Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2015, 01:01   #1
davedanon

Cool runnings

This is my training log. I've been wanting to start one for a while, but there didn't seem much point until I got London out of the way. I'm feeling a bit aimless now, as it happens, but I hope this will help cement things in my mind. I'm also starting it because a training diary is a useful tool for tracking progress, and while I'm an assiduous logger of my miles on Garmin Connect, there is a lack of detail to individual runs, unless you post notes, but I think this is a better option. So, I'm doing this for me, but any feedback garnered, be it positive or otherwise, will be extremely useful and gratefully received. The potted history goes like so:

I'm 52, and I've been running since 2008. I have my wife, and sister, in different ways, to thank for the fact that I lined up at the start of the 2008 RS 5 mile in the park and subsequently ran 40:xx. Then I did the 10, and the half. The marathon I (wisely) left until 2009. I had joined Tallaght AC, and after lots and lots of miles, I ran DCM 2009 and miraculously finished in 3:47. This was a minute quicker than my one previous marathon, DCM 1983, when as an undertrained 20 year-old I struggled home in a terrible state, and that was when the route went through my native village of Raheny. Oh the shame, now thankfully expunged. My marathon experience has been very much one of a good day, followed by an indifferent or outright bad one, but bit by bit the times have come down, sub 3:30, then 3:20, until I ran 3:14:18 in London 2015. That brings it up to date. My current goals are to spend the next couple of months training for shorter stuff, then have a crack at another pb in October at the DCM, but to be honest I'm very much feeling my way. After Derry last spring I had a disaster in October, but then so did many. My ultimate aim is to have a couple of decent cracks at sub-3, or at least as close to it as I can get. Dublin is very possibly not the best place for that, and I will need every possible advantage to pull this off. At the moment I think I've recovered well, but my feeling is that one only has so many hard marathons in the legs, and if I do Dublin it's because I always do it, rather than as part of a long-term plan. Which seems a bit vague and unfocussed, and possibly even a waste of precious time. All of which is a typically long-winded way of saying that I'm not 100% sure of what I'm at here yet. Sort of making it up as I go along kind of thing. So here goes....
Advertisement
09-05-2015, 07:31   #2
kit3

Good to see this D - will follow with interest. Cool title Happy running !

Last edited by kit3; 09-05-2015 at 07:41.
Thanks from:
09-05-2015, 08:41   #3
TRR_the_turd

Good stuff Dave. I will only read this log if you promise to provide a weekly update with photographs detailing "happy Friday"
(2) thanks from:
09-05-2015, 15:46   #4
davedanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR_the_turd View Post
Good stuff Dave. I will only read this log if you promise to provide a weekly update with photographs detailing "happy Friday"
That shouldn't be a problem. Recipes also available...
09-05-2015, 17:35   #5
davedanon

Monday 4th
3 mile easy. Got meet time wrong, so cut run short when I encountered colleagues on their way back.

Tuesday 5th
3 mile tempo, with 3.5 mile warm-up/cool-down.
1.5 @ 8.30 (approx)
3 @ 6.50 (approx)
2 @ 9.00 (approx)

Wednesday 6th
5 mile easy
5 @ 8.41

Thursday 7th
5x.2 mile interval, 4 mile warm-up/cool-down
2 @ 8.14
1 @ 6.00 (Time/pace splits: 1.13/6.03, 1.13/6.03, 1.12/6.02, 1.11/5.58, 1.09/5.52)
2 @ 9.09

Friday 8th
Day off

Saturday 9th
Tymon parkrun, 3 mile warm-up/cool-down.
1.63 @ 8.27
3.1 @ 6.23 (19:48)
1.3 @ 9.20

Sunday 10th
A belated 10 mile long run. Hangover at last permitting, I set off, with the vague notion of finding somewhere different to run, and initially planned to run into the park down from the house, over the notorious 'whistling' bridge and up to Old Bawn, then from there over towards the Stocking lane hill. However, I got sidetracked, and ended up down at the end of Seskin View road where it meets the bypass. There is a little river that flows into the Dodder here, and I decided to follow its course back up towards Tallaght. I've something of a fascination with the local rivers, but I'm not sure what this one is called. One map refers to it as the Tallaght stream, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Anyway, it follows the bypass, then goes into Sean Moore park, out the other side and through Killinarden ((a smoky little fire beside one of the bridges I crossed was the stand-out feature here). After that it crosses the bypass and heads off through Jobstown, which was where I left it, and took the steep hill road that climbs out of Killinarden up to the bottom of Horan's Lane, which I'm sure is familiar to some of you. On the way back towards Kiltipper, I stumbled across a little turnstile I had never noticed before, and ran through some fields that were criss-crossed by little trails, and eventually came out on the path at the new-ish park between Kiltipper Woods and the Waterworks. The Holy Grail of running - the path less travelled. Well, for me anyway. Then I followed the path back and down Kiltipper, going around by the bridge again. Thoroughly enjoyable, I barely noticed the miles going by.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/770808346

Miles for the week: 36

A slightly eccentric week, for various reasons. Got time wrong on Monday; watch problems on Tuesday, hence vague timings. Work prevented attendance at club on Thursday, so did 5x1 laps of Bros Pearse's dinky little grass track (322m, or .2m, btw). Parkrun on Saturday, just to see where I'm at, speed-wise, with Terenure looming. Quite happy with a steady run culminating in a hard finish to stave off some competition and a sub-20 result.
I'm still in recovery from London, so mileage is being kept low, with a couple of more intense, but still fairly short, runs. Three speed sessions in the week all the same. Feeling quite fresh so pleased with progress post-London.

Last edited by davedanon; 10-05-2015 at 20:33. Reason: forgot some stuff
Advertisement
09-05-2015, 19:19   #6
paddybarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedanon View Post
Monday 4th
3 mile easy. Got meet time wrong, so cut run short when I encountered colleagues on their way back.

Tuesday 5th
3 mile tempo, with 3.5 mile warm-up/cool-down.
1.5 @ 8.30 (approx)
3 @ 6.50 (approx)
2 @ 9.00 (approx)

Wednesday 6th
5 mile easy
5 @ 8.41

Thursday 7th
5x.2 mile interval, 4 mile warm-up/cool-down
2 @ 8.14
1 @ 6.00 (Time/pace splits: 1.13/6.03, 1.13/6.03, 1.12/6.02, 1.11/5.58, 1.09/5.52)
2 @ 9.09

Friday 8th
Day off

Saturday 9th
Tymon parkrun, 3 mile warm-up/cool-down.
1.63 @ 8.27
3.1 @ 6.23 (19:48)
1.3 @ 9.20

Sunday 10th
At the time of writing, not sure if it's boards trail, or club sunday, run...

A slightly eccentric week, for various reasons. Got time wrong on Monday; watch problems on Tuesday, hence vague timings. Work prevented attendance at club on Thursday, so did 5x1 laps of Bros Pearse's dinky little grass track (322m, or .2m, btw). Parkrun on Saturday, just to see where I'm at, speed-wise, with Terenure looming. Quite happy with a steady run culminating in a hard finish to stave off some competition and a sub-20 result.
I'm still in recovery from London, so mileage is being kept low, with a couple of more intense, but still fairly short, runs. Three speed sessions in the week all the same. Feeling quite fresh so pleased with progress post-London.
I was down at Tymon today. Tough course, will say hello next time.
PB
10-05-2015, 12:07   #7
davedanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddybarry View Post
I was down at Tymon today. Tough course, will say hello next time.
PB
Ah yes, think I know who you are now. You're a regular down there, aren't you?
10-05-2015, 12:55   #8
paddybarry

Quote:
Ah yes, think I know who you are now. You're a regular down there, aren't you?
Yeah, I have done a good few Parkruns. Would often do some sessions down at Tymon aswell.
10-05-2015, 13:01   #9
davedanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddybarry View Post
Yeah, I have done a good few Parkruns. Would often do some sessions down at Tymon aswell.
Yeah, it's our backyard, as the yanks would say. Currently we're doing hill sessions on Thursday nights beside the steel monument thingy, and tempo runs on Tuesdays which are basically a lap of the park, taking in the laneway across the M50.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-05-2015, 13:05   #10
Pacing Mule

Nice one Dave. Will be following this with interest.
Thanks from:
10-05-2015, 13:31   #11
Murph_D

Ah sh1t, Dave, I was under the impression for some reason that you were one of the few, if any, on here who was older than me. Are you sure you're only 52?

Good to see you start a log. Great run in London.
(4) thanks from:
10-05-2015, 16:28   #12
kit3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph_D View Post
Ah sh1t, Dave, I was under the impression for some reason that you were one of the few, if any, on here who was older than me. Are you sure you're only 52?

I don't know Murph - have you checked out TBL - the way he talks he could be the granddaddy of us all (although I do suspect that this may not be the case )
Thanks from:
10-05-2015, 16:34   #13
davedanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph_D View Post

Are you saying I post like an oul' fella? I thought my stuff was youthful, vibrant and vigorous in tone!
Thanks from:
10-05-2015, 16:44   #14
Murph_D

Quote:
Are you saying I post like an oul' fella? I thought my stuff was youthful, vibrant and vigorous in tone!
Not at all - just that I'd noticed your unusual age band category in the 1000 mile thread. If you're M51 that means you must be older than me.
13-05-2015, 01:35   #15
davedanon

Monday 11th
5 miles easy. Club run with colleagues who ran quite slowly, but I wasn't bothered. Glutes noticeably tender after yesterday's run, was putting it down to Killinarden hill until I remembered I'd done a bit of scrambling up and down some quite steep inclines as well. Silly boy. Pace very easy but all the same I felt a bit empty and wobbly as we finished. Was gratified to discover a biscuit tin full of bourbon creams and jaffa cakes in the clubhouse kitchen.

5m @ 10.03

Tuesday 12th
Tuesday night is tempo night. 3m with 3.5 warm-up and cool-down. With Terenure on Sunday decided not to add an extra mile, and also made sure not to shoot off at 6.30 pace like last week, so stayed with a few other lads and tried to keep a lid on proceedings. Running economy felt a little off, probably a combination of a sore arse and too much snacking prior to running (doesn't agree with me), and after a mile I worried that I was working too hard to maintain the pace and should probably slow down. The male ego being what it is, I carried on of course, and eventually finished 2nd out of the group, gratifyingly holding off a couple of challenges for a 6.38 average. Either it's a tough but perfectly-judged dress-rehearsal for Sunday, or I've left my race in Tymon park. Time will tell.

Splits as follows:
mile 1 6.39
mile 2 6.43
mile 3 6.31

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size