Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 the_antagonist

kraggy wrote: »
    This country is waaaaaaay more Christian than I thought. According to statistics on the net, there are more Buddhists and only 25% are Christian. That's bull. The vast majority of this country are devout Christian from what I can see.

Statistics on wikipedia say about 30% Christian (Catholics & Others), 20% Buddhist and the rest as no religion and from my experience that's about right.

You just don't notice the Buddhists or non-religious because usually they don't make a fuss about it. And don't forget that if an employer is Christian the employees might pretend to be too. In fact it's required by many companies from what I've heard. Some Christian companies won't hire non-Christians.

A word of advice, be very careful with anyone claiming to be Christian and wanting you to come to their Church. There are a lot of very strange Christian cults in Korea. If you are Christian and want to get involved with a Church check them out beforehand on the internet or better yet stick with the mainstream ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

kraggy wrote: »
    @Squeaky

I saw your pic in Ladies Lounge at Boys Noize. How did you hear about that gig? My girlfriend and I would have gone had we known about it. Aaargh!

I found out about it from a friend in Korea from another forum. It was pretty epic alright.

The girl who got the tickets had ones to spare too and was selling them for less than cost price! :(

Lost my freaking ARC at walkerhill though. Have to go to Suwon on Friday morning to apply for a new one! :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

roosh wrote: »
    Apologies, I should have specified that it's 21 Calendar Days in Winter and 14 Calendar days in Summer.

With EPIK? Are you sure about this? Because if you are getting 15 working days off in winter and 10 in Summer you're getting a better contract than everyone else with EPIK. Unless you're counting Chinese New Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Brimmy wrote: »
    With EPIK? Are you sure about this? Because if you are getting 15 working days off in winter and 10 in Summer you're getting a better contract than everyone else with EPIK. Unless you're counting Chinese New Year?

Gangwon-do province has more holidays than other provinces. This is to entice people there as it's a bit rural and a bit cold :-)

They actually advertise ad 35 days holidays but then in very small print they say that includes the sat and sun so it's 25 working day holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

I'll probably be flying home for a few weeks from January 14th - 28th. Is expedia/ebookers my best bet for flight tickets, or has someone found a cheap website?

Had planned to be at home for Christmas but I'm starting my Winter camp on December 26th :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

I'll probably be flying home for a few weeks from January 14th - 28th. Is expedia/ebookers my best bet for flight tickets, or has someone found a cheap website?

Had planned to be at home for Christmas but I'm starting my Winter camp on December 26th :mad:

www.skyscanner.net is good for finding the cheapest flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Everyone I know here in Korea uses kayak.com.

They swear by it. I've heard of crazy cheap fares being got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

hey guys. I'm still getting to grips with the whole lesson planning process. I was thrown in at the deep end when I started last week and was able to get by bcos I just used the initial classes to introduce myself. I've managed fine all week to plan my lessons - largely thanks to waygook. With trying to get settled in an everything I've only been able to plan lessons the night before.

I've got 5 classes tomorrow though; grades 3, 4 (X2), 5 and 6 - on my own; and am facing into a long evening of lesson planning, so I'm looking for ways to reduce my workload. Does anyone have any suggestions for a "one size fits all" lesson I could adapt for the 4 different grades?

I was hoping to do a lesson relevant to what we've covered with the co-teacher, but if I have to do that for all 4 classes then I'm not sure I'll get it finished.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I'll try over at waygook as well)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a "one size fits all" lesson I could adapt for the 4 different grades? (I'll try over at waygook as well)

If you are stuck and only have time to plan 1 general lesson then Prepositions is an easy one to adapt to multiple classes. There are plenty of resources on Waygook for that 1.

Here are some links..
    http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,10539.0.html
    http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,13689.0.html
    http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,6047.0.html

Depending on the various levels or your classes, there are more than enough activities, with varying degrees of difficulty, to keep them busy.

Download 2 or 3 powerpoints from waygook.org.

Worksheet ideas (after going over the various prepositions using a PPT);

Low level - 6 boxes on a page. Instruct the kids where to draw a ball in relation to the box.

Mid level - Requires no prep! Design a room. Give each kid a blank page and they must construct a living room based on where you tell them to place the furniture e.g. there is a table. The TV is on the table. The bookcase is next to the table.... etc. Each kid then presents his room to the class.

High level - Use a wider range of prepositions. Give them a picture that has various animals/people/random things on it. Tell them to write as many sentences as they can in X amount of time using prepositions...

There is an almost endless amount of activities you could do with this lesson. Good luck!

Roosh, does this mean you're not teaching from the book, you have to make up entirely different lessons / subjects each class. That sucks. Why? Is it just a temporary situation while coteacher is away? Otherwise just carry on with the books?

• Advertisement

If you are stuck and only have time to plan 1 general lesson then Prepositions is an easy one to adapt to multiple classes. There are plenty of resources on Waygook for that 1.

Here are some links..
    http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,10539.0.html
    http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,13689.0.html
    http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,6047.0.html

Depending on the various levels or your classes, there are more than enough activities, with varying degrees of difficulty, to keep them busy.

Download 2 or 3 powerpoints from waygook.org.

Worksheet ideas (after going over the various prepositions using a PPT);

Low level - 6 boxes on a page. Instruct the kids where to draw a ball in relation to the box.

Mid level - Requires no prep! Design a room. Give each kid a blank page and they must construct a living room based on where you tell them to place the furniture e.g. there is a table. The TV is on the table. The bookcase is next to the table.... etc. Each kid then presents his room to the class.

High level - Use a wider range of prepositions. Give them a picture that has various animals/people/random things on it. Tell them to write as many sentences as they can in X amount of time using prepositions...

There is an almost endless amount of activities you could do with this lesson. Good luck!

cheers that was a very helpful suggestion. I'll undoubtedly use it at some point in the future, but I had alrady started putting something together on "nationalities" so I'll just use that tomorrow.

ekevosu wrote: »
    Roosh, does this mean you're not teaching from the book, you have to make up entirely different lessons / subjects each class. That sucks. Why? Is it just a temporary situation while coteacher is away? Otherwise just carry on with the books?

I teach a few classes with my co-teacher - I say teach, I really mean he gets me to pronounce a few words and sentences every now and then - and he uses the books and DVDs. When I was preparing my very first lesson I was going through one of the books and asked him where the students had left off; he told me that we'd use the book in the classes he teachest not in the ones I teach on my own; he basically just told me to go onto waygook and get something from there.

I initially intended to put together lessons that followed on from what the students did but with 4 classes tomorrow, there wasn't a hope I'd get that done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I initially intended to put together lessons that followed on from what the students did but with 4 classes tomorrow, there wasn't a hope I'd get that done.

Could you not put together a class that has some elements of revision for the students. If you have the book to work from and take into account what was done in the last class it would be half the battle?

Could you not put together a class that has some elements of revision for the students. If you have the book to work from and take into account what was done in the last class it would be half the battle?

that's what I would like to do in future but on Thursday I had 4 lessons to plan for Fridayand I wouldn't have managed to get them all done in one evening. I'm expected to have my lessons planned a week in advance, but because I was thrown straight into teaching classes I've only been able to plan one day in advance, so I need to just get a few lessons in that are easily planned to give me time to get on top of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Well I'm off to Korea in 3 weeks, my first job over there. I'll be in Daegu. What's an acceptable gift to bring for the school director? Anyone got some websites that are good for resources/ex-pat communities/events/etc for korea??

Well I'm off to Korea in 3 weeks, my first job over there. I'll be in Daegu. What's an acceptable gift to bring for the school director? Anyone got some websites that are good for resources/ex-pat communities/events/etc for korea??

www.waygook.org - Probably the best 1.
    www.eslcafe.org

For events/ex-pat groups - There are facebook groups about everything. Daegu has 3 soccer teams and a GAA team. You can find the GAA team on facebook. Ask them any questions and they'll help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Can ye guys receive texts and calls from Irish mobiles over here?

What code/number have ye guys given people at home for it to work?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Can ye guys receive texts and calls from Irish mobiles over here?

What code/number have ye guys given people at home for it to work?

As far as I'm aware irish mobiles won't work in korea. If they did, there would be no code or number, it would just be a case of calling the number as is - to my knowledge that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

No i meant Irish mobiles calling/texting my Korean mobile.

my apologies!

I don't have a mobile myself yet but the country code for Korea 0082, so presumably diall 0082 and drop the first 0 of your mobile number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

For my family, I can use 001353. Even though I ring by LG/SK Telecom I would get a bill from KT Telecom, because the call goes through them for international calls.

It's expensive. I'd suggest using a smart phone with skype or kakaotalk on it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

i would suggest skype too. even if your family don't have it, it works out much cheaper to call them on it. about 2cent a minute to a landline or you can pay about €4 for unlimited calls to Ireland per month.

I also got a 'skype in' number for about €25 a year. It meant my family without the capability to use skype or internet could call my skype phone number and they'd only be charged for making a local call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JebusCripes

Hey guys can somebody clear something up. Im getting my documents ready for my visa application.

I have the police check - and i need to get that apostilled

I have my degree, original and copy, now I need to take this to a notary, to have it notariesed ok, but then i read that i "might" need to then take it tot he registar of the sumpreme court for another stamp or something before i can get it apostilled, the notary i called didnt seem to know about that.

Can anyone set me straight?

I'll be entering Korea on a tourist visa so i want make sure i have everything i need before i go....

thanks

Hey guys can somebody clear something up. Im getting my documents ready for my visa application.

I have my degree, original and copy, now I need to take this to a notary, to have it notariesed ok, but then i read that i "might" need to then take it tot he registar of the sumpreme court for another stamp or something before i can get it apostilled, the notary i called didnt seem to know about that.

I'll be entering Korea on a tourist visa so i want make sure i have everything i need before i go....

thanks

lol, supreme court. Nah, you don't need to take it there.

thanks

Are you planning on changing your visa once you get there as you don't need any of that for a tourist visa?

Yes, im entering on a tourist visa and staying with a friend there until i find a job, the i'll do a visa run or whatever i guess.

Here is where I read about having to take the notarised copy to the registarof the supreme court....

http://teachersforsouthkorea.com/how-to-apply/steps-involved/irish-teachers/

As im currently in Thailand and having to do all this remotely, its quite a pain lol

So i just get it notarised by my nearest notary back home, apostilled and good to go?

Yes, im entering on a tourist visa and staying with a friend there until i find a job, the i'll do a visa run or whatever i guess.

Here is where I read about having to take the notarised copy to the registarof the supreme court....

http://teachersforsouthkorea.com/how-to-apply/steps-involved/irish-teachers/

As im currently in Thailand and having to do all this remotely, its quite a pain lol

So i just get it notarised by my nearest notary back home, apostilled and good to go?
    In some cases, you may be able to skip this Step 3, but please consult with the notary public you deal with and they will advise you on this.

It says it there, you most likely don't need to do it. Tbh, it's the first I've heard about it.

red_bairn wrote: »
    It says it there, you most likely don't need to do it. Tbh, it's the first I've heard about it.

super , thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

thanks

You used to have to get that years ago. I had to do it when I first applied for my visa, but it's no longer required.

Will this be your first Korean visa? When getting your first visa, they now require you to have an interview in the Korean embassy in your home country before they will grant the visa.

As with Korean rules, these are subject to change upon the person you're dealing with on any given day. With a bit of luck they'll let you have the interview in Japan for the visa.

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    You used to have to get that years ago. I had to do it when I first applied for my visa, but it's no longer required.

Will this be your first Korean visa? When getting your first visa, they now require you to have an interview in the Korean embassy in your home country before they will grant the visa.

As with Korean rules, these are subject to change upon the person you're dealing with on any given day. With a bit of luck they'll let you have the interview in Japan for the visa.

If you work for a public school (EPIK) and get a 'letter of appointment' you don't need to even leave the country. Rules are changing all the time but this was the case for me on a first visa this year. I just changed from a tourist to a teaching visa while I was here (never leaving Korea). Several officials in different locations confirmed this was the case. Hagwon jobs will still have to leave the country but as always confirm with emigration. Don't trust the Korean embassy in Ireland as they usually are clueless .....or were the times I rang them anyway.

Advertisement