Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-05-2019, 12:00   #46
suicide_circus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
.I also hope that as we approach the anniversary of the 8th amendment vote that both sides will refrain from hijacking this very sad situation for their own political aims.
it has to be pointed out that tragic cases were used to promote the Repeal campaign.
suicide_circus is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 12:03   #47
corner of hells
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by orourkeda1977 View Post
This is the case we've all been waiting for.
This is what you've been waiting for ?

For Jaysus sake.
corner of hells is offline  
17-05-2019, 12:08   #48
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Garden View Post
There are no winners in complex situations like this. I am not sure about your empathy to be honest.
Agreed. It seems at times that being anti abortion in all circumstances is just a "sticking it to the left and the feminists" position, by people who hardly seem like they give a sh1t about unborn babies (their eagerness to throw in "leftie liberal woke" whatever reinforces this). They certainly don't seem to give a sh1t about many living babies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orourkeda1977 View Post
This is the case we've all been waiting for.
"We've all" what?

Last edited by Gimme A Pound; 17-05-2019 at 12:15.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
17-05-2019, 12:16   #49
yourdeadwright
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,737
Can people STF up about the repeal the 8th or not to repeal the 8th and just think about the poor family for a minute , Any of there family could be on here reading this


Its an awful tragic accident, and not time for people to sling mud at each other,
yourdeadwright is offline  
17-05-2019, 12:17   #50
meeeeh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaster Rogue View Post
People are making out here that a little collateral damage is grand. This is an innocent defenceless human being we're talking about. 1 mistake is too many.
It's not a human being though. It's a pity because parents obviously wanted a child and I think that kind of cock ups shouldn't happen and should be punished (if it was a cock up).

This should be a discussion about possible medical negligence and not about the 8th.
meeeeh is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 12:17   #51
circadian
Registered User
 
circadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by orourkeda1977 View Post
This is the case we've all been waiting for.
Classy.
circadian is offline  
17-05-2019, 12:17   #52
Dirkziggler
Banned
 
Dirkziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
Can people STF up about the repeal the 8th or not to repeal the 8th and just think about the poor family for a minute , Any of there family could be on here reading this


Its an awful tragic accident, and not time for people to sling mud at each other,

I said as much above this is a tragedy in itself and it’s being used to point score.

It’s scumbag behaviour
Dirkziggler is offline  
17-05-2019, 12:36   #53
padd b1975
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiveoctopus View Post
"It was thought the baby had Trisomy18, also known as Edwards Syndrome, but a series of genetic tests later found that was not the case."

Maybe they should confirm the child had the disease before acting on it.
Not much to ask for in fairness.
padd b1975 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-05-2019, 12:47   #54
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts
Registered User
 
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3,786
This is really saddening. In figuring out whether or not a foetus has an FFA, they need to be as sure as is possible. The doctors must have thought that because two tests were positive for the condition, the third probably would be too.

In my unfortunately very vast experience of doctors, they makes mistakes ALL the frickin’ time and many can be quite blasé and cocksure when they shouldn’t be. You cannot be blasé about something like this.
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts is offline  
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 12:50   #55
bruschi
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,012
My own fault for clicking into the thread.

But the lack of empathy to the parents who actively wanted a child and have lost it due to medical negligence, the "told you so" comments about how this was to be expected to happen. That the parents have no right to complain about this.

Its actually disgusting some of the comments on here. They show a real sense of being glad to see this happened so they can get on their moral high horse again, regardless of facts that the 8th would have made little or no difference here. Point scoring over a couple having an abortion on what was actually a healthy baby.

Meanwhile a couple are grieving over a lost pregnancy they clearly wanted.
bruschi is offline  
17-05-2019, 13:03   #56
LorelaiG
Registered User
 
LorelaiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 402
Considering that there is no time restriction for time on a termination for FFA they (whoever 'they' are... the doctors, the parents) they really jumped the gun by not waiting on diagnostic test results to come back rather than relying on screening tests.
LorelaiG is offline  
(3) thanks from:
17-05-2019, 13:12   #57
loveisdivine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaster Rogue View Post
People are making out here that a little collateral damage is grand. This is an innocent defenceless human being we're talking about. 1 mistake is too many.
By this logic the whole idea of medicine and surgeries etc should be made illegal. People have surgery every day, some of those people die. So does that mean we shouldn't ever operate on people because one death is too many?
loveisdivine is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-05-2019, 13:13   #58
take everything
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruschi View Post
My own fault for clicking into the thread.

But the lack of empathy to the parents who actively wanted a child and have lost it due to medical negligence, the "told you so" comments about how this was to be expected to happen. That the parents have no right to complain about this.

Its actually disgusting some of the comments on here. They show a real sense of being glad to see this happened so they can get on their moral high horse again, regardless of facts that the 8th would have made little or no difference here. Point scoring over a couple having an abortion on what was actually a healthy baby.

Meanwhile a couple are grieving over a lost pregnancy they clearly wanted.
Why do you say the eighth would have made no difference here.
take everything is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-05-2019, 13:14   #59
Edgware
Registered User
 
Edgware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisdivine View Post
By this logic the whole idea of medicine and surgeries etc should be made illegal. People have surgery every day, some of those people die. So does that mean we shouldn't ever operate on people because one death is too many?
Ya twas only a foetus after all
Edgware is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-05-2019, 13:15   #60
mvl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorelaiG View Post
Considering that there is no time restriction for time on a termination for FFA they (whoever 'they' are... the doctors, the parents) they really jumped the gun by not waiting on diagnostic test results to come back rather than relying on screening tests.
Was just thinking how difficult it can be to navigate through this process: medical staff involved on each of the procedures can range from GPs/consultants/nurses.
Really feel sorry for the parents, they may have been insufficiently guided ... but at the end of the day they should have known there are risks, this is more on them imo.
While I'd imagine in the hospital they have signed T&Cs before going ahead with the abortion, do wonder who on the medical side is responsible end to end for a pregnancy that does get terminated - any thoughts ?
mvl is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet