Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You'd better start educating them now about good whiskey. It would be a shame to find out that they've drunk the good stuff and topped it up with water in a misguided effort to hide their drinking.

Amateur hour, you only top up the clear spirits with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

CramCycle wrote: »
    Amateur hour, you only top up the clear spirits with water.

I didn't mention the colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You'd better start educating them now about good whiskey. It would be a shame to find out that they've drunk the good stuff and topped it up with water in a misguided effort to hide their drinking.
    I've a nice unopened bottle of Midleton Very Rare at home. I'm always terrified that Mrs WA and her DryRobe friends will come in from the sea and make hot whiskeys with it. I've taken to putting plenty of bottles of 'ordinary' stuff like Paddy/Powers/Bushmills around it in the drinks cabinet to deflect from it.

(PS - apologies if this is a silly question but, after being bottled, does whiskey improve or deteriorate when left unopened?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a nice unopened bottle of Midleton Very Rare at home. I'm always terrified that Mrs WA and her DryRobe friends will come in from the sea and make hot whiskeys with it. I've taken to putting plenty of bottles of 'ordinary' stuff like Paddy/Powers/Bushmills around it in the drinks cabinet to deflect from it.

(PS - apologies if this is a silly question but, after being bottled, does whiskey improve or deteriorate when left unopened?)

AFAIK, whiskey ages in the cask. The clock stops once it's bottled. I'm no expert but like wine, I'd imagine that some are probably better consumed sooner and others (most) will be fine for many, many years. I imagine many outlive their owners!

Back in 2006 I visited a distillery in Scotland - one of the Chivas owned ones in Speyside. I bought my Dad a bottle of 17 year old cask strength - distilled in 1987 and bottled in 2005, 58% - pricey enough for 500ml. The following Christmas my Mam used most of in the Christmas pudding. Dad wasn't happy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Kickr Snap in stock on CycleSuperstore in case anyone has been looking like me.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    AFAIK, whiskey ages in the cask. The clock stops once it's bottled...
    That's what I was thinking. It's a €275 bottle so I'm always waiting for the right moment. I'm afraid I'll come home some night (post covid) after a belly full of pints and decide to open it then. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's what I was thinking. It's a €275 bottle so I'm always waiting for the right moment. I'm afraid I'll come home some night (post covid) after a belly full of pints and decide to open it then. :eek:

Keep it out of sunlight is the most important thing

It'll be fine for a long time after it's opened.

Four or five pints in the local then home for some good music and the Midleton. Heaven.

Just don't plan the Wicklow Gap for the following morning!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yes, well out of sunlight and presented in a wooden case.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Midleton-Very-Rare-2017-70cl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yes, well out of sunlight and presented in a wooden case.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Midleton-Very-Rare-2017-70cl

Oh I know the ones! Sometimes people keep the doors open or put the bottle in front of the case etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The alcohol can evaporate once opened so don't leave it too long.
    https://www.whisky.com/information/knowledge/about-whisky/storage/does-whiskey-go-bad.html

I'd also recommend getting a Glencairn glass. I got mine in the Celtic Whiskey Shop but not sure if they're still available. They do have these though which are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

keane2097 wrote: »

You're thinking of vampires.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Depending on the year, it could be worth a bit more than 275 now.

2020 sold out everywhere. Can still get 2019 in a few places though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an old colleague of mine has quite a whiskey collection; about 200 bottles, half opened, half kept for posterity.
    one of the more unusual ones is a hennessey (sp?) whiskey. produced in cooley for hennessey for the japanese market, so a standard hennessey label on the front, and on the back is japanese script. nothing special at all, real €25 a bottle stuff, but was only made in one run 10 or 20 years ago, so its rarity means it's probably worth north of €500.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The alcohol can evaporate once opened so don't leave it too long.
    https://www.whisky.com/information/knowledge/about-whisky/storage/does-whiskey-go-bad.html
    i'm currently nipping into a caol ila we've had in the house for seven or eight years and it tastes unchanged (i.e. a little bit like TCP)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

My wife buys me a bottle of yellow spot for Christmas every year. It rarely sees February.

my wife bought me a bottle of 16 year old knappogue this evening. it goes down dangerously easily.

my wife bought me a bottle of 16 year old knappogue this evening. it goes down dangerously easily.

Here's us drinking the prosecco we were given for Christmas meant to be had on Christmas day we forgot about. I'm not a lover of fizzy wine but this stuff is actually pretty nice. Certainly better than a bottle of Moet for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Very nice indeed, you've done well there.

I'm on beer this evening, going to have to start easing up given I've agreed to fight as soon as shows can start.

she won a grand and a half on the lotto at the weekend; this is her cutting me in on her winnings.

• Advertisement

How many numbers is that MB?

We play 3 numbers including the bonus so 3 out of 7 in the bookies and win about 330 a few times a year. Only thing I'd bet on. With the bookies closed we hate watch the lotto every Saturday hoping our numbers won't come up.

My first order from Alltricks since Brexit. Shipping is via Chronopost/DPD. Normally the shipment routes from France to Birmigham and then onto Athlone. This time it went from Paris to Eindhoven and on to Athlone. No difference in delivery time.

5, i think? i think the next level up before the main jackpot is five plus the bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

she won a grand and a half on the lotto at the weekend; this is her cutting me in on her winnings.

I won 3 euro :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very nice indeed, you've done well there.

I'm on beer this evening, going to have to start easing up given I've agreed to fight as soon as shows can start.

Ordered up a bunch of low alcohol beers yesterday. Up about 4kg since end of November so really need to start focussing on diet and waaay more exercise.

smacl wrote: »
    Ordered up a bunch of low alcohol beers yesterday. Up about 4kg since end of November so really need to start focussing on diet and waaay more exercise.

I ordered a White Hag box, next day their master brewer comes out as a proud boy, qanon supporting loon. Seems they're in trouble. Shame really, one of my favourite brewery's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I ordered a White Hag box, next day their master brewer comes out as a proud boy, qanon supporting loon. Seems they're in trouble. Shame really, one of my favourite brewery's

Interesting, I tried to order some stuff from them before Christmas but they were out of stock. Ordered from https://craftcentral.ie/ yesterday and it was delivered this morning which is pretty good going. They seem to have a great range, looking forward to tasting a couple tonight.

That's what arrived in the box for 60quid.

Craftcentral.ie seem to have a good selection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Outtakes from Sam Bennett's recent advert for the NowTV Dublin Bikes...

https://twitter.com/Sammmy_Be/status/1352651662310203393

Advertisement