Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing used campervan from Britain post Brexit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

You're supposed to pay vat but it's quite easily avoided!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Is it avoidable if you're going to CRIS register though? I think that could be the stinking point. Unless one said that they bought it privately in Ireland I suppose.

Back to campervans:

Am I correct in saying the Import Duty and VAT are based on the actual sale price rather than the OMSP as per the VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Utterly confused with the VRT process on campers at the moment. I'm looking to bring in a vintage camper (1993) and my questions are.

Is it a flat €200 VRT fee as it's classic?

Is VAT on the OMSP or what I pay for it?

Is there other charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mac128

If you are buying a campervan from a dealer (business) in the UK then there will already be UK VAT in the price. If they export the campervan to a another country then the UK VAT rate changes to zero and VAT is then due at the point of import at the rate of the country it is imported into. But this may only be the case if it is a registered company in Ireland (with a VAT No.) that is buying the campervan i.e. an Irish dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Sorry to ask @MEGA BRO WOLF 5000 but did you ever get to the bottom of this or indeed follow through with the import? Looking at a mid 80's camper myself and I cannot make head nor tail of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jamesc99

Good evening,

I imported a Bailey caravan last year (summer 2022) it was second hand and I was required to pay VAT @ 23%. This ended up costing nearly €3000 extra when I included the ferry and travel expenses. Customs informed me that all caravans and campers must pay VAT , but if the caravan is manufactured in Britain you don’t need to pay the import duty. When I totalled everything up it would have probably made more sense to purchase something in Ireland.

You could have got away with that very easily by "holidaying" in NI on your way home

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

How did they know you’d just bought it and that you weren’t just coming home from a holiday? I’m just curious. I’m worried now if I ever have a caravan and holiday in the UK I’d have to prove it’s my caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Law89

just reading through the comments here its all very confusing, the revenue website is sh1te.

I did contact a place in the north about purchasing a Motorhome and this is what they replied

Once you buy a vehicle you present it with the invoice and registration certificate by appointment with your authorities, I'm told you have a period of 30 days to declare it. Your authorities will then value the vehicle and charge you V.R.T. which I believe is 13.5%. and of course the exchange rate on the day you transfer us the payment for the vehicle will dictate your cost in euros.

Post Brexit your authorities are likely to also charge extra duty @ 10% and/or V.A.T. @ 23% on vehicles from outside Europe. As this vehicle was last registered in Northern Ireland and before Brexit you should not have either or both of these to pay, again their website is the best source of advice.

so it sounds to me if you bought a camper in the north which was registered in the north pre brexit then no vat or customs ..... again would be grea if someone could actually clear this up ... the price of campers are crazy at the minute

I'm still no clearer on the situation. I'm gonna ring revenue on monday to get a clear answer. I've 3 ads saved and I'm gonna get quotes for em all.

Standard van.

Van concerted to camper.

Van concerted to camper but not registered as.

To me, the VAT is straight forward but the VRT figure is lotto numbers. I'll have a fair idea of what the best way or best van is to import.

There appears to be a saving (or at least I hope there is).

Something such as THIS: with zero rust, mot'd etc can be got for around 3k sterling.

Or you could have a similar van in ireland from some **** joker for...22.5k

There simply has to be a saving.

3k seems very cheap for that. I am in some UK transporter groups are prices are still saucy enough for converted vans.

Vat and import duty are calculated on the price you paid, including the cost to get the van to Ireland and the vat is paid on this price PLUS the import duty. These are only applicable if you can't prove the vehicle was NI registered prior to brexit.

Then VRT is based on the omsp of the vehicle, which revenue pull from thin air pretty much. You have to pay this but can appeal after

Yeah true. As it's a transporter shuttle on the particular van I quoted above VRT is close to 7k on it then add the customs and vat and in total a 3k van is in the region of 13. It's pure insanity what the revenue charge. Thats why personally Im focusing on an older van, vintage, it doesn't make sense otherwise.

I'm still trying to find something info on a pre 93 van and what that entails for VRT/vat/customs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I agree with the first point, the OMSP determined by revenue for my Rav4 was nearly 16k higher than what I paid. It wasn't possible to find an advert with a valuation as high they deemed. Yes I got money off through negotiation with the seller but I would have settled for them accepting the sellers advertised price, it is lunacy. Couldn't get them to tell me pre purchase and registration so foolishly took it at face value it wouldn't be far off the advertised price that was in line with many others.

On the second point about our reg plate system, any snobbery is the fault of buyers, not revenue. It is a beautifully simple system and whoever thought of it should get a commendation for achieving something no other country in the EU has. The simplicity that someone can recall partials of an Irish number plate accurately are phenomenal in my experience, it is a wonderful system they ruined with the 1 and 2 for seperate parts of the year, need to get rid of that BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭Shoog

The advantage of going vintage is that the mechanics are much simpler. Buy a vintage VW or Renault Master with the straight diesel engines and you should be able to do the majority of the mechaning yourself. Life expectancy on these engines can run to half a million miles with basic servicing. I do nearly all the mechanicing on my VW T4. Any more modern engine vehicle's and its a crap shoot if the servicing has been done and often missing a few service interval can shorten the life of the engine by years. Couple this to the fact that many mechanics hate working on modern diesels and will charge you an arm and a leg for the privilage. At €50.00 an hour minimum even simple problem can become cripplingly expensive to put right.

Looking at vans in the UK. Mainland. I got this from the simi website.

"VRT Category B – Light commercial Vehicles

The rate of VRT applicable to Category B vehicles, subject to a minimum VRT of €125, is 13.3% of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP)"

Is that the total charge? Is there nox and duty on that too? Irish vans are absolute **** heaps for my budget.

You still have to pay VRT on the OMSP of the camper once converted, you get a rebate of the commercial VRT off that.

What most people do is the absolute minimum needed to get it passed a camper so that the value is low - and then do a second tier conversion once registered - could save you the price of the good conversion doing it this way.

Import duty of 10% of the sale price (including delivery/transport costs), then vat of 23% on the total of that and then vrt at 13% if whatever revenue value it as...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Interagro1

If anybody has bought a van in the North could they share the percentage of the purchase price they paid in VRT. Example, buy a van for 22k Sterling = 26000 euro. VRT paid €5000 percentage VRT = 19.23%

Assuming the price paid for the van was appropriate to the age, condition and mileage this would provide a good guide to what Revenue would charge.

I'm picking mine up on Saturday and I'm bricking it wondering what the VRT will be

• Advertisement

Be careful! You may also be liable for vat and import duty.

When was the van registered in NI?

From new, it's 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi Fingers crossed for your Saturday date. I would be really grateful if you would post what the eventual import cost to you worked out at.I am looking at buying a similar aged van and its so hard to get a definitive answer. Thanks Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sirdeclan

Any updates on the Duty, Vat, and VRT on a camper/motorhome purchased in the UK and imported to Ireland.

I have a VRT inspection booked for August 15th, I should get the bad news a few days later. Will post the numbers then.

Are they doing this in the flesh, they did mine off the SQP reports photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brian.dunne

@jamesc99 did you declare the import before entering Ireland or were you stopped by customs at the port in Ireland? Was the caravan CRIS registered in your name before you boarded the ferry in the UK? I have purchased a 2018 Swift Sprite from the UK pending a successful Hab check and I'm trying to figure out if the caravan needs to be registered in my name before I can board a ferry in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brian.dunne

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering importing a caravan from the UK. I'm aware that I will need to pay VAT to import the caravan from Ireland. The caravan is a swift which is UK manufactured so I believe there are no tariffs.

Has anyone on here imported a caravan from the UK post-Brexit? Do you know if the caravan needs to be CRIS registered in your name before you can board a ferry in the UK? Are there any other checks/paperwork that I need to present @ the UK port that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Assume there is a NOX component for VRT on campers also ?

Edit appears not just 13.3%

• Advertisement

Hi, I have completed the VRT on my campervan. It came back at 16.3% of the price I paid for the van. There was no VAT or import duty as the Van was NI registered. Hope this helps.

Advertisement