Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

It could well be the case that you need to provide proof that you live in Austria before you can purchase a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

And another piece of good news; this is really interesting, wouldn't expect the ECDC to be cheerleading anything dangerous:-

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/air-travel-should-not-be-considered-high-risk-for-spreading-covid-19-ecdc-1.4425595

So when I read the study I posted above I was worried about air travel. But then I thought, planes are still operating and staff are on planes etc but there is little other evidence of spread. So maybe the plane one I referred to is just another example of a super spreading event, which could just have easily happened in another environment?

You'd have to expected the ECDC to have looked at the literature before making this recommendation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

France planning to keep their own skiers at home.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55157175

is_that_so wrote: »
    France planning to keep their own skiers at home.

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

I see most Austrian resorts are opening on the 24th of 25th December, but only for locals or daytrippers as hotels etc can't open until 7th January.
    Anyone with a booking for mid January to Austria should see it happen based on the current plans.
    I was not confident enough to book anything for this season.
    Good luck to anyone planning a trip.

I see most Austrian resorts are opening on the 24th of 25th December, but only for locals or daytrippers as hotels etc can't open until 7th January.

There not be many foreign day trippers I imagine, Austria is closing it's borders until Jan 7th, with those entering needing to quarantine on arrival.

Serious snow for the Dolomites at the moment. I would have been LAPPING it up as work diary went quiet. Although have just noticed my passport out of date as have had no need for it for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just deferred my trip to Austria on 9th January to 2022. Bummer, but I don’t think it would have been much of a trip if no apres ski etc ( not that I do anything wild, just a nice meal and a few quiet drinks in the evening.) Just too much uncertainty sadly. We could even be facing more lockdown here after Christmas. Have a second trip booked for end of Feb, but not hugely optimistic on that front either, but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

a148pro wrote: »
    Serious snow for the Dolomites at the moment. I would have been LAPPING it up as work diary went quiet. Although have just noticed my passport out of date as have had no need for it for so long.

It’s snowing heavily everywhere in the alps too. It’s taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm lucky enough to be in Switzerland for work right now. Covid numbers are still quite bad but for now it looks like the resorts will open.

For all the snow there isn't that much open right now, the higher resorts are partially open with more having their opening this weekend. I was in Saas Fee last Sunday and hope to go again tomorrow. They had 50km open last weekend but a portion of that was closed again as we had too much snow! They are supposed to have 65km according to my Ski Pass App this weekend so delighted with that.

Any qs, fire away.

• Advertisement

The noise coming from the Swiss is ratcheting up every day, and some cantons have already taken action, e.g. Graubunden have closed restaurants. The Swiss numbers are also sky high at the moment, still around the 5,000 per day mark. Will be interesting to see what they do in the coming weeks.

This video is quite good, although you may need to understand some German to fully appreciate it (-:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFaFuGfGaa4

skallywag wrote: »
    The noise coming from the Swiss is ratcheting up every day, and some cantons have already taken action, e.g. Graubunden have closed restaurants. The Swiss numbers are also sky high at the moment, still around the 5,000 per day mark. Will be interesting to see what they do in the coming weeks.

There is friction between the Federal Gov and the cantons and also accros the Röstigraben. The Romandes are none too happy that the Federal Gov have imposed federal restrictions just as the Romande cantons open their restaurants again. They see this as a reaction to numbers worsening on the German side, though in fairness the numbers in the french speaking cantons are bad too but stable.

I could def see the mountain restaurants being shut but I think the slopes will remain open unless there is an incident of some type. 5000 a day is bad but it is far better than a month ago and that is being seen as something of a win at least here in Vaud.

Indeed, the Swiss are extremely canton orientated and do not take kindly to being told what to do from central gov, and things are indeed better than going back a few weeks. If it goes back to the situation where they have to export covid cases outside of the country again due to hospital capacity then it may force their hand, who knows.

Yeah, that would probably do it all right. If that happens we will have another round of restrictions.

The decreasing numbers was very positive but this week saw a small increase. There is a distinct increase in activity too since the restaurants opened round here.

That plus Christmas will only see cases go one way I think. For the most part the mountains are being well run/organised but you still have to share gondolas/cabins etc. They're not full capacity but they are full at times. That plus restaurants are the danger for the resorts. Ironically when more slopes/mountains open it might be better as the traffic will be distributed better.

This also made me chuckle ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiygTGPc1s

General opening of mountains due in Switzerland on Saturday however there is due a press conference from the federal government tomorrow to address our worsening numbers.

I am worried.

All resorts in the Kanton of St.Gallen shall close from December 22nd onwards, that has already been decided. Not sure about other kantons. Switzerland has done little or nothing in terms of measures so far and I believe that they now know that the game is up.

It looks like the writing is on the wall for us all right. It has been left up to cantons with an r below 1 to decide for themselves however.

I will try and get a few days between now and the 22nd.

• Advertisement

The hospitals in Bern have asked for the resorts in that kanton to close. That's a big one, it's a huge skiing kanton.

Running through the news sites here. Valais are saying hospitals won't take injured skiers. Vaud saying that for now mountains will remain open but another decision will be made on 22nd.

I know there are more things than skiing in life and people have lost loved ones. But what a horrible year all round.

Situation in Austria is quite daft, from the schools will close until Jan 18th under a third hard lockdown, but the resorts can still open if the local gov approves it. So you could have a situation where your kids and yourself are forced to stay at home but the ski resorts are running ...

Situation in Austria is quite daft, from the schools will close until Jan 18th under a third hard lockdown, but the resorts can still open if the local gov approves it. So you could have a situation where your kids and yourself are forced to stay at home but the ski resorts are running ...

That's fcking outrageous, and frankly dangerous. How will my kids survive while I go skiing for two weeks?

Back from my forth day on the mountain this season. Seriously impressed with the setup today. Granted it wasn't that busy but groups being kept to their own Gondola, queing areas clearly marked for up to 100m meters back at first lift, and all the charlift lanes segregated.

I haven't always felt safe this year but today was perfectly fine, I didn't even get close to another human being only the one with me.

hmmm, it's not looking to great for skiing right now is it

• Advertisement

hmmm, it's not looking to great for skiing right now is it

Unfortunately I’d imagine none of us will get any skiing this season unless the roll out of the vaccine is fast and wide across Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

maddness wrote: »
    Unfortunately I’d imagine none of us will get any skiing this season unless the roll out of the vaccine is fast and wide across Europe.

Yeah, realistically it’s not going to happen. Probably the thing I look forward to most each year. Hopefully 2022 will be back to normal.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. I. Will. Ski. This. Year.

By which I mean this season.

I'm not sure how, and it may just be in Scotland, it may just be in fecking Ireland, but i'll do it. On principle. Not giving in to this.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. I. Will. Ski. This. Year.

By which I mean this season.

I'm not sure how, and it may just be in Scotland, it may just be in fecking Ireland, but i'll do it. On principle. Not giving in to this.

Switzerland currently has no quarantine on arrival for Irish arrivals.

In fairness, you're right. And if we're locked down here anyway there may be no point in not going. My family may be unimpressed with me going into the devil's mouth though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭mulbot

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Switzerland currently has no quarantine on arrival for Irish arrivals.

That's where I'm looking at for Jan. Only thing, I don't want to book yet as I want to see are this "government" going to shut down all flights, similar to the UK

Surely the better strategy would be to allow people to travel from the UK unimpeded, make no effort whatsoever to test them or ensure they are actually quarantining, then ban flights but let people fly to Belfast and come down etc etc

All while criminalising people who want to visit or rent a holiday home or go for a walk up a hill or forest or cycle into an adjacent county

That seems very logical doesn't it?

The above are why, since March, I've been following my own public health rules. Cannot be led by the salaried and pensioned no matter what idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I'm converting my ski bookings to MTB bookings in June. Changing the ferry and co-working booking to then. Too much uncertainty and not knowing what's going to happen with restrictions in Jan/Feb. If there's a potential late season last minute booking I'll jump on that but my 2+ month plan of work/ski is not going to happen (defer to 2022 instead!).

My family may be unimpressed with me going into the devil's mouth though.

I know what you mean. I suppose the important thing for me would be my ability to not expose anyone to anything. If you can test on way home and again after a few days the risk is pretty minimal. But that's up to you to decide.

I was in Saas Fee yesterday. Much busier than Leysin on Sun and they have much more enclosed lift system. Social distancing is impossible on the gondolas.

On the upside mask wearing is almost universal. You can pull them down on the piste but anywhere near a lift they're on.

mulbot wrote: »
    That's where I'm looking at for Jan. Only thing, I don't want to book yet as I want to see are this "government" going to shut down all flights, similar to the UK

In fairness I'm not sure I'd book too far in advance. Switzerland take countries on and off the q list frequently and the situation regarding which mountains are open is very fluid at the moment. Christmas could have a huge impact on the numbers here which would meant that action at either a cantonal or federal level would be likely

Agree completely with PCeeeee above. I'd only be booking if you can get a full refund if things do not pan out. Which could perhaps be possible this year, at least concerning accommodation?

I’ll be looking to see if I can go last minute for a few days in March or April to wherever I can ski without quarantine or restrictions. I am happy to get a test on return and if it means a few days away doing what I love doing it’s worth it.

maddness wrote: »
    I’ll be looking to see if I can go last minute for a few days in March or April to wherever I can ski without quarantine or restrictions. I am happy to get a test on return and if it means a few days away doing what I love doing it’s worth it.

I think everything will be infinitely more positive in March. My opinion counts as much as as other random lad on the Internet tho...

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I think everything will be infinitely more positive in March. My opinion counts as much as as other random lad on the Internet tho...

Spoken with true Swiss groundless optimism, but still with that 'let's do nothing urgently' attitude (-:

Spoken with true Swiss groundless optimism, but still with that 'let's do nothing urgently' attitude (-:

I don't see my optimism as groundless. But i respect that it could be seen as such.

It remains my belief.

• Advertisement

Well the numbers in Switzerland (and indeed also over the Rhine in Austria) are still massively high, CH at 5,000 cases per day and AT back up at nearly 3,000. The worrying thing too is that the recent lockdown did not really help as much as expected in the case of Austria, which locked down hard but is still at 3,000 cases per day.

Season kicked off today in Austria and we are all wondering how long it will last. Wearing the FFP2 mask is a real pain, and getting it on and off considering the helmet is a complete dose. Most are just leaving them on all the time, which is not so pleasant if you are going full pelt and breathing hard. Those with season tickets will try to get out now as much as possible, for fear of the pin been pulled at any time.

I do indeed hope you are correct though and things do indeed pick up.

Well the numbers in Switzerland (and indeed also over the Rhine in Austria) are still massively high, CH at 5,000 cases per day and AT back up at nearly 3,000. The worrying thing too is that the recent lockdown did not really help as much as expected in the case of Austria, which locked down hard but is still at 3,000 cases per day.

Season kicked off today in Austria and we are all wondering how long it will last. Wearing the FFP2 mask is a real pain, and getting it on and off considering the helmet is a complete dose. Most are just leaving them on all the time, which is not so pleasant if you are going full pelt and breathing hard. Those with season tickets will try to get out now as much as possible, for fear of the pin been pulled at any time.

I do indeed hope you are correct though and things do indeed pick up.

Well you got out anyhow ðŸ˜႒

I can't but be positive Skallywag. I'm not sure i want to think about another year of this crap. Enjoy it while you can.

Quite a bit of chat about the scenes at the lifts today ...

You need to keep in mind that the schools are fully shut until Jan 18th, to grab the full context.

image00002-3-768x576.jpeg

A view from higher back ...

image00010-768x576.jpeg

Where?

I think I see a Swiss flag there in the close up?

Damuels, Austria.

The flag is to welcome the normally welcome neighbours (-:

Pics look terrible alright. Verbier had similar enough scenes earlier but things seems to have settled a bit now. Not that I've been.

Hopefully they'll learn from it. The lift companie's approach really makes a difference. According to Vol.at there's an FFP2 mask requirement?

It's my own belief that outside is mostly safe, it's the Gondola's that are really a risk. But those pics look terrible from an optics point of view.

Yes, there is an FFP2 requirement. I do not believe that folk will learn though, most skiers do not care so mich, and the resorts just want the cash.

I agree with you, outside is probably fine, but when you are bunched in like that waiting to get on a lift for 10 minutes or more? As much as I love getting out in it myself I cannot see myself getting out this year in scenes like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Skallywag - Very nice! But the tight crowd looks like it could raise an alarm with the health services. Are you living in Austria at the moment?

I'm envious sitting here in Galway with very heavy rain & high wind pounding my house. I guess there's always waterskiing available in my garden or driveway - both are flooded!

I'm curious, do the FFP2 masks cause goggles to fog faster or leave a gap for air to rush in when going fast?

Have fun but do stay safe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement