Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

1464748495052»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Seanoreilly200

What does it mean by 815 over 5 weeks? does this not mean you will get 815 every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

The wages have increased since that and you'll average at 837.

If you work a Sunday you will get 907, and if you don't work it you will get 794.

You will work 2 Sundays in 5

Hi All I’ve been chatting to a few drivers on here and in my local area and the most common thing they are saying to me is that it’s very difficult to get into and you have to be of the highest standard, can anyone tell me about there experience and if this is what they experienced and was it hard to get into DB thanks

Do you have to be over 25 to drive for Dublin Bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭AX636

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wayne31

Unfortunately I failed my driving test yesterday (I've another chance in a few weeks to pass and if I fail a second time I pay for it the third time round)

The school itself, I love it. I love the driving, I was in a class of 12 split into 4 groups of 3 per bus. You could get a different instructor every day for the training period, I was very lucky that I got the same one. He was phenomenal in every aspect and were very close as are the other 2 lads I'm with, they'll already be friends for life and I only started a month ago. Nerves and a bit of bad luck failed me yesterday but I'll get it again.

If I was you I'd absolutely go for it. 100%

Thanks for the response man, I applied last week but have heard nothing back yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with the 2nd attempt I'm sure you'll get it next time. I failed my D test first time then got it 2nd time.

You'll get more training and it'll make you an even better driver.

Still heard nothing back from DB about assessment has anyone recently applied and gotten an email?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marmac73

Hey everyone, maybe a silly question but I've my medical next week. In the email there's 2 forms, 1 medical and 1 for eyes. Do I bring these blank for them to fill in? Or do I need to go gp/optician 1st?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Happy.

Yes, bring all with you.

Just popping this here, the timeline so far of my process.

Applied March 2nd

Written assessment 7th March

Driving/interview 22nd March

Medical next week 🤞🏼

Fairplay that is very quick, what day is the medical

Hi got the online assesment, can anyone let me know what to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Greenham791

Three stages,

1. Fare calculation report (different stages, cash and leap fares).

2. Written report where you have to write in 100 words what you would say if the bus was damaged or a passenger fell down the stairs etc.

3. Situational awareness test, you are given multiple scenarios you might encounter as a bus driver and have to list in order of four the best to least best way to handle that situation.

Does anyone know about references if you can use any references from working career?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭merlinengine

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the information that you've posted about the various assessments, it's been a huge help getting through the various phases. If anyone has any questions on the application to medical phase, please ask.

I have my CPC and case study in just over two weeks and I really want to do well - can anyone give me some pointers on what to concentrate on study-wise study and anything else that they found useful please?

Hi there, I had my medical last week, all good there. What happens next. Did you receive the job offer before theory test etc.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I don't remember doing a colour blind test

Cpc and theory test in 3 weeks time. Delighted to have moved on to next stage. I'm ready for theory test, I've been using the app but the cpc? Do I just read the case studies and then answer questions about the faults in the study, do I have to memorize them?

Just realizing now too my medical forms will be out of date too. Will I need to redo medical with my doc?

Thanks

Post edited by marmac73 on

Hi! I have mine on Wednesday. I'm in a similar position and the CD and book have been great to prepare for the theory test, but there is no preparation material or mock exams for the CPC, apart from giving you each of the six case studies. I did find this thread though, which is very useful;

Check out the whole thread, but posts five and eight will be the most helpful.

Thanks, I'll have read through. Best of luck on Wednesday!

I passed second time round today. Off to Harristown on Tuesday.

Hi everyone,

I start training next week(excited and nervous!) One of the things they're asking me to bring is a CPC Case Study Sheet. I'm not exactly sure what that means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,212 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

An hour is a long commute at the best of times (I did it for years! Not in DB tho) Think of it like commuting to a night shift job. If you're driving at that hour the roads will be quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 12 renalf

When you did your CPC case study or "theory test" you should have gotten a pass sheet from the RSA

• Advertisement

Yeah I have both of those. Thanks for the clarification.

Hi! I have my first day tomorrow and just wondering what I should wear? I asked for clarification, but was told to wear "my own clothes". Any suggestions?

You just wear your own clothes on the first day. They give you your uniforms at the end of the first day then you come in the uniform from then on.

Jeans, runners and a top is fine

Great, thanks. Hopefully they have my uniforms, I only got my official offer five days ago lol. Also, thanks to everyone here, this thread has been incredibly helpful preparing for all of the stages, I wouldn't have done as well without it. How are the instructors generally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭rx8

The Instructors are top class.

Some of the best driving Instructors in the country, IMHO.

You'll be fine.

• Advertisement

I see the ad is still 30th June deadline hasn't been extended yet. Is it going to be extended I wonder I've been keeping an eye on the ad for a while and usually it keeps getting extended but hasn't. Wonder are going to stop recruiting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vera Wang

I had my driving assessment and interview 2 weeks ago, at the end of the driving the instructor said I didn’t get any marks on the sheet. So I had my interview after but this morning I got an email saying they were not going to progress me to the next stage. I have my CPC, and my D permit. I’ve made every effort to put myself in a good place for the recruitment. And now I don’t know what to do, I’ve done a couple of D lessons too. Should I keep going or go back to my hospitality job that I hate. Any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭rx8

If it's the learner permit that you have, you could try Go-Ahead if it's the full D licence, then pretty much everywhere is looking for drivers. So, Aircoach, Bus Eireann, Matthews, ... lots of them

Bus Eireann would be a good option if you ultimately want Dublin Bus, should be easy enough to transfer over after a few months.

I suppose Go-Ahead would be a good option but they are a difficult company to work for at least in my experience. Aircoach will put you on the carpark shuttle buses when you start out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vera Wang

I got a spot on the VEC Bus Driver course if I get my D license, can I reapply to Dublin Bus or do I have to wait till next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

I am currently preparing for the D licence & CPC test. I have a subscription with dttonline. So to study for the D lic. exam ; if i just read the multiple choice questions(There are a couple of hundred) and run the practice/mock tests it should be enough. I don't need to read the books? The cpc section has me somewhat confused. There are six scenarios or short stories. No practice questions on these listed? Am I supposed to point what the driver did wrong myself? Is that what the cpc exam is?

Hello,

It is recommended to study the below for the cpc test. How much of Driving goods vehicles do we need to study?

• The Official Driver Theory Test Truck & Buses (Including Step 1 and Step 2 of Driver CPC) - available as interactive PC CD-ROM and mobile apps, and as a book.
    • The Rules of the Road
    • Driving Goods Vehicles – The Official Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) UK Guide

Or if you are doing the Bus Theory Test:

• Driving Buses and Coaches – The Official Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) UK Guide

I'd imagine the DVSA is not much use in Ireland

That is what is recomended in officiall DTT online training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭yagan

I went along to a Buseireann open day a while ago and reckoned at this stage of my life it would suit perfectly, I've been doing the same jobs for decades and needed a change and the recruiter at the open day was very encouraging for me to apply.

Now they listed things I needed to have before applying. I passed the D license permit test and am just waiting for the card to arrive in the post, but this CPC thing has me flummoxed. At the Buseireann open day their recruiter said don't worry about the CPC as they said they needed only a CPC "sheet", which I assumed at the time was some form I had to bring.

I can't make sense of the RSA website as there's two fees listed for a CPC test, can't figure out which one is relevant to my situation.

Anyone got a link to the relevant CPC test I need to do at this stage? I'm starting to think it's all very convoluted and I'd be better off just keep at what I'm at but just scale back.

It's this

https://theorytest.ie/book-your-theory-test/cpc-driver-certificate-of-professional-competence/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭yagan

Thanks. I can see why they're struggling to get drivers in some parts of the country as the process to get to even applying to buseireann is awfully drawn out.

I'll get back to it maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 djm1234

I've been reading a lot of posts on this thread with great interest.

I have a competency based interview shortly. Understand it's about being safety-aware.

Is it basically common sense or are there are parts of it that can be prepared for?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 LF403

Go elsewhere, like GAI for a year - then to Airocach. They're desperate enough for drivers that there's a chance of going straight onto the coaches when you arrive with experience.

Even the carparks are a handy number if you can hack the repetitiveness of it.

Advertisement