a given by a family member who's a psychiatrist, though I don't have any of the other symptoms of it. Plain thick with numbers is just as likely. Anyway he tried to help me with that, in exchange for me helping him with the social stuff(I'll talk to the wall. He was always aghast that I could walk up to a complete stranger and talk to them). Both had mixed results, but he was way more patient with me.

Another guy I knew years later was definitely on the spectrum. Very bright, but "odd". But also aware of that oddness, for the most part. He learned to be social and mostly passed as "normal". Pretty good with relationships too. Where he shone was in business negotiations. Because he is very intelligent and had observed and learned that human interaction stuff, rather than picked it up by instinct, he was unreal in business stuff. He could read a room or people like Sherlock Holmes.

I did notice - and I dunno if this is a "thing" with folks on the spectrum - that the two guys above and the others I've known on said spectrum was they were very sensitive to noise and movement and anything suddenly changing or clutter in their environment. EG I once offered a lift home to the first guy and he was clearly getting anxious if I went much beyond a certain speed. My mad teenage notion was to try and teach him to drive. He reckoned he was too uncoordinated, but TBH he ended up being among the easiest of those I taught down the years, so long as I was very precise with the instructions. He never went beyond car parks and industrial estates(oncoming traffic, any traffic, really freaked him out), but reckoned it had helped him.

People with their PC saying we are all different but we do have a lot in common that bit in bold is a nightmare for us and everybody I know on the spectrum struggles with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

That is what people call us and trust me I speak to people on the spectrum all the time.

We do mess up relationships and people do say we come across as weirdos.

Not calling anybody that simply owning the term.

I posted that before reading your comments about having Aspergers yourself. No offence intended.

My niece has Asperbergers and my nephew has autism.

My nephew got a guitar for Christmas one year. I offered to teach him how to play it. I tried to teach him some chords to the simplest song I knew but he had no interest. That was fine but I just wanted him to tell me whether he wanted me to keep trying to teach him or not. He kind of shrugged, said yeah, but kept laughing and looking over at the telly. I asked him another couple of times just to give me a straight answer and that it was okay if he wasn't interested but it was like getting blood from a stone. It's definitely hard to communicate with him. Although to be fair my brother being in the same room didn't help, neither did having the television on.

My niece just seems shy and you wouldn't know she has Asbergers.

Calhoun wrote: »

Honest question, how did you deal with the sensory overloads and controlling the stimming?

Trying to hide the stimming I don't do it around other people most of the time.:D

Sensory overloads tend to put me into a rage sometimes it can make me work faster as I take my rage out on the job.
    Other times in my life is has caused me to go off the deep end and regret it later.
    People use to laugh at me when I was younger when I got into a fluster.

I posted that before reading your comments about having Aspergers yourself. No offence intended.

My niece has Asperbergers and my nephew has autism.

My nephew got a guitar for Christmas one year. I offered to teach him how to play it. I tried to teach him some chords to the simplest song I knew but he had no interest. That was fine but I just wanted him to tell me whether he wanted me to keep trying to teach him or not. He kind of shrugged, said yeah, but kept laughing and looking over at the telly. I asked him another couple of times just to give me a straight answer and that it was okay if he wasn't interested but it was like getting blood from a stone. It's definitely hard to communicate with him. Although to be fair my brother being in the same room didn't help, neither did having the television on.

My niece just seems shy and you wouldn't know she has Asbergers.

None taken.:D

As regards your nephew I would guess he had no interest in the guitar but felt to awkward to say he did not like it.
    People on the spectrum take in a lot but don't always know how to respond.
    I guess he knew you were being kind but he though the gift sucked so he tried to gloss over your questions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its all about sensory input and output, my daughter becomes overwhelmed in big crowds. She also could be watching something and her sensory system gets overloaded.

Through occupational therapy they teach ways in how to cop with it as it will always be something that they have to manage.
    Nail on the head describing those folks I know C. As if they need input coming across in an orderly queue of sorts, rather than as a mob coming across all at once?

Funny enough C I would go batshit crazy(well...more than usual...) if I didn't have the noise mob coming in from every direction. I need the input, and output. The more input and output I have, the "calmer", or at least more content I am*.

*as we speak I have fifteen tabs open across two browsers, engaging with three ongoing convos, while I have a film on in the background that I jump in and out of(German flic "A Woman in Berlin". Good flic too.) while dipping into my iTunes playlist, with two books bookmarked and in play every so often, and a convo on WhatsApp.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Its all about sensory input and output, my daughter becomes overwhelmed in big crowds. She also could be watching something and her sensory system gets overloaded.

Through occupational therapy they teach ways in how to cop with it as it will always be something that they have to manage.

Everybody I know on the spectrum has this including me.

We might have different personalities and interests but we share common traits with varying degrees sensory overload is the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Unable to make or keep friends,
    No relationships.
    Clumsy gate and physically awkward.
    Unreadable handwriting.
    Overload of sounds sends me into a rage that I manage to keep internalised for the most part.
    Stimming and mild OCD.
    Unemployable until I learned that hard way.
    Now underemployed as in cr*p job.
    Poor spelling.
    Struggle to remember peoples names and faces and can get mixed up.

People over the years have described me as a retard a big child awkward creepy weird even an Alien.

Sorry Aspergers is mild Autism.

Mild on other people, not us.

I still think Aspergers and autism are separate disorders. I think calling Asperger syndrome mild autism does a disservice to both groups. Asperger syndrome is just as disabling as autism but in different ways. Asperger syndrome itself will have degrees of severity. There has been a loosening of diagnostic criteria of late that people with mild social issues (I am not including you amongst this group) have obtained a diagnosis of autism. The governess on the Chase has been diagnosed as autistic for Pete's sake. Diagnosing someone like her, whip smart with the ability to verbally joust with contestants, with a neuro developmental disorder is pathetic in my opinion.

The increased trivialisation of autistic diagnostic criteria along with very vocal online communities of high functioning people is marginalising people like my brother. I've even seen 'aspie' communities online make derogaratory comments about being associated with r*****s with classical autism. It is not a range of personality quirks or an identity to be proud of. My brother lost all his language as a toddler, spent years of his life crying and screaming for hours on end in torment. No amount of kumbaya changes in language will effect the fundamental reality that for many autistic people it is a very detrimental condition and those participating in online communities are not representative of all autistic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Jury's out for me on this one. I had a manager once who was an absolute prick and useless to boot. A strange individual who you never really knew what to think of, who would I overshare even though you didn't know him very well, but would throw you under a bus to protect himself. Yep I know, lots of them around! I left my long time job mainly because of how he treated me, and found out later that he had Aspergers but kept it very hidden. I thought to myself, people are literally running screaming out of the management team, and knowing that might have made us more aware of what we could and could not expect from him. He was obviously good at his previous job to get to such a high position, but really lacked the skills needed in people management, and a lot of us left

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I still think Aspergers and autism are separate disorders. I think calling Asperger syndrome mild autism does a disservice to both groups. Asperger syndrome is just as disabling as autism but in different ways. Asperger syndrome itself will have degrees of severity. There has been a loosening of diagnostic criteria of late that people with mild social issues (I am not including you amongst this group) have obtained a diagnosis of autism. The governess on the Chase has been diagnosed as autistic for Pete's sake. Diagnosing someone like her, whip smart with the ability to verbally joust with contestants, with a neuro developmental disorder is pathetic in my opinion.

The increased trivialisation of autistic diagnostic criteria along with very vocal online communities of high functioning people is marginalising people like my brother. I've even seen 'aspie' communities online make derogaratory comments about being associated with r*****s with classical autism. It is not a range of personality quirks or an identity to be proud of. My brother lost all his language as a toddler, spent years of his life crying and screaming for hours on end in torment. No amount of kumbaya changes in language will effect the fundamental reality that for many autistic people it is a very detrimental condition and those participating in online communities are not representative of all autistic people.

It was the so-called experts who decided to lump us all into the one diagnosis of ASD.
    You will notice I used the term Aspergers and somebody pulled me up on it.

Life for people like your brother and those that have to care for him must be hell and I know my life is in no way comparable.:(

I have noticed the state offers little to no support for anybody who struggles with daily life to any degree.
    I can work I can drive I can not imagine how difficult you and your brothers' life is.

• Advertisement

It was the so-called experts who decided to lump us all into the one diagnosis of ASD.
    You will notice I used the term Aspergers and somebody pulled me up on it.

Life for people like your brother and those that have to care for him must be hell and I know my life is in no way comparable.:(

I have noticed the state offers little to no support for anybody who struggles with daily life to any degree.
    I can work I can drive I can not imagine how difficult you and your brothers' life is.

We finally got a service after going to court. Thank you for your sympathy. I hope my post wasn't too aggressive towards you, it's a fairly sensitive topic to me. Your life is difficult in a different, possibly emotionally harder, way. I knew one very high functioning asperger man who was able to attend college but was unable to cope socially. The way some people with highly developed social skills treated him was appalling. It ironically highlighted the difference between cognitive empathy and emotional empathy.

screamer wrote: »
    Jury's out for me on this one. I had a manager once who was an absolute prick and useless to boot. A strange individual who you never really knew what to think of, who would I overshare even though you didn't know him very well, but would throw you under a bus to protect himself. Yep I know, lots of them around! I left my long time job mainly because of how he treated me, and found out later that he had Aspergers but kept it very hidden. I thought to myself, people are literally running screaming out of the management team, and knowing that might have made us more aware of what we could and could not expect from him. He was obviously good at his previous job to get to such a high position, but really lacked the skills needed in people management, and a lot of us left

People with Aspergers are individuals the strange bit is a trait but the bit about being a prick that would throw you under the bus that was just him.

screamer wrote: »

That sounds extraordinarily manipulative for someone with Asperger syndrome.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    We finally got a service after going to court. Thank you for your sympathy. I hope my post wasn't too aggressive towards you, it's a fairly sensitive topic to me. Your life is difficult in a different, possibly emotionally harder, way. I knew one very high functioning asperger man who was able to attend college but was unable to cope socially. The way some people with highly developed social skills treated him was appalling. It ironically highlighted the difference between cognitive empathy and emotional empathy.

Your point in red it is a disgrace you had to take things so far.
    People wonder why I am so vocal in threads about free houses being refused by people during a homeless crisis because they do not have stables for their illegal animals.
    This county is so unfair.

Your sentence in green don't be silly.;)

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nail on the head describing those folks I know C. As if they need input coming across in an orderly queue of sorts, rather than as a mob coming across all at once?

Funny enough C I would go batshit crazy(well...more than usual...) if I didn't have the noise mob coming in from every direction. I need the input, and output. The more input and output I have, the "calmer", or at least more content I am*.

*as we speak I have fifteen tabs open across two browsers, engaging with three ongoing convos, while I have a film on in the background that I jump in and out of(German flic "A Woman in Berlin". Good flic too.) while dipping into my iTunes playlist, with two books bookmarked and in play every so often, and a convo on WhatsApp.

Imagine just having you one program on and it overloading you. My daughter could watch one program of something she likes and just start stimming like crazy, its bad at the moment as she is pulling at her hair and a bald patch on a 5 year old doesnt help.

People not on the spectrum are better suited to sensory overload although they can suffer from it, anxiety is prime example as its the fight/flight being triggered.

Your point in red it is a disgrace you had to take things so far.
    People wonder why I am so vocal in threads about free houses being refused by people during a homeless crisis because they do not have stables for their illegal animals.
    This county is so unfair.

Your sentence in green don't be silly.;)

Its crazy right now, occupational therapy and most other services in the midlands and probably around the country are currently on a 2 year waiting list. We are going to have a real problem in a few years if they don't get a handle on the health system allot of kids will be left behind.

Imagine just having you one program on and it overloading you. My daughter could watch one program of something she likes and just start stimming like crazy, its bad at the moment as she is pulling at her hair and a bald patch on a 5 year old doesnt help.

People not on the spectrum are better suited to sensory overload although they can suffer from it, anxiety is prime example as its the fight/flight being triggered.

Trichotillomania (TTM), also known as hair pulling disorder.

I suffer from this too.

• oh dear. someone who doesn’t have a clue whinging about people with an illness they can’t help. Lovely. :rolleyes:

oh dear. someone who doesn’t have a clue whinging about people with an illness they can’t help. Lovely. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?:confused:

Also, Aspergers is not an illness.

• What are you talking about?:confused:

Also, Aspergers is not an illness.

The OP.

and what would you call it then? A gift from god?

• Advertisement

Trichotillomania (TTM), also known as hair pulling disorder.

I suffer from this too.

Yah this is pretty much whats happening with her. Good video, my wife would know the technical terms for it but i am just a layman so didnt know exactly what it was called.

The OP.

Read the whole thread.

The OP.

The OP has aspergers, he was just trying to start debate.

• Read the whole thread.

I don’t need to read the thread to arrive at the conclusion your OP is a fcuking joke.

Yah this is pretty much whats happening with her. Good video, my wife would know the technical terms for it but i am just a layman so didnt know exactly what it was called.

Was pulling my eyelashes for years managed to stop with the eyelashes at least.

I don’t need to read the thread to arrive at the conclusion your OP is a fcuking joke.

Not going to explain something your too lazy to read.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

OP has Aspergers. Started click bait thread to start discussion. Read the thread before casting judgement.

sullivlo wrote: »
    OP has Aspergers. Started click bait thread to start discussion. Read the thread before casting judgement.

And it worked I discovered a number of people affected by this issue.
    I also discovered most people are decent and will not stand for ignorance.
    3 people thanked that original post but 48 thanked the post calling it out which is really encouraging.

Thanks.:)

Was pulling my eyelashes for years managed to stop with the eyelashes at least.

Thankfully we are not at that stage yet, its weird right now she is in between stimming phases.

Did it take long for you to learn to control it better in public ect? I assume its a constant struggle as its more a reflex than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You've gone about this arseways.

Advertisement