Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish language is failing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

And that is why we should teach bilingualism rather than monolingualism.
    I thought we did, but I'm probably misunderstanding. Most people learn a bit of French or German, nowadays, no? I do, however, think we should be learning those languages, among others, from a far younger age, start teaching them in primary schools.
    (I presume he was still relatively fluent, yes?)
    No, his native tongue was Irish, second language was English. He was like a normal Spanish or Chinese student, that sort of level of English. Still more fluent than I ever was in Irish. Hadn't stepped foot out of wherever he came from until he was 18 and going to university in Maynooth.
    How some guy having trouble with English ... the same as meaning that all Irish speakers will have trouble with English?
    Not sure what this means. I was making the point that for that guy, Irish was his native tongue. You'd be hard pressed to find many people like him in the country. Most people's native tongue is English.
    Does it not annoy you when you're talking to someone from another country and they ask if you can speak Irish? Every time I have to say "no", I get a little disappointed in myself.
    No. As above, I explain it's not the native tongue of most Irish people, it's (if anything) their second language. Like many other Irish people, I know far more of other languages than I ever did of Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

The way people are going on here is to make Irish speakers seem like some backward natives who have the temerity to speak their language. No one gives out to any of the Indians in the Americas for not abandoning their tongues completely and operating solely through English/French/Spanish/whatever.

In Poland now they tried to stomp out the language, the Austrians/Prussians/Russians having a three way on them and doing their best to exterminate the very idea of Poland. Alot of them here are bewildered when I tell them Irish people generally don't like the language. Makes us pretty much the same as the British.

People who seem to dub it a waste of time and say we should learn other languages usually can't even speak another one. English speakers are always lazy. The standard of English is pretty shocking in Ireland when you have university students struggling to grasp the difference between they're, there and their.

I think the way it's taught in schools is a joke, making it optional would do a lot of good towards removing hostility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

English is the lingua franca, but just because it is, doesn't mean we should drop Irish. Many countries learn their native tongue, English, and an additional language. If you're bilingual/multilingual, you'll find it easier to learn another language. Which is why I want my kids, if ever I have any, but in a Gaelscoil and will go to a Gaeltacht every year.

You shouldn't put a price on national pride. There comes a time when the economics of a move simply doesn't account for the symbolism, I don't think we should put a price on learning Irish and say "well we've spent too much now, better just cut our losses".

Look if you want to learn Irish then great, go for it, it should be an option for people but I'm not a fan of patriotism so by extention I'm not a fan of learning it just to feel patriotic. I was born, bred and raised in Ireland and I'm very happy to be Irish but learning Irish never interested me in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lot of sense being talked in this thread, but we're only saying the things that should be obvious to everyone, including those who push it in the educational system. The will just doesn't seem to be there to change it in that arena, and since that's where most kids' first real contact with the language is, it's vital to create a positive impression at that level. If that hasn't been done in decades, you have to say at some point that it's probably not that it's happening out of a lack of common sense but apathy toward change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Reiver wrote: »
    I think the way it's taught in schools is a joke, making it optional would do a lot of good towards removing hostility.
    I think most people would agree with the first part of that sentence, and quite a lot with the second. Choosing to do a thing, rather than having it imposed, usually helps my attitude, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Perhaps the Maori approach to revival could be worth emulating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ori_language_revival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

"University students struggling to tell the difference between there, they're and their..."

Rolled my eyes at that.

"University students struggling to tell the difference between there, they're and their..."

Rolled my eyes at that.

Met plenty of people in the humanities who aren't able to handle it. Then there is the eternal curse of "I amn't"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

Will the teaching of Irish be an election issue next year?? - it being 2016 etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Therefore it, by law, is our mother tongue. English is, by and large, the de facto tongue but Irish has legal standing to be our first tongue.
    Being an official or national language does not make it the mother tongue of the people. That depends on what language their mothers spoke. Mostly, that would be English. Irish being our 'first tongue' is a ceremonial detail of no relevance to the day-to-day life of ordinary Irish people.

• Advertisement

Dughorm wrote: »
    Will the teaching of Irish be an election issue next year?? - it being 2016 etc etc...

Hopefully, this state's entire relationship with the Irish language will be brought to a head as soon as possible. The hypocrisy can only be tolerated for so long by people who care. It's time to be very clear about what sort of state we want, and aspire to have: a culturally English state with an Irish veneer as currently exists, or a culturally English state with an English veneer as the Irish haters want - i.e. remove all Irish language signs, stop funding the language in any way, shape or form, and throw all state resources into funding everything which supports the real English cultural identity of the state. That would be more honest, as things currently stand. The current state's lip service to Irish, a policy of undermine-through-containment (at best) of the language and promoting an Irish identity that's based on English culture over an actual Irish culture is embarrassing.
    The haters of Irish would do the lovers of Irish a favour if they pushed for the mother of all public debates on this. It would be liberating.

Of course, having an "Irish" state which is culturally as English as Kent (or Finchley) would lead immediately to an existential crisis for the state and the very idea of a sovereign Irish state which is simply an English state would lack legitimacy among a substantial number of educated, cultured and historically aware people in Irish society. What's the purpose of a separate Irish state if it's no different culturally to England/Britain except in being a poor man's England? What would the new state use to make itself distinctive from England/Britain? That's the key question. It's only a small step, or generation, before people say everything would be cheaper if we were part of a state with 60 million people. A breakdown in the EU project and there will be little to no obstacle for the assimilation of the Irish state back into an English state of some sort. That, too, would be more preferable to many than the provincial cultural assertions of "Irishness" such as "we pronounce the letter h differently" which amount to cultural distinction for a large swathe of people in Ireland.

For the above practical political reasons of the state's raison d'être, I won't hold my breath on an Irish government having the integrity or moral courage to abandon its duplicitous Tadhg an dá thaobh death by a thousand cuts approach to the Irish language, an approach which has always favoured the Irish haters even if they lack the wit to understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this evening in my local pub...

they were showing the Pro 12 final with the pictures from tg4 and the english commentary from radio 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

fryup wrote: »
    this evening in my local pub...

they were showing the Pro 12 final with the pictures from tg4 and the english commentary from radio 1
    What pub was this?

They don't have Sky Sports in your "local pub"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Of course, having an "Irish" state which is culturally as English as Kent (or Finchley) would lead immediately to an existential crisis for the state and the very idea of a sovereign Irish state which is simply an English state would lack legitimacy among a substantial number of educated, cultured and historically aware people in Irish society. What's the purpose of a separate Irish state if it's no different culturally to England/Britain except in being a poor man's England?

I never really get the inferiority complex people have about the fact Ireland is predominately an English speaking country and part of the Anglosphere. I never read Americans worrying about why their country exists because it mostly speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

psinno wrote: »
    I never really get the inferiority complex people have about the fact Ireland is predominately an English speaking country and part of the Anglosphere. I never read Americans worrying about why their country exists because it mostly speak English.

Because we have our own language the American's (non native American's) didn't.

They don't have Sky Sports in your "local pub"?

nope

nope
    Tell us the name of the pub.

They show rugby yet won't pay for Sky?

its a small rural pub, i won't name it

yes they don't have sky ...whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Forcing students to learn it for 12 years clearly hasn't worked. It should be optional for the leaving cert

its a small rural pub, i won't name it

yes they don't have sky ...whats wrong with that?
    OK you're from a backward $h1thole. All good, carry on.

• Advertisement

am, no its not backward and its not a sh!thole

am, no its not backward and its not a sh!thole
    Bogger

nope not bogger either

try again

nope not bogger either

try again
    Bogger? (not from Dublin = bogger)

Rugger? (your local pub doesn't even show it, you're not a rugger chap)

You are an uncouth, cabbage eating bogger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Have we failed it, or has the language failed us?

English has been the primary language of Ireland for more than a century now. I really don't see why there is such a strong desire to instil the Irish language into young people in schools and such. I appreciate Irish history and culture, but the whole language thing has always left me slightly confused; it seems to stem from the mentality of Pearse, who fetishized the language and viewed it as a tool to beat the English with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Experience.

Oh I don't doubt that you have had bad experiences of some people associated with Irish, teachers etc.. Paisley as a young man had a few bad experiences of Catholics, including having his holiday home near Cranfield Point burned down. It didn't mean that his reaction wasn't bigoted just as yours is.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

The philistinism shown by some posters is harrowing. Douglas Hyde, our first president, wrote an essay on the "necessity of deanglicising Ireland" I suggest some of ye read it on the web.

A beautiful language, venerated by linguistic scholars, treated as a paltry relic of no use in our modern Americanised/anglicised/modernised age.

NO! It is so frustrating to hear the language's death knell chime in the media, when there is so much that could be done. How much does it cost to change a ****ing syllabus? To subsidise linguistic excersions to the Gaeltacht? The plight of Irish could so easily be helped. No more stultifying and constraining poetry and prose, spoken work the whole way up along. If someone wishes to explore the wealth of Irish literature- let them do it at third level.

I'm currently in 6th year, and although my oral Irish is of a high standard my written Irish is poor due to my incompetence in spelling (as in any language for me) so I am not going to get a very high grade in my exam next week. But by God am I going to work at my spoken Irish for the rest of my life and use it at every opportunity.

The whole affair would put you in mind of Yeats' "September 1913". Without a doubt I am going to give my first general election vote next year or late this year to whomever has the strongest policy pertaining to arts and heritage (do any candidates even care about the like?).

Pragmatism is an ugly thing

Because we have our own language the American's (non native American's) didn't.
    Actually, according to the constitution, we have two languages: Irish and English. Most people prefer English.

It's a great pity that many Irish enthusiasts refuse to accept this and often refer to 'The Language'.

Perhaps English-speakers in Ireland don't want to learn Irish because they do't want to be associated with such a narrow-minded attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Deranged96 wrote: »
    The philistism shown by some posters is harrowing. Douglas Hyde, our first president, wrote an essay on the "necessity of deanglicising Ireland" I suggest some of ye read it on the web.

A beautiful language, venerated by linguistic scholars, treated as a paltry relic of no use in our modern Americanised/anglicised/modernised age.

NO! It is so frustrating to hear the language's death knell chime in the media, when there is so much that could be done. How much does it cost to change a ****ing syllabus? To subsidse linguistic excersions to the Gaeltacht? The plight of Irish could so easily be helped. No more stultifying and constraining poetry and prose, spoken work the whole way up along. If someone wishes to explore the wealth of Irish literature- let them do it at third level.

I'm currently in 6th year, and although my oral Irish is of a high standard my written Irish is poor due to my incompetence in spelling (as in any language for me) so I am not going to get a very high grade in my exam next week. But by God am I going to work at my spoken Irish for the rest of my life and use it at every opportunity.

The whole affair would put you in mind of Yeats' "September 1913". Without a doubt I am going to give my first general election vote next year or late this year to whomever has the strongest policy pertaining to arts and heritage (do any candidates even care about the like?).

You're in 6th year yet appear more educated and reasonable than 90% of people on this forum.

Hats off to you brother, I couldn't agree more, and I hope you go far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,653 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How much does it cost to change a ****ing syllabus?

Trust me, I;ve been askign that question since before you were born.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Eramen wrote: »
    You're in 6th year yet appear more educated and reasonable than 90% of people on this forum.
    What a pity this educated, reasonable person cannot see the racism, bigotry and clever deceits that permeate Hyde's essay.

A truly educated and reasonable person should question the toxic legacy of Hyde. Irish certainly has a cultural value, but not to the extent of justifying replacing English as our common language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Let it die!

It serves no useful purpose, and I don't see the point in kids wasting time learning irish when they could use that time to learn something beneficial.

Replace irish with something like diet & nutrition studies for example. Make THAT compulsory and at least kids will leave school with an understanding of how to eat healthy.

That would be more benefit than teaching irish. At least they'd have a life skill that would help them in the adult world.

Maybe we'd stop the obesity crisis in this country and save ourselves millions on govt healthcare costs etc.

Let it die!

It serves no useful purpose, and I don't see the point in kids wasting time learning irish when they could use that time to learn something beneficial.

Replace irish with something like diet & nutrition studies for example. Make THAT compulsory and at least kids will leave school with an understanding of how to eat healthy.

That would be more benefit than teaching irish. At least they'd have a life skill that would help them in the adult world.

Maybe we'd stop the obesity crisis in this country and save ourselves millions on govt healthcare costs etc.

I would suggest that the childrens parents should be looking after educating them on diet and nutrition.If parents are going to feed their children sh1te then no amount of education will make any difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

A beautiful language, venerated by linguistic scholars,

:confused:

i beg to differ, french and italian are beautiful languages...irish sounds like someone choking on tinfoil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The philistinism shown by some posters is harrowing. Douglas Hyde, our first president, wrote an essay on the "necessity of deanglicising Ireland" I suggest some of ye read it on the web.

NO! It is so frustrating to hear the language's death knell chime in the media, when there is so much that could be done. How much does it cost to change a ****ing syllabus? To subsidise linguistic excersions to the Gaeltacht? The plight of Irish could so easily be helped. No more stultifying and constraining poetry and prose, spoken work the whole way up along. If someone wishes to explore the wealth of Irish literature- let them do it at third level.

Pragmatism saves lives. You might not realise it since you're just a kid, but we have been in recession for the last 7 years. Public services have been cut back across the board. There simply isn't enough money for any serious change. Where would the money come from? Your taxes? :D
    Or would you remove some other front line services? Sack some paramedics?

Plus the main reason we've been flogging the dead horse that is the Irish language is because of culture nazis. It could have been changed years ago but that would have meant dropping all the ****ty poetry and prose from the course and focussing entirely on speaking the language. That didn't happen because the crap was considered far too necessary. It wasn't just about teaching Irish it was about imposing a particular culture on us. That's the reason stuff like Peig was forced on us.

Want to hear something ironic? Despite going through primary and secondary education in Ireland I can't speak Irish. I can however as a 40 year old atheist still say the Hail Mary and Our Father in Irish. That's what our education system was designed to do. And it was imposed on us by the people who claimed to be saving the language. It wasn't about the language, it was about their romantic ideals of what Ireland should be.

It's reached a point now where there simply aren't enough trained staff who can actually speak the language. In my final year of college one of the girls in my maths class was also studying Irish. Coming up to her orals she was studying like mad with her class. She was learning questions and responses by rote. She was laughing at the stupidity of it. Most of her class were doing the same. They simply couldn't converse in the language. These were university graduates in Irish who wanted to teach primary school and they were far from fluent.

The reason they were so bad was because they were a product of our primary and secondary education.

So, if we change the curriculum, who teaches it? Most teachers can't speak it fluently. It's a case of the blind leading the blind.

BTW, in the next election I'll be looking at how the government intends to spend it's money. Although arts is important (I'm very proud that most of our museums and galleries are free) Irish is not something I'll be focussing on. I'll look to see what economic policies are being pursued. I'll look at what the government is going to do for front line services. I'll see how the government will tackle poverty.

Because at the end of the day, Irish isn't that important. And it isn't for 99% of people. Health, policing, poverty etc are what people care about and for very good reason. Given the choice most people would rather pump money into that.

So honestly I don't think there's a will or even the means to save Irish. We don't have the staff or money and no-one is willing to invest the money into changing that.

• Advertisement

I would suggest that the childrens parents should be looking after educating them on diet and nutrition.If parents are going to feed their children sh1te then no amount of education will make any difference.

I would suggest that the parents teach the kids Irish. If it's that important surely they should. ;)

Nutrition is very important and it's very hard to pick up. I grew up in a meat and two veg household. I had no idea of nutrition and it too ages to learn about it.

On a separate note, do they teach first aid in school yet? I always thought that would be a fantastic skill for everyone to have when they leave school. It could be taught in transition year and it would actually save lives. Everyone should know the basics of CPR etc...

Currently learning irish produces little or no benefits to kids or the country as a whole.

Kids leave school and join the adult world. Even if they ate crap until they were 18 - they could still change that if they were educated properly on nutrition when in school.

We are educating kids to prepare them for adulthood where THEY are in control of their life!

So, yes it would make a difference. (What difference does learning a dead language make?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hopefully, this state's entire relationship with the Irish language will be brought to a head as soon as possible. The hypocrisy can only be tolerated for so long by people who care. It's time to be very clear about what sort of state we want, and aspire to have: a culturally English state with an Irish veneer as currently exists, or a culturally English state with an English veneer as the Irish haters want - i.e. remove all Irish language signs, stop funding the language in any way, shape or form, and throw all state resources into funding everything which supports the real English cultural identity of the state. That would be more honest, as things currently stand. The current state's lip service to Irish, a policy of undermine-through-containment (at best) of the language and promoting an Irish identity that's based on English culture over an actual Irish culture is embarrassing.
    The haters of Irish would do the lovers of Irish a favour if they pushed for the mother of all public debates on this. It would be liberating.

Of course, having an "Irish" state which is culturally as English as Kent (or Finchley) would lead immediately to an existential crisis for the state and the very idea of a sovereign Irish state which is simply an English state would lack legitimacy among a substantial number of educated, cultured and historically aware people in Irish society. What's the purpose of a separate Irish state if it's no different culturally to England/Britain except in being a poor man's England? What would the new state use to make itself distinctive from England/Britain? That's the key question. It's only a small step, or generation, before people say everything would be cheaper if we were part of a state with 60 million people. A breakdown in the EU project and there will be little to no obstacle for the assimilation of the Irish state back into an English state of some sort. That, too, would be more preferable to many than the provincial cultural assertions of "Irishness" such as "we pronounce the letter h differently" which amount to cultural distinction for a large swathe of people in Ireland.

For the above practical political reasons of the state's raison d'être, I won't hold my breath on an Irish government having the integrity or moral courage to abandon its duplicitous Tadhg an dá thaobh death by a thousand cuts approach to the Irish language, an approach which has always favoured the Irish haters even if they lack the wit to understand it.

And attitudes and daft notions like the above are one of the biggest reasons I always viewed the language with suspicion. It has long been the (Gaelic) football of the political and cultural crawthumpers on both sides. I think people, the vast majority of people are just tired of it and the associations that come with it. It's not the languages fault.

As for cultural differences? Much of what is called "Celtic culture" is a late 19th century reinvention, popular across Europe at the time. A dewy eyed look to the past in the face of the rapid changes brought by the industrial revolution. The English were at it too with their interests in makey uppy druids and the middle classes filling their homes with repro Tudor furniture.

To be fair the Irish language has real cultural depth to it, but it seems we just don't have the gra for it, or enough of a gra anyway. And this isn't a new thing either. Look to the Irish diaspora in places like the US. They dropped the language like a hot brick within a generation and most of those emigres were likely coming from Irish speaking areas. "Oh well they had to learn english to move up in the world", sure, but almost uniquely among the various diasporas they were exposed to english back home and they didn't have to drop the Irish language. Look at other groups. Many Italians kept their native tongue, as did the Chinese, the Germans did so to such a degree that in the first world war the US government had a propaganda campaign to ask people to "speak American" as in many states German was heard almost daily(with books, newspapers and the like in German). The Irish diaspora in the US is the second largest(after the German) numbering tens of millions and yet there are more Dutch speakers in the US than Irish.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Grayson wrote: »
    I would suggest that the parents teach the kids Irish. If it's that important surely they should. ;)

Nutrition is very important and it's very hard to pick up. I grew up in a meat and two veg household. I had no idea of nutrition and it too ages to learn about it.

On a separate note, do they teach first aid in school yet? I always thought that would be a fantastic skill for everyone to have when they leave school. It could be taught in transition year and it would actually save lives. Everyone should know the basics of CPR etc...

Most parents don't have the time or the skills to teach a language and I would say the only realistic way to revive it is through the education system.

Good nutrition and health is fairly easy thing for parents to pass on to their children.No fast food ,lots of fruit and veg and a bit of exercise and there wouldn't be as much obesity in this country.Thats pretty much the way things were 30 or 40 years ago and obesity wasn't an issue.

Most parents don't have the time or the skills to teach a language and I would say the only realistic way to revive it is through the education system.

Good nutrition and health is fairly easy thing for parents to pass on to their children.No fast food ,lots of fruit and veg and a bit of exercise and there wouldn't be as much obesity in this country.Thats pretty much the way things were 30 or 40 years ago and obesity wasn't an issue.

A lot more to nutrition than that. If there wasn't then why do we have college degrees in nutrition that take many years to complete?

What you eat is far more important than what language you speak! (Or in the case of irish - don't speak)

• Advertisement

There's more to nutrition than don't eat junk food. There's how to actually prepare a healthy meal. How to eat a balanced diet.

Obesity wasn't an issue but that's not the only diet related ailment that people have (Hell, being obese might not even be that unhealthy).

A lot more to nutrition than that. If there wasn't then why do we have college degrees in nutrition that take many years to complete?

What you eat is far more important than what language you speak! (Or in the case of irish - don't speak)

I'm sure there is but I'd imagine seeing as most children are not going on to be pro athletes that sticking to a fairly sensible diet would be fairly good way to start, and if you just eliminated all the sh1te people eat they'd more than likely be a lot healthier.

I'm sure there is but I'd imagine seeing as most children are not going on to be pro athletes that sticking to a fairly sensible diet would be fairly good way to start, and if you just eliminated all the sh1te people eat they'd more than likely be a lot healthier.

I'm just back from the far east. They sell M150 (An energy drink that's illegal in the EU) to kids in the playground.

At least we're not that bad :)

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    What a pity this educated, reasonable person cannot see the racism, bigotry and clever deceits that permeate Hyde's essay.

A truly educated and reasonable person should question the toxic legacy of Hyde. Irish certainly has a cultural value, but not to the extent of justifying replacing English as our common language.

Please, show example of such bigotry in the essay.

Being culturally nationalistic can, believe it or not, exist independent of prejudice. Furthermore, when someone reads a historical document, you read it context, in the case of Hyde's essay: 1892, after Parnell had fallen and constitutional nationalism was in it's weakest position in 30 years.

What toxic legacy has Hyde imparted on us? he seemed reasonable, set up
    Conradh na Gaeilge to unite people through Irish, irrespective of religion or political alliance. he was vehement that the organisation would not become political and alienate unionists, and he resigned as president of the organisation when it did so.

To your man who construed my comment that pragmatism is ugly to mean I'm ignorant of practicality, don't be redundant.

Ugly does not equal useless.

Right, but we currently have spiralling govt health spending, much of which can be traced to our bad health choices. So if it was so simple to eat healthy, why do so many people get it wrong?

Using the wasted time and resources currently spent on teaching a dead language, to make an attempt at solving that problem might be worth a shot!

Maybe a kid who is well educated on nutrition could teach their parents a few useful things too. ;)

I used nutrition as one example. But in reality there are lots of things you could pick to replace the irish language in schools. It really would not be difficult to replace it with something more worthwhile, because currently there are almost zero practical benefits to learning irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm just back from the far east. They sell M150 (An energy drink that's illegal in the EU) to kids in the playground.

At least we're not that bad :)

I'm sorry but I can't see anything that suggests that M-150 is any way illegal in the EU. So I don't see where you are getting that fact from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Irish is not that difficult to get to intermediate standard. After that it gets more difficult, especially to get to fluent.
    But the solution to increasing the standard of Irish, is to encourage adults to learn it and wait for the knock on effect.
    also all primary school teachers should be fluent Irish speakers, no exceptions.

the reality is no government has ever cared about Irish and I would love to see an all out long term plan to make Irish as the main language.
    Ireland is one of the cleverest nations, we could easily speak both Irish and English. all we need is a government to drive it.

the reality is no government has ever cared about Irish and I would love to see an all out long term plan to make Irish as the main language.
    Ireland is one of the cleverest nations, we could easily speak both Irish and English. all we need is a government to drive it.

In order to have the will to drive such a movement, you need a strong desire among the majority of the populace.

That desire simply does not exist in enough people.

This is because there are almost zero practical reasons to learn it. English meets our needs perfectly.

Allocating money and time to teach a dead language just to engender more national/cultural pride? There are much easier ways to achieve that goal.

We don't need to be fluent in the dead language of our ancestors in order to feel pride in who we are. That's an antiquated philosophy.

It sucks that the Brits killed our language, but they didn't kill our culture. That's still alive and thriving!

We are now an English speaking nation, which gives us tremendous advantages.

And we speak English in our own unique way too, so it's now very much part of the modern ireland we live in.

Allocating money and time to teach a dead language just to engender more national/cultural pride? There are much easier ways to achieve that goal.

We don't need to be fluent in the dead language of our ancestors in order to feel pride in who we are. That's an antiquated philosophy.

But it's not dead.

This post makes the native speakers of Irish in the country sound like some primitives on a reservation.

In order to have the will to drive such a movement, you need a strong desire among the majority of the populace.

That desire simply does not exist in enough people.

This is because there are almost zero practical reasons to learn it. English meets our needs perfectly.

It sucks that the Brits killed our language, but they didn't kill our culture. That's still alive and thriving!

We are now an English speaking nation, which gives us tremendous advantages.

And we speak English in our own unique way too, so it's now very much part of the modern ireland we live in.

The Brits didn't kill our language, we did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement