Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-05-2019, 11:29   #16
Jaster Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-D-P-- View Post
Not the same, A mother aborted her child that she (hopefully) wanted because of misinformation....
Totally different, so off you ride on your waffle train.
Doesn't change the fact the 8th would have prevented this healthy baby's killing. The truth hurts sometimes.
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 11:29   #17
nozzferrahhtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaster Rogue View Post
The 8th amendment would have given a legal right to life to this poor defenceless innocent human life, and prevented his or her killing. Sad but true. All the right on lefty liberal 'woke' brigade : are you proud now?
What do you mean "now"? I am proud of the work we did to repeal some harmful text in our constitution.

And I did so KNOWING a case like this would eventually happen. Why? Because ALL medical intervention comes with the risk that we will make a bad call, or make the right call on bad information. We know there is a potential for this. This is not somehow unique to abortion by any means. If we were to halt medical progress because of the potential for isolated cases of this sort, we would make no progress at all.

If people are using medical information to make medical decisions, then statistically we will inevitably ALWAYS find a case where the medical information was wrong.

All we can do is work to minimise such occurrences. And when they DO occur, make it clear we are learning from them.

And that too will make me proud, if we do it correctly.

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact the 8th would have prevented this healthy baby's killing. The truth hurts sometimes.
The truth only hurts if one is not willing to accept reality and be prepared for it. Even the best medical intentions will result in bad and upsetting results eventually. THAT is the truth we need to swallow, and nothing about this case is relevant to me as an argument against what I feel the referendum got 100% right.
(79) thanks from:
54&56, amor3, astradave, Augme, Auguste Comte, Bacchus, batgoat, bluewolf, Claireabella, Cyclepath, Dalomanakora, Dardania, December2012, eeepaulo, Effects, Electric Sheep, electro~bitch, FatherTed, fiestywonder, Fighting Tao, FoxyVixen, Goldengirl, GreeBo, Greentopia, G_R, happyoutscan, Hotblack Desiato, irishgirl19, Jade182, Jeffrey Lebowski, jiltloop, JupiterKid, Keisha07, KikiLaRue, Lemonposset, LilRedDorcha, LorelaiG, mikhail, Mollyb60, NashD, ncmc, Neyite, NH2013, nikkibikki, Pappa Dolla, Paz-CCFC, phasers, pinkyeye, PopePalpatine, punk_one82, Quandary, rain on, Sabrinam002, Simi, snoopsheep, snoopy84, SozBbz, stampydmonkey, steves2, SuperStarHoney, SusieBlue, sweetie, Tacitus Kilgore, Taiga, TaitsClock, TheyDidWhat?!, Three More Big Sleeps, Timistry, TommyKnocker, Tuesday_Girl, up for anything, vetinari, wench, westernfrenzy, wiz569, wolfmoon87, Yeah_Right, zapper55, _meehan_
17-05-2019, 11:29   #18
Snow Garden

Quote:
The 8th amendment would have given a legal right to life to this poor defenceless innocent human life, and prevented his or her killing. Sad but true. All the right on lefty liberal 'woke' brigade : are you proud now?
Yes. I am very proud to have repealed the 8th amendment for many reasons.

This is a very sad story, I hope hospitals put procedures in place so that it never happens again.
17-05-2019, 11:30   #19
KSU

Quote:
The same amendment has seen the death of mothers like Savita Halappanavar.

Tragic cases like this don't justify a position there are always gonna be singular cases for and against
(76) thanks from:
54&56, AnnaSophia, Arbie, Augme, AulWan, Bacchus, batgoat, blackbox, BuboBubo, Call me Al, Dalomanakora, Dardania, Darkglasses, electro~bitch, EmptyTree, Fighting Tao, Flex, For Forks Sake, Foweva Awone, FoxyVixen, gmisk, Goldengirl, GreeBo, Greentopia, happyoutscan, Hotblack Desiato, Jade182, Jeffrey Lebowski, jiltloop, Juanito13, JupiterKid, Lady Haywire, listermint, Lollipops23, LorelaiG, Loveinapril, Martina1991, michellie, miezekatze, Mrs OBumble, NashD, Neyite, nikkibikki, Paddy Cow, Pappa Dolla, Paz-CCFC, phasers, pinkyeye, PopePalpatine, punk_one82, rain on, rainbowtrout, rawn, Reati, RoryMac, Rulmeq, Silverfish, Simi, Snow Garden, SozBbz, steves2, SusieBlue, Taiga, The Diddakoi, TheyDidWhat?!, Timistry, Tina82, up for anything, Ursus Horribilis, vetinari, wench, westdublin, westernfrenzy, whatdoicare, xzanti, _meehan_
17-05-2019, 11:30   #20
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Like many others, this couple may well have just gone to England for a termination, adding further to their trauma through stigma and isolation.
(78) thanks from:
Abel Ruiz, amdublin, angel eyes 2012, AnnaSophia, Arbie, astradave, Augme, AulWan, Bacchus, bubblypop, BuboBubo, Canard, Claireabella, coolisin, Cornelius Crow, CrabRevolution, Dalomanakora, Digs, electro~bitch, EmptyTree, Flex, Foweva Awone, FoxyVixen, gmisk, Greentopia, happyoutscan, headtheball14, Hotblack Desiato, Idle Passerby, Jade182, jiltloop, Jimmy Bottlehead, Joeytheparrot, joe_99, JupiterKid, Keisha07, Lia_lia, listermint, LorelaiG, Loveinapril, LuckyLloyd, Martina1991, meeeeh, michellie, Mickeroo, Neyite, nikkibikki, Pappa Dolla, Paz-CCFC, phasers, pinkyeye, PopePalpatine, rainbowtrout, RoryMac, rosebush, Rulmeq, Sabrinam002, secondrowgal, Silverfish, Simi, SozBbz, SusieBlue, Tacitus Kilgore, Taiga, TaitsClock, Tea-a-Maria, thalia_13, TheyDidWhat?!, Timistry, Tina82, up for anything, Ursus Horribilis, westdublin, westernfrenzy, xzanti, Yeah_Right, Zubeneschamali, _meehan_
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 11:30   #21
Ricosruffneck

I support abortion.

But i'm curious, in this instance if the 8th hadn't been changed would the baby have been aborted (in Ireland)?

What are the facts? without getting emotive over what has happened here please.
(2) thanks from:
17-05-2019, 11:31   #22
Timberrrrrrrr

Quote:
Actually it wouldnt have.

Presuming the mother got the same results and decided (as she did this time) to have an abortion she would have had to go through the trauma of travelling to have said abortion.

The 8th would not have stopped this from happening so climb back down off your high horse.
(96) thanks from:
Abel Ruiz, Aceandstuff, alexw, amdublin, amor3, AnnaSophia, argolis, astradave, astrofool, AulWan, Ave Sodalis, Bacchus, batgoat, blackbox, Blazer, bluewolf, bubblypop, BuboBubo, Call me Al, Claireabella, CrabRevolution, Cyclepath, Dalomanakora, Dardania, Darkglasses, December2012, dee_mc, Dubl07, electro~bitch, Flex, Flying Fox, For Forks Sake, Foweva Awone, gmisk, GreeBo, Greentopia, happyoutscan, Hotblack Desiato, IAMAMORON, Idle Passerby, Jackie Brown, jiltloop, Jimmy Bottlehead, joe_99, jt69er, JupiterKid, Keisha07, Knex., lashes34, Lia_lia, listermint, Lollipops23, LorelaiG, mark_jmc, Martina1991, michellie, NashD, Neyite, nikkibikki, Paz-CCFC, pinkyeye, rainbowtrout, rawn, Rfrip, RoryMac, Rulmeq, Sabrinam002, Semtax, Senature, Silverfish, Simi, SirChenjin, snoopsheep, snoopy84, strandroad, SusieBlue, Taiga, TaitsClock, thalia_13, TheyDidWhat?!, Timistry, Tina82, Tuesday_Girl, up for anything, Ursus Horribilis, Username here, vetinari, Vowel Movement, westdublin, westernfrenzy, whatdoicare, whiskeyman, wolfmoon87, xzanti, Yeah_Right, _meehan_
17-05-2019, 11:31   #23
kneemos

Quote:

It was obviously the child's destiny.
17-05-2019, 11:32   #24
Snow Garden

Quote:
There are no winners in complex situations like this. I am not sure about your empathy to be honest.
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 11:32   #25
nullzero

There's a serious malpractice case in the offing here.
I know somebody who had to get tested for this very issue, as far as I know the tests are done in America and take time to come back, but not so much that it's a massive wait.
In the end their baby was healthy, it must be a real gut punch for that couple to find out the abortion wasn't necessary.
Whoever is responsible should be struck off.
17-05-2019, 11:34   #26
RobertKK

It is a very sad case, but the couple can't complain, only they made that choice.
The parents and the unborn had no choice to undo the past when the wrong diagnosis was discovered. But ultimately this was the choice of the parents.

Last edited by RobertKK; 17-05-2019 at 11:44.
17-05-2019, 11:34   #27
KSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberrrrrrrr View Post
Actually it wouldnt have.

Presuming the mother got the same results and decided (as she did this time) to have an abortion she would have had to go through the trauma of travelling to have said abortion.

The 8th would not have stopped this from happening so climb back down off your high horse.
That may not be true as results may or may not have come back in the meantime (unclear of timeline)

However I do agree with the sentiment of the post.
Thanks from:
17-05-2019, 11:36   #28
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullzero View Post
There's a serious malpractice case in the offing here.
I know somebody who had to get tested for this very issue, as far as I know the tests are done in America and take time to come back, but not so much that it's a massive wait.
In the end their baby was healthy, it must be a real gut punch for that couple to find out the abortion wasn't necessary.
Whoever is responsible should be struck off.
I don't know if they should be struck off, but on the face of it, the words 'gross negligence' leap off the screen, reading that article.

The idea that anyone thinks this is a basis for reinstating the 8th amendment is preposterous. The story here is a pretty shocking mis-diagnosis.

I don't believe you can sue for wrongful birth (eg baby born after vasectomy), but I assume you can, in theory, sue for wrongful abortion?
(3) thanks from:
17-05-2019, 11:37   #29
nozzferrahhtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKK View Post
It is a very sad case, but the couple can't complain, only they made that choice.
That depends, as another user wrote on another thread, on how well the meaning of the results of the test was explained to the couple in question. As the user wrote, the tests that likely were done were screening tests, not diagnostic.

If that was not explained adequately to the couple in question THAT is a problem. And not at all the couples fault.

I will wait for the details before I take part in trial by social media on that one.
17-05-2019, 11:38   #30
54&56

Quote:
What an idiotic (I'm being kind) post.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion