Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    My tree is private on Ancestry but I have shared it with a few people, and they've put up the same info.

I also don't understand why people are so keen to add in unrelated families. Like they put in someone who married in, and then they add that person's entire family tree. Those people aren't in your family! One of them is related by marriage, that's all. I might research someone's parents if I'm looking for potential kids' names but that's it usually.

Occasionally, if there are less common name combos, I've found it increases the potential of finding a match with some info.

I've also found that as further resources become available and I improve my information digging techniques; I usually have the only accurate source for any info anyway. Haven't got a single useful lead on Ancestry in years but have had to convince a few people to fix terrible inaccuracies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've also wrung Ancestry dry and there's nothing new coming out of it for me. Not sure what to do now, either try FMP again next year or give it a rest. I'd love to find some live descendants of a particular line as I'd like to have clarity on where my granny went!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, an hour ago I would have agreed but it suggested a hint for a marriage of my ggg grandparents in Quebec tonight. I knew the groom's parents names already so it's definitely right! I've no idea why 2 people from Limerick married in Quebec but I'm bloody chuffed. The bride's parents names were new to me and hello new gggg grandparents! I've added about 15 people to my tree in the last hour. Should be in bed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Ancestry & FMP keep adding new databases, so it's worth going back to the well.

FMP recently uploaded Betham's genealogical abstracts which gave me leads on one particular branch of the family - he summarises genealogical information from selected wills from which I was able to identify a sister of my 4xgreat grandfather, and her husband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Well, an hour ago I would have agreed but it suggested a hint for a marriage of my ggg grandparents in Quebec tonight. I knew the groom's parents names already so it's definitely right! I've no idea why 2 people from Limerick married in Quebec but I'm bloody chuffed. The bride's parents names were new to me and hello new gggg grandparents! I've added about 15 people to my tree in the last hour. Should be in bed.

Nice find!
    I wonder were thet Famine immigrants who made a return journey? Quebec was an important port in that era.

• Advertisement

KildareFan wrote: »
    .... he summarises genealogical information from selected wills from which I was able to identify a sister of my 4xgreat grandfather, and her husband.

Yoy probably know this lready, but it is worthwhile having a peek at Nick Reddan's Deeds project site - I was able to crossreference a Betham with Reg. of Deeds entries to clarify/confirm some relationships.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

FMP recently uploaded Betham's genealogical abstracts...

I was going to ask had anyone had any luck with the new Betham, Crossle or Thrift uploads to FMP? I've found one or two entries which will help me with my Moore research. However, these images appear to be just 'the notes' as Fr. Ted once said, and I'm wondering is there more to it than what's been presented by FMP?

Reading John Grenham's recent article on the Betham uploads the answer would appear to be yes. And in the case of deeds, there's lots of further research that can be done. But does anyone know of other surviving work that was done as a follow on from all of the above?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Nice find!
    I wonder were thet Famine immigrants who made a return journey? Quebec was an important port in that era.

Yes, it's certainly a possibility but the marriage was 1846, so maybe a bit early. The husband was born in Limerick and was a river pilot. The wife's father was from Bruff but she was born in Dublin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just to say I'm without my regular computer for a couple of weeks so my replies may be less fulsome than usual.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Hi all, am finding family history interesting and often stunning! .............I mean at some points, I just gotta wonder 'what were my ancestors thinking!'

Anyone else find strange twists in your family's back histories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    Hi all, am finding family history interesting and often stunning! .............I mean at some points, I just gotta wonder 'what were my ancestors thinking!'

Anyone else find strange twists in your family's back histories?

Every family researcher finds amazing / strange / bizarre discoveries.

Anyone who hasn't, did not try very hard.

Over on the History Forum I mentioned that I would post a ‘find’ on the ‘chat’ thread as I thought it a more suitable place.
    Some years ago my genealogy work developed another side - a sort of ‘one name study’, a collection of oddments / people of my infrequent surname, recorded because ‘stray’ mentions often provided clues to help identify ‘orphan’ families and when satisfied an ability to link them to different branches. The links to the old NY newspaper archives posted by Hermy and Kildarefan a few weeks ago prompted me to revisit those sites during the ‘snow days’. I discovered a person (described as a bachelor) with my surname living in 1860’s New York who was the victim of a murder / manslaughter by his brother-in-law. More searches showed the surname was spelled very differently in several newspaper reports, many of which gave good detail on the crime.

I started to work through census and marriage records to correctly identify the surname and obtain support info. The child birth records matched ‘my’ spelling, as did the parent’s marriage. The names and address entries in the 1860 Federal census matched the crime details. This brought up an interesting find – the marriage certificate of the murderer showed his wife to be a daughter of a missing distant relative. It is an exaggeration to describe him as a minor landlord in Ireland, he was a ‘middling’ farmer with a hundred or so heavily encumbered acres, who had a few tenants on variously sized lots. He had married ‘well’ but the agrarian unrest in the 1820 - 30’s caused him hardship as rents went unpaid and he could not obtain vacant possession of his land or put paying tenants on it. He was a reasonably innocuous individual, trying to survive, the odds stacked against him. He had death warnings, hay stacks and buildings burned, employees attacked and a son-in-law beaten to near death, etc. The Famine finally ruined him financially. I sometimes wondered what had happened to him and his issue after his eventual bankruptcy.

Now I know what happened – he emigrated with his wife and children to NYC, worked as a clerk and died there aged 57 in 1863. His NY Herald death notice even named the village of his birth in Ireland.

The murdered son was unmarried, the crime was deemed to be manslaughter, the brother-in-law was released by the State Governor after serving 10 years and went back to his wife.

FWIW curiosity provoked me to contact two tree owners on Ancestry whose online trees contained the victim’s sister and her ex-con husband. Both trees had what I considered to be an incorrect name for the paternal grandmother and incorrect places/dates of death. Only one replied, “Can't help you much on this one…... Ancestry is telling me that she is: the wife of 1st cousin 1x removed of wife of 2nd cousin 4x removed and the 'Ancestry Hint' says she died in New York City and the husband died in Australia."

Factually, she died in NYC as did her husband. So much for the accuracy of online trees, but it shows the usefulness of newspaper archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepintheback

Hey guys!
    So i am just curious of what age group the majority of people interested in geneology are?

I ask this because while in contact with someone from a geneology reasearch centre through email, the man was taken by surprise when he learned i was only an 18 year old boy!!!

Also, all people, distant familiy members or otherwise (who also had interest in geneology) which i was in contact with troughout the years were either retired people in there 60s or people in there 30s/40s.

Are people here surprised to read that i am only 18 qnd have a big online family tree...and that my main hobby is reasearch..i dont know of anyone else around my age group who does the same !
    I got my interest when i was only 11...my uncle died and it came up in conversation how many 1st cousins i had on my dad's side, so we went about counting them ALL and when i realised we had 56 first cousins on my dad's side (and i always knew my total of 4 first cousins on my mam's side!) I just had to put it into a tree format...and from there it grew!

I'm in my thirties but started at a similar age to you. Anecdotally, many people become interested in genealogy after the death of a parent, so usually in their 50s/60s. I do know a couple of people who got the bug in their teens. The 3 year course I did in UCD (now defunct) had 2 people in their 20s (me and one other), one thirtysomething, some 40s and the majority above 50.

There's a great benefit to starting young: more older people are still around and have their marbles so they can tell you what they know, and are available for followup questions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks! Is nice to know there are actually others who start in there teens...even if it is very few! It is a great advantage, i agree, I would not be where i am in my tree if it wasnt for my eldest Aunt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I’d say I must have been about 20/21, I think around the time the 1911 census came online. Took a few years to get going though. Definitely helped to be starting as things were becoming digitised. I’m not sure how well I would have stuck to it if I’d had to spend all of my weekends in libraries and archives!

Hey guys!
    So i am just curious of what age group the majority of people interested in geneology are?

I ask this because while in contact with someone from a geneology reasearch centre through email, the man was taken by surprise when he learned i was only an 18 year old boy!!!............

I started when I was 16, long before we had computers and the internet to make life easier for research. Wrote down as much as I possibly could from chats with my mother which has proved to be invaluable. Am in my 60's now and still refer back to my notes from 50 years ago! Pinky's advice is key.....talk to your relatives now. If they are agreeable its a good idea to video record them. Always get permission first though. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I think that I properly started when I was 12. Before that, I'd ask questions and write downs things but I'd just lose it and forget it. When I was 12, I properly started recording information, building a tree and finding new ancestors that my parents didn't know about. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without the internet though. I always dreaded being asked by relatives what age I was because I didn't want them to know that they were talking to pretty much a child. It made me feel a bit embarrassed for some reason. In my head, it was a case of why are you wasting your time learning about dead people that won't affect you rather than spending the time to live your own life. Well actually my dad said something similar to that effect before. He has absolutely no interest in it. Even now at 20, I tend to avoid giving my age unless asked. Most do seem surprised when I give my age and even when I was in contact with a man in his 30s, he had never been in contact with anyone younger than him before when researching genealogy.

srmf5 wrote: »
    I always dreaded being asked by relatives what age I was because I didn't want them to know that they were talking to pretty much a child. It made me feel a bit embarrassed for some reason........................................
    I tend to avoid giving my age unless asked.

I feel the EXACT same way! I could not have worded it better!!

It does have its drawbacks also, as I am only 18, I can't afford a continued membership on anything!

It does have its drawbacks also, as I am only 18, I can't afford a continued membership on anything!

For some of us, that doesn't change in our 60's either! Best thing to do, get a summer job, and just buy a subscription for Ancestry or FindmyPast for a month. Otherwise, like me, you have to rely on the free sites.

• Advertisement

Feeling really disappointed at the guidelines issue by the RCBI for copying/transcribing Church of Ireland parish records and headstone inscriptions - in particular the restrictions on posting photos and headstone transcriptions. A tragedy for family history if these are more widely adopted.
    https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2018/04/rcbl-publishes-new-guidelines-for.html

I'm not personally upset by these regulations. The CoI has a duty of care to consider. I can understand the reasons behind it particularly with more recent records. I wouldn't like my parents' gravestone to be published online although I don't mind family members emailing photos within the family. They've never allowed photography or a copying service in RCB anyway. I know others will think differently.

I spent years not maintaining my subs and I still don't keep the newspaper one all the time. You'll find there's plenty of friendly people here willing to do a look-up for you. ;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Feeling really disappointed at the guidelines issue by the RCBI for copying/transcribing Church of Ireland parish records and headstone inscriptions - in particular the restrictions on posting photos and headstone transcriptions. A tragedy for family history if these are more widely adopted.
    https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2018/04/rcbl-publishes-new-guidelines-for.html

Agreed. While I accept and support any attempt to preserve records, in this instance clearly the RCB's thinking is back in the day of the dippy pen and the wording of the linked notice is tendentious waffle. Have they no idea of what has been happening to copyright - music, books, images, etc - since the Net? Are they going to initiate proceedings against Billiongraves, or others to enforce their position? Is every graveyard going to post a notice about trespass and asserting copyright ownership of gravestone images? What if I publish a photo of a RC ancestor's gravestone taken in a graveyard attached to a CoI church? Who owns the copyright to that image? The CoI? - methinks not!

I can understand that the RCBI would claim ownership of their own church records but I wouldn't have thought those same records were subject to copyright.

Genealogy Forum Mod

How do they think they even own the headstone inscriptions seeing as they wouldn't have written them, or paid for the headstones?

I am mystified about the RCB policy on photographing headstones - I would regard the information on headstones as public information, the same as death notices in the newspapers, or notices on RIP.ie. I am a contributor to Findagrave.com and have found so much genealogical information from headstone transcriptions and photographs.

I worry about the chilling impact of recent developments in data protection on genealogical research.....

I know Susan Hood, who issued those guidelines, and she's a very sensible person. There must be some legal reason they're doing it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

They are only guidelines so I do wonder is there actually anything legal in it or are they just trying to protect their own patch so to speak?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They mention a cut off of forty years for the headstones, perhaps it's following a similar complaint to that regarding the electoral rolls?

It is great when people start their genealogy research when still surrounded by uncles aunts etc.

In reality though, most people only get the time after they retire.

I only started after my parents died. An uncle wrote saying that an Americanlady wished to meet as many as possible descendants of R&BF, of whom I had never heard, and was thus introduced to one strand of my ancestry.

But it was only after retirement that I looked at paternal line ancestors in the censuses, and for better or worse, am addicted since. My eyesight went downhill after many hundred hours of looking at parish registers in the NLI, but that might have happened anyway.

Just been reading the latest from Irish Genealogy News and wondered if it might be connected in some way to the above guidelines recently issued by the RCBI. Are the RCBI setting out their stall before the government set out theirs?
    For Irish family historians, perhaps the most intriguing mention is a €10m allocation within the cultural and creativity package for 'digitisation of national collections'. The plan states 'Some projects which should be available online in the short-term include ... Church Records, which consist of parish registers for baptism, marriage and burial'.

With images and indexes of the National Library's collection of Roman Catholic registers already online, dare we assume the records alluded to will be Church of Ireland registers?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, their collection is technically the same up to 1870, since the COI was the established church of Ireland, all their records are public records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

response on placename in the 'deciphering' thread:
    Portach in Irish means a bog - so sometimes the port in a place name refers to a bog.

Agreed on portach/portaigh but it is not relevant to Port Ryan or most if not all other Portxxxx placenames. There are two meanings of ‘port’ – a landing-place / bank / harbour / haven / port; or a fortress/military station / chieftain’s residence. The landing place meaning is referenced in the Leabhair na h’Uidhre. Later, in the Four Masters in a reference the death of King Malachy (in 1022 A.D.), Port used synonymously with ‘dún’.

Joyce (PW) maintains that the ‘port-‘ names on a river/lake are landing places, elsewhere they are residences. He also says ‘Port-‘ forms the beginning of about 140 townlands, parishes and villages in Ireland. A few in the CastleConnell area – Portcrusha (landing place of the cross) where a bridge was erected by an O’Brien in 1506 (per Four Masters), Parteen (little landing place). Portland the townland above Lough Derg is from port an tullchán, the bank/landing-place of the little hill.

An Act of Henry VIII, reinforced by Charles II in 1665 required place names to be in English, not Irish, as they “are very troublesome in the use thereof, and much retards the Reformation of that Kingdom,”

I'm wondering if Port could refer to a door or gateway if there were any Normans around [Porte - french for door or gate]. Camden Street Dublin used to be called Kevin's port....

• Advertisement

It will be a problem for this group I'd say:
    http://historicgraves.com/donate

Practically speaking though, I'm not sure how the RCBL will police this. Are they going to take legal action against every website that puts up grave records?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Practically speaking though, I'm not sure how the RCBL will police this. Are they going to take legal action against every website that puts up grave records?
    I’ve had another look at this since my post #175.. The document issued by the RCB is headed ‘GUIDELINES’ (in capitals) some of which are sensible, standard best practice, others just plain silly,
    In my opinion it’s derrière covering, a box-ticking exercise probably provoked by the upcoming change in the data protection laws (due May 25). Any breach of data protection – if successfully prosecuted - could render the RCB, NAI, GRO or PRONI subject to penalties. However, it is hard to see for dead people what data / copyright could be breached and how any prosecution could be successful.

In the Republic, copyright for C of I registers of
    • baptisms and burials before 1871, and
    • marriages before 1845
    is subject to the National Archives (Ireland) Act, 1986.
    However,
    • registers of baptisms and burials after 1871 and
    • post-1845 registers of Church of Ireland marriages
    are subject to the Civil Registration Act, 2004 . Copyright is held by The Representative Church Body and subject to internal regulations

The Church’s Constitution and Irish law requires that members of the public may access data. (C of I rules state access must be supervised and no photography is allowed.)

Members of the public may transcribe entries by hand but are not permitted to publish that information without permission from the copyright holder. Does the RCB really think this will be requested?

Guidelines state details for marriages, baptisms or burials newer than 100 years should not be posted on the internet or published in any other formats.

[Comment – nothing about policing all this is mentioned. Also, how can it be proved that a date of death record was obtained the C of I and not from the GRO or the NAI’s probate file? Not being allowed photograph a record in a register is a nuisance, worse for a page of a vestry meeting, but access remains available, so this is no big deal.]

Memorials/headstones/burial grounds
    The Guidelines on this area are silly, I cannot see any justification for them.

The Guidelines speak about ‘worthy projects at local level’ and say the recording work by local groups is to be commended and encouraged adding there is a need to be mindful about copyright restrictions. This is putting their own clergy /vestrymen in a very difficult position.

They go on to state the memorial and its information belong to the descendants, adding that clergy and select vestries need to proceed with caution because they are responsible for the management of burial grounds. Any proposal to publish details relating to graves should be scrutinized and it’s strongly recommended that neither images nor details of inscriptions on memorials erected within the past forty years should be uploaded to the internet or published in any other formats.

Comment - Legally, publication is defined as making information known in a general sense. Placing information on a notice (gravestone) in a location open to the public is publication. Where could there be a cause for a legal action under data privacy laws? Even if the information is incorrect or even defamatory, the dead cannot be libelled or defamed. Why should the C of I be interested in this when it does not own the copyright? My (non-legal) view the RCB is digging a hole for itself by getting involved in the process.

I cannot see the guidelines discouraging most from uploading information. However, they will adversely affect that very worthy bunch, the local parish history group, who out of respect for their local ‘authority’ will be deterred from publishing graveyard lists/inscriptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Churches are permitted under Article 91 of GDPR to make rules regarding the processing of data. I think by publishing their rules, the RCB are probably covering themselves if there happens to be an issue, especially as some of their records are held by other bodies and it seems to be permissible to look at records of living individuals in their registers (?). I’m not sure they have to actively police it but they will have to respond if someone complains or takes a case, and they have set out their rules by issuing this document.

I only skimmed through but the restriction with memorials seems to be with copyright rather than data protection. It would be interesting to hear a legal opinion on whether the text on a memorial is original or long enough to attract copyright protection but perhaps the RCB has that advice. It might also be that if some memorials are of unique design (and most are not) that the memorial itself might have copyright protection. It is possible that the rules to do with memorials may have to do with distress of relatives at seeing photos of memorials of recently-deceased loved ones online. That is understandable.

The biggest debate about copyright on headstones is how the church can claim any ownership to it at all, seeing as they neither paid for nor wrote it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

L1011 wrote: »
    The biggest debate about copyright on headstones is how the church can claim any ownership to it at all, seeing as they neither paid for nor wrote it.

I don't think they are actually claiming ownership of copyright. It's more that these memorials are in their graveyards, they are the custodians of the graveyards and parish committees may be asked for permission. Practically speaking if copyright clearance is required it would be next to impossible to get it unless you knew who owns every memorial.

In an organisation like a church where you have dispersed authority among parishes and where local pressures may be brought to bear, it's not easy but perhaps experience has meant the RCB felt it has to issue guidelines of some type.

L1011 wrote: »
    I agree.
    This is not the place to get into a debate on copyright but the basics are clear. It is sad that the RCB have taken their present stance, unlike that of both the GRO and the RC Church who have made their records available FOC, albeit with DP protection limits.

The purpose of copyright is to provide a balance between protecting creative works and allowing the public access to them. For copyright to apply, a work must be creative/original – i.e. its creator must use skill, labour, judgement and effort to create it. I’d accept that the RCB’s BMD registers (a substantial body of work/records) meet those criteria, reinforced by its economic rights and thus merit copyright protection. However, I also would argue that publication of a few disparate entries on a family website or parish publication do not constitute a meaningful breach of that copyright.

A tombstone inscription does not meet copyright criteria. You cannot for e.g. copyright a name. In any event, copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author plus seventy years, after which period it is in the public domain and no permissions are necessary to use it. Tombstones pre-1948 thus could not be copyright protected.

Should the RCB take issue with me for publication I would point them in the direction of the CLDS and free / fee-paying websites that provide both images and inscriptions and claim that the information is already in the public domain. They might, of course, prevent me from future access to their registers on the basis that I did not respect their rules. That certainly would be of concern to professional genealogists.

both the GRO and the RC Church who have made their records available FOC, albeit with DP protection limits.

A tombstone inscription does not meet copyright criteria. You cannot for e.g. copyright a name.

The RC Church does not actually make their records available FOC. It was the NLI which made them available, first on microfilm to NLI visitors, more recently online.
    Personally I think the manner in which the NLI put the RC records online without consulting the church, was a mistake, as it destroyed goodwill, a valuable commodity when we seek access to further records, perhaps towards 1920, rapidly approaching the centenary.

Any time I visit a church office / sacristy, I am treated with courtesy and friendly assistance, but the notion of getting a digital image is not entertained.
    Some years ago, a browse of the register or transcript was more readily obtained, but less so since the NLI put the registers online, mostly up to 1880.

As for publishing images of gravestone inscriptions, it is probably no different from doing the same of a house frontage form a public street. It can be discourteous to a host, but hardly a crime.

I have little doubt but the RCB finds it necessary to make these rules / guidelines, to cover its own potential liabilities, following legal advice and pending clarification of how data protection issues will be treated by the courts in the future.

What I could never understand, was the complete ban on photography in the RCBL reading room, while many historic CoI parish register images are already online at irishgenealogy.ie / church records.

tabbey wrote: »
    Any time I visit a church office / sacristy, I am treated with courtesy and friendly assistance, but the notion of getting a digital image is not entertained.

There's definitely not consistency here. I had a helpful priest offer to snap pictures and email them to me over the phone quite recently. Marriage in the 1930s but both parties were dead.

Genealogy Forum Mod

There's definitely not consistency here. I had a helpful priest offer to snap pictures and email them to me over the phone quite recently. Marriage in the 1930s but both parties were dead.

This is probably a case of the priest having the confidence to make such a decision, while the parish secretary / sacristan feels obliged to obey the rules.

On another topic - the Windrush landing cards were destroyed by the British government... using data protection arguments - and now many emigrants from the Carribbean who arrived in Britain in the 1960s are threatened with deportation because the very records which could prove their right to remain have been destroyed.

Imagine if Ellis island had tossed the passenger lists in the bin? At least the consequences for family roots researchers would just be a brick wall, but for the Windrush generation, the destruction of records means they are being threatened with deportation to places they left 60 years ago.

I feel that genealogical research on our current generation is going to be impossible if this trend towards destroying records continues.

Funnily enough, I was just reading a letter I wrote to the Irish Times about the DPC taking down the old electoral registers yesterday. :mad:

I made the point that the 20th century would yield the most comprehensive and easily readable (typed and alphabetised) records that we've ever had. These records will still be valid and public but I expect the release of many will be thwarted because of this.

Genealogy Forum Mod

tabbey wrote: »
    Personally I think the manner in which the NLI put the RC records online without consulting the church, was a mistake, as it destroyed goodwill, a valuable commodity when we seek access to further records, perhaps towards 1920, rapidly approaching the centenary.

Given the nature and scale of the abuses committed by the Catholic Church against the people of Ireland, and the lengths they have gone to to conceal and cover up those abuses, thus leading to further abuse and suffering, it's them who destroyed the goodwill. That being the case you'd think that they'd be doing everything in their power to repair the damage and the NLI uploading their collection of parish registers should be the least of the Churches worries.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hi

Looking for some advice please.

I have been long trying to find proof who my great grandfather was.

Anyway i was 80% sure of the man i found and his family that we were related.

Got DNA tested and there was the proof. Anyway I found a Grandson of said man, found out where he lived and posted a letter and waited.

I got an email two days later and he said he was very interested in his family history (I didn’t go into much detail) and would love to meet and chat, but his wife was ill and he wouldn’t leave her but said he would be in touch.

That was in november last year, how would you go about it, would you email again or wait for further contact.

Thanks

I think you've waited long enough.

I'd send a followup correspondence asking after him and his wife and inviting him to pick up where you left off.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement