Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess me warning it wasn't worth watching is going to prove to be counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

eeeee wrote: »
    Yikes so much cringe, for both of them :o

Ah its a bit funny.

Also, maybe tipsy

Nicely played there , he had the helmet and glasses on so nobody will pass him on the street and say here you're that guy from that cringe add :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ah its a bit funny.

Also, maybe tipsy
    top man; my better half won a grand and a half on the lotto on saturday and has promised me a nice bottle of whiskey. that's an interesting nominee.

top man; my better half won a grand and a half on the lotto on saturday and has promised me a nice bottle of whiskey. that's an interesting nominee.

I had a few bob from delayed bonuses so I earmarked a few quid for a couple of bottles, one of which was a Redbreast Cask Strength 12yo which is the same price as the Teeling above, the Teeling is nicer imo.

A dark horse though is the Writers Tears Red Head at about 60notes

Edit: Congrats on the win!

• Advertisement

I have 2 things in life that make me gag instantly at the smell of, frying mushrooms and whiskey. Go figure :p

I had a few bob from delayed bonuses so I earmarked a few quid for a couple of bottles, one of which was a Redbreast Cask Strength 12yo which is the same price as the Terling above, the Teeling is nicer imo.

cheers; i am partial to redbreast, but the teeling sounds good.
    for my 40th (a few years ago) i think i got more bottles of whiskey than all other presents combined.

cheers; i am partial to redbreast, but the teeling sounds good.
    for my 40th (a few years ago) i think i got more bottles of whiskey than all other presents combined.

I've been through a few 12 and 15 Redbreasts but never went at the Cask Strength before and did this time, it's nicest of those 3 and for my money the Teeling is nicer. I let my collection dwindle but am building it back up now. Sampling a lot of it this evening though :pac:

best whiskey i've tasted is one sadly out of reach currently. oban distillery only edition; cask strength, no age statement, fabulous stuff.

• Advertisement

best whiskey i've tasted is one sadly out of reach currently. oban distillery only edition; cask strength, no age statement, fabulous stuff.

A couple of months ago I was put on to a bottle of Kilbeggan 8yo that was on offer in Aldi for 30quid, while doing some work in the house myself and a buddy drank it like it was water and devoured the bottle. It's not available now and selling for over 100 a bottle on the whiskey auction sites

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A couple of months ago I was put on to a bottle of Kilbeggan 8yo that was on offer in Aldi for 30quid, while doing some work in the house myself and a buddy drank it like it was water and devoured the bottle. It's not available now and selling for over 100 a bottle on the whiskey auction sites

You could get it in James Foxes for 45 quid up until a few weeks ago. It had a real rum quality to it.

There was a lot of good whiskey to be bought and great prices before Christmas. I ended up with quite a collection

If she's feeling very generous, some middleton barry crocket legacy.

Weepsie wrote: »
    You could get it in James Foxes for 45 quid up until a few weeks ago. It had a real rum quality to it.

There was a lot of good whiskey to be bought and great prices before Christmas. I ended up with quite a collection

Have you tried the Drumshanbo? I've not yet and eager to try.

I've not. I treated myself to writers tears mizunara cask strength for my wedding and my friend sent me a bottle of RB15 and sister a bottle of green Spot so I've enough to keep me going.

A whiskey tasting experience or 3 is hopefully a goer when all is normal

I've not. I treated myself to writers tears mizunara cask strength for my wedding and my friend sent me a bottle of RB15 and sister a bottle of green Spot so I've enough to keep me going.

You have a nice few there, serious envy for the Writers Tears.. Tonight I've had a couple from the Teeling, a couple from the Writers Tears Red Head and now moving to Lambay. All washed down with a load of offerings from The White Hag

We did a Bushmills one a few weeks ago, they sent a box full of swag to the house along with a heap of 50ml bottles for less than what it must have cost them to send it to my house.

came up on another forum, i'm a member of; one of the lads there mentioned he once may have seen a ghost in a bike shop he was working in, and he was a little freaked out when i asked 'hardings on bachelor's walk?'

had anyone else heard about that? to be fair, i heard it from a cyclists who wrote a book about ghosts, but it seemed to be one of those things kinda commonly bandied about, that hardings was supposedly haunted.

(i don't believe in ghosts, btw)

what in holy hell?

540071.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Cons
    "Constant wedgie"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In my previous job, I was involved in some IT work for the guys in Midleton. At the start of the project myself and a colleague were involved in meetings with the team over a few days. On one of the nights we were taken out to dinner in the Cornmarket in Cork by senior Midleton technical staff. Pre-dinner drinks included a number of these cocktails which were absolutely gorgeous...
    540072.png
    I toook a photo from the menu with the aim of making it myself (which I've still not done). Dessert was accompanied with ample servings of RB21.

Anyhow, on the last day down there, we were taken on a full factory tour (not the standard tourist tour!) followed by a tasting session in the distillery's "Irish Whiskey Academy". This involved sampling six whiskeys starting with Green Spot and working our way up to (I think) a Jameson 15YO.

I suspect that this course would be somewhat similar to what we experienced and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

One of the bonuses to doing that particular project was that every time I travelled down to Midleton, I ended up with at least one bottle of whiskey gifted by the staff. I still have some of them (unopened).

• Advertisement

what in holy hell?

540071.png
    I've a fin like that on the roof of my car - it's for sat nav apparently!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had a few bob from delayed bonuses so I earmarked a few quid for a couple of bottles, one of which was a Redbreast Cask Strength 12yo which is the same price as the Teeling above, the Teeling is nicer imo.

Controversial view from an ex drinker who liked Whiskey. Anyway, Teelings is generally sh1te bar their first run and they are trading on the name and rep that built up even though it wasn't even from their distillery. You should hear the BS they try and fill you with on their tours, complete bollix*l*gy. Some of it could be nice but not in my opinion.

Anyhow, on the last day down there, we were taken on a full factory tour (not the standard tourist tour!) followed by a tasting session in the distillery's "Irish Whiskey Academy". This involved sampling six whiskeys starting with Green Spot and working our way up to (I think) a Jameson 15YO.

When Green Spot is your starting whiskey (a personal favourite) you're in for something good

CramCycle wrote: »
    Controversial view from an ex drinker who liked Whiskey. Anyway, Teelings is generally sh1te bar their first run and they are trading on the name and rep that built up even though it wasn't even from their distillery. You should hear the BS they try and fill you with on their tours, complete bollix*l*gy. Some of it could be nice but not in my opinion.

In the main I agree. However I like this one :)

@seth, curious as to what you got from the boys in Midleton? Show us your shelf!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

CramCycle wrote: »

got to say had a few of the different cask ones from lidl over christmas and they were very quaffable at 25 notes a bottle

In the main I agree. However I like this one :)

@seth, curious as to what you got from the boys in Midleton? Show us your shelf!
    It was mainly Jameson or Powers. The Jamesons comprised usually of either Crested 10 (as it was then) or Black Barrel, both of which I really love. The Powers included John's Lane and Three Swallows. I also got a delicious bottle of Redbreast Lustau Edition.
    Collection includes a number of unopened bottles including Paddy Centenary Ed. Red Spot (1st release in the tin) amongst a couple of others.
    I feel like I'm boasting now :D

i tried method and madness for the first time recently, which i did like.

It was mainly Jameson or Powers. The Jamesons comprised usually of either Crested 10 (as it was then) or Black Barrel, both of which I really love. The Powers included John's Lane and Three Swallows. I also got a delicious bottle of Redbreast Lustau Edition.
    Collection includes a number of unopened bottles including Paddy Centenary Ed. Red Spot (1st release in the tin) amongst a couple of others.
    I feel like I'm boasting now :D

Not at all. Thats a nice collection you have going there

Not at all. Thats a nice collection you have going there
    ...and they've survived the various lockdowns! Just two teenage kids to worry about now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

...and they've survived the various lockdowns! Just two teenage kids to worry about now.

You'd better start educating them now about good whiskey. It would be a shame to find out that they've drunk the good stuff and topped it up with water in a misguided effort to hide their drinking.

Advertisement