Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing used campervan from Britain post Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The simple point is.
    The VRT should be calculated on the purchase price just like ALL other taxes and duties are.
    The purchase price is the price on the receipt/invoice issued by the seller.
    To mitigate against a fraudulent artificially low price being shown let there be a severe penalty if caught out, just like there is for other forms of tax evasion.

Excuse the pun, but the particular wheel has already been invented long ago.

IMHO the way VRT is administered is a design of the trade to discourage personal imports, after all, why wouldn't they want their patch protected.

Off-Topic I know, but our vehicle registration number system is a similar concoction of the trade to promote 'number plate snobbery' and sales. Wouldn't it be great to have a system like some other European countries where the reg. no. is random mix numbers and letters which give no indication of the place or year of registration.
    Spain, for example, consists of four numbers followed by three letters (eg. 1234 ABC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Del2005 you seem to be in agreement with revenue that we are not to be trusted :) Im sure it would be easy enough to manipulate the current system (what ever that is) with a couple of well placed adds on a popular online market site with a deflated price of the model you were about to present .

In the matter of law the Revenue should make it clear the "methodology used by it to determine the market selling price" . this should be available to the likes of yourself before you commit

sher it'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They could start by accepting the receipt of purchase as a the true valuation instead of treating us as some sort of rouge traders , as we know there is no online calculator for MHs.
    We both know that this would be open to huge abuse
    Its unfair to call a ruling by the CoA a red herring the court was quite clear in calling the practice unlawful,
    This example is a red herring, because it concerns something from 25 years ago, and centres around difficulty a dealer had in figuring out how VRT was calculated back then. It has nothing to do with the legality of VRT, or whatever practice you say is unlawful, I still can’t see which laws were being broken in that case.
    very little if anything has changed for someone importing a motorhome, Revenue are unlikely to change anything unless they were successfully challenged .

All the the above is interesting to some of us but not very useful to the OP sorry for the drift !

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ............................... I still can’t see which laws were being broken in that case.

I agree with your point, there is no 'law' being broken.
    However, the way VRT is operated is contrary to all the norms of taxation and is possible against our human rights to know the tax liability resulting from a transaction before entering into such.
    Show me one other example of a tax which cannot be ascertained once the cost of a purchase is known.
    Would you buy a house if the stamp duty was an unknown variable? or a would you import a case of wine if the excise duty was an unknown variable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Property tax?
    Capital gains tax?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Property tax?
    Capital gains tax?

Both those taxes are easily quantifiable to the liable person via a transparent formula.
    Property tax is assessed on the value of a property based on actual recorded sales prices (which does not include the property tax) for similar properties which are in the public domain, not a notional value based on an opaque calculation.
    Likewise, Capital Gains tax is calculated on the actual increase in the capital value of an asset, ie the difference between the price paid at the time of purchase and price received at the time of sale.

Neither of the two examples you mentioned includes the tax liability in the total sum liable for the tax. However, VRT liability is calculated on a VRT included value

Speaking of doing things the right way instead of the Irish way. Is everyone here still rollin' on Summer tyres in this icey snowy weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Speaking of doing things the right way instead of the Irish way. Is everyone here still rollin' on Summer tyres in this icey snowy weather?

No one is rolling anywhere these days, lockdown don't you know?

Aye. Well I broke traction on my all season boots this morning but no bother I can steer with an accelerator. Probably why it came to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Nope. Put my winter tyres on a month ago! :cool: Thinking of taking them for a drive in the snow this week ... mainly because the local supermarket is doing a promotion on double mattresses, and that size of thing is easier to transport in the camper than the car! :pac:

Turns out mud & snow are not so good on ice. :o
    At least the rubber doesn't turn hard and slick like a Summer tyre.

Sher it'll be grand...just drive slow eh!...
    Engine braking ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

importing a camper anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Nope holding out for the prices to plummet after Covid shenannigans end and all the new staycation camper owners admit that they hate camping 😃

Market is already filling up with lockdown puppies and boats

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shaileen

Hi really interested in this: if you go to UK via ferry passage and bring back caravan, do you not just look like you are returning from a holiday? Do they question every caravan passenger as to the ownership/purchase of their caravan?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

Silly questions;

Do you have to register a caravan?

if not then how does the revenue know that you have imported a caravan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭oinkely

No caravan registration in Ireland.

How do the revenue know - I guess they don't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

We were about to go to the England to pick up a pegasus last August, it just happened we found same one in Limavaddy and went there, but I was willing to "chance it" it would be difficult to prove either way.

Perhaps they may look for your ticket out? Ie, did you pay for caravan outward? That's one I thought of and was going to book bothways with caravan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭nd2no

Hi, I was looking at importing a camper from Japan & looking for some guidance. Can you advise how you went about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

A lot has changed since I did it. The NOX charge for example I've no idea how that applies to campers.

I used an agent in the UK, it cost £500 at the time and it was well worth it. You can get agents in Japan. Make sure it's a proper camper with a kitchen. Looks along the side for vents for a water heater or gas powered fridge. Look at lots of ad for van for sale in Japan or via sites that bought them at auction so you know the type and van and what's in them. Get to know the models and size of vans. Above all check you can get insurance on a camper before you but, if you have no car already or recent claims or are under 25 expect problems. Warning Jap vans will be heavy on Diesel like 12ltr to the 100 heavy so 200km will cost you 50 euro.

You'll have to pay

Auction bid

FOB - Fee on boards price (shipping)

Customs clearance agent about 200 euro

Duty

VAT on ( FOB +duty ) @ 23 %

NOX

VRT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭nd2no

appreciate the info & tips - i did not consider the NOX charge as well!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I'm looking for guidance on vrt rates for importing a 05 camper from Northern Ireland.

In short the owner has assured me that only VRT is due and no customs or vat because its from Northern Ireland.

I think vat is also due at 13.5% of the OSMP which is calculated by revenue and has nothing to do with HIS selling price.

He maintains only 450 vrt is due, but I dont know where he got that figure from.

Help us out please. Thanks

kadman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's give the tax office in Rosslare a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Any update on the Camper kadman. Did you buy, that VRT figure that you were quoted looked ridiculously low. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

All the info I found says that there was vat and customs due on it, so I thought the rate quoted too, sounded too good to be the correct rate. So I left it there. I have noticed too in the last couple of months that classic vw campers seem to be dropping in price compared to 6 moths ago. I'd say winter time might be a proper time to buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Thanks kadman, think I will stick with my plan B, namely doing a conversion myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭Shoog

Also noticed the drop in VW prices from their dizzy heights of a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Has anyone done this yet, it would be great to see a worked example from NI pre Brexit and NI or mainland post Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Also interested to know how people are getting on post-Brexit. I'm looking at importing a caravan. No one seems to be able to give a definite answer on if VAT is required. If you bought anything anything else (bar a car/campervan) secondhand you wouldn't pay VAT. Any time I google it gives me the campervan answer.

Advertisement