Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil promo code Topoil

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Depending on the weather their does be a dew/water line on the Tank showing the oil level aswell. Ya don't have to go near it.

Thanks. So is this just a see through window slit in to the tank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Anyone know is this still working or have another code. The codes are not working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

6541 wrote: »
    Anyone know is this still working or have another code. The codes are not working for me.

topoilweb is working for 15 off 500

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

Got 20e off 800ltr with heat2016 came to 363.99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

topoilweb is working for 15 off 500

Cheers Whimsical...got 15 off 500 as well :)

• Advertisement

Got my first fill of oil from Top about a month ago. Got 500 litres. We seem to have flown through this 500 litres. Other 500 litres from other supplier has lasted 2 months. But this one from top nearly gone in 5 weeks. I know it may be down to usage but we have the heating on at same times and nothing excessive about our usage in this period.

Anyone find they are going through the top oil quicker ? Or is all oil essentially the same quality and does not waste any quicker than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

500 LITRES IN TWO MONTHS!!!!!!! - OOOOOOOOOOOO MYYYYY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!

WOW!

How would you even use that in 2 months? 12 hours in the morning and 12 at night?

WOW!

How would you even use that in 2 months? 12 hours in the morning and 12 at night?

It's a 5 bed house. And no open fire or stove etc. So it's the only form of heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

It's a 5 bed house. And no open fire or stove etc. So it's the only form of heat.

Serious oil bills for you when a barrel of oil hits $200 in the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

WOW!

We've had the heating on maximum 4 hours a day and are burning around 200L a month. We wouldn't usually use it as much but took advantage of the cheap prices this year and enjoyed an extra bit of warmth.

• Advertisement

forumuser wrote: »
    We've had the heating on maximum 4 hours a day and are burning around 200L a month. We wouldn't usually use it as much but took advantage of the cheap prices this year and enjoyed an extra bit of warmth.

Is this your only form of heat ?
    What size house ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Got my first fill of oil from Top about a month ago. Got 500 litres. We seem to have flown through this 500 litres. Other 500 litres from other supplier has lasted 2 months. But this one from top nearly gone in 5 weeks. I know it may be down to usage but we have the heating on at same times and nothing excessive about our usage in this period.

Anyone find they are going through the top oil quicker ? Or is all oil essentially the same quality and does not waste any quicker than others.
    Fraud in misreporting oil delivered, as well as redirecting oil once it has gone past the meter, or even siphoning it up after putting it in the tank to falsify meter readings, are among various possible methods of committing fraud to rip off customers.

It's a thing that there is past precedent of in Ireland, though no idea how common - so directly measuring the amount of oil received is probably a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Is this your only form of heat ?
    What size house ?

House is 2300sq ft, we have a stove but it doesn't have a back boiler so oil is the only thing that heats the rads. Don't know if usage is good, bad or average tbh, just reacting to the O M G reaction.

forumuser wrote: »
    House is 2300sq ft, we have a stove but it doesn't have a back boiler so oil is the only thing that heats the rads. Don't know if usage is good, bad or average tbh, just reacting to the O M G reaction.

Yeah I get ya. Yeah, our use is not excessive or anything. The OMG reaction is maybe a bit OTT alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I got 500ltr a week before Xmas from this offer from Top oil. I was completely out of oil at that stage. The tank was filled just under half way. The tank is fatter at the bottom so is about right. Looked at the receipt and saw the usual info. Noticed it took 4 minutes and 45 seconds to put in 500ltr.

When the price fell a good bit in Feb, I went and ordered 500 more. It was filled while I was at work. I checked the tank and it was again, just below halfway. The receipt said it took 4 min to put in 500ltr.

We have a condensing boiler, zoned and not on for more than a few hours am evening. We'be a boiler stove so this heats the rads. It's a recent renovation so all in top working order.

It will be the last time I avail of this 'deal'.
    If I was ever to, I would get them to fill the tank to the top so there would be no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

bunderoon wrote: »
    I got 500ltr a week before Xmas from this offer from Top oil. I was completely out of oil at that stage. The tank was filled just under half way. The tank is fatter at the bottom so is about right. Looked at the receipt and saw the usual info. Noticed it took 4 minutes and 45 seconds to put in 500ltr.

When the price fell a good bit in Feb, I went and ordered 500 more. It was filled while I was at work. I checked the tank and it was again, just below halfway. The receipt said it took 4 min to put in 500ltr.

We have a condensing boiler, zoned and not on for more than a few hours am evening. We'be a boiler stove so this heats the rads. It's a recent renovation so all in top working order.

If I was ever to, I would get them to fill the tank to the top so there would be no question.
    Any chance someone could be robbing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

bunderoon wrote: »

ripped off?

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    ripped off?

Is the lid locked?

Fraud in misreporting oil delivered, as well as redirecting oil once it has gone past the meter, or even siphoning it up after putting it in the tank to falsify meter readings, are among various possible methods of committing fraud to rip off customers.

It's a thing that there is past precedent of in Ireland, though no idea how common - so directly measuring the amount of oil received is probably a good idea.

Surely a big company like Top would not do stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

incredibile amount of scaremongering and bs being spouted in this thread, not everybody is out to rip you off, if you have any doubts contact the company, if your still not happy then switch suppliers,

• Advertisement

I was more thinking that they delivered no problem. But I know I've read of oil being stolen from people after it has been delivered. Might be possibke. I'd say no way would they mess with the litreage....

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I've cctv and the tank is always locked.
    Obviously I could be a bit out as regards usage, but not by much.

Anyway. If anyone has still got their receipts they should post the delivery duration for 500 ltrs here do we could compare.

Surely a big company like Top would not do stuff like this.
    I've no idea - and am definitely not claiming they do or would - it's just worth being cynical and double checking, making sure that tank fills are measured.

The duration wouldn't be an accurate measure - you'd need to get a measure stick and just check that before/after orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

This is probably most unlikely reason, but did you get boiler serviced? I have once used 700l in just month and then found out that boiler was broken and was wasting a lot of fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Or is all oil essentially the same quality and does not waste any quicker than others.

All home heat, petrol, diesel sold by every brand / garage / distributor is identical.

Some do add in an additive to petrol/diesel, but most research says this is purely a marketing gimmick.

Oil comes out of the ground, brought to massive refineries who refine it into various fuels and then sell it on to distributors.

For Ireland the 2 refineries suppling the market are Whitegate in Cork and Pembroke in UK. Most compnaies would source from both.

The past month has been a lot colder than Dec/Jan, especially at night. Even a 2-3 degree air temp difference will make a difference to useage. - Its hardly rocket science - Colder = more energy to heat to required temp, milder = less energy to heat to required temp.

Its quite amazing that there arte about 6 posters above that have suddenly nticed that they have used more oil in the last month / 6 weeks than the previous month / 6 weeks.

All have the conspiracy thoery as their first port of call - "it must be the oil company" or "it must be the quality of oil"

Maybe just maybe its NATURE! - Colder weather, especially at night for the past month compared to January or December.

Each change of a degree uses / saves about 3% of energy. Turn thermostat down from 20 to 19 and SEAI says it will save 3%.
    But likewise if the outside temp is -2 at 6am as it has been regularly for the past month rather than +5 as it was most of Dec/jan (virtually no frost), that will use up an awful lot more fuel.

Sorry if a common sense and verifiable answer (check Met eireann records) doesn't suit suit the conspiracy theory,

VincePP wrote: »
    Its quite amazing that there arte about 6 posters above that have suddenly nticed that they have used more oil in the last month / 6 weeks than the previous month / 6 weeks.

All have the conspiracy thoery as their first port of call - "it must be the oil company" or "it must be the quality of oil"

Maybe just maybe its NATURE! - Colder weather, especially at night for the past month compared to January or December.

Each change of a degree uses / saves about 3% of energy. Turn thermostat down from 20 to 19 and SEAI says it will save 3%.
    But likewise if the outside temp is -2 at 6am as it has been regularly for the past month rather than +5 as it was most of Dec/jan (virtually no frost), that will use up an awful lot more fuel.

Sorry if a common sense and verifiable answer (check Met eireann records) doesn't suit suit the conspiracy theory,

I know exactly what your saying............but we have the heat on the same timer etc as we had back in December, so nothing has changed as regards extra usage. And the boiler was serviced a couple of months ago also.

I know exactly what your saying............but we have the heat on the same timer etc as we had back in December, so nothing has changed as regards extra usage. And the boiler was serviced a couple of months ago also.

The WEATHER changed. To heat a colder house (caused by colder weather) to the identical required temp takes more energy.

In the freeezing winter of 2009/10 I used three full tanks of oil. This winter I have yet to use one full tank. Same house, same boiler - difference was in 2009/10 it was below freezing for a long period day and night.

December 2015 and through to mid January was the mildest December / Jan period for many years - In the uk it was virtually frost free which never happened before. Temps over a 24 hour period were over 8 degrees on average - that's over double the norm.

The Feb 2016 ave temp in UK was 3.9 degrees. - less than half that of December.

Basic math will tell you it will take a lot more oil / energy to heat from average outside 3.9 degree temp to indoor 20 degree than 8 degree to 20 degree. And its not just the heting up to - it maintaining the temperature difference between outside and inside. To get an accurate answer you would need to find someone who understands Thermodynamics - but a 4 degree difference in a average sized house would use approx one kilowatt hour per hour to maintain that difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I put on a jumper.

Advertisement