Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looking at other records, that priest seems to be fond of putting illegitimate (in various spellings). It looks like it here.

Port Ryan is a place in that area. See a photo (4th down) on this page

Not sure what Smith means.

**edit. Just noticed that page is run by a Wixted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

spurious wrote: »
    Looking at other records, that priest seems to be fond of putting illegitimate (in various spellings). It looks like it here.

Port Ryan is a place in that area. See a photo (4th down) on this page

Not sure what Smith means.

**edit. Just noticed that page is run by a Wixted.

Thanks for that - unusual name as the town is nowhere near the sea or major river. Maybe "Smith" is the job title, I've seen a few baptismal certs from the area with job titles in them (which is very useful).

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

oceanclub wrote: »
    Maybe "Smith" is the job title, I've seen a few baptismal certs from the area with job titles in them (which is very useful).

P.

Most likely occupation.

RC records rarely gave occupations, most regrettable in myview.

One parish where a priest did record occupation for a brief period, had 99% either farmer or labourer, with an occasional tailor or brogue maker thrown in.
    Sometimes it could confuse the reader, especially when he used Taylor as tailor. Smith is a similar case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

tabbey wrote: »
    Most likely occupation.

RC records rarely gave occupations, most regrettable in myview.

One parish where a priest did record occupation for a brief period, had 99% either farmer or labourer, with an occasional tailor or brogue maker thrown in.

Yeah, I'm doing the Wixted family and note that Newport Tipp includes both local placenames and job titles while Murroe doesn't; the former is very very useful.

P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Little bit on this page about Wixted blacksmiths.

Got to love some of the older webpages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

oceanclub wrote: »
    Thanks for that - unusual name as the town is nowhere near the sea or major river. .
    'Port' in Irish can be best translated as 'landing place' - it does not always signify a port - in the modern English sense - on an estuary/big river.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Portach in Irish means a bog - so sometimes the port in a place name refers to a bog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

edit - comment on 'port' name placed in 'Chat' thread

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cnoc

There is a town land in Co Limerick named Portbeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Would anyone be able to suggest what the remark in brackets after Johannah Leary is, please?

16iz9y9.jpg

• Advertisement

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to suggest what the remark in brackets after Johannah Leary is, please?

I don't know the exact Latin, but I think it indicates they were 4th cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

KildareFan wrote: »
    Yes - we need to see the full page to see other examples of the writer's handwriting.
    As mentioned previously I don't have any other examples, unfortunately

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

We can't help if we can't see the whole page... Where does this signature come from?

Genealogy Forum Mod

spurious wrote: »
    I don't know the exact Latin, but I think it indicates they were 4th cousins.

I think you're right. Looks like 'insanguino at 4th', although I think the phrase is usually consanguineo. Quite a distant relationship for the priest to be noting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I think you're right. Looks like 'insanguino at 4th', although I think the phrase is usually consanguineo. Quite a distant relationship for the priest to be noting though.

I think the last bit might be 4th degree, of consanguinity maybe, which might be first cousins but that another degree might also be listed before it. Is the whole page available? I think it's 'et' rather than 'at'. 'Et' means 'and' in Latin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

jesuisros wrote: »
    As mentioned previously I don't have any other examples, unfortunately

But you have that example. Can you post the full document or at least give a description of what the document is? Without some context handwriting that is hard to read becomes next to impossible to decipher.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Vetch wrote: »
    I think the last bit might be 4th degree, of consanguinity maybe, which might be first cousins but that another degree might also be listed before it. Is the whole page available? I think it's 'et' rather than 'at'. 'Et' means 'and' in Latin.

Thank you. Here's the whole page. The marriage is towards the end, 13 Feb

2w6fj0w.jpg

Thank you. Here's the whole page. The marriage is towards the end, 13 Feb

2w6fj0w.jpg

Is there a link that can be zoomed in on? Can't see this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

link to the marriage on the NLI site (1855 Bantry)

shanew wrote: »
    link to the marriage on the NLI site (1855 Bantry)

In 3tio et 4to

Ok I can see that now thanks but, call me stupid :), what does that mean? Why two numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

16iz9y9.jpg

3rd and 4th degree of consanguity = 2nd cousins once removed.

(They are three and four generations from the common ancestors)

Ok I can see that now thanks but, call me stupid :), what does that mean? Why two numbers?

There's some info on it here http://www.islandregister.com/consanguinity.html

Vetch wrote: »

Thank you Vetch that's extremely helpful. I understand now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Can anyone tell me the forename of the father of the groom in this marriage record? I can't figure what it's supposed to be.

448349.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sammy?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Sammy?
    Could be, although the second 'm' looks a bit different. I'd take a stab at Jamesy, although the J doesn't really look like the one in John.... also the same name as the son and there are 14 Jamesys in the '01 census.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 murfi59

Had a look at census 1901 and in Garvagh there is a James and Alice Beirne with an eldest son Francis so i would suggest Farnay as a short version of Francey/ Francis possibly.

Advertisement