Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Hi I am finally getting around to looking into what I need for the application. I'm sure this have been asked before but...... Where do I get the clearance from the garda from? and what exactly is it called? I went into my local garda station yesterday and he said that I have to write a letter to the garda vetting unit in Thurles? Am I asking for a garda clearance certificate, the same as the one you need to work with children etc or is it something else? Thanks alot if someone can clear this up for me:)

You don't need the one from Thurles. The one you need is free.

Just go in to your local station (or the closest one with a superintendent) tell them you need a letter stating you have no criminal convictions. Tell them you need it for a visa, not for working with kids. Also mention it's for South Korea, if you want.

Sometimes you might not get to speak to whoever you need, so bring in a letter, with you name, address (addresses for the past 5-6 years), date of birth, PPS number, passport number, telephone number etc. Also include why you need it on the letter.

They should send it out to you in about a week. Call them after 2, if you haven't received anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

cloneslad wrote: »
    You don't need the one from Thurles. The one you need is free.

Just go in to your local station (or the closest one with a superintendent) tell them you need a letter stating you have no criminal convictions. Tell them you need it for a visa, not for working with kids. Also mention it's for South Korea, if you want.

Sometimes you might not get to speak to whoever you need, so bring in a letter, with you name, address (addresses for the past 5-6 years), date of birth, PPS number, passport number, telephone number etc. Also include why you need it on the letter.

They should send it out to you in about a week. Call them after 2, if you haven't received anything from them.

Great thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

Hi guys!
    I got my copy of my CBC notarised yesterday, but I saw on a different site today that the original CBC is the one that needs to be apostilled. So what I'd like to know is which one do I need to send to the dept of foreign affairs to be apostilled-the notarised copy or the original? Or does it matter?

Hi guys!
    I got my copy of my CBC notarised yesterday, but I saw on a different site today that the original CBC is the one that needs to be apostilled. So what I'd like to know is which one do I need to send to the dept of foreign affairs to be apostilled-the notarised copy or the original? Or does it matter?

original

Thanks Cloneslad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

FCUM wrote: »
    Though i'd posted this the other day but for some reason it didnt post.

Did anyone have to do a video to go along with their application? A recruiter has told us to do this as its becoming more common. Actually makes sense really. Anyone got any tips re: format and how long it should be and maybe what they look for?
    Bump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

FCUM wrote: »
    Bump :)

Didn't have to do one for EPIK

You're probably better off getting feedback from the guys over on Daves ESL. It's a much bigger audience, and I don't recall anyone here ever mentioning that they did one. I do remember people talking about them on daves, when I used to frequent that site.

Regarding transcripts, I got a few copies from my university. I asked them to stamp and sign it on the seal, and I was told that they do that anyway, but when I got my copies, they were all in one envelope with no seal or stamp. The envelope does have the college crest on it and the transcripts themselves have embossed seals. Will this suffice or should I ring again and get the envelope properly sealed? I have my EPIK interview in the morning and I have pretty much all my doc sorted apart from apostilling. Having to get transcripts again could be a real fly in the ointment :(

Regarding transcripts, I got a few copies from my university. I asked them to stamp and sign it on the seal, and I was told that they do that anyway, but when I got my copies, they were all in one envelope with no seal or stamp. The envelope does have the college crest on it and the transcripts themselves have embossed seals. Will this suffice or should I ring again and get the envelope properly sealed? I have my EPIK interview in the morning and I have pretty much all my doc sorted apart from apostilling. Having to get transcripts again could be a real fly in the ointment :(

Make a few copies of each year. Put a set of yearly transcripts into a few envelopes (year 1-2-3-4 into a single envelope) bring it to the college, get them to stamp the seal. It doesn't have to be an embossed stamp, just the normal one from the admissions office will do.

Get 3-4 of them done. Also keep a set, just in case you need to use them in the future, as it'll save you time and money having to get more.

• Advertisement

Make a few copies of each year. Put a set of yearly transcripts into a few envelopes (year 1-2-3-4 into a single envelope) bring it to the college, get them to stamp the seal. It doesn't have to be an embossed stamp, just the normal one from the admissions office will do.

Get 3-4 of them done. Also keep a set, just in case you need to use them in the future, as it'll save you time and money having to get more.

Thanks again for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Anyone know where i can buy a cotton mattress cover for a double bed? One of those ones that's elasticated and fits around the mattress. not a flat sheet. i saw some in emart but they're too expensive. i live in seoul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Anyone know where i can buy a cotton mattress cover for a double bed? One of those ones that's elasticated and fits around the mattress. not a flat sheet. i saw some in emart but they're too expensive. i live in seoul.

Have any Korean friend who can order online for you? Probably a lot cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 warofthebutton

I have a fairly urgent question I'm hoping someone can help me out with....
    I'm based currently in Ireland and I just got accepted for a school in Suwon who need a teacher ASAP. I'm due to fly out next week and I don't have a Korean work visa, instead the plan by the school is to pay for a trip for me to go to Japan and get it there.
    My issue is that I have been asking around and apparently I need evidence of a return flight to Ireland or I might face issues with immigration, does anyone have experience of heading over to teach on short notice without having the work visa first? Does the applicant need to have a return flight booked before they leave Ireland or can they book return flights once they arrive in Korea and before they head to Japan for the work visa?
    I would be very grateful for any help

I have a fairly urgent question I'm hoping someone can help me out with....
    I'm based currently in Ireland and I just got accepted for a school in Suwon who need a teacher ASAP. I'm due to fly out next week and I don't have a Korean work visa, instead the plan by the school is to pay for a trip for me to go to Japan and get it there.
    My issue is that I have been asking around and apparently I need evidence of a return flight to Ireland or I might face issues with immigration, does anyone have experience of heading over to teach on short notice without having the work visa first? Does the applicant need to have a return flight booked before they leave Ireland or can they book return flights once they arrive in Korea and before they head to Japan for the work visa?
    I would be very grateful for any help

If you don't have evidence of onward travel, then you're supposed to have a return ticket.

Some airlines may not let you on the plane as it will be their expense to fly you back, but you can usually sign a waiver to say you would sort out your own return.

Some people I know have pre-booked a trip on the beatle ferry from Busan (korea) to Fukuoka (Japan). Making sure that it's a few weeks after you enter korea, but not more than 90days. These tickets do not have to be paid for when you book them, and can be cancelled up until a few weeks before hand, with no charge to you. Of course I would never suggest you doing such a thing, as that would be dishonest and illegal, and boards would not allow it.

What you're doing is illegal and if found working you will face deportation. If you haven't previously had a Korean visa, you may not be allowed to obtain your visa in Japan either, as 1st visas for private institutions require an interview in your home country. (depending on who you are dealing with in immigration)

I would advise you, strongly, to go the legal route to getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 warofthebutton

thanks very much, I genuinely had no idea this was illegal! I think I'll book a return flight just to be on the safe side

thanks very much, I genuinely had no idea this was illegal! I think I'll book a return flight just to be on the safe side

That'll still be illegal as the other method, as you plan to go there and work without the required visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Do_Lers

Anyone going anywhere interesting for Winter break?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Do_Lers wrote: »
    Anyone going anywhere interesting for Winter break?

Home for a bit in January but working for most of it. Anyone else back to work on December 26th??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Home for a bit in January but working for most of it. Anyone else back to work on December 26th??

Cambodia from the 17th till the 25th December....counting down the days until my skin sees sun again. The cold snap is really hitting home now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Am I the only sap that has to do winter camps? :(

Cambodia from the 17th till the 25th December....counting down the days until my skin sees sun again. The cold snap is really hitting home now!

I'd rather the cold snap to having to go to Cambodia again.

Limit the amount of time you have to spend in Phnom Penh, it's a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Elaborate please?
    Why is it such a dump?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Elaborate please?
    Why is it such a dump?

Apart from the prison and the killing fields, Phnom Penh has nothing going for it. It's just a city...a poor one at that, full of dirt, annoying people, bad food and boredom.

You can visit the killing fields and prison in day. I stayed in a hotel next to the prison, so I just walked over to it, then after I was done, I toook a ride out to the killing fields, which you can view in about an hour or 2 (slightly longer if you stay and watch the video). For me, the killing fields were nice to visit, to truely understand just what went on, but the idea of taking loads of photos of people's skulls and bones wasn't very enticing, I couldn't understand why people would want to pose next to them.

Reading the horror stories from both of those places takes it out of you, mentally, and you need to unwind after it. Unfortunately the food in Phnom Penh is terrible, so you can't even go to a decent restaurant / street food place and relax.

The indoor market is okay though, you could spend a few hours in there, but as I was travelling on I didn't really buy much, only a couple of t-shirts that I paid about a dollar for. The cambodians are terrible at haggling, several times I would look at an item because I thought it was nice, they'd shout $25 or some silly price, I'd say no thank you and browse around, then I'd get $20, $15, $12, $10, $6, $4 shouted at me over the course of a minute as I pleasantly declined...I honestly thought If I hung around the area long enough, they would give me money to take it away.

Siem Reap is well worth a few days though, the tourist sites are nice, good pubs, nice restaurants, great, cheap street food and you could walk around for hours, while also declining Cannabis, coke, heroin, from the local friendly dealers.

I didn't go to the beach areas though, so they could be nice, I just wanted to get out of phnom Penh (I'd spent about 4 days there and wanted to get to vietnam asap, was delighted when I did, because Vietnam was awesome).

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth, you might love it...that's what travelling is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

I don't know anyone here that doesn't have to do winter camps...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm doing a winter camp after Xmas. Starts on the 4th of January
    I'd rather the cold snap to having to go to Cambodia again.

Limit the amount of time you have to spend in Phnom Penh, it's a dump.

My brother is in Phnom Penh, we are going to Angor watt for a few days and chilling out in Phnom Penh for a few days too. It shouldn't be too bad at all. :) I'm really excited about getting some sun!

Just another question on the apartment key money; does anyone know if this is done on the basis of a yearly contract, or is it more like a longer-term investment?

It sounds like it could be a lot of hassle and cost for the school to break a lease, but, if it was done on a yearly basis then at some point during the year the contract would come to an end, and it might be easier to orchestrate a move then.

Has anyone here done a Temple Stay; if so was there english speaking monks/guides there; and would you recommend any particular temple?

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

roosh wrote: »
    Just another question on the apartment key money; does anyone know if this is done on the basis of a yearly contract, or is it more like a longer-term investment?

It sounds like it could be a lot of hassle and cost for the school to break a lease, but, if it was done on a yearly basis then at some point during the year the contract would come to an end, and it might be easier to orchestrate a move then.

Yeah it's a yearly thing or whatever you negotiate with the landlord. I have a 7 month contract with mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

roosh wrote: »
    Has anyone here done a Temple Stay; if so was there english speaking monks/guides there; and would you recommend any particular temple?

I did one by jiri San, can't remember the name right now but it was great. Beautiful place, very relaxing. Early mornings were tough but a great experience. There was no English guide there. They do them all over Korea. Jeolhansa (spelling?) in pyeongchang is beautiful. I think there is a website for tourists looking to do a temple stay. Try a google and it might come up. The bigger temples usually have monks that speak a bit of English.

Advertisement