Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We have this thing called elections both local and national if anyone does not agree with a politician do not voter them back in it's as simple as that.

touts wrote: »
    It is her home at the moment. The racists on here claiming it isn't because it is a state property are simply deflecting from the actions of their fellow racists.

It is time the state got serious with groups like these. The idea that 30 could turn up and only one be arrested is unacceptable. All 30 of them should have been arrested. If they tried this stunt in France or most other EU nations they would have had their heads cracked by the riot squad and the ringleaders would have started a lengthy jail sentence already.

No protests allowed at Mansion House, Áras an Uachtaráin, The White House, An Dáil Eireann, 10 Downing Street and every other home of private citizens.

Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

paw patrol wrote: »
    when you were critical of the protests at "her home"

but you say below.

does this not mean they cannot protest at the mansion house cos (you claim) it is her home.

enlighten me then, when can they protest at the mansion in your opinion?

Protesting = harassing someone on the doorstep of where they live, for a policy that they have nothing to do with?

Nah, it's something else, and you all know it.

boombang wrote: »
    I don't think Chu played a blinder in response to George Nkencho, but there's been a nasty, grossly disproportionate backlash. Crazy stuff.

She's been receiving overtly racist abuse long before that

mariaalice wrote: »
    We have this thing called elections both local and national if anyone does not agree with a politician do not voter them back in it's as simple as that.

So you disagree with all forms of political protest. Ok.

• Advertisement

She's been receiving overtly racist abuse long before that

Ah but they have a tweet now to "justify" their shit you see.

Racists, completely and utterly blind to their own racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Are you actually victim-blaming her, they were an anti-mask protest.

I'd imagine a lot of the anti-mask gobsh1tes are also not fond of immigrants coming to this country.

So yeah, I'll double down on my comment where I insinuate this protest probably has something to do with her comments about G. Nkencho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Chu didn’t once say in the article that the protestors showed up at the Mansion House because she was Chinese to be fair to her; the article did mention that she has received loads of racist commentary and hassle online - something which is true.

Are all anti-mask conspiracists in the far right? No. But much of the anti-mask/anti-lockdown stuff in Ireland has been driven by far-right groups as well as neo-fascist groups like the National Party. They’re the ones who organised many of the protests we saw in Dublin year. There is often an organisational or political link between Covid conspiracy and far-right political sentiment in Ireland.

I’ve nothing politically in common with Chu and can’t stand the party she’s a member of, but equally she shouldn’t be harassed coming out of her front door by a shower of headbangers shouting about nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I edged towards the door and when I got there one shouted: 'Hazel Chu, you're going to turn into a shapeshifting dragon someday and we're going to catch it on camera'. It was bizarre.

Sounds more like conspiracy theorists than Nazis.

It doesnt matter. Its still harassment and its still wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So when you say something disagreeable, it gives licence to be harassed by the far right - for an entirely different thing - mask wearing?

You're saying she's fair game to be harassed for something completely unrelated because she said something completely unrelated?

Sounds classy, sounds like an apologist for racists harassing a woman on her doorstep (like it or not, it's her doorstep). victim blaming to the extreme. Jesus h christ.

Stall the ball there boss. Can you show me where I have backed the protesters?

I'll wait.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Stall the ball there boss. Can you show me where I have backed the protesters?

I'll wait.

I took your post as backing, and victim blaming - it's still victim blaming for sure, but I will retract my assertion that you backed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

The public don't get to vote for the position of lord mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not defending these people.

But the "home" in the article question is the mansion house. That's like saying a protest at the Aras is at Micheal D's private residence. It's not the same.

It's a bit disingenuous to claim it's her home which would imply it's her private residence. If they protested at her actual home that would be terrible behaviour.

Is the mansion house out of bounds for protest? surely not,.

It is her home.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Effects wrote: »
    Again, it's her home. And no one has answered about why people are protesting at her residence/temporary mansion, about face masks.
    Because they're idiots. The general public is replete with idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

dennispenn wrote: »
    The public don't get to vote for the position of lord mayor.

I'd say it would be unlikely that someone who was the last elected in their area would be elected as mayor but I haven't researched so could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It is her home.

Should it be illegal to protest outside the Mansion House?

It is her home.

It is also an official state residence of the lord mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The idea that she can expect some anti-maskers protesting as a result of her comments after the Nchenko shooting makes no sense to me whatsoever. I can't see any connection between the two.

Comparisons to 10 Downing Street and the White House fall down quite a bit when you consider the different levels of distance and security involved.

And that's even before you ask why anti-mask nutters would see either the Mansion House or Chu are some kind of target in the first place. There's nothing about the building itself or the office of Lord Mayor that has any real significance in terms of government policy.

You might as well protest at Busaras.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think it's a bit disingenuous to call surrounding someone and harrassinf them a protest. They should have stood back from her at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And doesn't The Lord Mayor live in the mansion house?

How can you say that's not her home? FFS

It's an official residence. She's mayor 24x7, so lives at work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No protests allowed at Mansion House, Áras an Uachtaráin, The White House, An Dáil Eireann, 10 Downing Street and every other home of private citizens.

Got it.

Can you just walk up to the front door of Downing Street or the White House?

?m=02&d=20120510&t=2&i=605387742&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=ALNE84914F200

I'm not even going to bother with a photo of the White House

Should it be illegal to protest outside the Mansion House?

It should be illegal to harass someone at their home, under the shroud of a "peeeceful protest"

Why would anyone want to direct an anti-mask protest against the lord mayor of a city who has absolutely nothing to do with, or say in - mask policy? I wonder...

Can you just walk up to the front door of Downing Street or the White House?

?m=02&d=20120510&t=2&i=605387742&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=ALNE84914F200

I'm not even going to bother with a photo of the White House

All homes. Indistinguishable from a privately purchased residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im not Chu's biggest fan nor her biggets enemy. I agree with some things she does and not others. If Im honest I soured on her a little recently. But sure shes one of many politician Ive soured on recently.

But no matter how much I disagree Im never gonna protest outside someones home. She has young kids, it must be an awful experience.

These Anti-mask lot need some reality checks. For many reasons.

And I dont see how harassing an official in this manner is going to help their cause. Stupidity on many fronts.

osarusan wrote: »
    The idea that she can expect some anti-maskers protesting as a result of her comments after the Nchenko shooting makes no sense to me whatsoever. I can't see any connection between the two.

Comparisons to 10 Downing Street and the White House fall down quite a bit when you consider the different levels of distance and security involved.

And that's even before you ask why anti-mask nutters would see either the Mansion House or Chu are some kind of target in the first place. There's nothing about the building itself or the office of Lord Mayor that has any real significance in terms of government policy.

You might as well protest at Busaras.

We all know why the protest was there, we all know why it's being defended by the usuals, we all know why indeed. But they know there's no 'proof' otherwise. Welcome to the discourse of the '20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Protesting = harassing someone on the doorstep of where they live, for a policy that they have nothing to do with?

Nah, it's something else, and you all know it.

the point, the entire point I made is that the mansion house is a legit state building for protest it is not a private residence. That is it.

you are attempting to invent a link between that point and approval of the aims and behaviour of the protesters. That is just not the case.
    I suspect that it a deliberate tactic of yours to shut down discussion by inventing links between opinions you disagree with to unsavoury people or politics.
    a well worn tactic , bit too over used at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

francois wrote: »
    Desperate spinning from the usual cohort. She currently resides at the Mansion House. It is her current home.

The Lord Mayor gets to live there but It’s an official public building

the point, the entire point I made is that the mansion house is a legit state building for protest it is not a private residence. That is it.

you are attempting to invent a link between that point and approval of the aims and behaviour of the protesters. That is just not the case.
    I suspect that it a deliberate tactic of yours to shut down discussion by inventing links between opinions you disagree with to unsavoury people or politics.
    a well worn tactic , bit too over used at this stage.

It is a private residence, she lives their with her kids man...

I dont need to invent anything, its plain as day for all to see. I'm not going to change your mind, I don't care that I won't, but you won't stop me giving my piece - the same as I won't stop you.

Maybe overused, probably true though..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

All homes. Indistinguishable from a privately purchased residence.

I don't know where you live my but my residences never had security fences and armed guards protecting them, just like the Mansion House doesn't either.

• Advertisement

It is a private residence, she lives their with her kids man...

I dont need to invent anything, its plain as day for all to see. I'm not going to change your mind, I don't care that I won't, but you won't stop me giving my piece - the same as I won't stop you.

Maybe overused, probably true though..

I'm 100% against the protesters...........but...............the protesters were in a public place weren't they? So private residence or not, the protesters (wrong as they are) have a right to protest in a public place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement